Order a high-quality 18"x24" poster print of this page. Add to Cart

Salina Journal Newspaper Archives Mar 11 1990, Page 2

Low-resolution version. To view a high quality image

Start Free Trial
Salina Journal, The (Newspaper) - March 11, 1990, Salina, Kansas 2 March the Salina journal people pen pals meet Chicago philanthropist Edna is All smiles Friday after meeting pen pal James Jarvis in known As the bottle lady for her habit of dropping message Laden bottles around the made headlines last month when she sent Jarvis a grand they had corresponded since september when Jarvis found a bottle in the Avon River with Hulbert name and address award winning do director cited Beverly a sir David the 81yearold director whose films have won 27 Academy says his life achievement award from the american film Institute took him by director of such classics As the Bridge on the River kwai and Lawrence of Ara said he never thought of himself As anything so but actors and directors including Anjelica Martin Gene Kelly and Greg Ory Peck were fulsome in their Praise at thursday nights trib lean chuckled through it if anybody had told him when he David lean and his started in the business that he was going to be a he i would think they were previous winners include Jimmy John Huston and Alfred Wallace is fined fair tax evasion a Gerald younger brother of former Alabama George was fined Friday and Given a suspended two year prison sentence for income tax he also was placed on five years a once influential lawyer who is suffering from pleaded guilty in october to two counts of failing to report in Federal taxes for 1984 and District judge Joel Dubina ordered Wallace to pay the first of the Fine by the end of March and the rest within five though he doubted Wallace would be Able to repay the full i have heard you Are the most powerful Man in the judge i dont know if that is but it is a tragedy to see you before Wallace Oneill six marital flops enough new York a actress Jennifer Oneill says that after six Shes had when i say that about being married six i feel absolutely ridiculous because my parents have been married 44 years and they still Bossa Nova around at the 42yearold actress is quoted As saying in a taping of the Joan Rivers show to be broadcast the Only thing i can say is i dont give i think i have Ive Given marriage up for Lent new ii who has been in 27 films and hit stardom nem with the summer of first married at age she has three ranging from age 2 to and is currently separated from her sixth Richard i know Elizabeth Taylor said but ill have to repeat it i didst Date i married she obviously every time one you think that this is going to be i believed it every girl returns Bonanza Detroit a an 11yearold girl said it Felt Good to return in lost jewelry to a vacationing Michigan couple who haunt even noticed their Jennifer Hawkins of West Palm was jogging with her Darrell when she spotted a tapestry bag in a Gutter outside a Palm Beach she took it to the they said it contained in Gold and Pearl Gold necklaces and Ruby and Diamond a Gold Leaf a 28 Inch strand of pearls and a Diamond it was very to be involved in finding Jennifer it especially Felt Good to return it to the police found a matchbook from the heart of Palm Beach hotel in the enabling them to Trace the own Betty and Montgomery the couple gave Hawkins a she didst even realize the purse was police officer Craig the Salina journal zip 67402 published seven Days a 365 Days per year at 333 Salina uses 4780601 Harris publisher second ass postage paid Al additional mailings made from Hays and Colby news Kay Scott manag ing advertising Jane director Chris hop classified circulation Bryan manager Norbert mail room Page composition Kenneth systems press production Dave press business David business area code 913 dial 8236363 copy daily 35c sunday by Carrier in Salina monthly rate including 5 sales by Carrier outside Salina monthly rate including 5 sales by motor route monthly rate including 5 sales mail subscriptions available in areas not serviced by Carrier or motor Send change of address to the Salina Box Kansas if your Salina journal is not delivered by please Call your Carrier or the circulation department at 8236363 out of town same Day delivery will Only be made in response to Calls received prior to in kor other service our circulation is open to monday through Friday to 12 noon saturday and the advertising and business office will close on saturdays at 12 weather today Kansas forecast Kansas City Salina Topeka Liberal Pittsburg 79 showers storms main flurries Snow ice sunny Cloudy Cloudy via associated press graphic Snel Kansas zone forecasts National service forecast zones 20 percent Chance of morning then Clear ing High in South West winds 10 to 20 Mph becoming partly Cloudy tonight and Low 30 to 35 and High monday near zone 3 40 percent Chance of thunderstorms this then High in upper South West winds 15 to 25 partly Cloudy tonight and Low