bera of the firm informed us that they are ready to fill orders, large or small, from eaci place of business, or from bond, at such figures as defy competition, GEOMMES 2 ULLRICH. This firm is located at Nos. 199, 201, and 203 Randolph street, and they are among the largest dealers in wines endiiquors in the Western Bixies. They are also large importers, and sole agents for the Western States for J oppmann, Wurzburg, Nuinert, Pere File, Neims; G. H. Mumm Co., Reims; Jo seph Falck, Mainz, Franch (Freres, Bor deaux; and a large number of other popular brands of imported wines. This firm was organized in 1860, and at the time of the fire was doing business at 146 South Clark street, at which place they lost a very large stock of goods and other property. They, however, immediate ly resumed their business, and in twelve days afterwards were filling orders as usual from their new location on the corner of Peoria and Madi son Streat. Aside from being extensive dealers in wivea, they also handle a large number of the most favorite brands of Kentucky whiskies, dis tiled by MacPrayer, Bond Lillard,Taylor, Jr., Frazier, which line of goods they mate a specialty. ‘The building they occupy in four stories in height, including basement, 542165 feet, and is one of the best-arranged wholesale liquor houses in the city; the bulk of their im ported goods, however, is stored in the bonded warehouse. They employ ample capital, and their future business prospects are very promis ing. BROOKS NEEMES, As in most branches of commerce where ar ticles are considered a luxury, that of confec tionery is one of the largest. _The consumption of this article, could any where near exact facts be given, would indeed be surprising, and, as all are supposed to indulge to some extent, it is necessary that we have it pure, unadulterated with poisonous coloring matter, chemicals, and and other ingredients as are detrimental to the health. And among the many confectioners, who have an excellent reputation in all their dealings, no one house could be better chosen for an example than that of Brooks Neemes, located at Nos. 23 and 80 Michigan avenue. This firm has been in existence some sixteen years, under the name of C. W. Sanford, but was suc ceeded, however, by the present firm in January 1871, and located at 33 Randolph street, where they remained until that eventful period just three years ago, when, like many others, the accumulations of years were swept away; but, having been successful in all their business transactions for so lough period, they met their obligations promptly, and, quick ly rallying, they reorganized at Nos. 25, 29, and “7 Peoria street, near Lake, where they were in full running order by the 25th of November fol lowing. At this place they remained until September of 1878, when they moved into the spacious quar ters they now occupy, Wuich was fitted up ex pressly for their business, the manufacture and este of candy. The building is large and com mandious, being 40 feet front and 12 feet in depth, and is four stories in height, besides the basement. As this is one of the largest con cerns in the West, we will indulge in = minute and detailed description, and hope it will not be tedious to the reader. And, commencing at the upper floor (something quite unusual, however}, we observed that the front portion is exclusively devoted to the manufacture of gumdrops, com prising all the varietics. And, by means of steami-warming apparatuses, a drying-room is kept at a required temperature. The rear por tion of the door is used for ornamental and fancy candies of all kinds. The front part of the third floor is devoted to crystal works; it also contains two drying-rooms, one of which is used entirely for manufacturing rock caniy, consequently, for this purposs, the heat of this room is necussarily kept at a very high tempera ture, it being between 150 and 100 deg. The other drying-room is used for drying lozenges, extreme heat not being required for this pur pose.The lozenges are manufactured in the rear portion of the third floor. Sticks (that is what we were accustomed to term them when boys), drops, and the more common grades of randy, are manufactured on the second floor. The main, or store floor proper, is set apart for packing, shipping, etc., and also on this floor are their fine and extensive office and sample room. The basement, which is level with the ground at the rear, is mainly the place where all goods and mmaterials are received which area to be employed in this extensive business, and just here it is quite appropriate to mention that this house alone consumes over 15,000 barrels of sugar per annum. From this the reader may be able to form some idea of their immense business trans actions. The basement contains a large drying room, for the express purpose of thoroughly drying and seasoning, the boxes in which the candies are packed, in order that they may not spot while being transported to their many cus tomers. The boiler and engines are situated in the front part of the bosement, and the boiler is of much larger capacity than the engines, this surplus steam deiby utilized in the different drying-rooms. All their pan-work, algo, is done in the basement, such as the manu facture of sugared almonds, cloves, imperials, etc. And, in short, al! Tae Tristse can gag in regard to the manfacturing of this line of goods is, that they cannot be excelled. This institution is the largest, most perfect, and best-arranged house of the kind we have ever had an opportunity to see. The machinery is perfect, and made after the most valuable and latent improvements of the age. In fact, every thing is complete in itself, and is managed in a systematic order seldom witnessed. Armd, speaking of the transactions in business of this house having so wonderfully increased during the past three years, we will say that their trade extends throughout the North and Southwest ern States and Terrtories. Blesers. Brooka Neomes have before them a bright and pros perous future, on which Tur Timanye takes presence in congratulating them. GARDEN CITY CHEMICAL WORKS. Hurck Knox are the proprietors of the above establishment, and are large manufacturers of a very popular line of perfumeries, flavoring ex tracts, etc. The business was established in 1875, by Husck Bros., at No. 162 State street. They were succeeded by Husck Randall, who located at No. 