New Braunfels Herald Zeitung (Newspaper) - October 11, 1983, New Braunfels, Texas
rile -'n 1 r*y t * ,
1 -l^tOh ^U7jt:ie i'.vj. DO/ U543r;
A New JJ-LL Braunfels
Maw Braunfels, Tun
Search underway for Watt successor
Vol. 92 - No. 202 12 Pages
October 11,1983 25 cants
WASHINGTON (AP) - Former Wyoming Sen. Clifford Hansen may not be running for the job of interior secretary, but he’s not exactly walking away from it, either.
As the Reagan administration put the task of finding a replacement for James Watt on a fast track Monday, Hansen, often mentioned as a leading candidate, said he was “com* pigmented" to be considered.
Three years ago, when the Wyoming senator was Reagan’s first choice for the interior post, Hansen took himself out of the running, complaining about the financial disclosure requirements.
But this time around, Hansen says the rules have been relaxed somewhat, indicating they wouldn’t be the impediment they once were.
“I am sure the president has a lot of good people to consider and I am complimented if I am one of them,” Hansen said in an interview. “That’s the sort of thing that is best net anticipated.”
While the search for a successor began in earnest, Watt played tennis Monday in view of reporters as his chief spokesman offered more details on his boss’s decision to step down following an 18-day uproar over his description of “a black,... a woman, two Jews and a cripple” on a coal leasing advisory commission.
For the time being. Watt remains interior secretary, agreeing to stay on the job until a successor is confirmed by the Senate. Edwin Meese III, the president’s counselor, said the administration hoped to have a replacement chosen in a week to 14 days and Senate approval by the time Congress adjourns next month.
While Meese refused to speculate about possible successors, other administration and Capitol Hill sources said others in the running in addition to Hansen are Rep. Manuel Lujan, R-N.M.; Energy Secretary Donald Hodel, who served as Watt’s
See WATT, Page 12
Highway patrolmen deny Butler charges
JAMES WATT .. ex-secretary
By DEBBIE DeLOACH Staff writer
The second floor of the Comal County Courthouse has been a sea of Department of Public Safety uniforms for over a week now. Monday afternoon, individual troopers finally had their say on the witness stand.
Attorneys for DPS first had a chance to cross-examine Robert Butler, the man who has taken Sgt. James Holder, his Col. James Adams and DPS to court to fight a transfer order to Rockport.
Butler’s suit alleges misappropriation of public funds and-or materials, and abuse of official powers by state officials. It also states his transfer to Rockport was “punitive in nature," for reporting violations of law in good faith to appropriate law enforcement officials.
Ann Kraatz with the Attorney General’s Office asked Butler why he hadn’t used the DPS chain of command review available on unwanted transfers.
"When DPS said I was moving, it came from the colonel. He’s already got his mind made up, and DPS isn’t going to go back on that," Butler said.
"Isn’t it true that you yourself requested a transfer
before your Rockport notice came in?,” she asked.
“Yes, I wanted to work on the Law Enforcement Task Force. It’s a stepping stone to becoming an agent, and I saw a way to get back to this area that way,” Butler said. “I saw no way to ever come back as a trooper.”
Butler's first choice for Task Force duty was Marfa. His second choice was "anywhere.”
“You used to be on the S W A T team in Comal County, didn’t you’’’ Kraatz asked. Butler said he helped with the training
“But the sergeant told you that you weren’t on it anymore because you had alienated some of the older members'”
“He said something like that,” Butler said, “but he wasn’t interested in my side of the story.”
Butler had testified last week about files he kept on Holder and his fellow troopers He described those records Monday were "more like a diary, a day-by-day account of what I do I wrote down things I saw that weren’t right, and when the sergeant would memo me on something. I’d look
See DPS, Page 12
County seeks temporary remedy for jail
By PATRICIA YZNAGA KING Wire editor
Commissioners learned Monday that the county does not have to go through the formal bidding process to begin work on a temporary mimmum-security facility.
Earlier this month, the commissioners authorized jail architect Chns Di’Stephano to expand architectural drawings to include a 48-bed mimmum-secunty facility dormitory.
Meanwhile, the couuiussioners and Comal County Sheriff Walter Fellers were to study
the feasibility of converting a floor of the present jail into a minim urn-sec un ty facility. The dormitory would house prisoners until the new jail is completed.
County Attorney Bill Renner said Monday that if the situation was considered an emergency the county could get informal bids from previous jail bidders over the phone, instead of going through the formal process of advertising for bids.
The situation could be considered an emergency if Fellers felt that the safety and health of the prisoners was contingent on the temporary expansion, Reinter said. Also,
since federal law supercedes state law, the federal requirement of a minimum-sec unty facility would automatically supercede the state requirement for formal bidding, he said.
“If the county does not get this taken care of. we will be liable in federal court,” Renner said.
County Auditor Bate Bond told commissioners that the sheriff’s office has already spoken to potential bidders. The highest bid was $38,000, which included all the modifications required by the Jail Standards Commission. The facility would
house about 16 persons. Bond said.
Commissioner Precinct 4 W.N. “Bill” George said that the Qty of Hillsboro, Texas, had plans for a portable building which would hold 24 persons. The plans were available free for the the county to consider, he said.
George said the building, which met jail standards, would cost between $30,000 to $35,000.
County Judge Fred Clark said the court would consider the jail plans in Hillsboro and weigh the options against present jail expansion.
Wurstfest, MADD agree to 3 of 4 proposals
By DY ANNE FRY Staff writer
Murder charge deals a blow to Southside
SAN ANTONIO (AP) — The superintendent of Southside High School says his district has been “knocked back three years” by the publicity that ensued after a 14-year-old student was accused of killing a woman by slashing her throat.
