Aiken Standard (Newspaper) - May 29, 1989, Aiken, South Carolina
70,000 Protesters Rally In Moscow
Waltrip Wins Coca-Cola 600
A Quick Read
Hurricane Forecasters Want More Help
CORAL GABLES, Fla. (AP) -Forecasters preparing for Thursday’s opening of the Atlantic hurricane season wish they could predict the arrival of new technological help they say may be crucial to evergrowing coastal populations.
The Air Force has agreed to fly hurricane reconnaissance flights for two more years, but has made it clear it plans to phase out the missions. And only one satellite is available for tracking hurricanes.
“We just have nothing right now to lean on,” says Ken McKinnon, a spokesman for U.S. Rep. Tom Lewis of North Palm Beach, Fla., who has introduced a bill in Congress to keep hurricane hunters flying at least another five years. “We’ve got one satellite and they’re telling us it’ll do the job. If it blinks, how do you track weather?”
Author Of Sequel Addresses Alma Mater
CHARLESTON (AP) — Alexandra Ripley, who’s writing a sequel to “Gone With the Wind,” doesn’t like giving speeches, but that didn’t stop her from keeping a promise to her high school alma mater.
Ms. Ripley was the commencement speaker Sunday at Ashley Hall, a private girls’ school in Charleston. The speech is to be her only public appearance until the much-awaited sequel to Margaret Mitchell’s original is published in September 1990.
A few years ago, the Charleston-born, 1951 Ashley Hall graduate promised to be a commencement speaker at Ashley Hall.
Fair skies are forecast tonight with a low in the upper 50s. Mostly sunny skies are forecast Tuesday with a high in the upper 80s.
Please see details on Page 5A.Deaths
Dorothy W. Anderson, Walla Walla, Wash.
Mattie J. Barton, Philadelphia, Pa.
Pauline M. Blanchard, Aiken
Emory Briggs, Aiken
Dr. R.R. Clifford, Augusta
Connie F. Clyde, Columbia
Grover M. Davis, Belvedere
Eddie Holloway, Trenton
Richard M. Johnson Jr., North Augusta
Claude B. Monroe, Newberry
Leila F. Murphy, Graniteville
Matella F. Paul, Greenwood
Harry Lee Rhoden, Ward
Karen S. VanNess, North Augusta
James J. Williams, Aiken
Please see details on Page 5A.Inside Today
• ■■ " <""■ ..........- ■ ■ "I—..I——
wmakers Trying To Balance Budget
TVikm blanda rh
Monday, May 29, 1989
Aiken, South Carolina
Vol. 122 No. 128
Bush Proposes Troop Reduction
President Challenges Soviets To Match Plan
By The Associated Press
BRUSSELS, Belgium — President Bush today proposed a 20 percent cut in U.S. combat troops in Europe and challenged Soviet President Mikhail S. Gorbachev to order comparable troop withdrawals to “transform the military map” by 1993.
“Here we go now, on the offense, with a proposal that will test the Soviet Union,” said Bush, clearly seeking to seize the initiative in East-West relations at the opening of the two-day NATO summit.
Finessing a divisive quarrel among Western leaders over the issue of modernizing short-range nuclear missiles, Bush countered Gorbachev’s recent disarmament proposals with a major plan to achieve balance between the conventional forces of NATO and East-bloc Warsaw Pact armies.
Challenging Gorbachev at a televised news conference after he outlined his proposals for 15 other NATO leaders, Bush asked: “How serious are you? Do you really want to reduce the imbalance... or do you just want rhetoric?”
Bush’s plan included a ceiling of 275,000 troops each for the American and Soviet sides in Europe, which would require a 20 percent reduction in U.S. troop strength and a withdrawal of 325,000 Soviet troops
to achieve the same level.
U.S. troop levels in Western Europe now range between 305,000 and 325,000, while some Western estimates put Soviet troop strength in Central and Eastern Europe at more than 600,000.
After first briefing the Western allies privately, Bush sent Gorbachev a letter on Sunday outlining the U.S. proposals.
Today, Bush won an enthusiastic response from Western leaders who had been pressing Washington to regain the offensive from Gorbachev.
British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher said Bush’s proposals had “transformed the summit,” and West German Chancellor Helmut Kohl — a key figure in the missile dispute — hailed the president’s “great initiative for rapidly
reducing conventional arms.”
Bush thus succeeded in taking the summit spotlight away from West Germany’s demands for early East-West negotiations to reduce and perhaps eliminate short-range nuclear missiles in Europe.
Bush ruled out any such negotiations soon, at least until a comprehensive conventional arms agreement is implemented, and said he would never accept the idea of a nuclear-free Europe.
The president said a NATO working group had been established to seek a compromise on the missile dispute.
In another major move, Bush said he was recommending that the West drpop its nine-year automatic ban on transfers
(See BUSH, Page 10A)
U.S. Observes Memorial Day
Staff Photo By Scott Webster
LOCAL VIETNAM VETERANS: Sgt. Terry Overstreet (from left), Sgt. Jesse Canaday and Staff Sgt. Jackie Stone are three of the men in the Graniteville Armory of the National Guard who served in Vietnam.
Some Local Veterans Of Vietnam Still Help Defend Their Country
By FRAN PODA Staff Writer
Some Aiken County soldiers who spent time in Vietnam are still in the business of helping defend their country.
Sgt. Jesse Canaday, Staff Sgt. Jackie Stone and Sgt. Terry Overstreet are three of the men in the Graniteville Armory of the National Guard who were in Vietnam. All three were there in their early 20s, left the military for a while, then joined back up later.
Today, Memorial Day, soldiers who have given their lives are remembered. A large memorial in Washington, D.C., remembers those who died in
Vietnam. Overstreet visited it.
“One of my wife’s cousins was shot down,” he said. “His name was there.”