34 South Water street. Air. Ran dall then sold out to Mr. Knox in 1869, since which time the business has been transacted under the firm n name just given. They were burned out at No. 34 South Water street in 1871, after which they took up temporary quarters at Nos. 57 and 59 West Lake street, where they remained until the completion of their present location, No. 33 Michigan avenue, which is a four-story basement brick, 25x170 fest, the whole of which is occupied by them as Beles, manufactory, and store rooms. Their business furnishes employment to some forty persons, and, in point of volume, their transact ions are second to no other establishment of the kind in the country. Their shipping-books show that they end groods in all directions, from Portland, Mec., to Portland, Ore., and from the Gulf of Mexico on the south to the Red River of the North. In short, it is a live and prosper ous establishment. CHARLES GOSSAGE Co. As an example of business thrift and com mercial prosperity among the dry-goods houses, Tue ‘Yuinuxne can do no better than to select the firm of Charles Gossage Co., of Nos. 106, 108, and 110 State street, and Nos. 60 and 62 Washington street, occupying that entire corner except the portion which belongs to the First National Bank. They were in the same location in the fall of 1871, when that great dis aster occurred, “the Chicago fire, and they re- occupied it as goon as it was rebuilt after that calamity,—with considerable enlargement, how ever. There are many fine and noteworthy fea tures about this house which merit—and, space permitting, should receive—a minute description, —at least some of the more prominent ones. Aside, we must omit extended details at this time. In the first place, not only lasthe house retained its old customers, but attracted a large and daily-increasing patronage from all sections, and gained favor beyond any conception of our readers. This they merit, not only on ac count of the reliable manner in which they deal with their customers, taking the old adage as their motto: **honesty is the best policy,”—n the ultimate, of course.—but the standard and high grades of goods, always keeping the best fabrics, highest finished such superior in quality, tolerating no mixs ra presentation whatever, under any circumstances, to their customers. Messia, Charles Gossage, Co. have one specialty, which is the manufacturing department, in which they are prepared to supply outfits for parties, wed dings, etc, and, if it is not inappro priate here, eur. readers, who have had the pleasure of sight-seeing at the real stow of Chicago this season, are referred to their elegant and artistic crystal bazar, £ tied with the most attractive suits, evening dresses, c., from the popular bazars of Worth, Lafererie, and others. There ere some of the richest and most Magnificent costumes manufactured placed on exhibition in the Exposition. They are credita ble to the makers; and from these the admirers of thne styles may form some idea of what can be furnished by the firm of Carlos Gossage Co. In fact, it is generally conceded that this establishment is authority for all the leading styles by the more fashionable portion of our community. In brief, the house of Claries Cos sage Co, in one of the most popular and at tractive in the city our readers will remember that this a retail house, and yet its employes in the different departments number about 300 per sons, and, in the volume, of its trade, or ‘in its reputation, it has scarcely a competitor in the country. And, if as prosperous in the future or in the past, they must soon occupy the first posi tion in the retail dry-goods interest. CARPETINGS, ETC. Among the many mercantile interests that show a rapid development during the past half dozen years, is that of carpetings, oil-clothe, upholstery, and other house-furnishing goods in that line. There are many prosperous houses in the city crgeged in that branch of the trade, but as our space will not admit of nothing more than one or five, we will call the attention of our readers to that of Allen, Mackey Co., lo cated at No. 233 State street, corner of Jackson. This firm have just taken possession of their new quarters, having until quite recently occu pied two buildings in the camp block. Their present quarters, however, are sufficiently com menidious to admit of combining their two busi ness houses in one. This, we believe, is the oldest wholesale carpet-honse in the city, but, be that agit may, they have the reputation, and justly, too, of carrying the largest and most at tractive stock in the city, and also of doings larger and more prosperous business than any do their competitors. ‘This house was established in 1854, since which time their business ‘has in creased to an extent that is almost without 9 parallel. Each member of the timer large experience in that branch of the mercantile trade, which,in a measure, accounts for their large success in business. Being posserved of large re sources, the firm has always been in a condition to take advantage of the market, and beuce their goods are laid down at prices that enable them to duplicate the rates charged at the sea board markets, 'their commercial standing, and their extreme popularity, both among local and interior buyers, have always enabled them to take the road in this line of business, and we can therefore parely point to them as an index of the character of the carpet trade and its rapid ex pansion in Chicago for the last half-dozen years. Like many others, Meserg, Allen, Mackey Co. were heavy losers by the great fire. But they did not lose their energy, or popularity, for ecarvely had the smoky of the conflagration passed away, ere they had resumed; business, and pow, that three years have Singeed, 80 Pros perous have they been that they have entirely covered their losses,and are to-day on as sound and prosperous a buaig;and their future is more promising, than at anyother date in their buai-, neza history. Ce ~ Among the many houses of furnishing goods in the city the firm of BLOWN, PRIQA FISt, located in Ely’s Building, corner of Wabash ave nue and Monroe streets, takes, the lead. This hons a catera to no other but the very best and first-class trade in the city.At the time of the great disaster, three years ago, this firm, which suffered Juases, but recuperating shortly occu pied convenient quarters on the southwest