New Braunfels Herald Zeitung Newspaper Archives

- Page 6

Issue Date:
Pages Available: 16

About New Braunfels Herald Zeitung

  • Publication Name: New Braunfels Herald Zeitung
  • Location: New Braunfels, Texas
  • Pages Available: 250,382
  • Years Available: 1952 - 2013
Learn More About This Publication


  • 2.17+ Billion Articles and Growing Everyday!
  • More Than 400 Years of Papers. From 1607 to Today!
  • Articles Covering 50 U.S.States + 22 Other Countries
  • Powerful, Time Saving Search Features!
Find Your Ancestors Now

View Sample Pages : New Braunfels Herald Zeitung, April 02, 1985

Get Access to These Newspapers Plus 2.17+ Billion Other Articles

OCR Text

New Braunfels Herald Zeitung (Newspaper) - April 2, 1985, New Braunfels, Texas Robert Johnson The year of the upsetWildcats' records Record* broken Htghesi fiekJ goats percentage one ream championship game 786, 22 28 Villanow old record 674 31-46 Ohio State vs California 1960) Highest field goats Perce' rage one team, one game 786, 22 28 Viiianova (old record 760 3344 Northeastern vs Virginia Com mon wealth 1984 first round Record Tied Most free throws made one placer s * game series 39 Ed Pm ckney. Vittanova tied with k ». Vandeweghe, UCLA 1980Box score Villenova Georgetown VILLANOVA (66) Pressley 46 3 4 ll, McClain 5778 17 Pinckney 5767 16 Wilbur 0 0 0 0 0, McLain 33 22 8 Jensen 55 45 14 Ptansfcy 0001 0. Everson OO OO 0 Totals 22 28 22 2 7 66 GEORGETOWN (64) Martin 44> 2 2 10. Wi arris 5 9 0 2 IO Ewing 7 13 OO 14 Jackson 4 7 OO 8 Wingate 8 14 OO 16 McDonald 0 1 OO 0 Broadna. 1 2 22 4 Dalton 01 2 2 2 Totals 29 53 6 8 64 Halftime Viiianova 29 Georgetown 28 Fouled out None Rebounds Villenova 17 Pinckney 6 Georgetown 17 (Ewing Martin 5i Assists Viiianova 14 (Pinckney 5i, Georgetown 18 (Jackson 9' Total fouls - Viiianova 12. Georgetown 22 A 23 124Viiianova guns down Hoyas, 66-64 Gaining perspective along the track For the first time rn my life, I was out in front of the pack. It happened Saturday at the Gruene 10,000-meter run. Within minutes after the start in front of Gruene Hall, I had opened up a sizable lead. Even world class distance runner Brad Enckstad, who narrowly missed making the 1904 Olympic team, couldn’t keep up. At the two-mile mark, I shook off Tom Matschek, a teacher at Canyon High We had been almost shoulder-to-shoulder until then. Then, at the three-mile mark, the roof fell in. I had to get out of the pickup truck, set my Mile 3 marker on Clearwater Drive, and watch helplessly as Erickstad (and everyone else, for that matter) dashed, jogged, clogged, huffed and puffed by. Saturday’s race was the first I had seen from the leader’s perspective, mainly because I wasn’t running in it. My right knee is out of commission, so any racing will have to wait (although even when I’m healthy, applying the term “racing” to my nine-minute-a-mile pace is a misnomer). Anyway, I volunteered to work, and wound up working as a timer. Five of us hopped into a pickup truck driven by race manager Steve Smith, and sped away from the pack as soon as the starting gun was fired. We followed the course to make sure no one (i.e., Erickstad, who pulled away from the pack almost instantly) took a wrong turn. We arrived at the first mile, and our first timer grabbed his Mile I sign and dove over the side, just like the Marine Corps paratroopers in the movies. (I hollered, “Go! Go!” to add to the effect). He had no sooner set his sign up when Erickstad came streaking by. We headed out onto FM 306, and Smith drove along the shoulder at 12 miles an hour to keep his eye on the pack. I looked back at Erickstad. Not only was he keeping pace, he was reeling us in. We soon turned onto old FM 306, and Matschek got out with his Mile 2 sign. Again, Erickstad whizzed through only moments behind us. Smith drove up Clearwater Drive. making sure the leader could still see us, and turned onto Sunny brook That was my cue to deplane. Grabbing the Mile 3 sign, I hopped out. propped it up, watched Erickstad go by in a long-legged blur and told him to turn nght onto Rapids Road About 25 seconds later, the second-place runner came through Then the main pack started coming by, and I must have sounded like an auctioneer trying to call out times. It took me awhile to get the hang of it. When the leaders came through. I had loads of time to watch my runner’s watch and give them split-second accuracy on their splits. Then runners started coming by ever)' two and three seconds, and I got tongue-tied calling