New Braunfels Herald Zeitung (Newspaper) - May 3, 2001, New Braunfels, Texas
BEST AVAILABLE COPYNew Braunfels
THURSDAY May 3, 2001
14 pages in 2 sections
"W* """’’HHT 14 pages in 2 seemHerald-Zeitung
Vol. 150, No. 148Serving New Braunfels and Comal County since 1852
Saturday’s polling places are:
• New Braunfels District Two: Memorial Elementary, 1900 S. Walnut Ave.
• Bulverde city: Bulverde City Hall, 30070 U.S. 281 North, Suite 236.
• Comal ISD: Bulverde Elementary School, 1715 E. Ammann Road and Bexar-Bulverde Fire Station, 1126 E. Borgfield Road, Bulverde.
• Bulverde Library District race: Bulverde/Spring Branch Library
• Canyon Lake Community Rural Library District race: Tye Preston Memorial Library.
Early voting turnout light for Saturday elections
By Amy Clarkson Staff Writer
Few people took advantage of the three-week long period available to cast votes early in Comal County elections, organizers said.
The early voting period for all races ended Tuesday. The elections will take place on Saturday.
In New Braunfels’ District 2 City Council race, the only race in the city, 489 people voted at the polling place and nine sent in mailed ballots. Incumbent Larry Alexander is facing political newcomer Walter
. Sears in the elec-
tion. More than 5,800 people are rn rn registered to vote
JWF w in District 2.
' Municipal elections also are tak-mg place in Bul-verde,
ers will choose a ALEXANDER marshal and two aldermen. Election officials say that 32 voters cast ballots early. Rick Gravens, Charles Baetz and Warren Alston are running for the two aldermen’s seats.
William Utter-back and Keith C. McClinchie are the two candidates for Bulverde marshal. McClinchie is the appointed marshal. No one ran in the previous election for marshal, so city aldermen appointed him.
Only 46 people voted early for candidates in the Comal Independent School District race for Dis-
trict 6. Charles Burt and Doug Nail are running for that position. Neither man is currently on the school board; however, Nail previously served as CISD trustee for another single-member district.
In the Bulverde Library District, 30 people voted. Two seats are up for election in the library district and three people are running^— Molly Martin, Phillip Tomason abd Malcolm U. McClinchie.
In Canyon Lake Community Rural Library District, two seats are available. Burnham Jones and Norma Reed are seeking the offices.
Kuempel bill targets racetrack noise levels
By Martin Malacara
MARION — State representatives want to make living in the country quieter.
Several bills filed this legislative session would lower the state’s threshold for unreasonable noise in unincorporated areas.
House Bill 126, drafted by state Rep. George “Buddy” West, R-Odessa, would decrease the state standard from 85 decibels to 55 decibels.
A decibel is a unit of intensity of sound.
At 85 decibels, the human ear begins to suffer damage. The 55-decibel range is lower than a normal conversation.
A related bill, House Bill 581, drafted by state Rep. Edmund Kuempel, R-Seguin, would increase the penalty for exceeding acceptable noise levels from a Class C misdemeanor to a Class B misdemeanor for repeat offenders.
A Class B misdemeanor is punishable by a $2,000 fine or 180 days in jail or both.
“It’s to make sure everybody has good quality of life,” Kuempel said.
Kuempel said he hoped the bill made it to the House floor sometime next week for consideration.
If passed, the bills could bring relief to the ears of Marion residents who live near River City Raceway.
Residents have said the drag-racing strip, off Santa Clara Road, has encroached on their quality of life and reduced their property values.
“Something needs to be done so people can enjoy their property,” Felix Heusinger said.
Heusinger is a member of the Citizens of Marion Working for a Healthy Environment.
The group has opposed the racetrack since its inception in 1998.
River City Raceway own-er-promoter Todd Zampese said, “I think it’ll be hard pressed to get (Kuempel’s) legislation passed.”
He questions how authorities will enforce the law if it’s passed.
“It’ll be real interesting. You’ll have a lot of lawyers fighting stuff,” he said.
The racetrack and the citizen’s group have sued each other since 1999.
