New Braunfels Herald Zeitung Newspaper Archives

- Page 4

Issue Date:
Pages Available: 12

About New Braunfels Herald Zeitung

  • Publication Name: New Braunfels Herald Zeitung
  • Location: New Braunfels, Texas
  • Pages Available: 250,382
  • Years Available: 1952 - 2013
Learn More About This Publication


  • 2.17+ Billion Articles and Growing Everyday!
  • More Than 400 Years of Papers. From 1607 to Today!
  • Articles Covering 50 U.S.States + 22 Other Countries
  • Powerful, Time Saving Search Features!
Find Your Ancestors Now

View Sample Pages : New Braunfels Herald Zeitung, May 01, 2001

Get Access to These Newspapers Plus 2.17+ Billion Other Articles

OCR Text

New Braunfels Herald Zeitung (Newspaper) - May 1, 2001, New Braunfels, Texas Page 4A — HERALD-ZEITUNG — Tuesday, May I, 2001 Dispatch — ► Vehicle buiglaiy A 21-year-old woman reported to New Braunfels police that her car was burglarized. The burglary happened between 5 p.m. and ll p.m. Friday in the 300 block of West San Antonio Street. Police officials said the theft caused $200 worth of damage to the woman’s 1992 Acura. A compact disc player worth $350 was taken from the vehicle. ► Beer theft Two men stole four 12-packs of beer Sunday from a store in the 3200 block of Interstate 35 South, police reports said. At 4 a.m., the two 19- to 20-year-olds entered the store, picked up the beer and did not pay for it. Witnesses reported the suspects drove away in a 1992 red Mazda. The beer was valued at $37. ► Assault arrests A 31-year-old woman and a 46-year old man were arrested Sunday on assault charges. The incident occurred around ll p.m. in the 1500 block of Business 35 North. Police officials said the incident started out as a dispute between the couple and then turned into a physical dispute. The couple’s 5-year-old daughter was placed in the custody of a family member. Electric Work- A number of New Braunfels Utilities customers in the area of North Castell Avenue and West San Antonio Street will experience an interruption in electric service today as NBU crews install a new transformer at that location. NBU employees have notified customers who will be affected by the temporary interruption in electric service between 7 a.m. and 12 p.m. today because of this work. The outage will affect a small number of businesses along North Castell and West San Antonio. Area drivers should be aware that the traffic light at that intersection also will be out of service while the work is being performed. Drivers wanting to avoid delays are advised to seek an alternate route. NBU crews will be working to complete the project as quickly as possible and minimize any inconvenience to area residents. Please direct questions about the work to the NBU Electric Department at 620-5682. Meetings — NEW BRAUNFELS COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT ADVISORY COMMITTEE — regular meeting, 6 p.m. today, Municipal Building, Conference Room A/B, 424 S. Castell Ave. NEW BRAUNFELS PLANNING COMMISSION — regular meeting, 6:30 p.m. today, New Braunfels Municipal Building Council Chambers, 424 S. Castell Ave. NEW BRAUNFELS COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT ADVISORY COMMITTEE — regular meeting, 6 p.m., today, Municipal Building, conference room A. CITY OF NEW BRAUNFELS ARTS COMMISSION — regular meeting, 7 p.m. Thursday, Municipal Building. COMAL COUNTY COMMISSIONERS’ COURT — regular meeting, 8:15 a.m. Thursday, Commissioners’ Courtroom, third floor, Comal County Courthouse Annex, 150 N. Seguin Ave.Local/State Contact Managing Editor Margaret Edmonson at 625-9144 ext. 220. Activity center dedication CHRIS PACE/Herald-Zeitung People gather around a model of the proposed interior floor plan for the new activity center at the Children’s Shelter in New Braunfels. The activity center was dedicated Monday. Man, 19, charged in fatal wreck From Staff Reports A 19-year-old Pleasanton man was arrested Friday on a grand jury indictment alleging intoxicated manslaughter with a vehicle in connection with a fatal wreck in November. Robert H. Littlefield, formerly of San Antonio and now a Pleasanton resident, was placed in the Comal County Jail, where he is being held on $75,000 bail. The indictment, handed down in April, alleges that Littlefield was under the influence of alcohol and mar- Vietnamese refugees desperate before fall By