Aiken Standard (Newspaper) - October 26, 1989, Aiken, South Carolina
NFL SMH Seeks New Leader
A Quick Read
Builder Developing Private Toll Road
LEESBURG, Va. (AP) - Transportation officials at home and abroad are watching plans for a 15-mile stretch of road in congested northern Virginia that the builder says will be the first private U.S. toll road in 30 years.
“I love a traffic jam,” said Ralph L. Stanley, former chief of the federal Urban Mass Transportation Administration and president of the Toll Road Corp. of Virginia. “They’re all customers to me.”
The $155 million road would extend the existing Dulles Toll Road, adding a third east-west route from the Leesburg area to the nation’s capital, Stanley said.
Taiwan Jet Crashes On Domestic Flight
TAIPEI, Taiwan (AP) - A China Airlines’ Boeing 737 carrying 49 passengers and seven crew members crashed into a mountainous area today while traveling from the eastern city of Hualien to Taipei, airline officials said.
Officials said the jet left Hualien, about 90 miles southeast of Taipei, at 6:54 p.m. (6:54 a.m. EDT) and crashed into a village about five minutes later.
No other details were available.
Sen. Glenn Slugged At Tree Ceremony
WASHINGTON (AP) - A “yuppie-type” man faces arraignment on a charge of slugging Sen. John Glenn one day after authorities say he broke through a police line and approached Vice President Dan Quayle’s motorcade.
Glenn, a former Marine officer, rubbed his jaw and said “I haven’t been hit like that in 30 years,” said Gary Nurenberg, a television reporter who was talking to the senator Wednesday when a well-dressed stranger approached from the side and landed a solid right.
The man, identified by Capitol Police as Michael Breen, 31, of Washington, was muttering about earthquakes and the Pope, Nurenberg said.
Fair skies are forecast tonight with a low in the low 40s. Tomorrow will be mostly sunny. The high will be in the uppper 70s. Please see Page 6A for details.
E. Stanley Bach, Aiken Irene D. Cannon, Augusta Charles Lee Edwards, Baker, La. Rosa Lee D. Levingston, Aiken Ernest E. Sligh, Columbia Mary Toole, Aiken Please see Page 6A for details.
Salaries For S.C.Teachers On The Rii
Thursday, October 26, 1989
Aiken, South Carolina
Vol. 122 No. 267
Theft Not Ruled Out In Probe Of Missing Tritium
By ROBERT BURNS Associated Press Writer
WASHINGTON — Three-quarters of a test shipment of tritium, a key ingredient in nuclear warheads, was lost between buildings at a Tennessee weapons plant a year ago, according to government documents released.
The documents obtained Wednesday said investigators could not rule out theft as an explanation for the disappearance of a little more than two grams of tritium, though no evidence of theft could be found.
Ironically, the test was arranged as part of an internal investigation at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory into the cause of discrepancies in the amount of tritium shipped from the lab to commercial buyers.
Jim Alexander, an Oak Ridge spokesman, said Wednesday he did not know whether the tritium in the test shipment had been recovered. He said efforts to resolve the discrepancies in commercial shipments dating back to 1985 were continuing.
Tritium, a radioactive form of hydro
gen, boosts the power of ordinary nuclear warheads and provides most of the energy of thermonuclear weapons. Most tritium produced in the United States is for weapons, but about MO grams a year — seven ounces — are sold to domestic and foreign companies that use it in biological research and in making luminous lights and dials.
Only a few grams of tritium are needed in most weapons. The nation’s entire inventory of tritium has been estimated at about 40 kilograms to 50 kilograms, 88 pounds to 110 pounds, spread over thou
sands of weapons.
Production normally has been a few kilograms a year, but currently the department’s production reactors at the Savannah River Site in Aiken are shut down for safety renovations.
Commercial shipments from Oak Ridge were suspended last July while a joint team of experts from the Energy Department and the Nuclear Regulatory Commission conducted an investigation. This group reported in late July that it
(Please See THEFT, Page 5A)
SUSPECT IN CUSTODY: Sheriff’s deputies place a suspect into nap J car on Vauduso Road after
Staff Photo By Ginny Southworth
Wednesday’s chase. Bloodhounds were called in to assist local enforcement officers.
Teen Fugitive Eludes 4-Hour Search
By PHILIP LORD and KEITH WARD Staff Writers
An extensive four-hour manhunt, that involved a juvenile felon, scores of police officers and several bloodhounds, ended in frustration yesterday for authorities as the youth slipped through their nets.
The drama began at approximately 1:10 p.m., with an anonymous tip to police that a child was picked up by four black males in a white GMG Jimmy truck. The tag number was also given by the caller. The Aiken County Sheriff’s Department immediately suspected a kidnapping, said Aiken County Sheriff Car
rol G. Heath.
A check of the vehicle’s tags revealed that it had been reported stolen near Atlanta, according to Daisy Miller, Aiken County Investigator.
A county police officer then happened upon the stolen vehicle on Croft Mill Road, and attempted to arrest the four men, county authorities stated, officials said.
After arresting two of the suspects, Mrs. Miller arrived on the scene and apprehended a third man, she related.
The 16-year old youth, though, managed to escape to a nearby wooded area.
Following their arrest, the three were taken immediately to the Aiken County
Detention Center. They explained that after picking up the child, they dropped him off at his grandmother’s house in Balltown, Sheriff Heath said.