out, “21:38.,.21:39...21:41...21:43 ” Finally, about 30 runners came by in a group, so I dropped the minutes and hollered, “22:40..41..42...43..44 “ Invariably, the last guy rn the pack would holler, “Minutes?” So I’d start over. I didn t get much time to observe the runners, but I still saw some interesting things. A punk runner sporting two-tone, blond-over-black hair came through at a swift pace. A race-walker came by in about 30 minutes, and I winced. I can’t do much faster than that running, I thought. Finally the walkers started coming through, along with this one slow runner wearing a T-shirt with a tie and collar drawn on. I knew everyone had passed through when two walkers rounded the corner, followed by Matschek carrying his Mile 2 sign. By that time, the race had been on for 50 minutes, and Erickstad had already finished. (He won in 30.17; his victory margin was nearly two minutes). I knew he had finished because I saw him out on a training run, coming up Sunnybrook the other way. I’d love to be that fast, but I don’t think my legs would allow it. Some of us are bom to run (sorry, Bruce Springsteen) and others are bora to time. After Saturday, I know I was bora to tote a stopwatch.Viiianova fans celebrate VILLANOVA. Pa. *AP) — The campus-wide celebration that erupted when the Viiianova Wildcats became national collegiate basketball champions roared into the early-morning hours as revelers awaited the return of their heroes. The team, which defeated Georgetown 66-64 in Monday's NCAA title game, was returning to Philadelphia from I^exington. Ky., for a parade and rally in Center City. After the downtown activities— and glass-strewn Main Line campus for more celebrating. LEXINGTON, Ky. (AP i — Far from owning a place in the history books, Georgetown and Patrick Ewing are mere footnotes to Villanova’s place in the NCAA’s record book The Hoyas were all but conceded a second consecutive national championship before the basketball tournament began — even before the basketball season began — and most certainly before Monday night’s final against Viiianova began. “We’re going to have to play a perfect game against Georgetown to win,” roly-poly Rollie Massimino, the Wildcats' animated coach, had said before they pulled off one of the sport’s greatest upsets with a 66-64 victory. His prediction wasn’t far off. More accurately, his players weren’t. They hit 78.6 percent of their shots from the field — 22 of 28 shots overall and nine of IO in the second half — to surpass both the championship-game record of 67.4 percent by Ohio State in 1960 and the tournament record of 75 percent by Northeastern in the opening round a year ago. The Hoyas were supposed to become the first team since the 1973 UCLA Bruins to win consecutive titles. They were supposed to join LICINA, Oklahoma A&M, Kentucky, San Francisco and Cincinnati as repeat champions. And Ewing, the monolithic 7-footer with the wingspan of a condor, was supposed to join the select company of I>ew Alcindor, Bill Walton, Jerry Lucas, Alex Groza and Bob Kurland as a multiple winner of the tournament’s Outstanding Flayer Award. It all came crashing to the court in Rupp Arena. Ewing alone missed as many shots as the entire Viiianova team, getting his 14 points on 7-of-13 from the field. He was his usual awesome self — three consecutive slam dunks late in the first half — but lithe, 6-9 Ed Pinckney aced Ewing out of his greatest triumph and grabbed it for himself. It was Pinckney, with five of seven from the field and six of seven from the foul line, six rebounds and five assists, who was selected the tournament’s premier player and who joined fellow seniors Dwayne McClain (with a game-high 17 points) and Gar)’ McLain in fulfilling a dream. They had vowed as freshmen to give Massimino ( “a father, a brother, a boss and a coach,” McLain had called him) a trip to the Final Four before they were graduated. “These kids are just great,” Massimino told a postgame news conference, the emotion welling up and spilling from his eyes as he sat with his trio of seniors and sophomore guard Harold Jensen. They were Davids facing a Goliath and his army of sharpshooters. They were Rocky, real-hfe fighters from the outskirts of Philadelphia. They were The Little Engine That Could, panting. "I think I can, I think I can ... I thought I could. I thought I could...” Ewing’s season ended with the Hoyas a 35-3 team The Ewing era at Georgetown ended with the Hoyas’ four-year record at 121-23. In barely a month, seven