Ex-Marine Lance Corporal Jimmy Sanchez Special to the Herald-Zeitung (Editors Note: This is the second part in a series that will last several days commemorating the 26th anniversary of the fall of Saigon, which ended America’s involvement in the Vietnam War. The author helped in the evacuation of Saigon in the days before the city fell.) My sergeant dropped me off at a tennis court to stand guard. “There are 200 refugees inside the tennis court,” he said. “Your orders are to stand guard at the entrance and let no one out.” I got off the jeep, and he drove away. As I was walking toward the entrance, someone started shooting. I dropped to the ground and stayed down until the shooting stopped. I got up and walked to the entrance. The entrance was wide enough for one person to go in at a time. As I stood there, about an hour later, an F-16 and a reconnaissance plane flew by very low and slow. They passed over us and did a full circle. Then the South Vietnamese soldiers shot them both down with their M-16 rifles. I heard two big thumps as they crashed on the ground. The soldiers started jumping up and down with their M-16s in the air. They were two blocks away from where I was. They were standing on top of a roof. Those two planes were captured when the North Vietnamese army overran the city of Xuan Loc. The South Vietnamese pilots left them there as Xuan Loc fell. The last one to fall was Saigon. A few minutes, later when the F-16 and reconnaissance planes were shot down, a tank fired a 90mm round, and it hit about 20 yards away from the tennis court. The refugees that were sitting way in the back stood up and started to stampede toward the entrance. I pointed my M-16 at them and shouted at them to sit down. When they realized that I was not going to move away from the entrance, they calmed down and went back to their place. I marveled at what I saw next. The 200 refugees went into a fetal position, and I wondered why they had done that. Then I realized that these people have lived with war for almost 20 years. They knew that the next 90mm round was going to hit right where we were. Thank God, that round never came. About 15 minutes later, they came out of the fetal position and sat down again. That evening my sergeant drove up and said, “Get in. They are on their own now. Everything is done.” I'll never know what he meant by that. He drove back to the command post. I went inside, sat down on my cot and ate. Then my friends and I talked about what each of us had been through that day. The next day my sergeant dropped me off at the back entrance, and I stood guard. After a while I heard some gunshots, then screams. Later, someone walked by the entrance outside the compound. I stopped him and asked him about all the shooting out there. He said that people were shooting themselves, believing that they would be evacuated to America if they shot themselves. At the same time, the embassy compound was being bombarded with rock ets and mortars. Every few minutes a rocket or mortar would hit. It continued for about an hour, then stopped. A few hours later, my sergeant drove up and left another Marine there to stand guard and told me to get in. “I’m taking you to a building where the refugees are being processed,” he said. “Stand guard there and make sure no one breaks line and keep the line going steady.” There were two buildings, and in the middle of the two buildings on the second floor was an open walkway with rails on the sides. Officials were processing the refugees in the building to my left on the second floor. I walked up the stairs. When I reached the walkway, I lboked to the other side and saw a chain link fence about nine feet high. On the other side were the fence barracks for the South Vietnamese army, and about 50 soldiers stood by the fence. When they saw me, they started yelling at me and shaking their fists at me. They looked Uke they did not care anymore. All they had on was just their pants. They knew their time was running out. When the North Vietnamese army arrived, they were all going to be taken prisoners. Then the South Vietnamese soldiers started throwing rocks and sticks over the fence at me and laughing at the same time. I almost got hit a few times. I turned around and kept my eyes on the refugees to make sure they stayed in line. A few minutes later, walking up the stairs was the