Future contact with Chinese military under Pentagon review
K. JESSIE SLATEN/Herald-Zeitung
Greene Hall bartender Mario Mateos holds some of the hottest tickets in town Wednesday morning — tickets for Willie Nelson’s June 5 performance at Gruene Hall. The tickets went on sale Wednesday. Although a few tickets were sold at Gruene Hall, most people were buying them online Wednesday, concert organizers reported.
By Robert Burns
AP Military Writer
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Pentagon said Wednesday that future contacts with the Chinese military are under review, but it withdrew a directive from Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld to suspend all contacts.
Rear Adm. Craig Quigley told reporters that the Rumsfeld aide who wrote the memo had “misinterpreted the secretary’s intentions” by declaring a suspension of mihtary-to-military relations.
“His actual intention is for all elements of the military-to-military program to be reviewed and approved on a case by case basis by the Department of Defense,” Quigley said several hours after the memo was leaked to reporters.
He said Rumsfeld had not seen the memo before it was sent to the military service secretaries, the office of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and senior civilian officials in the
Pentagon. The memo said Rumsfeld was directing “the suspension of all Department of Defense programs, contacts and activities with the People’s Republic of China until further notice.” Several officials told reporters that the order took effect Monday, the day it was distributed inside the Pentagon. Later, Quigley said that a corrected version would be sent to make clear that military-to- military ties were not suspended.
The confusion over the future of U.S.-Chinese military relations became public on the day that a team of U.S. civilian defense contractors arrived in China to assess what would be required to return the Navy surveillance plane that made an emergency landing at a military airfield on Hainan island on April I after colliding with a Chinese fighter jet. The tech-nicians spent about four hours aboard the Navy plane on Wednesday to begin their assessment.
Golf course developers mull options
By Martin Malacara
Golf course developers are uncertain about the future of their project outside of Bulverde.
On April 25, the Southeast Trinity Groundwater Conservation District denied permission for Cibolo Cliffs Golf Course developers to complete irrigation wells drilled into the Trinity Aquifer.
The district denied the permit because it believed the public needed time to get more information about the golf course group’s intentions.
David Ogrin, golf course designer and manager, said he was not surprised at the groundwater district’s decision, but he was disappointed.
“None of us slept good Wednesday night,”
“They’ve (the water district)
started down a legal path they
couldn’t follow. Theres some
opinion they broke the law. ”
— David Ogrin golf course designer/manager
The district’s rules have no provisions for an appeals process when an application is denied.
Ogrin said he and other golf course officials would meet this week to discuss their options.
See GOLF COURSE/3A
K. JESSIE SLATEN/Herald-Zeitung
New Braunfels police officers learn the art of tossing a throw bag to a drowning victim Wednesday afternoon on the Guadalupe River. Officers will carry the lifelines in their patrol cars for the first time this year.
Key Code 76
Mom: Hospital pictures of daughter look ‘pornographic’
By Amy Clarkson Staff Writer
Looking at pictures of the little girls emaciated frame — the open wounds, the bones in her ribs and spinal cord showing clearly through her skin, her tiny arms and legs — disturbed Yevette Heiser.
She was not upset about the way the girl looked. She was upset for another reason.
“I thought they looked pornographic,” Heiser said during cross-examination in district court, where she is on tri
al for allegedly injuring and endangering her adopted daughter. “Naked pictures of my little girl? I thought that was pornographic. Who would take such pictures?”
The Child Protective Services social workers, replied the prosecutor, people who wanted to document her condition when the then-7-year-old girl was admitted to the hospital and diagnosed as suffering from severe malnutrition.
Yevette and her husband, Joseph, are on trial for charges of allegedly injuring and endangering their daughter by nearly starving her to death and failing
to provide her with proper medical care. The girl is Joseph Heiser’s daughter from a previous marriage and Yevette Heiser’s adopted daughter.
Their trial was moved to New Braunfels from Williamson County because of pre-trial publicity. The couple could spend the rest of their lives in prison if convicted in the trial before District 26 Judge Billy Ray Stubblefield.
Yevette Heiser, who has been testifying for the past several days, faced cross-examination by prosecutor Jane Starnes Wednesday morning.