Police went to the grandmother’s house and found the story true. The child was unharmed, authorities said.
One of the trio of suspects arrested was a juvenile. The other two were identified as Joe Nathan Green, 21, of 345 Nicholson Dr., Aiken, and Linwood Johnson, 23, of 391 Nicholson Dr., Aiken. All three were charged with possession of a stolen vehicle.
The youth who bolted, said Mrs. Miller, (Please See TEEN, Page 5A)
Trade, Hugo Don't Affect Healthy Economic Growth
By MARTIN CRUTSINGER AP Economics Writer
WASHINGTON - The U.S. economy grew at a moderate annual rate of 2.5 percent from July through September despite the poorest trade performance in six years and a $4 billion income loss from Hurricane Hugo, the government reported today.
The Commerce Department said the increase in the gross national product, the broadest measure of economic health, matched a 2.5 percent rise in the April-June quarter. Third-quarter growth was aided primarily by a boom in consumer spending that resulted from heavy car sales.
Inflation showed a marked improve
ment in the third quarter, with a price index tied to the GNP climbing at an annual rate of just 2.9 percent, down significantly from a 4.9 percent annual advance in the first half of the year.
Through the first nine months of 1989, the economy has grown at an annual rate of 2.9 percent, exactly on target with the Bush administration’s forecast for the whole year.
Many economists predict the country will flirt with a possible recession over the next 12 months because of expected weakness in such areas as trade and business investment.
The economy was also held back in the third quarter by a $4 billion loss in personal incomes attributed to the devastation from Hurricane Hugo, which hit the
Source: U.S. Dept of Commerce
Southeast in September.
The estimate of income loss was attributed to uninsured losses and loss of rental income by property owners.
Rushed To Bush
Not Enough, Says California Senator
By STEVEN KOMAROW Associated Press Writer
WASHINGTON - A $3.45 billion earthquake relief plan for California — Congress’ largest disaster aid bill — awaits President Bush’s signature after being rushed through the House and Senate.
The White House said Bush would sign the legislation this morning. Hie measure also is aimed at averting a federal government shutdown today and keeping the government operating through Nov. 15 while Congress and the White House complete some late spending bills.
“This bill is an unprecedented federal response to a disaster of unprecedented dimension,” Rep. Glenn Anderson, D-Calif., said Wednesday.
But the Californians predicted they’d be back for more.
“We have done a little better than a down payment,” said Rep. Vie Fazio, D-Calif. He predicted a request for more aid in the spring, but said the current bill would help provide “some sustenance, some security, and some comfort in their hour of need.”
The bill was given final congressional approval Wednesday night when the House accepted, by a 303-107 vote, a Senate amendment that added to a $2.85 billion relief plan the House passed Tuesday.
The Senate beefed up the package, which it passed 97-1, by waiving federal rules that would have slowed the flow of money to the state and blocked federal aid in some cases, including repair of the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge.
In addition to the $2.85 billion in federal spending passed by the House, the Senate voted to allow earthquake victims, as well as those rebuilding from Hurricane Hugo, to take more out of a Small Business Administration disaster fund. That could bring an extra $600 million more to California, sponsors said.
The legislation dwarfed the previous largest disaster bill, a $1.1 billion package passed only a few weeks ago in response to Hugo.
Many expect the San Francisco-area quake to rank as the costliest natural disaster in U.S. history, with estimates running above $7 billion.
The emergency legislation includes $1.1 billion for the Federal Emergency Management Agency, $1 billion for highway repair and a $250 million fund for the
(Please See QUAKE, Page 5A)
Report Raps 'Lame-Duck' FEMA In Hugo Response
By KATHY KADANE States News Service
WASHINGTON — The dispute among over how well Washington had responded to Hurricane Hugo went another round Wednesday when a House legislative research group alleged that the Federal Emergency Management Agency was “fighting disasters without leaders.”
The report, issued by the Democratic Study Group, a legislative research arm of House Democrats, cited “the disturbing slowness” of the Bush administration to name appointees to federal posts — a failing, the report said, that could have
Power Rates Won’t Rise..............Page 1B
had bad effects for South Carolina.
Calling top FEMA “temporary holdovers” from the Reagan administration, the report said they lacked the “confidence” of the White House.
As a result, they do not have clout within the administration necessary to mobilize resources that are needed quickly in South Carolina, the authors wrote.
“While these individuals do not have the confidence of the White House, they remain on the payroll awaiting the nomination of their replacements,” the DSG
staff members wrote.
The FEMA positions cited in the report as being vacant or filled by “lame-duck” appointees were director, inspector general, associate director for external affairs, associate director for state and local programs, administrator of the Federal Insurance Administration and administrator of the U.S. Fire Administration.
Robert Morris, the agency’s former deputy director, has been acting director since June. The position of deputy director is unfilled.
The position of associate director for National Preparedness is filled pending
confirmation, the report said.
William McAda, a spokesman for FEMA, called the allegations in the report “pure malarkey.” Although some top FEMA officials had not been asked by President Bush to stay on, he said, they had also “not been asked to leave.”
He also denied the agency had been slow in responding to Hugo victims.
“We opened disaster assistance centers four days after the president declared a disaster,” he said. “That is standard operating procedure.”
(Please See REPORT, Page 5A)