cover of Peckcourt and Wabash avenue, from whence they removed into their present eligible location. And as our space will not admit, we will only undertake to enumerate some of the specialties which they deal in, which are mainly the Sam Brown ebirt (a name that was given it by the manager of Tie ‘Trinuns). Cartwright Warner's celebrated English underwear, and Dent, Allcrofte Co.'s dress kid and driving gloves, Mr. Brown himself superintends the cutting department, therefore customers who patronize this establishment may rely on having their garments made in the latest angle, and also securing a perfect it. We regret that we have not a more extended space at our command to devote to this firm, but as we have not, we will say that in furnishing goods it has a most popu lar reputation. . JOHN J. M'GRATH, As it is our primeze to select one or two houses in each branch of trade, we must not pass by that of paper-hangings and window shades. And, as we endeavor to choose the lead ing ones of each clase, we will take for example the house of John J. McGrath, located at Nos. 174 and 176 State atreat. This Longe was estab lished in 1860, and, during the ten years preced ing the fire, Mr. McGrath brought his business up from seell nonentity to be the leading house this side of the Allegheny Bountains. But since the fire of Oct. 9, 1871, a still greater increase has favored this house, so that now it defies all competition, notwithstanding his losses by there were more severe than all the rest of the trade combined. But, while they entered in to all kinds of compromises andettlements at a low per cent, he went ccurageously to work, and, by clove attention to business, paid dollar for dollar of his indebtedness. Immediately after the great conflagration, Mr. McGrath located limeulf somewhat temporarily at the corner of Stata and Twelfth streets, where he ordered a new stock, from which at one, orders were filled from all portions of the North west, and from that time until the present his business has wonderfully enlarged, even reach ing an increase of 300 percent. But no doubt his success is due in part to the manner in which his goods are pit before the public. ‘Vain is, we believe, the only house of the kind in the city which is conducted on this play, that of sonding out traveling sincemen, not only throughout the Western States, but into the Territories of Colo rado, Utah, etc. Other dealers in this line of goods will,not doubt, adopt the same plan in the future, as it is a source of great profit. We might with propriety mention some of the finest grades of paper-hangings and window-shapes, such as the French, English, German, etc., all of which are selected with the utmost care and maste, by Mr. McGrath himself, Le being thorough by practical in this line, and well as a sannt with what the people of the Woat demand in this branch. The retail department is under the control of one of the finest art decorators in the country, Mr. Joseph Turyman. This gentleman is con versant with all the leading European architects’ and designers' works. Not only the patterns and novelties, from the old world, bus original de signs, comprise a large part of his work, and also the latest mode of decorating, which is said to be equal, by those who are competent judges, to anything of the kind in the world If we had space we would point out the many magnificent dwellings and business homes in this city that show the handiwork from this establishment, and which else furnish evidence of the superior goods employed in their decora tions. But not having such space at our com mand, we can only say that a considerable por tion of the line interior ornamentations through out the city are the productions of this well known friaz. Mr. McGrath employs none but the most finished workmen, men of experience and taste, which in a great measure accounts for his wide-spread popularity and the large amount of patronage that it has enjoyed, both on local and interior account, JOUN C. PARDRIDGE £ Co. For information in the line of tobacco and cigars, our rendee are referred to the wholesale and jobbing houses of John C. Pardridge Co., situated at No. 47 Lake street, and 41 State street. One week after the fire,—they being then at Nos. 48 and 50 Dearborn street,—they resumed business in a temporary building erect ed on Michigan avenue, and, notwithstanding they lost 860,600 aside from their insurance, their business was but temporarily interrupted, 28 they were ready to fill all orders. large or small, inside of two weeks. It will be well, per haps, to give the reader some idea of the fine tobaccos. handled by this firm. they are acting in the capacity of agents for the well known P. Lorillard Co.’s brands, and just here we will indulge in a few facts and figures, which perhaps may give our readers come little idea of what this immense firm are doing (P. Lorillard Co). You may be some what surprised, or rather astonished, when we state that this house has actually paid to the United States as a revenue tax, within the last eight years, the enormous sum of $10,423,933.29. This is a fortune in itself. We will attempt to describe only some of the more popular brands which Measrs. Perdridge Co. are handling. We all know that a tobacco manufactory is a very common thing, and that in a city like this one could select at almost any corner a house for a fair ex ample, but it being our policy to take such housea as carry ord manu facture the best brands in the market, we here selected this firm. There is no more popwar brand than the “ Durham,” manufactured by W. T. Blackwell Co. This era ars also exclusive agents for the “ Love Jack.” 2 smoking to bacco well known to be the Snort, without ex ception, in the United States. They carry u a most comple stock of cigars, both domestic and Havanes, of which they are false and direst importers. The * Goldon Crown is a domes tic cigar, which has so popularized itself during the past sixteen years that there have been many infringements upon it, causing much trou ble in the way of prosecuting offenders. This firm has been obliged, the past season, to greatly enlarge their capacity. The firm consists of J. ©. Pardridge, W. H. Russell, and William Best, of Chicago, and Lorin Palmer, of New York, Messia. Rus sell and Best were only admitted into the part nership in 1873, although connected with that business for eifteen