Winona Republican Herald Newspaper Archives

- Page 1

Issue Date:
Pages Available: 20

About Winona Republican Herald

  • Publication Name: Winona Republican Herald
  • Location: Winona, Minnesota
  • Pages Available: 38,914
  • Years Available: 1947 - 1954
Learn More About This Publication


  • 2.17+ Billion Articles and Growing Everyday!
  • More Than 400 Years of Papers. From 1607 to Today!
  • Articles Covering 50 U.S.States + 22 Other Countries
  • Powerful, Time Saving Search Features!
Find Your Ancestors Now

View Sample Pages : Winona Republican Herald, October 08, 1952

Get Access to These Newspapers Plus 2.17+ Billion Other Articles

OCR Text

Winona Republican-Herald, The (Newspaper) - October 8, 1952, Winona, Minnesota Fair, Moderate Temperature Tonight, Thursday VOLUME 52, NO. 198 SIX CENTS PER COPY WINONA, MINNESOTA, WEDNESDAY EVENING, OCTOBER 8, 1952 TWENTY PAGES 82 D in British 3-Train Crash BIG DAY IN SHENANDOAH Truman and Taft Speak, Both to Ride in Parade 'SHENANDOAH, la. It's Pan- 1 the National Guard Armory for cake Day in this town of to- free pancakes, Mr. Truman will day, and there's a special feature j deliver his address at the high this year: President Truman and i school football field. It's scheduled Sen. Robert A. Taft of Ohio riding (for p. m. in the same parade. i Sen. is expected to listen That's not all either to the speech over the radio at the The two politic.. will deliver speeches trom the and a recording hours apart. And, in keeping with tradition at the annual Harvest Festival popularly known as "Pancake there'll be free pancakes for everyone. General Chairman Howard Bran- nen estimated that a crowd of would be on hand. "Why, the pancakes alone will bring out he said. President Truman will ride at the head of the parade, Sen. Taft in the middle. Plans were carefully laid to avoid any face-to-face meeting between the two. The President's special train is due in at I0t30 The senator will arrive by air shortly before. After the parade and a visit to TODAY the President's words so Taft can make a rebuttal in his scheduled address at 3 p.m. No Indictment Against Galvin In King Case i ST. PAUL UP) The Ramsey I County grand jury today returned a no bill in the Stafford King "bribe" case. The jury reported to District I Judge Gustavus Loevinger only 40 i minutes after hearing the last of 128 witnesses in the case in which the state auditor had claimed he i was offered cash and other induce- 'ments to withdraw from the state i GOP governor primary race. I The return, reported by Jury Foreman John C. Neimeyer, read I that the jury "reports no bill i against Michael J. Galvin, former !state senator from Winona County, By JOSEPH ALSOP accused of the bribery of Stafford SAN FRANCISCO Judging by j King." reports, the Republican leadership I Galvini now a st> paui is at least pretending to feel the attorrieyi was the last witness to same contempt for Harry b. iru-, be by the jury which wound man's campaigning that was so up the tafcjug Oj testimony at noon mistakenly felt four years ago. tod after two and one.half days Judging by on-the-scene observa- investigation. RAnnhlTSTlS I King had said he was offered to withdraw from the Sept. 9 primary race as a Republican candidate for governor. King continued in the contest and was badly beaten by Gov. Ander- Adlai Bess Truman to Push Tour of one of the California Democrats. 'Don't sell Harry was the way this Democratic politico summed up his reaction to the President's remarkable foreign policy speech here in Oakland, Ike Pressing For California Vote Nov. 4 Recalls When Truman Termed Stalin Decent By DON WHITEHEAD I ABOARD EISENHOWER TRAIN D. Eisenhower drove his slam-bang attack against the I administration and President Tru- man to California today, hoping to I win its 32 electoral votes. I There were indications that he'll i personally fight back at criticisms I thrown at him by Truman. He struck back last night at Democratic accusations that he's i now trying to disclaim responsibil- 1 ;ty for foreign policies that he j helped to decide. Truman has said Eisenhower periled the United States by not sizing up the Russian threat after i the war. Answers Truman I Eisenhower answered that in j Eugene, Ore., last night. He said: I "As you know, ladies and gen- I tlemen, through this region anoth- I er (Truman's) campaign train pre- ceded mine some time back. I From its back platform, many red I hot salvoes were loosed at me. j Now one of the charges