New Braunfels Herald Zeitung Newspaper Archives

- Page 5

Issue Date:
Pages Available: 14

About New Braunfels Herald Zeitung

  • Publication Name: New Braunfels Herald Zeitung
  • Location: New Braunfels, Texas
  • Pages Available: 250,382
  • Years Available: 1952 - 2013
Learn More About This Publication


  • 2.17+ Billion Articles and Growing Everyday!
  • More Than 400 Years of Papers. From 1607 to Today!
  • Articles Covering 50 U.S.States + 22 Other Countries
  • Powerful, Time Saving Search Features!
Find Your Ancestors Now

View Sample Pages : New Braunfels Herald Zeitung, November 15, 2003

Get Access to These Newspapers Plus 2.17+ Billion Other Articles

OCR Text

New Braunfels Herald Zeitung (Newspaper) - November 15, 2003, New Braunfels, Texas New Braunfels girls basketball Unicorns open season at home against Clemens. Time: 8 p.m. Smithson valley girls basketball Rangers host San Marcos in season opener. Time: 9 p.m. Information: Rangers favored to win district. Smithson valley boys basketball New-look Rangers host Churchill in season opener. Time: 8 pm. Canyon cheerleader Chawnasee Retcloff.A dean sweep on the gridiron Canyon rolls over Austin Reagan, 38-15 By WsHy Gullick Correspondent When Canyon sophomore Jerris Springfield raced 23 yards for a touchdown on his first postseason carry, it set the tone for the Cougars. They were going to attack as advertised — with their potent rushing game. Four rushing touchdowns later the Cougars gave their school its first playoff win in five years, 38-15 over Austin Reagan at Cougar Stadium. “I never would have believed it. Austin-Reagan looked so fast on film, but our guys deserve all they have coming to them. It was probably the best game we played all year,” Canyon Coach Brad Wright said. The Cougars built a 22-0 lead at halftime and were never seriously challenged. Springfield, a late-season call up from junior varsity, rushed for 96 yards, including a 44-yard sprint on the Cougars opening drive of the second half. “It was all about the line tonight. On the touchdown run, Todd Kidd had a great block to open the hole. There were also great blocks down-field and James (Green) made a great read,” said Springfield. Jeremy Molinet had 87 yards in 14 carries, including the game’s final touchdown from one yard out. “I'd hate to be a defensive player against our team right now,” Green said. “We’ve got three quality backs and a line that makes everything go.” As the quarterback, Green pulls the trigger of the threepronged attack and called his own number for three touch downs. His final touchdown sealed the deal, even though there was still 4:43 left in the third quarter. It came just 17 seconds after Raiders quarterback Damien McCradic showed off his 4.5 speed in the 40 with a dash to the endzone from 55 yards out. McCradic had given Reagan a glimmer of hope, trailing 22-7, only to have Green smash those hopes with his 43-yard run. “Even though we had a few long runs tonight, it’s more our style to ground it out and we stick with what’s working," Green said. “If the pass is there, we’ll take that too." Coming into the game, Canyon was averaging 279 yards on the ground and did nothing to diminish that average. Green had 174 alone, running behind Canyon’s overpowering offensive line. “When we went three and out on our first two possessions, I thought ’oh no, here we go, they’re going to come after us with that speed.’ But then we got the big play to get us going,” said Wright. linebacker Tanner Henk set up Canyon’s first touchdown when he grabbed an errant McCradic pass at the Raiders 40 and returned it 17 yards. “This team had the speed, but it was one dimensional. I also don’t think they regarded us very highly,” Wright said. “We don’t have the guys who’re going to run the 4.5 40. We’re more of a blue-collar type team.” Overshadowed in the 23-point win was the kicking of Bryan jonas. He connected on field goals from 25 and 30 New Braunfels runs by Anderson, 34-21 DAVID INGRAM/Herald-Zeitung Canyon Tanner Henk (88) fights an Austin Reagan player for the football while Justin Atkinson (3) holds on during Canyon's 38-15 win Friday at Cougar Stadium. i yards out and totally elimi-Hated Reagan’s return game,    f Three kickoffs resulted in touchbacks and his short punts had enough air in them that the* Raiders could only hope to c atc h them. to    I kick that set up the Cougars    | HRfe- J on the Raiders 18. Three plays    ^ later Green raced home from    ^I IO yards out putting Canyon up 16-0 with 8:49 left in the first half. “It’s going to get tougher than this as we* go along. It has to. hill tonight was all about vW these kids. They have worked I_ so hard and come to practice    david    moRAM/Heraid-Zeitung with' a smile on their face Canyon's Jerris Springfield every day,’’ said Wright.    