years. Under the present auspices Tu Taipone can only say that there is no doubt whatever of rest:autecous in the fu ture, as their seles for the priat year have ex ceeded that of any other merey than 25 per’ cent, DAPTON'S GUNPOWDER. All sportsmen are familiar with that pame on the labels of the cana, cannisters, and Legs that are specially made to hold with safety this dang gerous yet“ nocéesery compound of nitro, wul pour, and charcdel ; few probably know more of the article beyond what ie name may suggest. To the Uttle State of Delaware berings the honor of having within her borders the exten sive works founded in 1832 by Eleuthere from Dupont, whose sons and grandsons now own them. On the Liver Brandywine, immortalized by the scenes of Revolutionary War days, 4 miles from the thriving City of Wilmington, the commercialz adtropolia of the State, are the original world, producing 5,000 pounds of sport ing powder per day. There are now belonging to the irm of LE. J. Dupont, De Nemours Co., twelve complete manufactories. Several of these are over in Pennsylvania, where the bloat ing powder, principally for colliers’ use in the mines, is manufactured. “4. By the additions made to thir works in 1812 and 1936, and since, the firm is able to furnish 1,000,000 kegs of, sporting and ‘mining pow ‘der a year,The works might be said to constitute a small city of themselves. A railway equipped with passenger, as well as freight trains runs between the works “and Wil mington.. ‘The dangerous character of the burr heas naturally isolates such works, and compels those who engage in the business to work, live, and provide within themselves. There are be longing to the work machine f shops, saw, plan ing, and even syoden, and flour mills, carpenter, Ltacksmith, cooper, and tin-shops; and finely cultivated farms are attached to the works. In 1871 alone, 8,500,000 portada of saltpetrs and nitrates of soda ‘were used. In the Crimean war the allied army purchased as larger amount of their supply from these ‘7 works. Agencies and magazines have been estslished in all important cities of the United States, South America, and the Indies. ‘The general headquarters of the Northwest is in this city at No. 7 State street, corner of South Water, under the charge of Mr. J.J. Whitehouse. The firm owns real estate’in the city to the value of half a million dollars. The magazine is large enough to hold 25,000 kegs. ‘The various grades for sporting, ordnance, treworks, blast ing, and other purposes are the standard grades of the trade. CULVER, PAGE, HOYNE co. The well-known firm of Culver, Page, Hoyne Co., manufacturers and jobbers of paper, blank books, and stationery, printers, book binders, and publishers of commercial and low blanks, is one of the oldest in Chicago. They bought out Stacey Hoisington, who established the business in 1934, and occupied the loft at the corner of Lake and Alnarx streets. The new firm remained at this place until March, 1571, their business having increased to such an ex tent as to require twelve floors 20x30 feet. In the fall and winter of 1870-'71 they built an elegant structure, 415x190 feet, fivexutories high,at Nos. 118 and 120 Monroe street,—one of the largest and most convenient establishments of its kind in the country. The fire of October, 1871, swept this building and its contents away, but the firm immediately re-established themselves at Nos. 11 and 13 North Desphaines street, renting a portion of the Northwestern Manufacturing Company's building, and running in connection there with 3 branch at No. 541 Wabash avenue, the former residence of Mr. Enos Ayers. They commenced rebuilding on the old eita immediately after the fire, and moved into it July 1,1872. It is a structure, somewhat plainer than the other, though much heavier and more substantial, and since its completion their business has steadily incrensed. Fler printing offices occupy the entire fowri door, and a part of the third, be tween thirty and forty hands being employed. The binding department is on the fifth four, and here from thirty-two to fifty men and girls are always busy. The stock of blank-books, foreign and domestic stationery, and the commercial de partment is in the bessment, on the first floor, and part of the third—the latter being the storage-room for cspital packages. The trade of the first extends over the entire Northwest, and the Western and South western States. hey do on large buggi ness in wols and matterial for book binders and printers, manufacturing them selves nearly all they acll. Their shop for turn ing out paging and numbering machines, book binders’ implements, etc. is in the basement. They have the beat facilities for dying printing in all its branches,—railro, bankers’, insur ance, legal, public, commercial, etc., and manu facture blank books of every description for bankers, merchants, insurance companies, county officers, general public officers, etc. They also get up specialties for county officers, among which may be mentioned machines for assisting in the computation of taxes. The establishment of Messrs. Culver, Page, Horne Co. is cer tainly the most complete of its kind in the United States, and the work turned out by them is equal to that of any other, and superior to the produc tion of many firma. After leaving the above institutions visit was made to the wholesale drug house of UURLAUT EDSALL, located at Nos. 75 and 77 Randolph street. J. H. Beer Co. embarked in the drug business in 184, and from this house the present firm emanated. On that fatal 6th of October, just three years ago, they were located on the corner of Wabash avenue and Lasko street, and for a short time afterwards had temporacy quarters on State, near Twelfth street. But in a few months, however, they moved down into the heart of the business portion of the city, at New 44 and 46 River street, but, their rapidly increasing business soon re quiring larger premises they removed to their present eligible quarters. It is almost needless to say anything regarding the extent of their trade throughout the Northwestern States and Territories, as the house is well known abroad, especially the senior member, Mr. Hurlbut, who has been connected with it since 1859. In their present location they have an elegant store, which is well in keeping with the class of goods they deal in, as they confine themselves exclu sively to that class