PHUKSDAY, MARCH 18, 1858.oftoB.r,talit2010D-ISlensri-nng■ea-isi-.BIS'Oof:ejrofisId10e.0'ccV-•g•Be~P-»nieYf1Cicmillofm.11herulCSidcl.ofsirit-mliel5sigiolieofnolieoruelietoEr-utlisrefi-‘C-ir-;crcs.cdns±,10,cdcdre,hisng)U,rdiceoricrmsIch.ngLouse on tho south side of the harbor, about the middle of July, This waa the first building put up on (bat side of the harbor, and it stood on 'what is laid down in tlnJ city map, at the present time, as lot one, block four, in the first ward. The building was put up for the purpose of holding the claim. A day or two after this building commenced, Mr. Timothy Woodhridgc coiWhenced putting up a small log shanty, a few rods south, and on what is now called block five, for tho purpose ofjutup-ing tho claim. He finished his building, but abandoned any pretension to the claim.In tbc latter part of July, Mr. Bacon put up a log house near his present residence, on block eighty, in the second ward: and on the 29th of July, Mr. Jonathan Pierce commenced hewing the timber for the first frame building : but after the frame hud beon completed, owing to some misapprehensions that a claim (he Company had made about cue mile north west, would be jumped, the timbers were transferred to that claim and put up.The place was destined, however, not to be long without a frame building, and accordingly another frame was commenced iu the first port of August, which was put up on tho lako shore, on the south side of the haibor. This building stood on what is now called lot four, block four, in tho first ward. It was built for Mr. John liullcn, and was used by him for a store, and was the first establishment of the kind in the place.The first cargo of any kind that was ever landed at Kenosha, arrived on the 10th day of July. 1835. It consisted of 50,000 feet of lumber. The lumber had been bought at Sheboygan, for Mr. Billion, at a cost of $20 per M. It was thrown into the lake, and floated ashore in rafts. The next arrival by lake at Kenosha, was a part of a cargo of merchandize, also for Mr. Bullen. These goods were shipped by way of Oswego and the lakes, and onived at Kenolia in August of that year. The arrival of this stock of goods dates the opening of the first mercantile [establishment in Kenosha. ,Up to the middle of August, no religious meetings had becn^held in Kenosha; but about that time Mr. Jonathan Pierce, and Mr. Austin Kellogg, both strangers to each other, happening to rocct on tho Island, agreed, in the course of five minutes eonvei sation, to call a religious meeting for the Sabbath next ensuing, and which meeting was accordingly held in the log building, on the lake shore, on the south side of the harbor, that was first put on that side. There were present at the meeting twenty-eight persons, of whom twenty-one spoke at more or less length. During most of the year 1830, the religious meetings were all held at the house of William Bullen, on the Island. In the latter part of the season of 1S37, a block building was put up on South Main street, and near tho present Market Square, for a school house and a place of worship. free to all denominations; and in 1839, a frame building, of considerable siz.e, was erected in the second ward for an academy, and a place of worship, also free to all denominations. During these years no regular clergymen wore employed, hut services were performed by itinerant and missionary preachers, and when no clergymen were present, prominent, members of the church read sermons j from a'printed volume. K. II. Doming and ( Rcy. Abner Barlow, also preached at Kenosha frequently.In 1849, the Methodist Society built (ho first church edifice that was erected at Kenosha. This building originally stood in the centre of Main Street, at that point! where it intersects with Kenosha street, and fronted north. In 18S5 this church was moved south of this original site, about twenty rods, fronts on the park.On the 4th of February, 1849, a Bible Society was first organized in Kenosha.In 1843, the Congregational Society built a respectable sized church on lot four, block eighty-four, in the second ward, which ten years after they moved in'o the first ward, and located on lot four, block thirty.four. Dot four, block eighty-four, however, seemed destined to be the foundation of a church, and accordingly, we now find a neat but unpretending Grcrir.au Protestant church occupying the ground left vacant by tbc vcroovtd of (ho Congregational edifice. The Baptist Society also eroded a handsome church in the same year that tbc Congregational church was built. Afew year a later, the Episcopal Society also erected a small but neat church, in the first ward. In 1815, the Irish Catholics built a brick church, of good size and proportions, in the third ward.In 1S4S, a new religious denomination was inaugurated at Kenosha, by Messrs. C. L. Sholes, H. C. Train, Sheldon Tisli, anil others. Ii was called the “Excelsior Church,? and it was claimefhto be founded upon purely democratic principles. Whatever a man’s religious opinions wore, it was no bar to his admission into this church. Indeed, it invited togetherthe most regular!; with per may hav high anc Hevcr, h Such dis gle in hi ter two ; to tho ni house diIt nw •liam Ala of the “ cent/’ o'In the northerr from a ; north ea were driland, nreffected shore sicanimate* dred InddrawingTho cam one endIndians' they sprs them wo The old 3£i1vi uikh squaw— athletic dre89ncl: was also 11,‘native naiia of and rued their rc-sSeeing of the Ii:9ha, lay of the Ir but soon by a t diautJ, a land, to mult. -that ono the noisi anv Evil wise intcThose land for weather their cai tribe, in ing in g;quenily soup, might bi ine, in t called It tie west house.It rcq ply such soon till that stifl the triblt; from wo dians ks with Hit that Hu at last a to the S£Mr. B a log ho the first received left in t' flour, aithe san faring t'.tftchmei across 1 food, fcj of eight the buil folded n their ha into the barrel c Mr. Ba pursued not, hoi and alir of the I: this tim building ues.The s straitenan oxT lt;which tpieces c cases, t ccived ]on to dc of tbc cMr. 2 had bee