Aiken Standard (Newspaper) - September 16, 1989, Aiken, South Carolina
Lebanon Fighting Flares/Page 2A
Starrett Sentenced/Page 6A
September 16, 1989
Aiken, South Carolina
Midland Valley South Aiken.....
North Augusta ..
Ppd., Saturday Night
Vol. 122 No. 227
Co-Op Shows Unity Behind Leaders
Consumer-Owners Calls Council's Decision On Granting Power Rights To SCE&G Unfair
A Quick Read
New AIDS Test Gives Results On The Spot
WASHINGTON (AP) — A simple, 10-minute test expected to be licensed later this year uses colors to tell patients if they are infected with the AIDS virus — white for health and blue for medical tragedy.
The test, now undergoing trials at nine centers, will enable people worried about AIDS virus exposure to be tested within minutes at their doctor’s office, instead of having to wait to hear from a distant laboratory.
“It provides a new means for patients to learn of their AIDS status and still retain anonymity,” said Jarel R. Kelsey, president of Murex Corp., a Norcross, Ga., firm that developed the test. “Once this method is widely available, it will encourage more people to determine their status.”
Indicted Pharmacist Deceased Since May
PHILADELPHIA (AP) - An attorney said he was startled to learn about the indictment of a client on drug charges. The client died in May.
Mark Klugheit said he read Thursday in The Philadelphia Inquirer of the indictment of pharmacist Sheldon M. Markind for allegedly trafficking in prescription drugs.
Klugheit said that the Drug Enforcement Administration had investigated Markind for three years. When Markind died of a heart attack May 18, Klugheit said, he notified the federal authorities but prosecutors never returned his calls.
J. Alvin Stout, one of the federal prosecutors handling the case, said that Klugheit’s calls earlier this year had not Been relayed to him.
“And we never received anything written about the death,” Stout said.
Stout said that even though Klugheit told him by telephone of his client’s death, he would need to see a death certificate to formally drop charges.
Today should be mostly cloudy with a 60 percent chance of thunderstorms, decreasing to 40 percent Sunday. High both days will be in the mid-80s with a low tonight in the upper 60s. Please see details on Page 8A.
Robert H. Goff, Saluda Please see details on Page 6A.
By CARL LANGLEY Staff Writer
In a show of solidarity, more than two dozen consumer-owners of the Aiken Electric Cooperative joined utility leaders Friday to call “grossly unfair” Aiken City Council’s preliminary decision to award power rights in newly annexed ar-
eas to South Carolina Electric and Gas.
City Council, at its meeting Monday night, agreed to sign a franchise agreement with Aiken Electric, but in the same proposed ordinance said it will consider SCE&G the primary power supplier for all newly annexed territories.
A public hearing and second reading of the ordinance is scheduled for Oct. 2.
The council’s decision means many developing subdivisions and commercial centers, primarily in the south side, will be assigned to SCE&G if the owners have not signed service agreements with Aiken Electric before their annexation.
Aiken Electric has vigorously opposed such action because of “territorial rights” it claims it has held on the south side and other once suburban and rural areas for nearly 20 years.
The territorial rights status, setting aside service areas for both Aiken Electric and SCE&G, was assigned in 1973 by the state Public Service Commission on
order of the General Assembly. The same agreement also allows municipalities to decide who will be the primary power supplier within a corporate limits.
At Friday’s news conference, Jerry Pate, public affairs spokesman for the state’s cooperatives, attacked the council decision as an example of government taking customers away from one business and giving them to another, especially a people-owned business like Aiken Electric.”
(Please See CO-OP, Page 8A)
Bush Not Budging On Gun Ban Issue
GOING HOME: To the delight of well-wishers and chagrin of his wife, Nancy, Ronald Reagan doffs his cap exposing his partially shaven head. The former president underwent surgery last week in Rochester, N.Y., to remove fluid from his brain, the result of an accident. He left the hospital Friday morning to return to California.
By The Associated Press
WASHINGTON — President Bush today lamented the “horrible” loss of life when a man with an assault rifle went on a rampage in a Louisville, Ky., printing plant but said he still opposes legislation to ban such weapons.
“If you have somebody who is deranged, and I don’t want to prejudice this poor soul, but if he was deranged, I’m afraid you’re going to have incidents like this,” Bush said.
In a luncheon interview with out-of-town reporters, the president was asked what bv would say to the families ft the victims of Thursday s rampage by a man who used a AK-47 assault rifle and other weapons to shoot 20 of his former co-workers, killing seven of them and himself.
“I would tell them, I feel horrible about the loss of life... I would tell them we must do everything we can to enforce laws that are already on the books,” Bush replied.
The president has banned the import of foreign-made assault rifles into the United States, including the Chinese-made AK-47. However, possession of the weapon is not a federal offense and Bush has taken no steps toward proposing curbs on U.S. manufacture of such weapons.
Bush answered a wide range of questions with a group of reporters after a luncheon in the State Dining Room.
On the subject of guns, the president, a longtime opponent of gun-control legislation, noted
Workers Counseled...............................Page 2A
that many local government do have measures banning automatic and semi-automatic weapons.
Bush said Thursday’s shootings in Louisville reminded him, as a Texan, of a 1966 incident in which a sniper who occupied a tower on the campus of the University of Texas in Austin shot 44 people, killing 16.