High monday zones 8 mostly Cloudy 50 percent Chance of Thun High near Southwest winds 20 to 30 Low tonight 40 to partly Cloudy High zone 6 mostly Cloudy 50 percent Chance of High near Southwest winds 20 to 30 Low tonight near partly Cloudy High 65 to zones 12 Thunder storms Likely some High near Southwest winds 20 to 30 60 percent Chance of Low tonight near partly Cloudy High mid to upper zones 14 thunderstorms Likely some High near Southwest winds 20 to 30 60 a portend 10 r j13 Salina m Chota j5 percent Chance of rain today and Low near partly Cloudy High 65 to zones 16 thunderstorms Likely today and some be High near Southwest winds 20 to 30 70 percent Chance of Low tonight near partly Cloudy High near zone 17 mostly Cloudy 30 percent Chance of High 70 to Southwest winds 15 to 25 rain Likely Low 55 to High monday in Low extended Outlook tuesday through thursday Chance of rain tuesday and highs in 50s and 60s Cooling to 40s and 50s wednesday and lows in 30s and 40s Cooling to 20s and today National forecast Kansas yesterday High and Low and precipitation hours ended of 7 Belleville Beloit Chanute Coffeyville Concordio Dodge City Emporia Garden City Goodland Hutchinson Lawrence Liberal Pittsburg Russell Topeka Wichita temperatures Lor the 24 69 49 71 55 70 62 72 62 70 53 70 57 71 61 72 51 63 37 69 60 73 63 71 54 71 55 70 53 t t t t Sun times today Sunset tomorrows Sunrise elsewhere High and to 7 to pc Tolk in cd in in Dallas i cd cd cd Clr cd Kansas cd Las cd los Clr Miami cd a psst in new York cd Oklahoma cd cd cd cd cd is cd san Clr san Clr cd cd Athens 52 cd 54 36 cd 37 cd Hong 63 Clr 45 cd 48 cd 68 Clr weather in the news by the associated press rain and Snow fell in the Pacific Northwest and fog slowed air traffic in Milwaukee and showers also fell across the Snow advisories were posted Over the Cascade Range in Washington and Northern where heavy Snow fell late in the snowfall overnight Friday amounted to 3 inches at and the Day eight inches fell at Stampede Salina yesterday 1 54 68 to 24hour to March to Date average March year to Date average year subway crash raises questions about line Philadelphia a the subway train had just left Phil Adelphia bustling 30th Street station when morning commuters noticed something was it kind of hit a bump or something and then it rocked really said Rose and then it hit the posts that separate the two lanes of trains and then it came off the tracks three people were lulled and 94 injured when the Southeastern Pennsylvania transportation authority six car train filled with hundreds of people heading to derailed at the last three cars abruptly were jerked onto adjacent tracks one car was ripped open by steel pillars in the 83yearold after president Bush and transportation Secretary Samuel Skinner had unveiled a National transportation policy urging further cuts in Federal support for mass investigators findings came in one of four motors on the trains third car had lost its primary and backup come Loose and gouged feet of ties before hitting a crossover the National transportation safety Board on the Board said 27 of 76 motors it inspected on 19 cars were improperly including one other motor on the same car on which the motor had the Motorman driving the train had tested positive for cocaine but the Board said it haunt been determined whether the drug was a Factor in the the Mot whose name was will be suspended without pay Mon authority spokesman Dave still unexplained by the author Ity or City officials was a 17minute in which an authority Dis Patcher didst Issue an alarm for nine minutes after the derailment and paramedics we rent summoned for eight minutes the safety Board recommended none of the Budd cars be used until inspected and and commuters had to take shuttle buses the rest of the week for a 37 Block stretch of the open sunday 14 pm harolds clothing downtown Ben Franklin downtown Salina 140 Santa be 9138236992 Spring specials gun knife v March 2425 95 93 Kansas state Fairgrounds 20th Poplar Hutchinson is exhibitor information weekly specials every haircuts child 3 shampoo t sat Prmt Short 10 wraps with Nail tips without Nail tips Call Lor appointment 8268155 Academy of hair 118 sch Sali re Wal 24 deep space saving Tup High humidity crisper drawers meat keeper Dairy module ice n water dispenser control system keeps food fresh not just cold Nile Lite cubic feet of storage space free local delivery financing available Salina appliance showroom 740 Salina 8271420 we service what we sell Wall Frame Wood Glass die Hanger and 8x10 74 1 perfectly woodsy sweetheart Rose or Garden 28 to Short youth size paint proof to Stop 36 adult Slit High Quality fiber with a Down like smooth Woven poly 14x1 70 Sale starts March 11 thru March 15 Ben Franklin downtown Salina Naho Santa be 913 til journal ads pay

Search all Salina, Kansas newspaper archives

All newspaper archives for March 11, 1990

Browse
Order a high-quality 18"x24" poster print of the page above.