Article clipped from Grand Prairie Texan

WfeLtJ-freWotiitMi Of thi creaky Fmvler Orphanage build* Mg, w*iich was the Air Faroe's original Main budding at Hensley Air Kesorve Flying Center, was nearing eomp’etion this Week,’3'iie area on which the three* Sion' hoiise has stood will become A .parking area, according to Col. Hob* 6ft W. Warren, Hensley commander. At a later date it probably will be Utilized in a projected lbng*rfltig6 construction program for the base, The old house, designated by the Air Force as “Building 309,’’ has been n landmark southeast of Grand Prairie for more than SO years. Originally built as an orphanage, It later served as nh inn and roadhouse until the Air Force took it over in 1930.It has served tire Air Force as everything from quarters for gen* erals to warehouse. It has been, at various time? the base officers’ club, base headquarters building, dispensary and a general office building.For the past three years it has been condemned, long cracks in its walls giving warning that it was no longer safe for occupancy.The building was erected with funds left in a bequest bv Mrs. Juliette Fowler at her death in 1888 for establishment of a home for children and aged members of theGlh'tstiftft Stock, BtUH uftflt.mtt* {tact «f the fesas Christian Con* vefttiuft, the house stood oh a 266* Aero farm lying Along the Takas And PflOifie linlyway southeast of Grand Prairie.A year of bad crops stepped eon* structlon on the building, but it v?«s finished with help from the National Benevolent Association of the Sis* clples of Christ The building was dedicated on January 26, 1966.It was intended that the farm hofne care for orphaned children between the ages of 8 and 12 years of age. It soon became evident, however, that children of that age could not Maintain the 200*acre outlay, so the orphanage was sold in 1910tottlMS.'ftS -SMgyffAT-«Slt.m.QI UMIIf VUtldftjg Wfli IW.Ufor several purposes MeMffig that of an m, After world War f a group 6t A my plldft b«* camt. inumun ift aslftf tlti epfcti filed as t landing field hr tlwff fly* tog epefaUbris.f« MS the land which had to* creased to S03 acres, was purchased by the City ef Callas with $?5,6dd of a 1400,006 bond issue, of which went for pure base ef Low The city in 1926 bought an additional 393 acres, raising the Hensley Field acreage to ffl acres.The city leased the field to the Air Corps for ft a year for 28 years. Early in World War H the lease was changed to 40 years., tn 1948 the field was transferred from Air Force to Navy command, but the Air Force retained the portion still known ns Hensley Field, That area is still used by the Air Force eg headquarters for: its reserve flight training program,m this Hftl. ; =„ Hensley Held wa#: «km*ti after M4 William Hlt; flMfefc wh# dfid in 1.829, Map Hensley wsS active m oblatolflg aircraft and setting up * flying training program for Army Air Corps reserves.. In the early days of Hensley Field there were no runways, anti pilot* landed oft the grassy field, Sheep were kept on the field to keep the grass down, and often a pilot had to 'tar the sheep mis a corner or the field before making, * dandling.Sam Nr Hflftriitoii M|« Nt ihi A FAA.M. «*•*. Am ttilfcftiifmtof _“vuU * rMMMMl(hm A Murphy WMJm * Aiu* n«vrvoi% VMt
Newspaper Details

Grand Prairie Texan

Grand Prairie, Texas, US

Thu, May 05, 1955

Page 1

Full Page
Clipped by
Profile Icon
James B.

USA 13 Nov 2023

Other Publications Near Grand Prairie, Texas

Grand Prairie Texan

Grand Prairie Daily News Texan

Grand Prairie News Texan

Grand Prairie Daily News