prostitute I had seen the first night that we were there. She calmly walked by me and toward the door. I quickly rushed over and grabbed her by her arm and was going to escort her back to the stairs and send her to the back of the line. Suddenly the door opened, and people came out. The woman yanked her arm from me and ran into the building. I ran after her but by the time I got to the door, she was already inside. I was not allowed to enter. About 15 minutes later, she walked out and looked at me with a big smile on her face, Uke she was telling me, “I made it. I'm going to America.” I shook my head at her and smiled. I leaned against the rail with my back toward the soldiers, and they started yelling at me again. A few minutes later, I went blank and from my left ear I heard a voice say, “Hey, Sanchez.” ijuana at 12:10 a.m. November 18 when his truck slammed into a compact car driven by Lewis R Sanders Jr., 57, of Canyon Lake. The accident occurred on Farm-to-Market Road 3159, 2.2 miles south of Starkville. Iittlefield’s southbound 1986 Ford pickup crossed the center line of the road and collided with the northbound 1997 Mazda driven by Sanders. Sanders was pronounced dead at the scene. Littlefield was taken to University Hospital in San Antonio, where he was treated for his injuries. of Saigon When I heard it, I woke up, and I was about to go over the rail and fall to the ground. I quickly launched myself forward and stood straight. I turned and looked at the soldiers. They were laughing and pointing their fingers at me. Then I wondered who had called out my last name. A few seconds later, a member of my platoon walked up and said, “Hey, Sanchez, our sergeant sent me here to relieve you from your post. He is down there waiting for you.” ‘Man, be careful and keep your eyes on the soldiers,” I said. If he had not yelled out my last name when he was on the bottom of the stairs, I would have fallen to the ground and probably broken my neck or back. But I knew in my heart that God had sent one of his angels down to protect me. SiZZLe INTO SuMMeR! Make this your season to shine with Weight Watchers new Winning Points! Winning Points uses the revolutionary POINTS* system to help determine the easiest way to lose weight and stay satisfied. So why wait? Sum mer IsJ list around the corned NEW BRAUNFELS Faith United Church of Christ 970 Loop 337 Mon - 6:30 pm Wed - 9:30 am Sat - 11:00 am CANYON LAKE Start: Calc 10)50 Start: Rd. Mon • 5tJ0 pm Check at our centers for details about our maintenance records. Registration and weigh-in begin one-halt hour earlier than the meeting time. Clam Wr.,M Altoun lawmjlMMC tnt. Own* aI Ow WHOM WATCH! SS trnknurii. Al right* wwrwtti. 'Offer VIM la (wrtHWliM ate** wife Int * SHAMI time NM vale for tho At Wark frog urn ai comm undy nweiritgt. 5ARAH.DUCHESS 0?YORK Wright Watchets lifetime Membn MEDICARE & MEDICAID NOW PAYS for Glucose Meters & Supplies for Insulin & Non-Insulin Dependent Diabetic Patients For over two years, Professional Medical, New Braunfels leading Provider for Home Medical Equipment, has had a Diabetic Program that has helped hundreds of Texans obtain equipment and supplies needed for Blood Glucose testing. Medicare & Medicaid, as well as some private insurance companies, will pay for Glucose monitors, test strips, and lancets. FREE DELIVERY TO YOUR HOME! The Leading Provider of Home Health Equipment For More Information About Our Diabetic Program. Please call. Professional Medical 830.608.9577    1.800.880.9748 Please vote for Walter SEARS... ...City Council Candidate District #2... Walter SEARS will bring MATURE LEADERSHIP to the Council to push forward on quality-of-life issues such as: • Curbside green waste pich-up. • A viable time table for accomplishing the much discussed streets and drainage projects. • Personal support of Texas Senate Bill 1772. which can provide designated cities with State Hotel/ Motel tax money for river clean up. • Developing Open Spaces and expand the hike and bike trails program using Gruene Road as the pilot project. Waiter SEARS. “A NEW VOICE ON CITY COUNCIL; A FULL TIME COUNCIL MEMBER” Early Voting April 18-May I. Comal County Courthouse Annex Election Day Is Saturday. May 5th, Memorial Elementary School Paid Pol. Adv.. Walter SEARS Election Campaign. Barbara SEARS. Treasurer. 1444 Devin. New Braunfels. Texas TUSO SANCHEZ ;