of drugs, chemicals, etc., which are considered of the superior qualities. Their sales have had a large increase during the ast three years, and they are to be congravi ated on their success in business. So far we have endeavored to select the lead ing houses of each line in the city, and, in order to continue it, we will choose the concern of YAIRDANK, PECE CO., refiners of lard and manufacturers of lard oil, located at No. 112 Dearborn street, their factory being situated on the corner of Eighteenth and Blackwell streets. When they commerced oper ating, some eleven years ago, they had only of capacity of handling 100 tierces per day, but the refined lord has met with such favor with the consumers, and has obtained such a world-re nowned reputation as being superior to any ever produced, not only at some, but at the East, that it has been necessary to greatly increase the capacity of their works. And to such an or ient have they done this, as to be able to handle 800 tierces per day, which is an increase equal to 809 percent in eleven years of business. And like every other branch of business, their trade has grown since the fire of 1471,—peraps in still greater ratio than before. This institution is a fine example, and is indeed are which our city may well feel proud of, as it is necessary in order to consume the great quantities of lard in this great pork-packing city. Tun Terie can congratulate Messrs. Fairbank, Peck Co. on their success in business, and hope thew future may be as prosperous as has been their past. C. SL. WOODMAN Co. Among the many prominent manufacturing interests in Chicago, is that of bread, crackers, etc. And as an index to the magnitude of sich intercet, we will point to the extensive bakery of C. L. Woodman Co., situated at Nos. 195, 198, 200, and 202 Clark street, between Bonroe and Madison streets, into winehenacions and mag nifcens quarters the firm moved only a few weeks a0, having for nearly three years, or ever since the fire of ISil, bean Kitusted at the corner of Adsins and Canal streeta, in a temporary building, baati ly erected for their purpose. Before the fire the Company had a large bokery on Kinsia etrest, near the Blate street bridge, and another on Dearborn street, adjoining the 6 4 D Post-Offen building. Both of these, of coursn, were de stroyed, as were also the dwellings of the mem bers of the firm. In fact, everything they had was swept away, and their bases fully reached $100,000. Notwithstanding this disaster, how ever, the firm, in the short space of thirty-coven days, were actually baking 100 barrels of flour per day. This is another example of the un flinching perseverance that prevailed among our citizens at that time, and it might be said, in many coses, that ambition of an unconsguerable kind was infused into persons who were left entirely penniless. This firm left the ruins behind, and, with their gaze fixed on the future, they set failure at defiance, and as an evidence of their success we see them to-day in their elegant quarters with their business on a more solid foundation, more extensive and prosperous than ever before, their average con sumption of flour per day being 250 barrels, which affords employment for some 100 men. In conclusion, Tux Ynmour will resay that the establishment of C. L. Woodman Co. is not only the largest in the city, but the superior quality of their products is held in higher esti ination by our citizens than any other, F. A. WAIDNER Co. This firm are successors to Wm. Munson Sons, and are located at Now. 45 and 47 River street. They are the exclusive agents for the well-kown Crystal Lake pickling institution, not only for Chicago, but for 2th States. They are also agents specials. The Crystal Lake Pickling Company is but a few years old, and yet it is the largest institution of the kind in the country. And while taking this house as an example, way state with pride that it was but a few years ago that the whole West was dependent on the East for Pickles, canned goods, «c., but now the thing is entirely reversed, asl regards thai branch of in dustry, as also of others; and this house is shipping its productions Exst, especially pickles. Angh, their cauoned goods are met, with such favor in the market that they have' d been unable to supply the demand at home and therefore have failed to fill their many orders from abroad. ‘That the reader may have some conception of the immense busi ness that this concern is doing, we will say that it has put up and disposed of some 30,000 barrels of pickles during the past year. Among the many goods which it is producing are jellies, reserves, catsups, sauces, gourkrout, and all kinds of canned fruits; also, the Crystal Late white-wine and crab-apple vinegars. Although the factory is not located in this city, the entire business is transacted here, so Chicago can claim it for her own. At the time of the Fire of 1571, Mr. Waidner was doing business at the above numbers, and, owning the property, the very £oun rebuilt, and occupies 28 before. RICHARDSON'S MATCHES: The headquarters,28 well as the Western de pot, for D. M. Hichardson's celebrated machen, are situated at No. 13 Michigan avenue, H.W. Durant being the agent for that article for the Northwest. This house was established in 1867, and, as a matter of course, was among those that went down by the disaster of 1871, or, to be more precise, just three years ago yesterday, which involved it in very serious losses. The building now occupied by Alr, Darfut is a five-story brick with basement, and was built by Mr. Richardson the December fol lowing the fire. The variety and quality of matches manufactured by Bir. Richardson are, too well, and favorably known to the public to need special notice, yet we will say that the “telegraph,” ‘round,” and “ parlor matches have no superiors. We will also state that the manufactory of Mr. Richardson is one of the largest in the United States, and is located at Detroit, Mich., and, when running at its full capacity, affords employment for about 400 hands. The business of the agency here, under the su pervision of Mr. Durant, has been very prosper ous, as by his able management a very Sarpuly~ increased patronage as been secured during past three years. Goods are shipped from the agency to all points in the Northwest. A VISIT TO THE MERCANTILE AGENCY. The prospects for the fall trade, which at one