New Braunfels Herald Zeitung Newspaper Archives

- Page 5

Issue Date:
Pages Available: 12
Previous Edition:

About New Braunfels Herald Zeitung

  • Publication Name: New Braunfels Herald Zeitung
  • Location: New Braunfels, Texas
  • Pages Available: 250,382
  • Years Available: 1952 - 2013
Learn More About This Publication


  • 2.17+ Billion Articles and Growing Everyday!
  • More Than 400 Years of Papers. From 1607 to Today!
  • Articles Covering 50 U.S.States + 22 Other Countries
  • Powerful, Time Saving Search Features!
Find Your Ancestors Now

View Sample Pages : New Braunfels Herald Zeitung, May 03, 2011

Get Access to These Newspapers Plus 2.17+ Billion Other Articles

OCR Text

New Braunfels Herald Zeitung (Newspaper) - May 3, 2011, New Braunfels, Texas TXiesday, May 3, 2011 — Herald-Zeitung — Page 5 New Chair Yoga Class MacjwGa, ßiossöm 'Pendant S'tfengtfv and grace— A favorite sight throughout the South, the magnolia flower is the inspiration for this pendant. The graceful design features sterling silver petals highlighted by a 14K gold center. To see this or other designs for Mother^ Day please visit us at; * v.v) San Marcos outlet malls 3941 South 1-35 Next to Saks Off 5th . j ■ 512.353.0037 * * X y ■:smm James Av Ü« „ IfÊÈBË    ,    ¿ iJraü M ..... \\ c . 1'V \    ■    Irr,)in ' )< <■;>/ (15 U)) i\ 57-«Í2ÍW, • IwoKiM'isVi-AHdMii 1 502 C.i uctH1 I .ik(.■ I )nV (* Suilo A • New Br.uinUTs, loxnx*, ; t n 11 i. f,. í 11. mi i,, k. \.!; .1'    .    ’ STREETS CONTINUED FROM Page 1 special operations forces killed Osama bin Laden in Pakistan. A parking space, almost magically, opened up about three blocks from the White House. The sidewalks were full of celebration, like a nighttime July Fourth celebration, with Old Glory being waved in every direction. Soon hundreds turned into thousands. In Lafayette Park, the Andrew Jackson statue became a perch for a handful of boys and athletic young men who could hop over the wrought-iron fence. The trees became bleachers as people climbed to see over the growing crowd of cheering Americans. A shirtless young man, holding a long flag from his teeth, shimmied up a lamp pole to the encouragement of onlookers. He climbed on top of the cross arm of the lamp and stood up, waving Old Glory back and worth in a long, slow circle-eight that caused many to cheer even louder. Someone started singing the National Anthem and soon others joined, some shouting the words with a passion that made it difficult to choke back the tears. Many, though, stood silent- •y- Were they wondering whether this was a tribute to the fact that justice, and to some, vengeance, had finally been rendered? Were they thinking of friends or relatives lost or maimed? The bright lights of news cameras would illuminate parts of the crowd for a few moments and then go dark, and then reappear in another part of the celebration while hundreds if not thousands of cell phones, held high above heads, created a 21st century version of lighters flickering at a rock concert. Americans were literally dancing in the streets. No one seemed to feel they were surrounded by strangers. Americans who had never met before were slapping "high fives," smiling. They were mostly young, but their faces were a tapestry of colors that defines today's America. No matter what color, or age, the differences seemed too insignificant to consider. One observer, almost giddy in his appreciation of the moment, yelled out to no one in particular, "I LOVE BIPARTISANSHIP!" One American had written on the back of a pizza box and held it above his head: "Obama 1, Osama 0.” As one weaved and worked their way toward the wrought iron fence that surrounded the White House grounds, men dressed in black could be seen on the rooftop of the White House, moving stealthily among the shadows, peering into the crowd. District of Columbia police officers kept their distance, smiling, sometimes shaking hands with the citizens who had come to celebrate. Tonight would not turn into a riot. This spontaneous gathering of citizens was not a protest; it was a celebration of our country. As one woman said, "Somehow, the White House seems bigger tonight." Jk NOW ENROLLING • Fully accredited 4 star school . Certified Teachers • Summer/Fall Hands on learning • Voted Best Pre-school 2 yrs. in a row by Reader's Choice (830)620-5453 2797* IH 35 South [MOTHER’S DAYJ IS SUNDAY!! pancing Fashion Boutique Downtown New Braunfels Mon-Sat 10-6 • Sun 12-51 Breathe, stretch, move, and relieve stress while safely supported. Effective strengthening and stretching for those suffering from: • Arthritis • Chronic Pain • Injuries • Lack of Mobility Expert instruction and small class sizes. Special drop-in rate: $12/class Thursdays at 11 am two rivers YOGA You are invited to come in this week and meet Lamar Suttles, factory certified hearing aid repair technician and hearing aid specialist. Come in and have your hearing checked at no charge, or bring in your old hearing aids and let us see if we can repair them, free of charge (parts available)! Call for your appointment 1324 Common St., Suite 303 (behind Lus Cucos Restaurant) 830-515-4416 1-877-55-SOUND ►IN TEXAS Bush supporters celebrate Osama bin Laden s death DALLAS (AP) — With President Barack Obama's announcement that a U.S.-led mission had killed Osama bin leaden, a small group ofTexans gathered to celebrate outside President George W. Bush’s Dallas home, leaving behind American flags and patriotic, red, white and blue balloons. Meanwhile in Central Texas, the news had a special poignancy for Georgetown resident Will Chapman, whose son was the first U.S. serviceman killed by enemy fire in the Afghanistan war. "I don't want to use the words it avenges his death. But it's always been a concern of mine that he not die in vain," Chapman told The Associated Press by telephone Monday. "And this right here is a major step so that doesn't happen. We now have the person who is most responsible." Sgt. 1st Class Nathan Ross Chapman. 