New Braunfels Herald Zeitung (Newspaper) - September 27, 1983, New Braunfels, Texas
“Itch * Qty)? ie
•.J. t*V ^5^3-';
Like the horse races, the annual Comal County fair rode off into the sunset Sunday. For more photos, see page ll.
Staff photo by John N. Sen retNew JLlb, Braunfels
Haw Braunfels, TexasHerald-Zeituna
Vol. 92 - No. 192 16 Pages
TUESDAY September 27, 1983
Continental makes return with reduced schedule
HOUSTON (AP) — Continental Airlines returned to the skies this morning, two days after filing for bankrupcy, with bargain fares and about a quarter of its former U.S. routes.
The earner’s first flight left Houston Intercontinental Airport at 7:31 a.m. today for Lafayette and Baton Rouge, La. The DC-9, which had a 90-seat capacity, left the airport with only six passengers aboard.
Continental grounded all its domestic flights Saturday and filed papers with a federal bankruptcy court in Houston, proposing to reopen today with flights to 25 of the 78 U.S. cities it had served.
“We are very optimistic and very enthusiastic about our future," Continental President Frank l^orenzo said Monday at a news conference. “Now that costs are firmly under control, we can compete and build a Continental Airlines that our founders and everyone associated with us can be proud of."
Lorenzo announced the airline will offer one-way fares of $49 on all non-stop domestic flights until Friday. The fares will then jump to $75 until Oct. 15, he said. No prices were quoted for flights after that.
Lorenzo's statement came two days after he announced the airline had filed for reorganization and temporarily suspended domestic flights after posting losses of $471.9 million since January 1979.
The airline’s bankruptcy court papers said three
problems made reorganization necessary': low-cost competition, reservations systems controlled by two other earners and labor costs.
Late Monday afternoon, U S. Bankruptcy Judge Phil Peden granted Continental’s request for a temporary restraining order requiring 266 airlines. cities and other companies to continue operational agreements that were in effect before Continental filed for reorganization. According to the motion, the agreements were “vital to their (Continental’s) continued existence ’’
Peden set an Oct. 7 hearing on the airline’s motion for an injunction on the matter.
Officials of pilot and flight attendant unions denounced the bankruptcy filing as ’union busting ’ but said they had no plans to picket or strike Continental.
Union officials said the reorganized Continental established a pilot captain's salary at $43,000. less than half the $89,400 paid previously. Flight attendants took a 41 percent cut in pay, with a salary set at $22,500 for top-line workers Claudia Iampe, a spokeswoman for the Union of Flight Attendants, said about 300 union members attending a meeting in Denver Monday generally favored a strike. Flight attendants held a similar
See CONTINENTAL, Page ll
Airline workers not behind woes, local pilot says
By DEBBIE DoLOACH Staff writer
Continental pilot Carey McWilliams of New Braunfels got a call to fly today.
“Yes, I still have a job I just don’t know for how long and for how much," McWilliams said Tuesday morning Two days after filing for bankruptcy Continental Airlines returned to the skies early this morning, with bargain fares and about one quarter of its former UJ5 routes.
The Airline Pilots Association decided to release pilots lo fly, pending negotiations, so I have an idea I'll be flying at reduced wages." McWilliams said But I don't know just how reduced yet.”
The bankruptcy move came as no surprise to
See PILOT. Page ll
MADD wants city bars to close at midnight
Israel Rodriguez (left), Timoteo Moreno and Henry Alvarez Jr. (background) work on the interior of the Schmitz Hotel on Main Plaza. The facade of the old hotel was redone two years ago, and a Houston group is reworking the interior for office space.
By DYANNE FRY Staff writer
The local Mothers Against Drunk Drivers group sees no reason why New Braunfels bars should slay open longer than bars in surrounding cities.
MADD asked City Council Monday night to consider repealing Ordinance No. 79-18, which permits specially-permitted bars to serve alcohol until 2 a m seven days a week.
“Since the neighboring cities of San Marcos and Seguin do not have a 2 a.m. ordinance, we feel ifs an open invitation for those potential DWls to come to our city," said John Reynolds, speaking for MADD Apparently, many drivers make the trip after their
local bars shut down at midnight, when they’ve already had several drinks
"We believe the original time limit of midnight on week nights, and I o’clock on Sunday morning, is more rn keeping with the standards of this community,” Reynolds said.
Reactions of the council members vaned. The general consensus was that the matter would bear looking into, but that hasty action wasn’t a good idea.
The MADD representative said Comal County courts had prosecuted 771 Driving While Intoxicated cases since Jan. I, “which makes us one of the highest in the slate." he said Furthermore, some 46 percent of those arrested for DWI gave out-of-town
addresses, Reynolds said.