time appeard so discouraging, having sensibly brightened in many sections of the West, we called on Mr. George W. Brock, manager of the Chicago branch of the Mercantile Agency, with a view to obtain from him such points of in formation as the widely-organized negociation which he represents could afford in reference to the present condition of trade, Tie informed us that, ranging from the Agen cy’s standpoint, he considered the trade of the Northwest had increased, and was seasibly in creasing every Gareo much so that, to meet the requirements of business men, branch of f ees had to be opened in several towns where little or no trade had, until latterly, existed. The subscrivers to the Chicago office, no, before the fre of October, 1671, only numbered game 60, now reach over 1,000, and, from the general reportg and the absence of any specu lative tendency, he considered the prospicta for trade now, as compared with three yeare 470, de cidedly encouragings, and proving peyond douvt the energy and pluck of the West. A glance at the imposing list of names on the records of the Agency proves beyond question the rapid growth of business in the West. Towns which show years 270 were comparatively be yond the liaits of civilization, have now become centres of hate,—changes oceurzing so sourdiy that, in order to keep pace with the times, the Agency now publishes four reference books at manly, instead of only the January and July edi tions as heretofore, SUBUSLAW IMPROVEMENTS. SOUTI CHICAGO. There is perhaps no point in the immediate suburbs of the city upon which the calculating and inquiring spirit of speculation and enter prise has lately directed a more eager attention, or in contemplation of which the public mind of this practical community had been awakened to a deeper or more general interest as a field of in dustry, commerce, and fortune, or as an inyit ing and promising point of heavy speculative in vestment, than the new and thriving, manufac turing settlement in the southern domain of Hyde Park, bearing, with special propriety, the name of South Chicago. The circumstances which have developed this intense popular in terest, prophetic of the future of the new city, and which during the peat few months has turn ed in that direction as formidable tide of popu lation, capital, and commercial energy, mainly in the form of manufacturing enterprises of a large and solid and permanent character, seem to be explained in part by the practical recognition of the point by the United States Government, in the bearings of the port upon the general in terests of navigation, in improving its natural position and advantage, thus carrying out an obvious purpose of Nature to render it one of the great harbors of the lake , partly in the rec ognition of the facilities and advantages of the point as a transfer or shipping centre by several of the great national railways, including the atimore, Wittsburgh Chicago Railroad Company, who have made it their freight and business terminus, and where great terminal shops and transfer build ings are now in rapid course of construction, necessitating eut an early day a large increase in the industrial population of the place; the more direct cause of the sudden activity of specula tion in that new field being found in the comple tion of certain mammoth labors and enterprises of improvement and preparation by THE CALUMET CHICAGO CANAL AND DOCK CO PANY. This famous improvement company was organ ized five years ago for the redemption and devel opment of a large district adjacent to the great harbor and river mouth, the ultimate object of their labora being to place Calumet River within reach of the city ; to render a supreme natural advantage immediately available to commerce ; to bring to bear upon the million industries of the metropolis a great practical idea of Nature, the direct effect of bringing the harbor and the river, with its 10 miles of deep sea water, di rectly into the service of the mmercantile com munity and the world, being, according to the philosophy and the logic of commerce, to add to the commercial value and public utility of the lake ; enlarging and facilitating the marine ser vice by extending to it a new connection and a new system of accommodations ; bringing it in to relations with commerce, industry, and ren dering it more universallyvailable to the great mercantile and manufacturing interests which maintain the shipping of the city. The fact that over 3,020,000 have al roady Loco ventured upon the geography, the position, and the manifest deating of the place; that several railroad lines, passing at relatively disrent points, have recognized the present and Prospective strength of the location by building, equipping, and operating branch roads to the harbor. 10 connect with the new commence ar rowly forming upon the water, and that the Costumet Chicamo Canal and Dock Company, after several years of mammoth labor in the grading of arrests, construction of dockage, drainage, and building, with the thorough re demption and improvement of the land for con veniences and advantages of rettlement and building, involving an aggregate outlay of $300, 000, now offer and advertise for wale an aggre gate of 4,000 lots for residence and business, with such inducements and temptations to great manufacturing and commercial enterprises as are probably not to be equalled elsewhere on the wide face of the globe,—efficiently explains the widespreed popular interest which has come to invest the locality. TRYSENT ASPECT OF THE NEW CITY. The present general aspect and appearance of South Chicago, especially about the waterfront and frreat manufacturers’ reserve, is the type of a little Birmingham or. A second Chicago just started, in the first expression and catburst of big purposes,—the first steam, and smoke, and hum, and motion of ponderous enterprise, indi cating the presence of industry on a large scale , new foundries, new factories, new mills and shops, new accommodations for steam, and labor, and skill in their application to all de partments of the manufacturing Interest, with such general accommodations as comfortable blocks of dwellings, 8 magnificent first-class hotel, churches and schools, a commodious depot, comfortable tenements for an industrial population, etc. The appearance of the town is picturesque by position, and forms the centre of 2 magnificent natural