Order a high-quality 18"x24" poster print of this page. Add to Cart

Ottumwa Courier Newspaper Archives May 2 2015, Page 1

Low-resolution version. To view a high quality image

Start Free Trial
Ottumwa Courier (Newspaper) - May 2, 2015, Ottumwa, Iowa Ottumwa courier $1.50 Southeast Iowa a Best newspaper saturday May 2,2015 in local a3dollhouse moves to sos in local 06goorier travels to China in sports 01winner takes All for i acc softball area forecast is wet but not severe by Matt Milner be Iowa digital Content editor Ottumwa a the National weather service has raised its expectations of thunderstorms this weekend but the timing has been pushed Back a bit. A front will Slouch its Way across the state bringing a Chance of rain through sunday. But the Odds Arentt All that great with a 30 percent Chance the highest it gets before the Sun sets sunday. That a when things will pick up though. There a a 60 percent Chance of thunderstorms sunday night and a 70 percent Chance monday. Things Calm Down a Little bit after that but there a a Good Chance of showers and thunderstorms right through the week. But at this Point the storm prediction Center Isnit giving High Odds of severe weather in the area. Southeast Iowa does no to even Rise to a marginal risk on sunday and mondays storms Are not currently viewed As organized enough to present a significant risk. The area could use some rain. April a rain did no to come in the amounts it normally did the month ranked 83rd out of 123 years according to the Iowa environmental Meronet. Wapello county averaged 5.54 inches for the month about 2 inches Short of Normal. But state climatologist Harry Hillaker said the month was closer to Normal than the previous few months and that a encouraging. In most cases the most reliable indicator of future rain is the immediate past so Hillaker said getting Back toward Normal should allay some concerns at least for Southeast Iowa. A it Isnit really terribly below Normal a said Hillaker. The next week should make up for at least some of the Gap. It looks like some of the rain could be a fairly substantial a in Hillaker swords particularly toward the Tail end of the system. The area will get a bit of time to dry out afterwards but Hillaker said some models suggest it could be the Start of a Wetter pattern. Please see weather Page a6 by Danielle Lunsford courier staff writer class of 2015 celebrates continuing education Wax museum brings assignment to life Ottumwa a Ottumwa High school seniors declared their Post graduation education plans by decorating colourful construction paper pennants. The event which ran through the afternoons three lunch periods allowed members of the class of 2015 to celebrate the next step of life. A people always make a really big Deal out of athletes signing Day where they have the coaches present and the banners hanging. Today we Are celebrating education not just athletics a said Dean of students Wendy Maas As she watched seniors Many dressed in celebratory College gear sign College decision Day cards. The event is part of first lady Michelle Obama a reach higher initiative which is meant to inspire americans youth to continue their education after High school whether in a College atmosphere or a professional training program. A education is the key to Success for so Many kids. And my goal specifically is to reach out directly to Young people and encourage them to take charge of their futures and Complete an education beyond High school a said the first lady in a statement about the initiative january 2014. Maas explained it is important for the approximately 300 soon to be graduates to realize that in today a Economy they must reach higher to gain Good paying employment. After posing for a photo with his red handmade Pennant future Iowa state University student Austin Luebbers called it a great Way to show underclassmen the excitement of finally choosing a path for the future. Please see continue Page a a people always make a really big Deal out of athletes signing Day where they have the coaches present and the banners hanging. Todey we Are celebrating education not just Dean of students Wendi mrs Patrick Sheby tie courier Olivia Paten or As she was known on Friday afternoon Mark Twain along with fifth Grade classmates picked out important research information to create a first person speech they recited in costume during Horace Mann elementary schools Wax museum program. By Danielle Lunsford courier staff writer Community members packed the Horace Mann elementary gymnasium to catch a glimpse of some famous faces including athletes political figures and history makers. A the Wax museum is a Long tradition Here at Horace Mann a said fifth Grade teacher Ann Weil Brenner. A the students get to pick a famous person dead or alive to research and the project ties in nicely to our nonfiction please see Wax Page a need a lift Gall the fire department by Matt Milner be Iowa digital Content editor Ottumwa a Here a the dilemma you need to get a Good look at the roof but the building in question is considerably higher than the typical Home. Add to that the fact its More than too years old and on the National Register of historic places so clambering around on top of the building Isnit your Best move. If you re Ottumwa a City Engineer you Call the fire department. After All they have a new truck with a very Long Boom. Its 70 feet from the Street to City Halls North Wall. But the of do a new truck cleared the distance easily. The truck has been in Ottumwa for about two months but learning How to use a 101-foot-Long piece of machinery takes some work. All of that made fridays circumstances perfect for some training. The truck was Able to deliver City Engineer Larry seals for a close inspection of the roof. Firefighters put the Aerial Basket within inches of the building and were Able to move As needed to make sure the Job got done. Matt mine Flthe courier the need for a closeup inspection of the roof at City Hall brought the Ottumwa fire department out on Friday afternoon. It was an Opportunity to train with the departments new truck and it got City Engineer Larry seals within inches of the roof. Matt Milner can be and reached at Milner followed Mumi Ilner. Two Day forecast today. A 20 percent Chance of showers and thunderstorms after 2 . Partly sunny with a High near 76. Saturday night. A 20 percent Chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly Cloudy with a Low around 57. Sunday. A 20 percent Chance of showers and thunderstorms before 8 Arn mostly sunny with a High near 82. Breezy. Sunday night. Showers and thunderstorms Likely after 8 . Mosul Cloudy with a Low around 60. Breezy. Chance of precipitation is 60 percent. New rainfall amounts Between a Quarter and half of an Inch. Weather Page a6 Index a2-3. B6. A4. C1-2. A5. C2-5. A6. C6. B1-3. C6-7. B4. C8. B5. Saturday courier 97113 12151 2014 Buick real Pearl Whitt w beige leather int v-6 automatic 261 i ,Power Ano heated seats heated steering wheel Back up camera 2014 Ford fusion Silver vow Black leather int v-6 automatic 36 500 Mac is pm pm pm til cruise cd heated Power seats 2012 Chevy Cruze red we Gray cloth int 4 Cyl automatic 24 300 Mac is pm , cruise cd

Search all Ottumwa, Iowa newspaper archives

All newspaper archives for May 2, 2015

Browse
Order a high-quality 18"x24" poster print of the page above.