Mayor Pro Tem La Verne E ber hard wondered if the high statistics weren’t partly a result of more stnngent enforcement of DWI laws over the past year or two. Barbara Tieken had talked to County Attorney Bill Renner, who brought up the pitfalls of the 2 a m drinking ordinance at a MADD meeting some months ago She agreed that local governments were probably doing a better job of catc hing and prosecuting the drunks that had always been out there
But Renner also gave her some address statistics At one time, she said, more than half the DWI
See MADD. Page Ii
Annexation hearing plannedInside
Two strips of land targeted for annexation in January have resurfaced after five months in limbo. City Council will hold a public hearing Oct. 24 on areas 8 and 12.
The hearing is set for 7:30 p.m. in the city council chamber. Area 8 is a 500-foot strip along Krueger Lane, extending from the existing city limits to the edge of New Braunfels’ extraterritorial jurisdiction. Area 12 is a 500-foot strip along FM 1863.
City Manager E N. Delashmutt believes each area involves just one property owner. There are no residences in either area.
Council delayed setting hearings on these areas last May, at the recommendation of City Attorney John Churm. At that time, the city's new district election plan was under review by the U.S. Department of Justice, and Churm did not want to "muddy the waters" with annexation, even if there weren’t
any voters living in the areas under consideration.
Now, the city election system is being challenged in court by the Mexican American Legal Defense and Education Fund. Or so the council hears. Churm noted he’d received no official notice of the lawsuit as of Monday night, and no papers have been served to city council members.
"I don’t know anything about it other than what I’ve read in the newspaper," he said. The suit was filed Friday in a San Antonio federal court
At any rate, Chunn saw no reason why the city should not hold annexation hearings on areas 8 and 12.
Another stumbling block that was present last spring has been removed. Effective Aug. 30, the Texas Legislature deleted the requirement that at
See ANNEXATION. Page lf
CISD gets TEA 'reminder'
By DEBBIE DalOACH Staff writer
The long-awaited Texas Education Agency report on a controvereial Comal ISO incident didn’t carry much of a punch.
HSP Supt. Edgar WiUheim received a copy of the Commissioner of Education’s report in Monday's The report established that trustees Carey
McWilliams and Karen Rust did vuut an Advanced English IU classroom on May 27. In connection with that visit, a final examination was cut short — a decision that has since been put solely on the classroom teacher "An individual board member only has the same rights that any citiien has when it comes to visiting a
See CUD, Page ItForecast
fjmfi County forecast calls for late night and early morning cloudiness; otherwise, partly cloudy and warm through Wednesday. There ie also a SB percent t el thunderstorms this afternoon. Winds will be southeasterly today and Wednesday, and light and variable tonight. Sunset will be at 7:22 pm., and sunrise Wednesday will be st 1:23 am.Two Guns
Authorities said st least two girns were used in IsM wsskead’s execubon-style slayings of five people who were abducted from a Kentucky Pried Chicken restaurant and (ben taken te a remote rural spot to be killed See Papa IO
DEAR ABBY.......... 3
TV LISTINGS......... 13
PLO factions clash, but cease-fire holds
BEIRUT. Lebanon .AP) - The Lebanese army today accused antigovernment forces of using the newly proclaimed cease-fire to reinforce positions around army strongholds on the hills overlooking Beirut
Bul an army statement carrying the charge stopped short of accusing Syrian-ba eked Druse militiamen af violating the cease-fire, which Monday halted a three-week civil war in Lebanon’s central mountains and the outskirts of Beirut
No fighting among the principals rn the civil war was reported today, but newsmen in the northern port city of Tripoli said seven Palestinian guerrillas were killed this morning in a bazooka and machine gun exchange between factions supporting and opposing Palestine Liberation Organization chairman Yasser Arafat.
Beirut newspapers said a four-man committee — composed of representatives of the army and warring Christian. Druse and Shiite Moslem militias — planned Ut meet privately today to work on
arrangements fur consolidating the truce
Newspaper reports said U N Secretary-General Javier Perez de Cuellar was in contact with the presidents of Syria and lebanon regarding formation of a observation force to monitor the cease-fire
The reports said between 500 and •OO observers would be needed to supervise the truce, mediated bv Saudi Arabia and the United Stales to end fighting that erupted after the Israeli army withdrew from Lebanon’s central mountains Sept 4.
Gen Franco Angiom, commander af Italy’s contingent in the multinational peacekeeping force, told The Associated Press that Italy has been asked to send up to 250 troops to the central mountains as part of the observation force And the leftist newspaper As-Safir quoted unnamed Lebanese government sources as saying France has promised to contribute 250 observers.
As-Safir said the four-man cease-
See MIDEAST, Page Ii