made was I that in 1945 I expressed the hope I and belief that Russia wanted to I establish a workable friendship I with us. I was testifying for in- creased Army strength. I proposed that we hope for the best and be prepared for the worst. "Now, I think if we had not pursued such a policy at that time, today in view of the chaps in which the world exists, we would be terribly blaming ourselves for not having done our best. Yet from the back platform of a campaign train came the charge that because of that hope and that belief I had done much to destroy the safety of my country. "And that charge came from the very same man who only three (Continued on Page 15, Column 2.) IKE son. _ The 14 witnesses jurors heard Stevenson who once had a distinct I Tuesday included the Rev. Ivan S. tendency 'to sell Harry short, is Cowman, pastor of the Cleveland now very long on Harry too. Avenue Methodist Church in St. Urged to Continue I Paul. The pastor first made the Everyone must recall what a King charges public during a Sun- pallid view Stevenson and his ad- I day sermon several weeks ago. visors formerly took of the Pres-1 Others who appeared briefly in- ident's whistle-stopping. This ear- eluded Herbert Lewis, editor, and Her Stevenson view is even nowiVernon E. Fairbanks, executive reflected in the physical circum- j editor of the St. Paul Pioneer Press stances of the President's stump-1 and Dispatch; Douglas Baldwin, ing trip across the country. Tru-1 Minnesota State Fair secretary; man is traveling with an alloca-) Lester A. Malkerson, Minneapolis tion of National Democratic funds jauto (jeaier, and five St. Paul at- barely sufficient to pay for his Todd, Robert Leach, train. No appropriation has been charfes Eriggs, Ray and Carl Cum- provided for national radio or tele-1 mins vision time for Truman. Local j ,rhere was no hint as to the na. broadcasts, such as that from Oak-1 ture of anv of thg testjmoriy as land, are being locally financed grand are secret, Moreover, the President himself, j. j in his oddly humble way, was wor-j ried about Gov. Stevenson's reac-1 tion to his efforts until he reached this city. Then, before leaving San Francisco, he had a call put through to Springfield. Stevenson was profuse in his expressions of admiration and gratitude to the President. He begged the Presi- dent to go right on whistle-stop- More Than 130 Injured; Cars Piled in Heap Commuters Standing On Harrow Platform Mowed Down HARROW, England UK _ At least 82 persons died today in the col- lision three passenger trains here at the height of the morning com- muting rush. The government-oper- ated railways in announcing the death toll said there were 130 other casualties with "more still to come." Commuters standing on the Har- row platform were mowed down as if by a giant scythe when the third train's locomotive left the rails and plowed into two trains already wrecked. The death loll of 81 was announc- ed almost eight hours after the three-way collision. At that time three coaches un'der the main bulk of the wreckage were still to he reached by rescue workers. The crash piled coach on coach in 50-foot heap of wreckage. Many at Station The collision involved two ex- presses and a commuter train. Many of the victims had been wait- ing at the station of this Middle- sex village, 10 miles northwest of London. People standing on the platform were cut down as a locomotive of the London-Manchester express screeched from the tracks and This Aerial View shows workers moving about the wreckage of three trains strewc. over the tracks at the railroad station at Harrow, England. Some of the wreckage can be seen still smok- ing. The government-operated railways announced the death toll at least 82. (AP Wirephoto to The Republican-Herald) M am Lines Hold in Korea Dewey Would Hurt Ike, 42% Believe Adlai Lashes McCarthy in Madison Talk By JACK BELL MADISON, Wis. Adlai By PRINCETON RESEARCH SERVICE E. Stevenson carried his presiden- Kenneth Fink, Director tial campaign into the Wisconsin I PRINCETON, N. United States Poll survey just completed bailiwick of Sen. Joseph R. Mc- by Princeton Research Service indicates that more persons are the earthy today with the assertion I opinion that campaigning by Thomas E. Dewey can hurt Dwight Eisen-1 thg Qf the i bower's chances than believe Dewey can help Eisenhower. Princeton Research Service's staff reporters asked a representa.