New Braunfels Herald Zeitung (Newspaper) - February 9, 1995, New Braunfels, Texas
Thursday, Feb. 9, 1995 ■ Herald-Zeitung ■ 3
Last Rain: Jan. 26, .07 inch Year Total: .28 inch Normal Year Total: 2.50 inch
Canyon Lake........908.74 ft
Edwards Aquifer, 626.59, dn .01 Comal River. .345 same cfs = cubic feet per second
Mold— 500 moderate
Cedar.. 204 light
Cedar elm .0......-
Pollen counts courtesy of Dr. Frank C. Hampel
High: 51 Low: 38 Record High: 91 in 1962 Record Low: 15 in 1933
Precipitation, yesterday's temperature, from the National Weather Service, taken at the San Antonio Airport.
Seele Science Club reports high 55, low 40, no rain
Partly cloudy and warm, high 72, low 45. Same tomorrow and Saturday.
Solar and Lunar data
Sun rises at 7:18, sets at 6:18. Moon sets at 2:37 a.m. and rises at 1:27 p.m. Thursday.
New Bluebonnet GM glad to be back
By ROGER CROTEAU
Littleton ‘Goose’ Thomas Sr.
Littleton 'Goose' Thomas Sr. of New Braunfels died Monday. Feb. 6. 1995 in Mesa. Anzona at the age of 58.
Funeral services will be Monday. Feb. 13. at Zoeller Funeral Home at I p.m. Visitation will begin at noon Mon
day, one hour before service time.
Memorials may be made to Live Oak Baptist Church or to a chanty of
Aerobic classes offered at Rec Center
New Braunfels Parks and Recreation Department offers aerobic workouts six days per week at the Landa Recreation Center. Our instructors teach both high and low impact moves that w ill improve the fitness level of all participants. Morning aerobics arc held Monday. Wednesday. Friday and Saturday mornings from 9 a m. to 10:30 a.m. Evening aerobics are held on Tuesday and Thursday evenings from 0 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. The fee is $2 per
class. Weights and floor mats are provided. Registration is held prior to each workout.
Landa Recreation Center also has a weight room, which includes multistation and single-station weight equipment, plus aerobic equipment for cardiovascular fitness. Monthly weight room fees arc $10 per person or $2 per person for daily usage. Weight room members must be 16 or older.
For information, call 608-2167.
Wes Studdard, the new general manager at Bluebonnet Motors, is no stranger to New Braunfels.
“I worked at Bluebonnet in 1990 and 1991 as a salesman, finance and insurance manager and sales manager,” he said. “When I had the opportunity to come back to New Braunfels, I took it. I am very excited about being back in New Braunfels.”
Studdard, 30, graduated from the University of Texas with a bachelor’s degree in business, and graduated Texas Tech University with a masters in business in 1987.
He worked for Ford Motor Company for three years before his first stint at Bluebonnet. Then he moved back to his home town of El Paso, where he ran the sales department at a car dealership. He is married. He and his wife, Tina, have a nine-month-old son,Jordan.
He replaces Gary Kahlig as Bluebonnet Motors’ General Manager.
Studdard said he has several goals for the dealership.
“Our goals for this year are to become the number one retail store in South Texas in sales volume and become the number one volume truck store in Texas. Our other goal is to become number one in our group of 16 dealers in customer satisfaction." he said. “We arc IOO percent committed to customer satisfaction.”
Bluebonnet Motors has also joined the Downtown Merchants Association and Studdard is joining the Rotarv Club.
“Bluebonnet and myself arc making a concerted effort to get back involved in the community,” he said.
The follow ing people were arrested by New Braunfels police.
• Keith Graf. 36. of 290 W. Faust in New Braunfels, was charged Jan. I with dnving under the influence.
• Hedrick Rodriguez, 24, of 4816 Old Hwy. 81 in new Braunfels, was charged Jan. I with public intoxication.
• Came Trevino, 21, of 4816 Old Hwy. 81 in New Braunfels, was charged Jan I with driving under the influence.
• Janicr Rubio, 31. of 2413 Baylor St. in Waco, was arrested Jan. I on unspecified charges.
• Jose Reyes, 28. of 231 N Lones-tar in New Braunfels, was charged Jan I with public intoxication
• Rolando Gonzales, 36, of 688 S. Academy in New Braunfels, was charged Jan. 2 with public intoxication.
• Robert Zelek. 33. of 167 E. /app in New Braunfels, was arrested Jan 2 on unspecified charges
• Jason Larwood, 20, of 1765 Thousand Oaks in San Antonio, was arrested Jan. 3 on unspecified charges.
• William Wells. 22. of 2095 kuehler in New Braunfels, was arrested Jan 3 on unspecified charges.
• Gilberto Alvarez. 38. of New Braunfels, was charged Jan 3 with theft.