The boy, a freshman at Southside, was arrested Friday and charged with the slaying of 34-year-old Lynn Clara Popham Investigators said the throat of Ms. Popham, a mother of three, was slashed several times during a rape attempt at her home near the school.
Three of the boy’s teen-age friends, who also played hooky to drink beer, were relented after being questioned by sheriff's investigators.
“We are fighting a bed Image,” Mid Southside superintendent Ronald Gayer. “We had made tremaadone gains, which is not to My we don’t have a long way togo. Then this happened.”
A school assembly was callid for today to rhaHirg- Southside students to regain the district's Miasma, ha said.
’Oaf said bs could not discuss what dbdptinary •se aOCTHSUML, Page 12
The local Mothers Against Drunk Drivers chapter, formed in the wake of William Dale Savage’s involuntary manslaughter trial last spring, plans to monitor this year’s Wurstfest “very closely.” said MADD president John Reynolds.
Savage was convicted of killing Ruben Sauced* Sr. in a traffic accident on the second night of Wurstfest 1982. He later pleaded guilty to the deaths of Sauced*’s wife and two children, who lost their lives in the same accident. During the trial, Sauceda admitted to having attended Wurstfest; and there were some empty beer cups found in bu car.
The incident drew a great deal of attention from Bexar County’s MADD chapter, and led indirectly to the forming of a Comal County chapter.
Five members of bu group met in late September with the Wurstfest Association’s executive committee, to discuss ways to cut down on drinking-driving hazards during this year's fest.
Tom Purdum, executive vice president for Wurstfest. said the two groups agreed on most points. Reynolds said the MADD members “felt pretty good” about the joint session, but planned to keep in touch and see how Wurstfest follows through on the measures discussed.
“We made four proposals. They were in favor of three,” Reynolds said.
MADD’s fourth proposal, which was that each Wurstfest guest be limited to six cups of beer, didn’t go over. Reynolds' group had suggested a punch card system, and the Wurstfest committee said it didn't have the manpower to implement such a system this year The two groups also seem to have different opinions as to how effective it would be Reynolds said he thought the committee members were “sincere in their efforts to make Wurstfest a more family-oriented celebration My concern is, I don’t think they’re going far enough ” lf every ticket stub had six holes to be punched for beer sales, "We know that some people would take other people's tickets and buy extra beer,” Reynolds said. “But we would hope the person who
gave them the < extra) ticket would be the one driving home.”
Purdum thought a punch card might encourage more drinking, because guests might feel that they "had” to buy all the beer they’re entitled to. “We don't average six cups a person,” he said.
MADD’s ocher three suggestions were to warn against excessive drinking in the Wurstfest brochures and programs, put up “stay-sober” signs on the highways approaching town, and run shuttlebuses between the Wurstfest grounds and the local hotels and campgrounds Regarding the first item, We asked them to clarify that, because we felt that putting a warning in there would call too much attention to it,” Purdum said. “What they said was, that they would like us not to talk about beer-drinking ’’
In fact, Wurstfest stopped advertising beer in its brochures and schedules several years ago, Purdum said. That was part af the association's effort to control the crowds and attract a more family-type audience.
See HADD, Page 12
Today will be partly cloudy and warm, with highs in the mid-8Qs and southeast winds Mowing 10-1$ miles per hour. A cold front is expected tonight, making Comal County cloudy and cooler, with a 50 percent chance af thunderstorms Tonight’s low will be in the upper-SOs. Wednesday will be mostly cloudy, with e 40 percent chance of storms and a high in the low-70s Winds tonight will be from the north at approximately IO mph, increasing to 15 mph on Wednesday. Expect much cooler temperatures Thursday through Saturday, with skies clearing off some time Thursday night. Sunset today will be at 7:06 p.m., and sunrise Wednesday at 7:30 am
Charges in lawsuit unfounded, Fellers says
Comal County Sheriff Walter Fellers said he knows which unidentified deputies are named in a $1.3 million lawsuit filed by a New Braunfels family claiming false arrest and brutality.
“I think I know who they are, but I’d rather not My. Not while the suit’s going an,” Fellers said Tuesday The suit, filed in US. District Court Friday, alleges that three unidentified deputies arrested, searched and
)ailed four members of the Benedeie family last October without probable cause or warrants Brothers George. BUI and Robert Benedeie and George’s pregnant wife were charged with either driving while intoxicated or resisting arrest The suit states the charges were later
There’s been a thorough inlet SUIT, Page 12
Sled ahato a* Cmd* ScSMmh
Abram Davila guides the drilling rig to its destination as work continues on the New Braunfels National Bank expansion on Walnut Avenue The bank expansion was on# of several major projects begun in September. helping boost building permits to their highest total for 1963
Clonts' condition still critical
New Braunfels High School senior Julie Clonts remains in critical but stable condition at Methodut Hospital ie San Antonio
Clonts, the daughter of Mr. sad Mrs. Arthur Cloots, MI Twin Oaks, tasted multiple AuD fractures Thursday morning after she was Mown off a truck on
Highway 4ft, loss than a mile from Loop 387. She was taken to McKenna Memorial Hostel for emergency trueuuknt, and was later transferred to Methodist Hospital hi Sea Antonio.
occurred The homecoming bonfire canceled because of the accident.
carrying bnad) for a homecoming bonfire al Cypreos tad Park when the accident
School official* said during the that although Clonts injuries were severe, her condition was improving.
New Braunfels police said that the accident was the first accident in many years to be associated with school bonfires