New Braunfels Herald Zeitung Newspaper Archives

- Page 1

Issue Date:
Pages Available: 28

About New Braunfels Herald Zeitung

  • Publication Name: New Braunfels Herald Zeitung
  • Location: New Braunfels, Texas
  • Pages Available: 250,382
  • Years Available: 1952 - 2013
Learn More About This Publication


  • 2.17+ Billion Articles and Growing Everyday!
  • More Than 400 Years of Papers. From 1607 to Today!
  • Articles Covering 50 U.S.States + 22 Other Countries
  • Powerful, Time Saving Search Features!
Find Your Ancestors Now

View Sample Pages : New Braunfels Herald Zeitung, November 01, 1984

Get Access to These Newspapers Plus 2.17+ Billion Other Articles

OCR Text

New Braunfels Herald Zeitung (Newspaper) - November 1, 1984, New Braunfels, Texas 410 MOS-MICROPLEX MITCH WOM&l P.O. BOX 4' DALLASi TX 1/22/8* J 4 ;>6 7524' Woodlands faces final deadline as foreclosure sale planned By ROBERT JOHNSON Editor I wo foreclosure sales of The Woodlands Country Club at Canyon Lake have been postponed, but that won t be the case with the third. That was the word from John Steen, substitute trustee for Commerce Savings Association, which holds the Woodlands mortgage. Loc ated off PM 2673 near Startzville. the Woodlands is in default of a $3.5 million loan on the project. "If we can't work out,something definite by Nov. 6. we’ll go through with the sale,” Steen said Tuesday. The third foreclosure sale is to be held some time between 2 and 4 p.m. Tuesday at the Courthouse. All assets and accounts receivable of The Woodlands Coif Club, Inc., will be sold. Property involved includes the country club and Wallagher Properties, owned by Jerry Walker and George Gallagher “We feel like we’re getting closer to working something out,” Steen said this morning. "Hut we’re at the point where we’ve got to have something definite, like a signed agreement. See WOODLANDS, Page 12 A 3 survive Halloween crash By DEBBIE DeLOACH Staff writer Four persons had the scare of their lives Halloween night when their twin-engine aircraft crash-landed near Northcliffe subdivision south of New Braunfels, but no one was injured. A Department of Public Safety spokeswoman in Seguin said the pilot. Woodruff B Halsey of San Antonio. notified the San Antonio International Airport of an in-flight emergency around IO p.m. Wednesday. The right engine of his blue 1958 Beacht raft Baron had failed, and the spokeswoman said seconds later, the left engine went out, too. "At 10:09 p.m., radar contact with the aircraft was lost, and at 10.11 p m the pilot crash-landed the plane in an open field a half-mile west >f North* liffe, she added. The subdivision is located off HI 35 right miles south of New Braunfels. There were three passengers inside the twin-engine pjane _ James K Thompson of San \ritonio. and Gary E. and Geanne FL Douglas The DPS spokeswoman said there were no injuries related to the crash-landing "They w ere just a bunch of lucky people on a Halloween night she added Volleyball playoffs Unicorns vs. West Campus Blossom Athletic Conte* 7pm Cougarettes v. Pearsall Judson High School 7 p rn Rangerettes v. Medina Valley Bandera High Sc hool, 7 30 p rn New Braunfels New Braunfels. Texas Thursday November 1 1984 25 Cents 28 Pages 3 Sections Riots kill 50 in India NEW DELHI, India (API Vengeance-seeking Hindus set fires and tn-at up Sikhs across northern India today, venting their fury over the assassination of Indira Gandhi by two .if her Sikh guards At least 50 people reportedly were killed and hundreds injured nationw ide. Authorities ordered a 24-hour curfew in New Delhi and la other (tues Police rn some places were givet, shoot-to-kill orders against the mobs and troop*, were summoned to the capital from neighboring states The United News of India said more than Mi people were killed nationwide Hospital sources in New lX*lhi told polo e more titan 50 jieopie wtr» killed and 600 injured in the i apilai alone The only government casualty estimate came from Home Secretary \! M K VV db, who told reporters nine people had been confirmed killed throughout India Despite pleas tor calm from Mrs Gandhi's son and successor. Rajiv Gandhi, the estimated crowd of HOO.OOO mourners filing past the flag dra|>ed bod\ of the slam prime minister in New Delhi became so unruly pollee threw tear gas lo restore order Mrs Gandhi died Wednesday after beltie shirt by two of her guards, authorities have said The United The mobs burned Sikh-owned businesses, ears and buses, and beat Sikh men they found in the open. News of India said she was shot 22 times Police in Punjab state arrested relatives and friends of the two Sikh guards. United News of India reported One of the accused guards, constable Sal* ant Singh. was killed by other security men. and the second, sub-inspcctor Beant Singh, was wounded, authorities have said A third guard, who did not fire was arrested He has not been identified. The baiklash in cities with Sikh