landscane. WATER ACCOMMODATION—A GUPREXE NATURAL AD VANTAGE. The idea and purpose of nature in the geo graphical position of the place, Liss been widely interpreted by:Col. Bowen and his associates, 1 its commercial bearings, and in the light of pub lic utility,—the harbor constituting a natural entrance and a natural exit for an infinite com merce,—for all there in upon the lake an easy entrance, and a broad highway to the land,—for all the industries and products of the land, a magnificent gateway to the sea. The mouth of the Calumet has been famous among seamen since the date of its artificial improvement by the Government 24 a port of refuge and security in dangerous weather, and, in its deep approaches and free and broad accommodations placed in contrast with the natural and permanent defl uiences of the Chicago harbor. But add to the conveniences and magnificent dimensions of the Calumet harbor a line of inland water, deep enough for the admission of landed ships and schooners of the heaviest tonnage, 10 miles back among the farms and fields, connecting at convenient distance with the spacious waters of Lake Calumet, and we have the fulfillment of geographical conditions, the commercial util ity of which would seem to surpass all measure ment and calculation,—a supreme design of water accommodation, and a natural sid to commerce bow immediately available to a great city, Lib erto started for room in ths old way to the lake, and with painfully insufficient accommodations for its shipping. MANIFEST DESTINY. The practical operations of the Calumet Chicago Canal and Dock Company, in redeeming from unfavorable conditions several thousand acres of land adjacent to the harbor, and fitting it for occupation, must be regarded as an initial measure of enterprise looking to the populous settlement of thet ontirs domain, and to the necessary and certain location at that point of one of the great manufacturing centres of the land. ‘The result will, by visible necessity, affect the supreme degree, the prosperity and general in terests of commerce by enlarging for the benefit of the city the general accommodations of the merine service and by encouraging and facilita ting all the industries of the Joke,—inaugurating as it does 4 NEW CONVICTION OF SIGNAL AND MOMENTOUS IMPORTANCE between the industry of production and the in dustry of transportation. It may be appropriate to the connection and to the occasion to mention that the bearings of this great South Chicago en terprise upon the general prosperity of comp meres has already ceased to be a matter of pre diction, the utility of the scheme of improve ments being already illustrated in practical busi ness operations at the places, the facilry with which acrea of saw-lops and vast shipmcents of ore, and lumber, and produce, and freight can be admitted to the harbor and river having led already to the location of foundries and factories designed for heavy operations in all depart ments, the creation of an active local commerce, the establishment of great lumber yarde, and the erection of the largest saw-mills known to our latitude, while a number of the great rail way lines Iavo already established connection with the port, includes the Chitagro, Rock Island « Pacific: Vittaburg, fost Wayne Chicago: Michigan Southern; Michigan Central; Baltimore Ohio; Cuicego, Danville Vincennes; Chicago, Cincinnati, Indiana Central; and Winds Central. The recent decision of the courts abates the historic nuisance of it rendering and fer tilizing companies, and employment for 4,000 mechanics and workmen is promised in the arly completion of the great buildings now in process of erection. The Company are offering what would seem as very favorable terms of investment in the beet locations, and parties wishing to purchase are furnished with tree fields upon application to the ofies. No. 182 Dearborn street, THUY BURCAVAN BUSINESS AT IRA BNOWN’B. The original and special system of suburban sales inaugurated on an extensive scale by Ira Grown sevveral years since, being the systematicc ease of Jutson the method of small monthly in stallments of comparatively insignificant amount, has proved quite interesting as a succssful ‘popular ‘hit,’ ofering as universal sy item of accommodation especially acceptable under pressure of the Iste hard times ; the plan, under the characteristic energy of Mr. Brown, having at length found a national and systematic development its business of formidable propor tions. This method of sales by monthly install mens, ranging orlinenly and generally at 23, is applied by Dr. Brown to his fine addition to Park Ridge, sad to the residence and business sections held by him at Lysuston, Gleucos, Thornton, Deasplaines, Lake Side, etc. To wid popularity to the eenterprise, a scare of uniform prices has been established, covering all the lots and locations of large sub divisions, tana binging to bear upon purchasers the fascinations of first cherco: ta Park Rigo the scale being $100, and at Desplaines $200 4 lot—215 down, 25 monthly payments. In Evans ton, where the range of prees is higher, the same accommodation in payments is uniforms extended. ‘The good sense of this original method of business in practically verified in its magnificent stoceys, the sales of the office dur ing the season probably averaging twenty-five lots a day, with a special and popular run of bitemeas in the direction of Park Ridge, to which piece, during the summer, Mr. brown is still sending out free excursions of purchasers, twice a day. 8a, mr. and 3.and 4p. m., from his office, No. 142 LaSalle sirec. SOUTH ENGLEWOOD. The extension of the fire-limits has caused numbers to invent in lots near to but ontede of the fire-line. Evidence of this is furnished by ir. Robert C. Givins, one of the largest dealers in suburban lots, and main operator of South Englewood,—an important suburban town direct ly south of the city on the Chicago Rock Island Railroad, whose business bes increased wonder fully by the extension of the fire-line. At an auction sale lately boid Le sold 390 tots at fair prices. This,it will be remembered, was the only successful sale of the season; and he has, even through the same end duli season, sold more than the average number of these cheap lots, which teads to demonstrate the fact that one of the results of the fire has been to change the system of the working class seeking