But these were three of the lucky ones, and Stone was especially lucky. He spent much of his time at the front, breaking his armored personnel carrer (APC) through the jungle, never knowing when he’d run into a bunker complex.
Canaday was an engineer, running asphalt and rock quarry operations, supplying materials needed for roadways. He was there for 18 months, in 1967-68. He was 20 when he went to Vietnam — going straight from Korea. He volunteered for the
(See SOME, Page 10A)
By The Associated Press
U.S. and German soldiers reunited in Chicago, flags adorned a highway in rural Nebraska and a memorial to Vietnam veterans was dedicated in Baltimore as the nation paused to honor its war dead on the Memorial Day weekend.
Massachusetts Gov. Michael S. Dukakis was scheduled to attend ceremonies today in Beaufort to bury the remains of 19 black Union soldiers missing in action . ainee 1863. The remains are believe’ .ft be those (rf members of the 54th Massachusetts Regiment — the first black regiment in the nation's history.
Revelers enjoying the start of the summer vacation season flocked to the nation’s parks and beaches Sunday. Thousands attended the Jambalaya Jam festival in Philadelphia, while hundreds lined a beach in Wildwood, N.J., to watch the East Coast Stunt Kite Festival.
In many places, however, traditional observances were altered to provide moments of solemn reflection on the sacrifices made by Americans who lost their lives in wartime.
In New York, several thousand people stood quietly as a fireworks display ended with a lone bugle playing “Taps” as a barge off of the South Street Seaport was enveloped in red smoke and fire.
“This isn’t to make the drunk guys with hot dogs cheer. Anyone can do that,” said Bruce Bassman of Garden State Fireworks of Millington, N.J. “But to get them to cry, to bring them to some kind of feeling.”
These two children place roses at memorial headstones at Arlington National Cemetery Sunday in honor of America’s war dead.
And there were no parades, bands or speeches at a ceremony at the Tidewater Veterans Memorial in Virginia Beach, where participants received flags bearing the name of a serviceman who died in combat.
“Last year we had speeches and
(See U.S., Page 10A)
Student Activists Divided Over Occupation Of Square
By The Associated Press
BEIJING — Student pro-democracy protesters split today on whether to press on with their three-week occupation of central Tiananmen Square, grappling over how to face the anticipated conservative backlash.
Hardliners who have seized the upper hand in the government have moved relentlessly in recent days toward snuffing out the 6-week-old movement.
Workers were reportedly being fined for taking part in demonstrations — few were seen in a march Sunday by about 80,000 people, mostly students — and troops called under martial law were said to have occupied Beijing’s biggest steel plant.
The state-run press, which only a week ago was filled with heady reports of the democratic protests, was churning out propaganda material.
Leading moderates were reportedly in retreat.
Sources said provincial officials have received documents chronicling “the serious errors” of reformist Communist Party General Secretary Zhao Ziyang, reportedly stripped of his post for seeking reconciliation with the students.
Others who similarly advocated political reform or supported compromise with the students are expected to be pun
ished or purged.
“We cannot leave the square! ” student loudspeakers blared today. “If the People’s Liberation Army suppresses us, we will become an exemplary model for all future movements to come.”
The announcement, said by the loudspeaker to be from a leadership group, added to the confusion of who was in control of the movement and whether the students had veered toward a more confrontational stand.
Beijing student leaders had earlier proposed staging a massive victory rally on Tuesday, then leaving. But students from outside the capital, many of them recent arrivals, have resisted.
The Beijing leaders have cited the unsanitary conditions on the square, occupied by students since May 13, and the need to shift the course of the 6-week-old movement.
Students, they contend, should begin going out among the populace to explain their goals. The protesters seek more democracy, including a free press and an end to official corruption.
Wang Dan, one of the Beijing leaders, said late Sunday that he was determined to leave on Tuesday and expects the Beijing students to go with him. About 10,000
Researchers Say Nuclear Sub Had Reactor Accident In 1973
(See STUDENT, Page 10A)
By The Associated Press
WASHINGTON —■ The Navy had a serious mishap 16 years ago with the nuclear reactor inside one of its submarines, despite claims it had never had such a propulsion accident, private researchers charged today.
“The Navy had a major nuclear accident and then lied about it,” asserted William Ar kin, a researcher with the Institute for Policy Studies, a liberal Washington think tank. “We caught them with their bellbottoms down.”
The Navy denied it had ever tried to cover up news of the accident, describe ing it as a minor mishap in which “there were no serious injuries or radiological problems, the ship remained fully capable to perform any mission required of it and there was no damage to the reactor.”
The service acknowledged, however, the incident had never been publicized, and spokesmen were unable to say why the sub’s deck logs and official command history made no mention of it.
“According to the deck logs of the USS Guardfish for April 21,1973, which we obtained, the submarine was ‘Underway submerged as before’ for the entire day, without incident,” Arkin said.
“In fact, the submarine suffered a primary coolant leak ... and then surfaced, ventilated, decontaminated and repaired its reactor unassisted. Five crewmen were later sent to the Puget Sound, Wash., Naval Hospital for radiation monitoring.”
Willis S. Rich, the sub’s skipper at the time and now a professor of engineering at Boston University, said in an interview about the report that had he noticed there was nothing in the log about the accident, he would have told the navigator to add the information.
“It was a minor mishap,” he said. “Nobody was injured. But it was a primary coolant leak and you can’t take that lightly.”
Arkin and Joshua Handler, a researcher who heads the Greenpeace environmental group’s Nuclear Free Seas Campaign, released their findings today. The Institute for Policy Studies and Greenpeace are about to publish a study of serious naval accidents around the world.
Earlier this month, the two researchers disclosed new details about the loss of a hydrogen bomb off the coast of Japan in 1965.