Order a high-quality 18"x24" poster print of this page. Add to Cart

Delaware County Daily Times Newspaper Archives May 14 1990, Page 3

Low-resolution version. To view a high quality image

Start Free Trial
Delaware County Daily Times (Newspaper) - May 14, 1990, Chester, Pennsylvania Female Mfd die resigns after prank Annapolis Mil apr a female midshipman has resigned from the naval Academy after she was pulled from her closed dorm room by male middies who handcuffed her to a men s urinal and taunted her while others snapped photographs. The culprits were punished with demerits and a loss of leave time but the Academy administration decided the incident was a a Good natured Exchange that got out of hand Quot so no stronger punishment was meted out Hie Annapolis capital reported yesterday. Gwen Marie Dreyer resigned last month dissatisfied with the Academy s investigation into the dec. 8 incident at the formerly Al male military institution. She will study engineering at Cal poly in san Luis Obispo Calif. Dreyer s father a 1967 Academy graduate said she was intimidated by classmates who warned her not to testify at a formal disciplinary hearing. A Oshe was told her life would be made miserable Quot Gregory Dreyer said. Midshipmen 2nd class John Hind Inger and Tom Rosson were punished with demerits and a loss of leave time according to records. Later six other kids were Given written warnings for their lesser parts in the incident. The Academy ruled however that the assault was not premeditated and therefore could not be considered hazing which can Lead to dismissal. A Odon t get me wrong i was bowled Over when heard about this. It has never happened before to my knowledge Quot said Academy superintendent Virgil l. Hill or. A but this escalated from a snowball throwing incident minutes earlier. So what started out As Good natured Exchange got out of hand. They overstepped a two . Servicemen gunned Down in Philippines commie rebels suspected by Eileen Guerrero associated press writer Manila Philippines a suspected communist rebels murdered two american servicemen near an air base yesterday on the eve of talks Between the United states and the Philippines on extending the lease on . Military bases. A third american told reporters he managed to escape. The . Military cancelled All off Post leaves for the 40,000 . Troops defense department civilian employees and military dependents in the Philippines following the attack. T the assailants escaped and there was no immediate claim of responsibility. Including the two men yesterday eight americans have died in politically motivated slayings in the Phillip Ines since april 1989. . Officials believe All the killings were carried out by communist rebels. An american officer who refused to give his name said the airmen were waiting for a cab on Samson Street near Clark when two or three filipinos approached and shot them in the Back of their Heads with .45-caliber pistols. The rebels often use such guns in Street attacks and fire at close Range. Asked whether it appeared the attackers were rebels the officer replied a what do you think pistols two or three assailants bases talks tomorrow a philippine police identified the dead As airman John Raven 21, and airman James Green 22. They were assigned to the 8th aircraft generation Squadron on temporary duty Here from Kunsan air base 110 Miles South of Seoul South Korea. A third american airman 1st class Randall Moore 23, told reporters he was haggling with a cab Driver for a ride when he heard shots behind him. A of ducked and ran Back toward the hotel a Moore said. He said his unit arrived in the Philippines on May 3 for the annual Cope Thunder military exercise which ends / Friday. The area near the .-run Clark air base has been a communist stronghold since the 1940s, and sgt. Robert Abad of the National police operations Center for Central Luzon said authorities suspected communist rebels. Abad said the americans who were wearing civilian clothes were slain about 8 30 . 8 30 . Edt near a hotel a half mile from the main Gate at air base 50 Miles North of Manila. An air Force spokesman maj. Wayne Crist confirmed the killings but gave no details. He refused to release the names or hometowns pending notification of relatives. Crist said the air Force ordered All troops Back to the base after the killing. Those living off base were restricted to quarters he said. Early this morning the Navy announced on the military to far East network that restrictions had been imposed at All six . Bases. Navy rear . Roger Rich issued the order in his capacity As representative of associate editor Philip Heron a 622-8885 a laser photo slain . Servicemen lie in Street after ambush in Philippines. The . Pacific command. Armed filipino troops were deployed around Clark after the killings. It was the first attack on americans at Clark since october 1987, when three americans and a filipino civilian were slain by rebels outside the base. . And philippine officials had expressed concern the communist rebel new people to army would try to kill americans before the talks which were to begin today on extending the lease on Clark the Subic Bay naval base and four smaller facilities. The lease expires in september 1991. On May 4, suspected rebels killed american Marine gunnery sgt. John Fredette near Subic 50 Miles West of Manila. . Officials barred off Post leaves for . Troops defense department civilians and military dependents following Fredette to slaying but relaxed the ban a few Days later. ,./�?�,> to / s Quot i f of t r \. F

Search all Chester, Pennsylvania newspaper archives

All newspaper archives for May 14, 1990

Browse
Order a high-quality 18"x24" poster print of the page above.