“It is terrible and the loss of human life is horrible. But I have seen no evidence that a law banning a specific weapon is going to guard against ithe said.
“So, my view is: do everything you can in terms of education, do everything you can in terms of enforcing your laws that are on the books.”
Bush recalled that years ago, he went to register his own hunting guns to comply with a District of Columbia law requiring registration of all firearms.
He said he asked the clerk if “criminals” had complied with the law and was told, in return, that no, just “a bunch of suckers like you....”
Bush also said he was strongly opposed to the legalization of drugs and that it would never be given consideration at the federal level as long as he was president.
Returning to the issue of new taxes for fighting crime and drugs, the president said that, while he wouldn’t advocate new federal taxes for building new prisons, he could understand if state and local governments raised taxes.
“I’m going to try to hokfthe line as president of the United States on federal taxes.”
PTL Workers Lost Jobs But Bakker Bonuses Continued
By The Associated Press
CHARLOTTE - PTL founder Jim Bakker continued to receive huge bonuses while the troubled TV ministry was laying off hundreds of workers, witnesses testified today in his federal fraud and conspiracy trial.
“I had to go to social services and apply for welfare and food stamps,” said Joanie Ames, a former PTL payroll clerk who was laid off in November 1985 along with 285 other PTL employees.
Less than a year later, on Nov. 3,1986, the PTL board approved a $500,000 bonus for Bakker. He had also received other bonuses during the year.
The Rev. Evelyn Spencer of Oakland, Calif., who joined the board in November 1985, testified that the largest bonus she remembered approving was $150,000 plus taxes.
But when asked by prosecutor Deborah Smith if she would have approved a $500,000 bonus for Bakker, Ms. Spencer said: “If everybody else agreed with it, I would have.”
She said she trusted Bakker to keep board members informed of the ministry’s financial condition. “I just trusted him, period,” she said.
Prosecutors contend Bakker diverted $3.7 million in PTL funds to fund his lavish lifestyle. If convicted of all 24 counts against him, Bakker could be sentenced to 120 years in prison and fined more than $5 million.
On Thursday, Bakker’s right-hand man at PTL testified that the evangelist gave his TV viewers phony fund-raising figures and knew that $265,000 in church funds went to Jessica Hahn as hush
(Please See PTL, Page 8A)
Justice Dept. Files Bias Suit Against Buffalo Room Owners
From Staff Reports
NORTH AUGUSTA - The Department of Justice, moving against complaints from a number of blacks, said Friday it filed a lawsuit against restaurant owners Bruce and Rose Salter and Salter Enterprise Inc. charging racial discrimination.
The complaint, entered in U.S. District Court in Columbia under Title II of the 1964 Civil Rights Act, alleges the owners of the Georgia Avenue restaurant engaged in a pattern of racial discrimination.
The suit said the two did this by “denying to black persons, on account of their race, the use and enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and accommodations of the Bufflo Room on the same
basis as they are made available to white members of the general public. ” Justice Department documents said the Salters nave “refused to admit black persons to the Buffalo Room, have asked black persons to leave Hie remises of the Buffalo Room, and ave refused to serve black persons at the Buffalo Room.”
“Congress acted over 25 years ago to outlaw the kind of blatant racial discrimination uncovered here,” stated Acting Assistant Attorney General for Civil Rights James P. Turner.
“It is simply outrageous that such conduct continues and this department will act promptly and forcefully to redress such violations wherever they still occur,” he added.
(Please See JUSTICE DEPT., Page 8A)Bush Vows Flexibility In Drug Funding
By The Associated Press
WASHINGTON - President Bush promised Friday to be flexible amid Democratic demands for a boost in drug war spending, while the Rev. Jesse L. Jackson said the plan fails to “match the breadth of this social crisis.”
Bush told reporters after a luncheon in the State Dining Room that he still prefers the $7.9 billion drug war he unveiled on national television last week but added, “we’re flexible.”
Jackson, testifying on Capitol Hill, told lawmakers that the “Bush plan does not
wage war on material and spiritual poverty, which are the preconditions for the drug crisis.”
He said the plan underestimates the arsenals of drug dealers, lacks sufficient funds and needs input from national and community leaders with extensive experience in fighting the drug problem.
Their remarks cae as Senate negotiators of both parties met for two hours and broke reporting progress in the quest for a financing compromise.
“It was a good step,” Senate Appropriations Committee Chairman Robert C. Byrd, D-W.Va., told a news conference
following the meeting.
“At this point, I would say that everything is very much on the table,” Sen. Mark Hatfield, R-Ore., said.
But a Byrd plan to generate an additional $2.2 billion for the drug war with a half-percent, across-the-board cut in federal programs, opposed by the administration, remained part of a transportation bill awaiting final action.
The administration is opposed to the cut, which would slice $1.8 billion out of the Defense Department’s budget.
Hatfield said Republicans would present an alternative financing plan when
the 18-member negotiating task force returns to the bargaining table Monday.
Repeated applause and a few shouts of approval from spectators marked Jackson’s testimony before the House select committee on narcotics.
“We need a new initiative equal to the scope and depth of the problem,” the former presidential hopeful said.
Jackson shook hands warmly with national drug policy director William J. Bennett, who preceded him as a witness at the hearing, but his remarks were sharply critical of both Bennett and Bush.