REFORMED CHURCH HAS HAD BUT TWO PASTORS IN 42 YEARS; ENTIRE COST OF CHURCH PAID BEFORE DEDICATIONEVANGELICAL AND REFORMED CHURCIIMembers of the Reformed church inMaquoketa believe that when a con- ed ^fter a few weeks of Sunday after-gregations finds a good minister it noon services jn the opera house, should keep him; because they have members of the Baptist church permit-followed this idea, only two pastors ted the group to meet in their build-have served this church since it was ing for four years From 1898 until organized in 1894. The Rev. D. F. their own chUrch was completed, the Bocmershine was in charge of the Roformed congregation met at Priaulx church from its beginning until his jian which was on the east side of death in 1932. when the present min- Main street, with Sunday school at ister, the Rev. C. Edward Holyoke came. 2:30 each Sundav afternoon, followed The beginnings of the church go by church service at 3:30. back to July. 1860. when the Re\. F C. Finauy tbe members decided that ~Bauman, minister at Zwingle. came on t w^e able {Q erect a bllildinp 0f still active in the work, and Miss Min- Pierce Mitchell is manager, and the foot to Maquoketa to preach to a little ^ and |n July build- nie Cort. Deacons are Mrs J F Hit- employees include Chris Vohringer,group of the Reformed faith who had ing committee cf five members was ap- ter. Mrs. James Campbell. Mrs Henry who has been with the mill more than come here from Pennsylvania. The olnted The sl,bscripUon list was cir- Glahn and Harry Glaser Miss Cort is twenty years. Inez Dallager, book-first service was held in the third wardculated and friends of the denomina- treasurer and Miss Myrtle Blakely is keeper, and Raymond Voorhies. Wil-1 tion in Zwingle and other nearby com- the clerk iiam Ehlers, Cecil Evans and Georgemunities contributed liberally. The en- The Sunday school, with about 60 Bleadorn.man also preached at the Union church south of town.brick school house on South Eliza street, and for three years monthly services were held. The Rev. Mr. Bau- oFthe'structure and furnish- ■ ei Mrspaid before the church was dedicated, ized January 5. 1896. with A. C Hoot A lot at the corner of Locust and as superintendent, A I U r 1 At- A VI* C.Niagara streets was chosen as the location for this attractive little brick church, and the ground was broken onSeptember 5, 1899. Members and friends *'on’e °* Mr; a'ld M^s of the Buckhorn church brought their September 4 Mrs, Sylvia Laird was : teams and did all the excavating for elected president for the first year. InThe Missionary Society had its origin in 1896 when members of the Union and Buckhorn churches met at the Will Miller ontheir sister organization. The corner stone was laid May 20. 1900. when over one thousand persons gathered on a beautiful May afternoon to honor the1915 the organization observed its silver anniversary with a special meeting at the home of Mrs. James Edel-occasion and hear the stirring addressPresent officers are: Mrs. Ritter, 1of the pastor President; Mrs. A. S. Blakeley, vice (The first service in the new building President; Miss Blakeley, secretary; jwas Sunday school which was held at and Mlss Cort- treasurer. As many ofREV. C. EDW. HOLYOKE2:30 Sunday afternoon. October 7. 1900. the members have moved away the so and which was immediately followed cietJ' is -small and no regular meetings by the church service. Both meetings are held-had very large attendance. The dedi- An actlve Ladies Aid society, with eatory sermon was delivered Novem- Mrs- James Campbell as president, ber 11, by the Rev. B. R. Rover of Chi- meets regularly and directs the vari-cago a classmate of the pastor, and ous subsidiary projects of the church, in the evening other ministers of the city joined in a fraternal service.Only 28 years old when he came to Maquoketa, the Rev. Mr. Boomershine gave his life to his work here. Young and handsome, he became the popular “marrying parson” of the community. ]However, the Maquoketa group was and officiated at many weddings, often small and the minister often had a driving his horse Nellie out into the diseouragingly small attendance at his country to the home of some bride, orThe history of the Mitchell-Maskrey Mill originated with the McCloy mill, which was started by Joseph McCloyservice after he had made the long, performing a marriage ceremony in the ™ 1842’ and whlch is thought toibe hard trip from his home at Zwingle. parsonage or church. For many years the first I™11 *n, ^ *In October, 1862, he conducted a com- the Maquoketa charge included four mill was located on Mill Creek, just munion service at the Union church churches, and the Rev. Mr. Boomer- south of Maquoketa this being a with only 13 members in attendance shine would preach at Maquoketa in s 1’eam sdI*ie S1^e ®arller day®.and received a collection of only 90 the morning, while in the afternoon he In 1865 Edward H. Maskrey leasedcents. This was the last service he con- would conduct services at the Union the from McCloy, and laterducted here. and Buckhorn churches, and in the bo^ht the lot on the Pre*ent locationAfter the Rev. Mr. Bauman ceased evening he, and his faithful horse, from the Methodist church. The coming to this community, the local would go to Lost Nation. Later, how- dmrch, a small frame building, was group disbanded. Reformed churches ever, the Union church closed, its mem- tom down as erection of the new mill grew up at Buckhorn and Union, the bers uniting with the Maquoketa con- began around it. In 1885 the mill was two having the same pastor who lived gregation, and the Lost Nation mem- enlarged to tfie present three-story in Maquoketa, but there were no serv- bers federated with the Methodists building.ices in this city until the Rev. D. F. there. A few years ago the Buckhorn Steve and Frank Maskrey were asso-Boomershine came. group also ceased having regular serv- ciated with their father in the millingSent here by the Home Missions ices. business until his death, when ThomasBoard to build up a church in Ma- After the death of Mr. Boomershine Hench became the owner. In 1907 he quoketa in connection wdth the two on February 20, 1932, the Rev. C. Ed- sold the business to Frank Mitchell, country churches, Mr. Boomershine ar- ward Holyoke became pastor here, father of the present manager, and K rived in Maquoketa July 5, 1894, and preaching his first sermon July 31, Charles Von Schrader, who in turn A three days later he preached at Buck- 1932. The little parsonage on Judson sold a third interest to Stephen Mas- a horn and at Union. His first service in street is still owned by the local church, krey, who was an excellent miller. The Maquoketa vdas held Sunday after- Today the church has a membership null still operates under the estates of ti noon, July 29, at the Stephens opera of 107. Elders are M. K. Miller, one of these partners. IVhouse when the young minister’s text the first members of the congregation The chief business of the mill is Mwas Hosea 6:3. Thirty persons attend- and the only charter member who is grinding grain and selling feed, ir