- not still ail otners m uie live cross-section of the nation's j Democratic nominee-in an pin and right on pouring it on Mossadegh Asks Prompt Settlement LONDON I.-FI Premier Moham- med Mossadegh has'demanded 20 million pounds (56 million dol- the Republicans, until election day He indicated that efiorts woulC ;lars) from Britain within now be made to find additional (0 clear the way for a swjft cash, in order to put the I resident j seulement o{ the British- on the national air. j Iranian Oji dispute, it was officially Great oncg disclosed today. jackTound is: demand was made in the now to be given a great role in j Iranian reply to joint Bntish-Amer- this puzzling campaign. Maybe the jiean proposals for settling the dis- change of Democratic strategy is ipute that has p unged Iran to near a piece of folly. But in the Oak land speech here, as at the small towns along Truman's route bankruptcy and kft virtually idle the nationalized billion dollar Anglo-Iranian Oil Company. through the northwest, you could The 20 million pound figure see why Stevenson and his aides j represented a drop from 49 million now regard Truman as a major pounds requested at asset. i first bv Mossadegh as the amount In the first place, the President (due his country in disputed oil roy- has been changed by the change allies. Mossadegh sought that am- in his own skuation. As a leader J0unt also as a condition for resura- about to lay down his burden, he j jng Oji talks, is easier, more relaxed, and much more eloquent. He does not man- gle his words. He no longer seems merely pugnacious. He is humor- ous and homely. His timing is good. He can even be truly mov- ing, as in the passage in the Oafc- Republican and Independent: "Will active cam- paigning of Thomas E. Dewey for Dwight Eisenhower, the Republi- can candidate for President, help or hurt Eisenhower's chances of being The tally: NATION-WIDE Help Eisenhower's chances 37% Hurt Eisenhower's chances 42% No opinion 21% Thus we have the interesting sit- uation of many voters believing that speech-making in this cam- paign by the Democratic and Re- publican presidential opponents in J1948, Truman and Dewey, has a i negative value to each man's par- ty. A Princeton Research Service poll report last Sunday indicated that 46 per cent of the nation's' voters felt President Truman's campaign tour harmful to Adlai Stevenson's chances. Another 37 per cent indicated they felt Tru- man's campaigning helpful to Stevenson, and 17 per cent ex- pressed no opinion. Analysis of the poll regarding participation of Dewey in the Ei- hurt Eisenhower, 41 per cent; no apparent team operation with opinion, 18 per cent. President Truman and Sen. John And here's the way Democrats Sparkman, the vice presidential were polled: Would help Eisenhow-1 up a fresh on- er, 33 per cent; would hurt Eisen-) slaught on Gen. Dwight D, Eisen- hower, 41 per cent; no opinion, 26 hower and the Republican record per cent. on domestic and foreign policies. Analysis of the poll results by; Stevenson was preparing to sail Van Fleet Reports Enemy'Clobbered' In Outpost Areas By GEORGE A. MCARTHUR SEOUL, Korea roaring ar- tillery duel today held at bay Chi- nese infantrymen threatening a vi- tal Korean peak guarding the an- cient invasion route to Seoul, Fight- ing slackened elsewhere as the biggst Red offensive in a year neared the end of its second day. In Seoul, Fleet, U. i 2 Soviet Jets Fire on U.S. Mercv Plane BERLIN W Two Soviet jet fighters fired several machine-gun Gen. James A. VanJbursts at a U. S. Air Force mercy Eighth Army in the AUied air corrjaor 60 "The'ESth Army has stopped i miles southwest of Berlin today but _ ____ all attacks without any American ship escaped into press roared up from behind and Ffdftt ANd This Associated Press map locates the English town of Harrow where 82 persons were killed in a three-train collision this morning. sheared through the waiting crowd. Within minutes this corner of Har- row looked like a burned-out sil- houette of wartime London, A suburban train standing in the station first was hit from behind by an express bound for London from Scotland, Then, as the wreck- age of this collision splattered the area, the London-Manchester ex press roared up from behind and tion of its main battle positicns. I the clouds and reached Berlin un- j plowed into the piled up coaches. Action has been limited to posts, and the enemy has been j clobbered in that area. Maj. Gen, Lernuel B. Mathewson, 70 Hospitalized Besides the dead accounted for 70 persons were in hos- u.m. ,-_ i DV police.