• Melissa Obermeyer, 25, of 117 Rodriguez in New Braunfels, was arrested Jan. 4 on unspecified charges
• Michael Obermeyer, 23, of 109 I larbor iii New Braunfels, was charged Jan. 4 with traffic violations
• Richard Medellin, 26, of Rt 6, Box 575B of New Braunfels, was charged Jan 5 with aggravated assault.
• Jake Isaac, 22, of 1614 Santa Anna St. in San Antonio, was arrested Jan 5 on unspecified charges
• Theresa Rodriguez, 42, of 1132 Sycamore St. in Seguin, was charged Jan. 5 with theft.
• Julia Aguirre, 49, of Rt. I Box 398-B in New Braunfels, Jan. 5, was charged wth driving under the influence.
• Robin Sunday, 22„ of 193 Water En in New Braunfels, was charged Jan. 5 with public intoxication and unspecified charges.
• Jose Gomez, 19, of 411 Seele in New Braunfels, was charged Jan 6 with burglary
• Elizabeth Ortiz, 30, of 393 S. Comal St. in New Braunfels, was arrested Jan 6 on unspecified charges
• David Gonzales, 40, of 794 1/2 W. Mill St. in New Braunfels, was arrested Jan 6 on unspecified charges.
• Juan Sandoval, 32, of 2524 W. Katy in New Braunfels, was charged Jan 6 with the sale arui manufacture of opium, cocaine and heroin
• C hristoph Salazar, 23, of 620 E. Walnut in Seguin, was charged on Jan 6 with traffic violations.
• Jermaine Heard, 21, of 611 Mather in New Braunfels, was charged Jan 6 with possession of opium, cocaine, heroin and codeine
• Johhny Pate. 38, of 865 S. Academy St. in New Braunfels, was arrested Jan.6 on unspecified charges.
• Justin Higginbotham, 26. of 455 E. Nacogdoches in New Braunfels, was charged Jan. 6 with public intoxication.
• David Hernandez, 29, of 1080 E. Hwy. 81 in New Braunfels, was charged Jan. 7 with traffic violations.
• Julio Madera, 23, of 1057 Dunlap in New Braunfels, was charged Jan 7 w ith public intoxication
• Audie Henk, 35, of 253(H) N. IH-35 in New Braunfels, was charged Jan.
7 with public intoxication.
• James Gulden. 45, of 24 Royal Crest in New Braunfels, was charged Jan. 7 with dm mg under the influence and possession of marijuana.
• Henry Newsome, 33, of 119 Morales Ct. in New Braunfels, was charged Jan 8 with public intoxication.
• Jose Regaldo. 18. of 195 Rosedale in New Braunfels, was charged Jan.
8 with burglary.
• James Goodbread, 21, of 911 Twin Oak in New Braunfels, was charged Jan. 8 with public intoxication
• Monica Lerma, 19. of 307 Nagel St. in Seguin, was charged Jan. 8 with theft
• Floyd Young, 61, of 404 Aero Ave. in Schertz, was charged Jan. 8 w ith public intoxication.
• Vincent Mungia, 30. of 13234 l arkwalk in San Antonio, was arrested Jan 8 on unspecified charges
• Samuel /urita, 21, of Fort Worth. was charged Jan. 9 with traffic violations.
• Corey Richter, 23, of 365 E. Toney in New Braunfels, was charged Jan.
Don’t buy another (J) mil ii you talk with us!
ANNUAL PERCENTAGE YIELD (APY)
Rates above are also available tor IRA contributions.
We nuke money the old-fashioned way. We earn it."'
* I tic interest Kick mid annual percentage yield* (APYk) are effective av ut 92/M/tS and are subject lu availability and changck. AHY-periodic inlerekl payment* are nut ). All C l)* clio**ii are federally insured I
mn vested into the Cl). All Cf)* shown are federally insured up to HOO.OdO jk i depositor per in*i ii u I ion (principal and interest combined), and are backed by the full faith and edit of the U.S. Government. Smith Harney will maintain a ‘best efforts'* secondary
market which may result in a resale price less than the maturity value. II,(NM) minimum deposit is required.
Cl IWS Smith Hanley Int Member SIK A Menthe! of I rn ie terst i At tup?
Smith pledges to boost domestic energy industry
WASHINGTON, D.C.—Congressman Lamar Smith helped kick off the opening meeting Friday of the new Congressional Oil and Gas Forum, a bi-partisan group from the House and Senate dedicated to boosting the domestic energy industry.
“Last fall’s elections were a turning point for the domestic energy industry,” Smith said. “This is the most energy-friendly Congress in a generation. Our mission is to take advantage of the new opportunities it presents.”
More than 45 Senators and Representatives have joined the caucus, which was known as the Congres
sional Caucus of Oil and Gas Advocates in the 103rd Congress.