populations was part of a surge of rioting, arson and looting by mobs of Hindus seeking revenge for the killing of the 66-year-old Mrs. Gandhi The mobs burned Sikh-owned businesses, cars and buses, and beat Sikh men they found in the open. There was a two-hour exchange of Sect. WDIII. Page 12A Inside Scarey Boom Water Watch Today s Weather It will be cloudy to partU cloudy with a 40 percent chance of ram today. increasing to a 60 percent chance tonight Expect much cooler weather tonight and tomorrow with winds from IO to 15 mph Today’s high will be about 85. tonight s low about 55, and tomorrow’s high. 65 Yesterday’s high was 85 and this morning’s low was TI The sun will set today at 5:45 p m. and rise tomorrow at 6:45 a.rn. Celtic Rally The Boston Celtics received their rings for last season's NBA championship before last night’s game and then arent out and played like champions Sports Page 9A The Sandinista government says a I S spy p.ain flew taer Nicaragua, causing son a booms that panicked people who thought they were being bombed In Washington, the Pentagon denied Hie claim. A Defense Ministry communique from tilt* leftist government in Managua said the alleged incident Wednesday substantiated a long-voiced Sandinista claim that I S military forces are planning to invade Nicaragua if President Reagan i** reelected next week See Page 5A CLASSIFIED COMICS CROSSWORD DEAR ABBY DEATHS HOROSCOPE KALEIDOSCOPE OPINIONS SCRAPBOOK SPORTS STOCKS WEATHER 5 7B IC 3C IB 4A 3C I 8B 4B 2B 8 TOA 12A 2A City gives 'grace period' on vent-a-hoods By DANA STEL I Staff writer of the ventilation devices that the Wurstfest food booths will for this year. but food ers will have to comply with fire codes before the next year, as long as they have that resembles a com-vent-a*hood,” said fire marshal Elroy Fnesenhahn, "Then, we’ll let them get by. "But, next year, they will have to comply with local and state fire codes.” Friesenhahn, who became fire marshal in 1982, said he discovered the lack of proper ventilation during his inspections last year He said he told the non-profit groups selling food at Wurstfest and the county fair they would have three years to comply with the fire codes "That was the beginning of it,” Friesenhahn said "This is not something that I started this year, it’s just coming to a head now .” The non-profit groups at first were concerned about the cost of providing the expensive vent-a-hoods "We i the building, health and fire department) had meetings with the representatives of the clubs and booths and the general concensus once we communicated,-Friesenhahn said, "was that they understood what we are try ing to do and we understood what they are trying to do,” Friesenhahn said that because the groups are non-profit and the food preparation is only temporary , he was justified in giving them time to acquire the hoods "lf this were a See HOODS, Page 12 A Absentee balloting ends Friday afternoon Absentee voting for Tuesday’s general election ends Friday, but mail-in ballots still will be accepted until the polls close Tuesday night at 7 p.m. Abs idee voting in person can tx done from 8 to 5 p.m. in room 106 of the County Courthouse. "People who live out of the county bul are registered here, such a people iii the military or away a college, I lad to request a mial-i ballot,” said county clerk Kosi Bosenbury "tithers who coul request a mad-m ballot are peopler over Od, anyone confined iii jail any one w ith a phy steal disability ’ 1Floren, Wurst Navy to open annual festival Myron Floren will open Wurstfest Fridav afternoon with his own brand of actor chan music on the banks of the Comal River The festivities begin at 5 30 when the Vturst Navy floats down tile Comal to tin Wurstfest grounds at luanda Park Floren, who has ap-peared at the last 16 WurstfestS, will perform and Der Grosse Opa Jack Ohlrich and Miss liverwurst Uune Oberkampf Will bite a string of sausages Later in tile evening, the Cloverleaf Orchestra will play ut Wursthalle, and dancers and bands will perform in Das Grosse /elf and Das Kleine Zelt The Old Time Melodrama begins at 8 p rn in the Circle Arts Cheater VS lu stiest actu dies actually begin at lo a rn Friday, when the annual Heritage Exhibit opens in the t ivic Center Guided tours of First Protestant Church. Lindheimer Home, and Baetge House also begin at that tune as do the Sophienburg Memorial Museum’s antique handwork display and the Wurstfest Art Show at Elks’ I Awlge Admission to Wurstfest grounds is $3 in advance and $4 at the gate Children under 12 get in free. it M a KHllWAiQl tit RAi D 71 Grey Cerrato (left) and Bill Campbell string up wurst for the sausage making portion of the Heritage Exhibit 'hese washed up, cooled off and    this Hickory Avenue residence after a    viting trick or treaters    jr Halloween Kirned out pumpkins wait for the    bright but all too brief career of in    night Wednesdav larbage truck this morning in front of ;