Winnipeg Free Press Newspaper Archives Oct 17 1970, Page 103

Low-resolution version. To view a high quality image

Start Free Trial
Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - October 17, 1970, Winnipeg, ManitobaFeatures Winnipeg free press saturday october 17, 1970 new Leisure parts of an Empress of Ireland that once navigated the Waters of the Souris and Assiniboine Rivers a one Man 1 museum that sparked a whole Community s inter est in local history the Sites of forts and trails dating Back to the Early Days of the fur Trade and a new Man made Lake As Beautiful As a scottish Loch these Are just a few of the Points of in Terest visited during the sep tember Field trip of the Manitoba historical society. Over 100 people took part in the 700-mile, two Day journey involving eight Manitoba communities and numerous in Between spots each with a Story to Tell. The last of the society s four Centennial year Field trips the route followed parts of the Early trails that led to fort Ellice and Points West. Points of historical inter est in St. James Assiniboia and heading Ley were visited before proceeding to White horse Plains. After traversing the area where la Verendrye first Portage to Lake Manitoba in 1738, the buses and cars turned off the Highway to the p Ort la Reine Cairn believed to Mark the spot where a fort was established that same year by the French explorer. Next Stop was at the aus tin agricultural machinery exhibit. Mention of Austin brings to mind rows and rows of Early farm Machin Ery but there Are Many other attractions too. The 1967 Centennial building houses the nucleus of a transportation exhibit Al ready boasting vehicles ranging from an authentic red River cart and an Early Hearse to a Cadillac also a growing display of miscellaneous items from Manitoba s Pioneer Days. Clocks Kitchen equipment inc uding a hand made Rai Church and Home organs and an ancient grand piano an elaborate Cossack Saddle found abandoned on the Prairie and other item too numerous to mention were viewed with great in Terest. An Early school House. Rom plete with text books and other equipment and Yel Low Quill cottage a Pioneer Home Are also located on this property. During luncheon in bran Don Roy Brown and Garth Stouffer of the Assiniboine historical society entranced the party with the Story of the Empress of Ireland a Stem Wheeler built in 1908-09 at Coulter Man., by an irrepressible irishman capt. Manitoba historical society Ile Field trip tells Many stories by Edith Paterson a Cairn Marks the site of the Early trading Post fort Ellice Rolston Large. After serving on the Souris and Assiniboine Rivers the boat Sank in 1913 and Lay buried in the Silt of the River near Brandon until 1969 when parts of it were recovered and restored As a Manitoba Centennial of the Brandon Jaycees. On display was one of the engines in Good working order and painted like new. More of the fascinating Story of the Empress of ire land in a later edition of new Leisure after Brandon the route Lod to Dauphin by Way of Riding Mountain National and thence to grand View. Grandview is located in a Valley Between the Duck and Riding mountains near what was the Western Shore of ancient Lake Agassiz. As a Centennial project the Grandview District and the Boullon municipality traced and marked with a Cairn the Russell Trail used by Early settlers. Much of Grandview s renewed interest in local history sprang from the efforts of one Man Watson Crossley. Who has two museums on his farm some five Miles from the town. One houses Wood carvings fossils Indi an artefacts and an extensive collection of polished rocks some displayed under Ultra Violet lights. The other the Only remaining log school House of the area was moved to the farm and restored and contains numerous relics of the Early years contributed b y interested residents to add to or memorial to the Bol ton scours of the North West rebellion. Crossley s own collection. An exceptional find was a Muskox Skull unearthed by gravel digging operation. It is unique for the area. Or. Crossley joined with other historians and officials of the District in welcoming the party at dinner in the Grandview United Church. The night was spent in Roblin after which beaut Ful ase Sippi provincial Park was visited where the Shell Mouth dam on the Assiniboine River near the Mouth of the Shell River has created a pictures que Lake extending some 45 Miles Back along the Assiniboine Valley. The Little toxin of Shell Mouth dating Back to the Early 1880s, nestles costly in the Valley near by. Highway 83 was followed to Russell a town of great historical interest. The first settler was probably Wil Liam Denmark who homesteaded immediately North of the present Tow site and operated a store and Post of fice there. Another Pioneer c. A. Boulton later a Sena acquired the land on which the town is situated and in 1881 had the Tow site i m 1969 surveyed. He gained Fame during the Northwest rebel lion in 1885, when he organized the Boulton scouts and commanded them As maj. Boulton. A Monument to the Boul ton scouts stands on the Corner of maj. Boulton s u pm Sci up try in 11 u w Luc Home of mayor j. A. Burgess. A Cairn Marks the site of fort Ellice a Hudson s Bay Post established in 1831-32. Its location on Beaver Creek near where it flows into the Assiniboine River about five Miles below the Mouth of the Quappelle River made it a source of Supply for Pemmican and dried meat and an important stopping place on the Trail leading to fort Carlton and fort Edmonton. The fort Ellice Bell rests in the civic office of nearby St. Lazare. After lunch at Elkhorn where there is an Auto museum and a View of historical buildings in Virden the last Stop was Souris where Hillcrest museum is flourishing in the Sowden mansion and where the famous swinging Bridge was built in 1904 by Squire Wil Liam Sowden Leader of the Millbrook colonization party that came to Souris in 1882. Space does not permit mention of All the historians civic officials and others who welcomed the tour members at the various Points and added greatly to the interest and enjoyment of the trip. Historian de russe Holt and the society executive Secretary Wilson Green acted As tour guides. Among those taking part was Lionel Dorge president of the St. Boniface historical society. According to or. Green people Many of them non members took part in the society s special 1970 Centennial events. He w e 1 comes a surge of interest in Manitoba communities in both local and provincial his tory. Portage la Prairie and Brandon have undertaken replicas of Early forts while places like St George min Nedosa Dauphin grand View Elkhorn Virden and Souris concentrate mainly on museums. Portage la Prairie and Steinbach Are also establishing collections of Early buildings added or. Green. The Manitoba historical society welcomes As members those interested in history. The annual membership fee includes copies of papers Given at the meetings plus other historical material

Search all Winnipeg, Manitoba newspaper archives

All newspaper archives for October 17, 1970

Browse