“Our domestic energy producers continue to struggle even as their strategic importance to our national security continues to increase,” said Smith, a longtime champion of the domestic oil and gas industry. “We’ll make sure that providing domestic producers with some tax and regulatory relief will be a top priority in the next two years. We’re not looking for a handout—-just a little fairness for an industry that for a long time has borne the brunt of Washington’s tendency to overtax and over-regulate.”
Story Idea? Call 625-9144
9 with public intoxication.
• Geronimo Zacarias, 23, of N. I lick-ory in New Braunfels, was charged Jan. IO with public intoxication.
• Tammie Mathena. 29, of 454 Tolle in New Braunfels, was charged Jan.
10 with public intoxication.
• Glendon Jones. 32. of 2743 Maple Tree in New Braunfels, was charged Jan. IO with public intoxication.
• Charles Bell, 33, of Hempstead, was charged Jan IO with public intoxication
• Maunel Zuniga. 34. of 935 W IH-35 of New Braunfels, was arrested Jan IO on unspecified charges.
• Benny Carroon. 20. of EM 2252 in New Braunfels, was arrested Jan IO on unspecified charges.
• Robert Freeby, 47, of 1825 S. Fifth in Waco, was charged Jan IO with public intoxication,
• Melodic Schimpf, IS, of 2800 Windgate in New Braunfels, was charged Jan. 11 with theft.
• David Cherry, 28, of 2152 (iruene Rd. in New Braunfels, was arrested Jan. 12 on unspecified charges.
• Robert Freeby, 47, of 1825 S. Fifth in Waco, was charged Jan. 12 with public intoxication.
• George Deleon. 28, of 6286 IM 1339 in Kingsbury, was charged Jan. 13 with possession and carrying weapons.
• Phillip Sandoval, 18. of 120 W. Torrey in New Braunfels, was charged Jan. 13 with traffic violations.
• Michael Padilla, 26, of 455 Torrey St. in New Braunfels, was charged Jan. 13 w ith sale and manufacture of opium, cocaine and heroin.
• Michael Pendelino, 29, of 7959 Fawn Creek Dr. in Spring Branch, was arrested Jan 14 on unspecified charges
Express what’s in your heart — send bouquets of fragrant flowers to all your Valentines!
Send the FTD"
Beary HappyM Valentine Bouquet
Our Hands Move Hearts
IffctrwM (rn ffJulian
146 N. Casten 625-5522
The following is a listing of tax preparing professionals.
POSPISIL TAX SERVICE On The Plaza 625-6997 COMPUTERIZED TAX PREPARATION
HOWARD MCELROY and Co., P.C. C.P.A. 755 N. Loop 337 Suite A 625-8942
“It's not how much you make, it’s how much you keep."
JOCHEC, JOCHEC & JOCHEC, P.C.
457 Landa St., Suite H 210-606-6659 (Metro) individual & Business Tax Returns- Electronic Filinq
You or your business is invited to participate in this tax listing, which will run everyday until 4/14. Call Laura at 625-9144 for more information.
Sponsored by lite I lcrahl-Ze itung Hic limes C»u.ir«lian and lite Advisor
Children, Grandchildren, Nieces, Nephews, and any child special to you
thai was bom in 1994.
A panel of unbiased judges will pick lite most alii active picture in be printed un the cover of Hie tabloid, one boy A girl runner-up will appear in Hie centerfold. Trophies will be awarded lo Hie Grand Prize W inner A. carli runner-up. Babies need not have been born iii Ibis area. Bring your favorite child's photo In Hie IIcrald-Zcilimg office, 7(17 Lamia Si., Monday Him Friday between 8:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. or mail coupon below with photo and $12.00 to the Ilerald-Zciliing, P.O. Drawer 31 LOK, New Braunfels, Texas 768131-1328.
I ILA OLIN I'. TO SUBMIT PHO FOS ami infni illation is 5:00 p.m. Monday, February 13,
1995. Please make sure tour name and phone number are on the back of Hie photo. Yon may pick up your baby's picture anytime during office hours after Thursday March 2, 1995. At this time you will receive one PUF F! copy of Babies on Parade. Additional copies will be available at a cost of $1.00.
Ibis year's edition will appear in Hie lleiald-Zeilimg on Sunday, February 26, 1995, 'File ( allyou Lake I imcs-Guai dian oil Wednesday, March I, 1995 aud Hie Advisor on Thursday Man ti 3, 1995. lf you would like for tour business, club or organization lo be included in Babies on Parade contact Hie Betail Advertising Di pt. al 625-9144 by Monday, February 20, 1995/
Flense leave phone number«»i address (ii will not Ik published) so we limy contact you if we need
Dale of Binh________
Weigh! al Dir til__
Mom (A Dad s Name Grandparents' Names
.Place of Ihrili__ I angili at Birth__