Another in a series of articles by A. Eileen Cozart, Ph.D, coordinator of bicentennial activities in Jefferson County. ‘Reflections on the Heritage of Jefferson County” is based on ar ticles published in early editions of the Herald-Star. January 17, 1902... “Local Briefs,” “People” and “In and About the Ci 1 The K of C held their annual ban quet at their hall. It is the second an niversary of the organization of the local council. January 18, 1902 ... The Eastern Ohio Medical Association will meet at the Odd Fellows’ Library on Thursday of this week. Steubenville people are making a strong play for a new county jail, but they think taxes are stiff enough already in the county without a fur ther increase. January 20, 1902 ... A crowd of skaters numbering probably 300 en joyed the sport at Dehewamis lake at Alikanna (Stanton Park) not withstanding the cold weather. January 21, 1902 ... The Cotillion Club dance at Falk and O’Neal’s was well attended and a pleasant affair. Patton’s orchestra furnished the music. W.H. Lowe has purchased a por tion of the Seminary property on High Street, near South and will build there on a double dwelling at an early date. It has been suggested when we get to a city of 18,000 people that the or Jefferson county history A. Eileen Cozart, Ph.D. finance be enforced requiring mer chants to clean their sidewalks of snow, ice, etc. “Weather forecasts” ... Steuben ville post office sends every morning their weather forecast slips by rural carriers to about 60 farmers and others on their routes. January 18, 1902 ... The weather forecast sent out by the weather bureau to be distributed by rural route carriers for today was as follows: “Snow or rain Saturday, Monday fair with colder in the west and central portions. Levison’s have a new wagon on the street. January 23, 1902 ... Liverymen did a rushing business in sleighs. Nearly everybody is pleased with the weather. Mayor Means has ordered sled riding stopped on Slack Street where several street car accidents have been narrowly averted. January 25, 1902 ... Ross Myers is painting the largest gold leaf design ever painted in Steubenville. It is on the front of the McGowan Bros. wholesale grocery and is over 400 feet long. January 24, 1902 ... The ‘Sock Social” held by the Woman’s Mis sionary Societies of the Third Presbyterian Church at the home of Theodore Snyder, 312 South Fourth St., the net proceeds being something over $51 and with some ‘“‘socks”’ to hear from yet ... Refreshments were served: ice cream, cake and candy for sale. They thanked Gwynne of American Dairy Co. for the good milk and cream furnished free for their refreshments . January 28, 1902 ... The old Pearce furniture factory on South Fourth Street has been sold by Hon. J. Dun bar to Wm. Alexander of the Transfer and Storage Co. for $6,500. The property fronts 30 feet on Fourth Street and extends 180 feet back to an alley. February 1, 1902 ... The directors of the LaBelle Iron Works held a meeting in the city and decided that as the present office was not large enough and they would erect a much larger office building. The location was not selected. Some of the direc tors favored putting the building upon the corner of the fairgrounds next to the Freidenberger residence. Others thought it ought to be located about where P. McGarry’s house now (1902) stands. The latter site will probably be selected. February 2, 1902 ... The ice in the river is so thick and heavy today that the ferry boat, Nathaniel, was com pelled to discontinue her trips at the Market Street ferry. April 6, 1902 ... The Wabash camp where the smallpox is so prevalent has now a physician of its own, who spends all of his time at the camp. March 6, 1902 ... Attorney Henry Gregg Esq.,has leased the office on Fourth Street in the rear of the Com mercial National Bank. He will move into it from the courthouse within the next few days It is given out that a movement will be inaugurated soon to establish a police court here with a police judge and prosecutor and do away with the solicitor’s office and make the mayor's office an honorary one with less salary. One of the city fire engines was taken to the LaBelle Works to pump out the water left, in the aftermath of the flood. February 28, 1902 ... the contract, for the erection of the new Casino building in Stanton Park, is to be let, March Sth. The specifications call for its completion by June 1st. February 26, 1902 ... The South Fourth Street culvert should be declared a inssance at once and the Panhandle made to widen it so as to accommodate the traffic of the day. February 4, 1902 ... Four boys were before the mayor, charged with throwing snowballs at a muslin sign stretched across the sidewalk in front a building on South Fourth Street and tearing it. Two of the boys were fined $1 each and costs and the other two discharged. The boys paid the fines.