homes near the cantra of the city, and sending them out where they can live better, cheaper, and just as conveniently as they can inside. WEST of CENTRAL PARK, Adjoining the city limits and extending from Madison street north to Kinzie, is the subdi vision of the West Chicago Land Company—of which St. Goodman is Secretary and Treas urer, office 73 Dearborn street,—combining the advantages of elegant residence locations in its more southern blocks, with the business prop erty of Lake street and the low-priced cottage late near the car-works. Considering the nearneas to Central Park and the heart of the city, the subdivision is insured a rapid and steady growth in population and values. A large number of houses, cottages, and stores have been completed and occupied, and otiera are in course of erec tion, and 2 fine four-story brick school-house has just been nished at a cost of $30,000.Ine streets are wide and handsome, with good side walk, and the lots are deep. The Northwestern Railway Company, whose works adjoin thin property, are negotiating for the construction of additional mammoth shops, and other enterprises are spoken of. The communication with the heart of the city is,all that can be desired, rail road stations on the property being but treaty minutes distant from the city depot, in addition to which the street-car lines will soon be ex tended. LAE FOREST. This romantic end beautiful town, now the ceat of several institutions of learning, includ ing ® young ladies’ cominary of the highest grade and character, end known, also, as the summer home of a large number of the feeding merchants and bankers of our city, present a features of interest in aatural landscape attrac tions, sem views, picturesque location, etc., which have given it permanent fame throughout the country. Several hundred acres of pleasant residence lands are offered on remarkably easy terms by the agents of the Lake forest Com pany, Moser, Snyder Lee, No. 24 Nizon's Building, corner Monroe and LaSalle streeta, TYE WIGALAND PARK BUILDING comPANY. The Highland Park Building Company was or ganized under special charter granted by the Legislature in 1867. The charter secures the Company the right to buy, sell, and own real es tate and property in the Counties of Lake and Cook, and the right to build and transact busi ness in those two counties. The principal stock holders of the Company are, and have been from its organization, James E. Tyler, Esq. the Hon. Henry Booth, the. Hon. Jessie O. Norton, the Rev. W. W. Everts, the Hon. R. E. Goodell, the Hon. H. B. Hurd, Frank P. Tiawkins, Esq., C. R. Field, Esq., John H. Wrenn, Esq., and the Rev. G. L. Wrenn. In the year 1867 the Company purchased of Walter L. Gurnee, Esq., 1,200 acres of land lying at the station on the Chicago Milwaukee Railroad, 22 miles north of Chica go, on Lake Michigan, known as Highland Park. This property was originally owned, and had been partly platted and laid out, by the Port Clinton Land Company, which was com posed of some of the oldest and best known of Chicago’s old citizens, among whom were the Hon. Francis Sharman, the Hon. C.W. Dyer, 31. D. Ogden, Esq.; Elias Wadaworth,Esq., Ezra Sharmen, Esq., the Hon. WalterS. Gurnee, and Hiram ‘Tucker, Esq. The Secretary of this Company for many years was Mr. Charles Chase of abstract fame. W. 8. Gumeo became sole owner of the property, and sold to the new Highland Park Building Com any. W. H. Lant, of Evanston, was the first resident; C. St. Field, Secretary and Treasurer; Frank P. Hawkins, General Agent and Manager. The Hon. Henry Booth succeeded Mr. Lant as President in 1868, who held the office for two years, and was succeeded by James E.Iyler, Esq.,who has held the office since that time un til the present, Frank P. Hawkins being for the seven years the General Agent and Manager. The property bought by the Highland Park Building Company is a tract of land of great natural beauty and adaptability to the purpose for which it was purchased,—the building of a suburban town. The property was bought at a very low figure, the suburban idea at that time not having been at all developed in Chicago, and Highland Park was a pioneer in this now popular business of creating beautiful homes in the su burbs. The Highland Park Building Company claim that while they were aboug the first to go extensively into the real business of building and creating an attractive and first-class suburb, that they can show a greater growth and greater financial prosperity than any of its competitors in the same line of business; that they have avoided wild extravagance and useless outlay; that they have constructed more miles of good streets and drives, built more houses and side walks, than any suburban company. Their prop erty, or the property which was in the original purchase of the Company in 1307, cost less than $100,000, is now within seven years assessed for taxation at #1,500,000, showing an increase and accumulation of 1,500 per cent in seven years. The capital stock of the Company is $500,000; their net assets are today on a fair varuation over £ 700,000, after having paid several large dividends. About one-fifth of their property now consists of Chicago property. The affairs of this Company have been handled in a broad, liberal, and progressive manner, and its management point with pride to the beauti ful town that has been created under their care, with its high-toned population, its four churches and schools, the finest summer hotel in the West, its elegant residences and beautiful drives, and feo as well commendable satisfaction as they contemplate the financial results. LAWNDALE is the name given by Messrs. Millard Decker to their subdivision in the southwest portion of the city, near Douglas Park. Probably no sub division ever made in our city has been pushed forward with more energy and with more suc cess. Communication by the Chicago, Burling ton Quincy Railroad, a line of omnibuses by Ogden avenue boulevard, Iake water, city schools, and excellent church and social priv ileges, have been some of the advantures that have caused its very rapid growth. The build ing during the present season of a fine business block, and three residences costing from £ 15,000 to £ 25,000 each, besides scores of other fine buildings of a residence or business character, have placed this subdivision on a foundation that can well be named success.