New Braunfels Herald Zeitung Newspaper Archives

- Page 8

Issue Date:
Pages Available: 54

About New Braunfels Herald Zeitung

  • Publication Name: New Braunfels Herald Zeitung
  • Location: New Braunfels, Texas
  • Pages Available: 250,382
  • Years Available: 1952 - 2013
Learn More About This Publication


  • 2.17+ Billion Articles and Growing Everyday!
  • More Than 400 Years of Papers. From 1607 to Today!
  • Articles Covering 50 U.S.States + 22 Other Countries
  • Powerful, Time Saving Search Features!
Find Your Ancestors Now

View Sample Pages : New Braunfels Herald Zeitung, July 19, 1985

Get Access to These Newspapers Plus 2.17+ Billion Other Articles

OCR Text

New Braunfels Herald Zeitung (Newspaper) - July 19, 1985, New Braunfels, Texas OodQ®** 3 se»'«s Modo*3 The Si be ti* s ^ur»rtaV ^0 ar0 9"'«o,0k8". rk«f'»tOcK' SV**1 if Tex** \oc8teti ti*' Hlgb^»V option.0 pole o1 d»v*‘°nS stocW an e*pecl* suW**u° ♦.vie ro**s Finally, Bell headed for Cincinnati DETROIT (AP) — Texas Rangers manager Bobby Valentine confirmed reports that third baseman Buddy Bell has been traded to the Cincinnati Reds for outfielder Duane Walker and righthander Jeff Russell, the Dallas Times Herald reported. The newspaper quoted Valentine as saying after Thursday’s 3-2 victory over Detroit that an Associated Press story from Cincinnati confirming the trade was “accurate but not official.” The Rangers and Reds have scheduled news conferences today to formally announce the trade, the Times Herald reported. Valentine’s confirmation ended several days of speculation over when and where Bell was to be traded. On Thursday, anticipation mounted and rumors flew that the trade would be announced before Thursday night's game. Earlier in the day Bell said he flew to Cincinnati and agreed in principle on a contract with the Reds. Reds player-manager Pete Rose evidently thought the trade was completed late Thursday night when he told Walker he was part of a trade for Bell. However, Reds General Manager Bill Bergesch later said the trade wasn’t completed, and he’d have no further comment until noon today. The Rangers also declined comment. “It was probably a little premature,” Bergesch said. “Duane is still a Red at this moment. It’s unfortunate; maybe it will still work out.” Neither Walker nor Bell knew anything about the apparent holdup preventing the 33-year-old third baseman from going to the team his father played for in the 1950s. The Reds reportedly aren’t the only team interested in acquiring Bell. “It’s been up and down and ifs been nobody’s fault,’’ Bell said. “I knew that when I asked for the trade.” Bell didn’t arrive at Tiger Stadium for a game until 4:30 p.m. Thursday, and wasn’t in the Rangers’ starting lineup. He said he had been in Cincinnati, where he agreed in principle on contract terms and figured the trade was solid. “As far as I’m concerned, the contract situation with the Reds was taken care of in 15 minutes this morning,’’ Bell said. “I don’t know what the hangup was. I don’t know what held it up unless it was the players.” Bell reportedly is making $600,000 a year on a contract running through 1987 with an option for 1988. Bergesch spoke with Rangers officials by telephone during the Reds’ 6-3 loss to the Philadelphia Phillies After the game, Rose called Walker into his office for a private talk. “He told me that I was going there and Buddy Bell is coming here,” Walker said. “It’s a good opportunity for me. With the Rangers, ITI get an opportunity to play and see what I can do.” Walker, 28, has been used as a backup outfielder and pinch-hitter. He hit .292 in 83 games last season, but is batting just .167 in 48 plate appearances this year. Rose said he wouldn’t comment on the trade until it’s announced. Several minutes later, Bergesch told reporters the trade hadn’t been completed and that there would be no further announcement until today. “Right now, there is no deal at this moment," Bergesch said. Valentine’s confirmation ended what has been an agonizing process for Bell. “If I ever had to go through that again, I’d kill myself,’’ Bell said. "That’s how difficult it’s been.” Bell is in his 13th major-league season, having split time between the Cleveland Indians and the Rangers. He hit .315 last season with 83 runs batted in, but has slumped badly this season, hitting .235. All-Star scrimmage The New Braunfels All-Stars, bound for the ASA Senior Girls' State tournament this weekend in Victoria, scrimmaged at Camp Comal