teams in the National Basketball Association will participate in a loiter) for the first choice in the draft. The winner most certainly will take Ewing. “I don’t feel bad for him," said teammate Michael Jackson. “I'm sure Patrick will have a chance to play another championship game.”Bullseye shooting made difference LEXINGTON, Ky. (AP) - When Patrick Ewing swatted away a Dwayne McGain shot in the second half of the NCAA championship game, it seemed like just another routine rejection for Georgetown’s giant center. It was, however, much more than that. Had McClain found the net instead of Ewing’s hand with that shot, Viiianova would have been perfect with 10-for-10 from the field in the final 20 minutes of Monday night’s game. As it turned out, 90 percent was good enough to construct a 66-64 upset that made the Wildcats surprise national champions, the first unranked team since City College of New York in 1950 to claim the crow n. Viiianova shot a record 78 6 percent from the field, missing only six of 28 field goal attempts all night and only one — McClain’s short shot with 11:01 left — in the second half. They were 22 for 27 from the foul line, an impressive 81.5 percent. One of the missed free throws also belonged to McGain It came with 59 seconds to play and ended a tournament streak of 20 straight for him loosing Georgetown got 16 points on 8-for-14 shooting from David Wingate and 14 from Ewing, who hit 7 for 13. Both were over the 50 percent break-even figure that usually defines a good shooter But each of them missed six shots and that equalled the total number of field goal attempts missed by the entire Viiianova team. McClain and Ed Pinckney were both 5 for 7 and Harold Pressley 4 for 6 from the field. They accounted for the six misses. Guards Gary McLain «3 for 3» and Harold Jensen (5 for 5) were perfect. Coach Rollie Massimino was satisfied, but noted somewhat facetiously that his team could have done even better. "We didn’t shoot IOO percent.” he said. "But we got the ball where we wanted it and to whom we w anted it." For the night, Viiianova had a combined total of ll shots — six field goals and five free throws — that did not wind up in the net Forty-four others, however, hit home NB7th,8th capture relays title San Antonio whips Portland 33 0, Page 8Hvrald-Zeitung Tuesday, April 2,1985    6 New Braunfels Middle School won both divisions at the Junior Unicorn Relays held Friday at Unicorn Stadium. The seventh grade team just edged out runner-up Canyon Middle School 116 to 103, while the eighth grade team ran away from the field, scoring 1964 to 874 for runner-up Kirby. New Braunfels posted 13 first-place finished in the eighth grade division, led by victories in both the 400 and 1,600 relays. Canyon’s Charles Spears won the IOO in 12.37 for the school’s only first place in the eighth grade division. In the field events, Ernest Wilson won the shot put with a 44-44 % effort, while Jimmy Sinunonda took the high jump at 5-2 and the long jump at 17-114. Kit Jonason won the pole vault at 8-6, and Juan Ozuna took the discus with a throw of 116-24. In the 400 relay, the team of Jeff Bryan, Wade Ohnheiser, Bryon Slaughter and Lonnie Aleman ran a 48.50 for first place, while the team of Simmonds, Aleman, Joel Hinkhouse and Bryan ran a 3:55.76 in the 1,600 relay. Simmonds also won the HO hurdles in 18.29. Hinkhouse captured the 800 in 2:22.92, while Bryan took the 400 in 54.52. Aleman finished first in the 200 in 25.70. Paul Buck won the 1,600 in 5:23.0. In the seventh grade division, NBMS winners were John Carnareno in the long jump (16-2%), Will Bargainer in the discus (105-6), John Carnareno in the IOO (12.23) and 200 (26.39), Travis Reidel in the 300 hurdles (54.57) and the 1,600 relay of Sean Toney, Matt Ethridge, Danny Esqueda and Robby Farias (4:12.10). Winners for Canyon in the seventh grade division were Austin Rich in the 800 ( 2:35.84) and 1,600 ( 5:37.69), Austin Montanio in the high jump (4-10), Anthony Hinojosa in the shot put (35-7 Va), Eddie Lopez in the 400 (58.89) and the 400 relay of Lopez, Gilbert Hernandez, Michael McBride and Montanio. Above, Canyon Middle School's Eddie Lopez gets off the mark in the sprint relay during Friday's Junior Unicorn Relays at Unicorn Stadium. At right, New Braunfels' Travis Raidal clears a hurdle during the 300-meter intermediate hurdles. Teams from New Braunfels, Canyon, Kirby, San Marcos, Briesemeister and Saegert middle schools competed at the meet. DfflYL CLARK/HERALD ZEITUNG ;