31, of San Antonio, died in January 2002 after being ambushed following a meeting with several Afghan tribal leaders. About a dozen people gathered near Bush's high-security home until a thunderstorm started about midnight Sunday. On Monday morning, a sign on the gate read in small letters, "President Obama forgot to say ..." then continued in letters big enough to be read from the road, "Thank you President Bush." "George Bush did so many great things for our country. We really wanted to be with him to celebrate this momentous day in American history," college student Billy Fox told WFAA-TV OBAMA CONTINUED FROM Page 1 a daring raid on Monday, capping the world's most intense manhunt, a search that spanned nearly a decade. Bin Laden was shot in the head during a firefight and then quickly buried at sea. White House officials were mulling the merits and appropriateness of releasing a photo. As spontaneous celebrations and expressions of relief gave way to questions about precisely what happened and what comes next, U.S. officials warned that the campaign against terrorism is not nearly over — and that the threat of deadly retaliation against the United States and its allies was real. Senior administration officials said the DNA testing alone offered near 100 percent certainty that bin Laden was among those shot dead. Photo analysis by the CIA, confirmation by a woman believed to be bin Laden's wife on site, and matching physical features like bin Laden's height all helped confirmed the identification. "We can all agree this is a good day for America," a subdued Obama said dur ing a Medal of Honor ceremony in the glimmering White House East Room. Still, it was unclear if the world would ever get visual proof. Senior U.S. officials said bin Laden was killed toward the end of the firefight, which took place in a building at a compound north of Islamabad, the Pakistani capital. His body was put aboard the USS Carl Vinson and placed into the North Arabian Sea. An official familiar with the operation said bin Laden fired on U.S. forces and was hit by a barrage of carefully aimed return fire. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because aspects of the operation remain classified. The official says two dozen SEALs in night-vision goggles dropped into the high-walled compound in Pakistan by sliding down ropes from Chinook helicopters in the overnight raid. The SEALs retrieved bin Laden's body and turned the remaining detainees over to Pakistani authorities. Traditional Islamic procedures for handling the remains were followed, the officials said, including washing the corpse, placing it in a white sheet. One unwary phone call took U.S. to bin Laden WASHINGTON (AP) — When one of Osama bin Laden's most trusted aides picked up the phone last year, he unknowingly led U.S. pursuers to the doorstep of his boss, the world's most wanted terrorist. That phone call, recounted Monday by U.S. official, ended a years-long search for bin Laden’s personal courier, the key break in a worldwide manhunt. The courier, in turn, led U.S. intelligence to a walled compound in northeast Pakistan, where a team of Navy SEALS shot bin Laden to death. The violent final minutes were the culmination of years of intelligence work. Inside the CIA team hunting bin Laden, it always was clear that bin laden's vulnerability was his couriers. He was too smart to let al-Qaida foot soldiers, or even his senior commanders, know his hideout. But if he wanted to get his messages out, somebody had to carry them, someone bin Laden trusted with his life. In a secret CIA prison in Eastern Europe years ago, al-Qaida's No. 3 leader, Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, gave authorities the nicknames of several of bin Aden's couriers, four former U.S. intelligence officials said. Those names were among thousands of leads the CIA was pursuing. One man became a particular interest for the agency when another detainee, Abu Faraj al-Ubi, told interrogators that when he was promoted to succeed Mohammed as al-Qaida's operational leader he received the word through a courier. Only bin Laden would have given al-Libi that promotion, CIA officials believed. If they could find that courier, they'd find bin Laden. The revelation that intelligence gleaned from the CIA's so-called black sites helped kill bin Laden was seen as vindication for many intelligence officials who have been repeatedly investigated and criticized for their involvement in a program that involved the harshest interrogation methods in U.S. history. "We got beat up for it, but those efforts led to this great day," said Marty Martin, a retired CIA officer who for years led the hunt for bin Laden. It took years of work for intelligence agencies to identify the courier’s real name, which officials are not disclosing. When they did identify him, he was nowhere to be found. The CIA's sources didn't know where he was hiding. Bin Laden was famously insistent that no phones or computers be used near him, so the eavesdroppers at the National Security Agency kept coming up cold. Then in the middle of last year, the courier had a telephone conversation with someone who was being monitored by U.S. intelligence, according to an American official, who like others interviewed for this story spoke only on condition of anonymity to discuss the sensitive operation. The courier was located somewhere away from bin Laden's hideout when he had the discussion, but it was enough to help intelligence officials locate and watch him. Free Hearing Aid Repairs This Week Teacher shaves for first time since Sept. 11 EPHRATA, Wash. (AP) — A middle school teacher vowed after the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11,2001, that he would not shave his beard until Osama bin Laden was caught. Gary Weddle kept hi s word Sunday evening. "I spent my first five minutes crying and then I couldn't get it off fast enough," Weddle, 50, told The Wenatchee (Wash.) World. Weddle, who lives in East Wenatchee and teaches in Ephrata, wanted to cut his beard for years. The gray stringy growth actually made him look a bit like bin Laden, the mastermind of the 9/11 attacks who was killed by U.S. forces. Weddle was a substitute teacher in Wenatchee when the terrorist attacks occurred on the World Trade Center and Pentagon, killing some 3,000 people. Weddle said he was so absorbed in the news that he neglected to shave. A week or so later, he decided not to shave until bin Laden was captured or proven dead. He figured it would just be a month or two. At the start of each school year, Weddle told students the beard was a reminder of the attacks. ;