earlier this week to get ready for the competition At left, Jo Anne Cantu strides into the ball, while at right Lory Ann Hill takes off from first base Lisut WALD! Hi « Ald ZI ITI JSG No progress Baseball talks recessed until Monday NEW VORK (AP) — Cross off three more days in the countdown toward a possible baseball strike. Despite a players' union decision to walk out on Aug. 6 if a new collective bargaining agreement hasn’t been reached, the major league owners and players won’t sit down together again until Monday. The owners’ Player Relations Committee and officials of the Major League Players Association reported little, if any, progress after three hours of negotiations Thursday. It was their first meeting since the players set the deadline on Monday. “If you’re asking me whether we made significant progress, the answer is no. If you’re asking whether the clock is ticking, the answer is yes,” concluded Don Fehr, acting executive director of the union. Lee MacPhail, president of the management committee, was slightly more positive. “It’s hard to measure progess because we’ve got to do lot of work in a lot of areas, but we accomplished some of that today,” he said. Tfie negotiators said they dealt with a list of 25 noneconomic issues and only briefly addressed their biggest differences, salary structure and benefits “We had a brief discussion, but there is still no offer on the benefit plan,” Fehr said. “We reviewed a lot of other issues, not fundamental, important ones.” The owners have proposed a salary cap, which the union rejected, and want to change the conditions under which a player is allowed to seek free agency or salary arbitration. The biggest dispute concerns baseball’s television revenue and how much of it will go into the players’ pension and benefit fund. Traditionally, the players’ association has received one-third of that money. This year, that share came to about $15 million. But the value of baseball’s new TV rights contract soared last year from $250 million to $1.1 billion, and the owners have resisted giving the players the traditional third, or about $60 million. “We have not made a specific offer on television money,” MacPhail said. “It depends on how the whole financial issue is going to be resolved. To us, the economic state of baseball is the most important thing that has to be considered.” Rain turns St. George's to tiger SANDWICH, England (AP) — Tom I Watson was in the mood to tame a tiger. . The Royal St. George’s Golf Club course, known in calmer times as a ; par-70 layout of 6,857 yards, became •a rain-drenched monster during the ; opening round of the 114th British Open on Thursday and devoured ’many of the game’s top players, I including Watson. ; “Seventy-two won’t be that far I out,” Watson said of his round. “This I golf course can be a tiger. On the first • round, I found the heavy rough and I • deserved what I got.” • The tiger was reduced to a tabby, ♦however, by Irishman Christy •O’Connor Jr., the nephew of 1965 •Open runnerup Christy O’Connor. O’Connor ran off an Open-record seven consecutive birdies on the way to a 64 and a four-stroke lead. “I just tried to make as many birdies as I could. I tried to keep going the way I was. I never played safe,” said O’Connor, who had IO birdies, four bogeys and four pars. He broke, by one stroke, the course record set in 1934 by Henry Cotton, who was on hand to welcome O’Connor at the end of his round. “Well done, lad,” said the 78-year-old Cotton. “Did you play all 18?” Watson, seeking a record-tymg sixth British Open title, fared better than did a trio of former champions. After stumbling to a double bogey on the first hole, Watson played even-par golf the rest of the way, and pronounced himself pleased with his long iron play. Lee Trevino, a two-time champion, had it two under par after three holes, then took a double bogey on the fourth and came in with a 73. O’Connor’s famous uncle, a boisterous, carousing figure known throughout Britain as “Himself,” had some words of advice for his 37-year-old nephew. “He’s a hero in Ireland, a very brave player with nerves of steel,” O’Connor said of his uncle, a dominant player from the 1950s into the ’70s. “He told me how to win the Open. He said you must be brave enough to attack the course, brave enough to be positive and not negative, brave enough to play each hole and each shot one at a time. “I kept that in mind. ” Hvrald-Ztitung Friday, July 19,1985    SA Rangers slip past Tigers, Page 9A ;