New Braunfels Herald Zeitung (Newspaper) - January 8, 1985, New Braunfels, Texas
Gunslingers head to court
Cowboys' Breunig retires; Pearson mulls comeback
mCROPLEX INC. MITCH WOMBLE P.O. BOX 45436 DALLAS» TX 7524...
New Braunfels Tuesday
Mw Br—IM. TMM Vol. 95 - No. 6
January 8, 1985 25 Cents 12 Pages
Editor’s Note: The possibility that a transcontinental pipeline carrying highly-sulphured crude oil will cross the Edwards Underground Aquifer’s recharge zone through Comal County has some citizens worried.
This is the first-part of a three-part series on the pipeline, the concerns, the precautions being taken to protect the environment, and the governmental agencies involved in regulating the pipeline.
Planned pipeline raises environmental questions
By LILLIAN THOMAS Staff writer
The All-American Pipeline is an (850-million plus project that will bring crude from Santa Barbara, Calif, to Freeport. When it is built it will be a 30-inch line able to carry 300,000 barrels a day.
California refineries were not built to handle the highly-sulphured crude and the cost of bringing them up to
the California pollution standards to handle this type of oil would be very expensive. Right now this oil is shipped through the Panama Canal to the Texas refineries built to handle it.
But the cost of this type of transportation and the time element have produced a glut of high-sulphur oil on the California coast.
“We want to address all of the Edwards Underground Water
District’s concerns and the public’s. And if we do not have an answer, if something comes up that we have not looked into, we will find the answer,” Ron Hinn, an environmental specialist with the pipeline company, said.
Hinn also said he plans a meeting with Tom Fox, general manager of the underground water district, later
See PIPELINE, Page 12
The pipeline is supposed to follow the route of this existing pipeline through Central Texas
SA man presumed drowned in take
By SANDRA JACKSON Staff writer
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Reagan announced today he is naming his chief of staff. James A Raker III. to be secretary of treasury and is bringing Treasury Secretary Donald T. Regan into the White House to take Baker’s place as the president’s top staff aide.
Reagan said both had asked for new assignments.
The surprise announcement means Reagan will sweep clean the "Big Three" group of advisers who guided the White House during his first term.
Reagan, whose announcement was nationally televised, said both Regan and Baker had “served loyally and admirably at considerable personal sacrifice.’’
He also said that "their desire for the change is completely un
derstandable" and that each “is extremely well suited for his new assignment.”
Presidential counselor Edwin Meese III already has been nominated to be attorney general, and deputy chief of staff Michael K Beaver announced last week he would resign to take a job outside government.
Regan and Baker flanked Reagan as he spoke to reporters in the White House. Donald Regan
A San Antonio man is missing and presumed drowned at Canyon Lake.
Wesley Andrew Brooks, 36, was last seen Sunday. His car was found Monday in Comal Park. Brooks, a scuba diver, left his clothing in his car and his scuba gear is missing, leading authorities to believe he was diving in the lake.
"We believe he was diving solo,” said Phil Parsley, reservoir manager at Canyon I .ake, "He is now officially missing.”
Efforts to look for the diver have been thwarted by unusually murky waters in the lake caused by high inflow. Game Warden Neil Etheridge said no efforts will be made to dive today, since visibility in the area is so bad.
However, Etheridge had an appointment this morning with Rick Peterson, a Canyon Lake man who was fishing near Comal Park and saw a diver go into the water Sunday afternoon.
“He is going to show me exactly where he last saw the diver,” Etheridge said.
Etheridge added that he knows of at least two other divers who have drowned in the same area near Comal Park. The game warden described the lake bottom there as rocky and very brushy, with water IOO feet deep and more in spots.
“We are unable to use body drags there, because of the brushy bottom,” Etheridge explained. He plans to bring in divers on Friday if the sun is out to afford visibility.
The game warden said he will ask Don Dibble, owner of the Dive Shop in San Marcos, to assist in the search.
Motorists on Loop 337 at Highway 46 near New Braunfels High School may have been a little puzzled by this highway sign, which, after being
LESLIE naif WALDT HFHAl O 7EITUNG
blown over by recent high winds, appears to denote an underground route to New Braunfels and Boerne. That sign was being repaired today.
On the back burner
Parks board again tables pool private use fees
By DANA STELL Staff writer
They started out trying to establish a fee for the New Braunfels Aquatic Club’s exclusive use of I .anda Park pools.
But members of the Parks Advisory Board now are faced with deciding if the pools also should be rented to private groups, and what to charge for private
At Monday night’s parks board meeting, members talked again about the pool use fee and member Sharon Phair suggested that the matter be "tabled indefinitely, until the parks director and the city manager feel we need to get into something like that.”
The board tabled any action in October and November on establishing a fee for the
New Braunfels Aquatic Club, which hosts two competitive swim meets a year in the Olympic pool When the meets are conducted, the pool is closed to the public — one meet goes from F riday night to Sunday afternoon, and the other runs from Saturday morning to Sunday afternoon.
See PARKS. Page 12
Cont*) I Canyon inflow Canyon Dam outflow iUwafds Aquila Canyon Lake level
208 cl* (same)
528 cf* (down 2531 . . 800 cf* (*am«l 623 35 (up ll) 904 78 (down 141Today's Weather
The clouds will increase today with mild temperatures expected to reach about 64. It will be cooler tonight with a 30 percent chance of showers and lows in the mid 40s. Partiy-to-mostly cloudy skies Wednesday will bring a chance of showers and a high in the low 50s.Arms Talks
Under tight secrecy that suggested progress in their talks, Secretary of State George P. Shultz and Foreign Minister Andrei A. Gromyko today continued efforts to reopen U.S.-Soviet nuclear arms negotiations. See Page 3A
American priest kidnapped in Beirut
BEIRUT, lebanon (AP) - An American priest working with a Roman Catholic relief organization was pulled from his car and kidnapped today by eight men armed with automatic rifles, police said.