runs for a touchdown. By Jason Chlapek Staff Writer AUSTIN — For the second straight week New Braunfels used a dominating running game to stymie their opponent. Friday night, the Unicorns rolled up 313 yards on the ground to down Anderson 34-21 in the first round of the playoffs. The Unicorns, 8-3, will face Kerrville Tivy in the second round. New Braunfels lost to Tivy 28-7 during the regular season. . Head Coach Rick Rhoades said the play of his offensive line and defense was the key to the Friday night’s win. “Our offensive line came off the ball very well tonight and they also did a great job of reading Anderson’s defensive fronts,” Rhoades said. “Defensively, we did a great job as well. We got to the ball and swarmed.” Leading the way on the offensive line were Brooks Wilson and Justin Watts. “The coaches did a great job this week of preparing us for the game,’’ Wilson said. “We just got good blocking angles and stopped the blitz.” Quarterback Michael Cantu was not sacked all night and had 220 yards of total offense, including 160 on the ground. “We linemen did a great job of blocking and so did the receivers,"’’Watts said. “Our ball carriers were also hard to bringdown." Cantu was not the only 100-yard rusher in the game. Teammate Roland Adams ran the ball 20 times for 155 yards and four touchdowns. “We planned on running up the middle,” Adams said. “You have to do that against a fast defense. If you run outside on them, they can get you, so we just pounded them up the middle." Over the last three weeks, Adams had been splitting time with Mike Hernandez, but Rhoades left Adams in the driver’s seat Friday. The game was close at intermission as the Unicorns led 14-7 on a five-yard touchdown pass from Cantu to Paul Thebeau and Adams’ three-yard rumble into the endzone. After stopping the Unicorns on fourth down in the third quarter, the Trojans tied the score at 14-14 on tailback Chris Nwoko’s 48-yard touchdown run. Then the Unicorns went back to work as Cantu ran for 26 yards on second-and-14 from his own 18. Adams had carries of IO and 11 yards and Cantu had carries of three and 13 yards before Adams capped the drive with an eight-yard run to help the Unicorns regain the lead, 21-14. After a defensive stand, the Unicorns struck again as Adams scored for the third time, this one from five yards out to give New Braunfels a 28-14 advantage. After the Unicorns surrendered a touchdown pass in the fourth quarter, Adams put the game away with a 52-yard sprint into the endzone for his fourth TD of the game. Interceptions by defensive backs Jory Werth and Kyle Rahe put an end to any Trojans scoring threat and sealed the win for New Braunfels. THE DAILY IC-K-ET Off to college Brooke Engel signs with North Texas. To have your event publicized, contact David Rupkalvis at 625-9144. ext. 223, or by e-mail at [email protected] Saturday, November 15,2003 — Herald-Zeitung — Page 5A Herald-Zeitung Sepeda wins decision as pro boxing debuts By Jason Chlapek Staff Writer Professional boxing was the hit of New Braunfels Thursday. For the first time, the pros came to town and put on a show for approximately 500 fans at the civic center. The main event featured IBA Featherweight Champion Manuel Sepeda of San Marcos against Deandre King of Fort Worth. The match went all six rounds and Sepeda came away with a unanimous decision. King came to the ring to a chorus of jeers, while Sepeda walked into the ring with the crowd standing and cheering. Once the bell sounded, it was all Sepeda. I ie punished King with uppercuts and blows to the midsection. King also landed some big blows, but the judges went with the champ. In the co-main event, Roman “Baby” Trejo of San Marcos fought Arturo Dava-los of Laredo in a lightweight match. The bout was hard fought by both men, who bloodied each other's faces. In the end, Davalos earned a unanimous decision. Thursday's fights also featured the pro debuts of lightweight Jorge “Diablo” Mar tinez, junior featherweight Gabriel Valdez and heavyweight Ian Schoolcraft — the German Assassin. All three fighters hail from San Antonio. Martinez traded gloves with crosstown rival Mark Favela, who took Martinez to the brink. The two traded punches throughout their four-round melee, but Martinez was awarded the decision. San Antonio’s Luis Muriel opposed Valdez. While neither man fought well enough to win, both fought well enough not to lose. The match ended in a draw. Schoolcraft was not as fortunate. The "Assassin” suffered a knockout just two minutes into the match. Schoolcraft debuted against Rocky Lopez, also of San Antonio, and he knocked his opponent to the floor early in the first round. When Lopez got up, he punished Schoolcraft with blows to the head that put the rookie on his back three times. The third time was the charm for Lopez as Schoolcraft spit his bloodied mouthpiece out after sitting up, thus giving Lopez the knockout victory. Bam Bam Promotion put on the event, called Thursday Night Fights. Defense leads Smithson Valley over Taft By David Rupkalvis Sports Editor REBECCA 8. ROGERS/Herald-Zeitung Smithson Valley defenders Ray Corona (8), Daniel Velasquez (42) and Joe Pawelek (41) bring a Taft runner down during the first half Friday. With Smithson Valley’s usually potent, offense struggling, the defense came to the rescue Friday to lead the Rangers to a 24-14 victory over the Taft Raiders in opening round of the playoffs. Staked to a 17-14 lead early in the third quarter, the Smithson Valley defense took over. Over the final 18 minutes of the game, die Rangers allowed Taft just four first downs and forced four turnovers to lead the Rangers to the second round of the Class 5A Division II playoffs. Smithson Valley Will face Clemens, a 28-6 winner over San Marcos, at 4 p.m.* Saturday at the Alamodome. “The defense played outstanding,” Smithson Valley Coach Larry Hill said. “They (Taft) made a couple of big plays, but we came up big. Our defense played well against a great offensive team.” Midway through the first quarter, the Rangers scored first when Alan Hill hit Rowdy Francis with a 29-yard touchdown pass. On the play, Francis carried two ’ Taft defenders the final five yards into the endzone. The lead lasted just seconds as Taft fired back on its next offensive snap when Alfred Carmona connected with Steven Williams on a fade pass. The pass and run covered 80 yards for a score. The big played pumped up the Raiders and deflated the Rangers. After a Smithson Valley punt, Taft drove down the field, covering 80 yards in just five plays to take a 14-7 lead one play into the second quarter. After a slow start in the second quarter, Rangers’ offense came to life. Facing third down and IO at the 4-yard line, Hill connected with Francis for 29 yards. Several plays later, Hill hit Francis with an 18- yard pass on third and 12. Hill then connected with Jay Wamke on a 41-yard pass to the 11-yard line and Lance Fuller carried the ball to the one. Hill capped the 9-play, 96-yard drive with a one-yard sneak to tie the score at the half. A defensive stop early in the third quarter gave the Smithson Valley offense the ball at the Taft 31. Although the offense picked up just one first down, it was enough to set up a 38-yard field goal by David Sweet. The kick gave the Rangers a 17-14 lead. Then the defense took over. Over the next sue Taft drives, the Rangers allowed four first downs and forced four turnovers and two punts. The Rangers had several chances to put the game away, but the offense was unable to score. Midway through the fourth quarter, the Rangers had four snaps inside the Taft 3-yard line, but could not break through. After Shakotah Knowlton’s second interception of the game, Fuller finally iced the win with a 20-yard touchdown run with 1:37 left. Knowlton hammered the final nail with his third pick with just seconds left. Making the big interceptions was a measure of redemption for Knowlton after he gave up two big plays, including the long touchdown, in the first quarter. "We’ve been ready for that kind of game since state last year. We knew what we had to do,” Knowlton said. ‘Tm just happy that I could come back for my coaches and my teammates.” ;