The abductors intercepted the Rev. lawrence Jenco’s chauffeur-driven car on a street in a residential neighborhood of mostly Moslem west Beirut, hauled him out at gunpoint and sped off in two cars, police said. No shooting was reported.
Jenco, 50, from Chicago, works at the Catholic Relief Services office in west Beirut. Police said he was heading to work from his home at about 7:30 a m. when he was ab
His Lebanese driver, Khaled Krunfol, said he tried to resist the kidnappers. They beat him and locked him up in the trunk of the car before they escaped, but he managed to free himself and report the abduction to authorities, police said.
Jenco is the fifth American kidnapped or reported missing in west Beirut since February 1984, when Moslem and Druse militias seized control of the area from the lebanese army.
The militias still dominate west Beirut, although the lebanese army and police are nominally in charge.
The kidnapping came less than 12
hours after the main Shute Moslem militia, Amal, secured the release of a Swiss diplomat who had been held for four days by his abductors.
The charge d’affaires, Erie Wehrli, 45, was freed unharmed Monday night when Amal security officers discovered the hideout where he was being held, stormed it and freed hun Wehrli, who along with Swiss officials refused to talk with reporters today, was abducted Thursday as he was driving to his home in the west Beirut neighborhood of Verdun from the Swiss F^mbassy in the nearby Hamra neighborhood Amal leader Nabih Berri said Wehrli’s kidnappers were the
relatives of a man detained in Switzerland rn connection with an alleged plot to blow up the U S Embassy in Rome The other Americans kidnapped or missing from west Beirut are: —Jeremy lavin. the Beirut bureau chief of Cable News Network, who was reported missing when he failed to report for work on March 7,1984 - William Buckley, a US Embassy political officer who was taken by gunmen as he was driving from his west Beirut apartment to the nearby embassy on March 16 -The Rev Benjamin Weir, a Presbyterian minister, who was taken at gunpoint as he walked along
a street near his west Beirut office last May 8
— Peter Kilburn. a librarian at American University of Beirut, reported missing when he failed to show up for work on Dec. 3.
The shadowy Islamic Jihad organization, which says it is waging a holy war on opponents of Islamic fundamentalism, claimed responsibility for first three kidnappings.
The Rev. Jesse Jackson, the American civil rights leader and former Democratic presidential candidate, says he is considering a trip to the Middle East to try to obtain the release of the kidnapped Americans.
Juveniles arrested for burglary, vandalism
By DEBBIE DeLOACH Staff writer
Sheriff’s Investigator Kermit Kroesche doesn’t like to see juveniles associated with crimes like burglary of a habitation or felony criminal mischief. But he saw plenty last weekend when at least IO area juvenile boys became suspects in three separate crimes.
Kroesche said the first case was “just plain vandalism,” discovered Friday at a vacant residence in Garden Ridge. Another was a thwarted mobile home burglary in the Indian Hills subdivision, and the other burglary involved liquor stolen from a River Road residence Sun
“We had three separate cases and three different catches — all juveniles from ages ll to 15. I’m hoping if we put this sort of thing in the newspaper, more kids will see something don’t pay,” Kroesche said.
The criminal mischief case involved a vacant house in Garden Ridge, but details are still pending until Kroesche has completed his investigation. But he said the case could easily involve up to five juvenile boys, ages 13 to 15, who all live in the Garden Ridge area.
The vacant house in Garden Ridge belonged to Mr. and Mrs. Art Smith, who now live in Boerne
"Mrs Smith said she was there on Dec. 26 and everything was fine She went back on Jan. 4, and found all the damage," Kroesche said. There was water damage to the inside of the house, doors torn from their frames, prisms yanked from a chandelier, holes kicked rn walls, and planks ripped from louvered doors throughout the house.
“I’d say that house was in the $85,000 to — just because they didn’t have anything better to do with their time,” Kroesche said.
Also on Friday, two 15-year-oid Comal County boys were charged with' burglary of a habitation for illegally trying to enter the Indian Hills mobile home that belonged to
William R. Pope of San Antonio
Mr Pope’s brother was driving by and saw one boy halfway through the window, and the other one on the ground holding the screen up," area The vacant house in Garden Ridge belonged to Mr. and Mrs Art Smith, who now live in Boerne “Mrs Smith said she was there on Dec. 26 and everything was fine She went back on Jan. 4, and found all the damage,” Kroesche said. There was water damage tKroesche said. "They saw the guy see them, and took off But when I got there. Deputy Milton Wtllmann caught one, who identified the other.
"Their excuse was they just wanted to get inside the trailer, and
smoke some cigarettes,” Kroesche added "I think those two boys need a good talkin-to."
On Sunday afternoon, C. Ed Reichardt of San Antonio became the third victim, when his summer home on River Road was burglarized by two 13-year-old boys and one 11-year-old.
"They broke into the house and stole a bunch of liquor, then decided to quench their thrust,” Kroesche said. “One of the 13-year-olds drank so much, he had to be hospitalized.’’
All five juveniles charged with burglary were released to their parents’ custody, but Kroesche said the cases will be turned over to the juvenile officer.