Internet Payments

Secure & Reliable

Your data is encrypted and secure with us.
Godaddyseal image
VeraSafe Security Seal

Lethbridge Herald Newspaper Archives

- Page 1

Join us for 7 days to view your results

Enter your details to get started

or Login

What will you discover?

  • 108,666,265 Obituaries
  • 86,129,063 Archives
  • Birth & Marriages
  • Arrests & legal notices
  • And so much more
Issue Date:
Pages Available: 24

Search All United States newspapers

Research your ancestors and family tree, historical events, famous people and so much more!

Browse U.S. Newspaper Archives

googlemap

Select the state you are looking for from the map or the list below

OCR Text

Lethbridge Herald, The (Newspaper) - September 10, 1973, Lethbridge, Alberta The tetkbridae Herald VOL. 227 Lethbridge, Alberta, Monday September 10, 1973 2 24 Pages Nikka Yuko Centennial Garden Charges spark new rail threat Amiii is 4fed up' with U.S. scandal Kissinger nomination in no serious trouble ALGIERS (Reuter) Ugandan President Idi Amin says he is fed up with the Watergate scandal in the United States. The press has degraded President Nixon to the point where he is not respected at all. Amin told a news conference here Sunday. Amin said that even prostitutes on the street are more respected than Presi- dent Nixon as a result of publicity given to the bugging affair Amin, answering a question, had these comments: Nixon is a human being. He has made a mistake. The press shouldn't waste time on Watergate. Last July, Amin wished the U.S. president a speedy recovery from the Watergate affair in a cable to mark Independence Day. His remark met a frosty reception in the U.S. state department. He made another reference to Watergate while com- menting last month on reports that Nixon is among this year's Nobel peace-prize nominees. Radio Uganda said Amin congratulated Nixon on the nomination, while suggesting it must have been a joke. Inside 'And guess what Mummy, we've found out where salt comes Classified..........20-23 Comics............... 5 Comment............. 4 District.............. 15 Family............18.19 Local 'Markets.............. 6 Sports............. 8-10 TV................... 7 Weather.............. 2 Low Tonight 45, High Tues. 80; Sunny, warm. WASHINGTON (AP) Henry Kissinger's nomination to be U.S. state secretary ap- peared in no serious trouble today despite a dispute over release of FBI wiretap reports. Key senators predicted that an early-morning meeting be- tween the Senate foreign rela- tions committee, Attorney- General Elliot Richardson and former acting FBI direc- tor William Ruckelshaus would settle the issue. Several members, including Chairman J. W. Fulbright (Dem: Ark.) had demanded access to FBI summaries of wiretaps made on 13 govern- ment officials and four reporters during 1969 and 1970. After first refusing to release the reports, Richardson agreed last Fri- day to meet with the com- mittee after some members said Kissinger's nomination should be held up until they see at least the summaries of the FBI findings. Although no one predicted Richardson would release all the information sought, several committee members said they expected to be satisfied. The committee scheduled the Richardson meeting for a.m. EOT, an hour before the regular confirmation hearing. Although the immediate dis- pute was over release of the wiretap summar.as, the issue broadened at Friday's initial session. First Fulbright and then others sought to question Kissinger about his role in having the taps placed on the reporters- and officials, including several members of his own National Security Council staff. Kissinger said he had little knowledge of the information obtained by the surveillance and denied he ordered the taps. He said he merely provided names of persons who had ac- cess to national security infor- mation that had been leaked to reporters. Nonetheless, Fulbright and several others said they would continue to press Kissinger on the issue of wiretaps as government policy as well as on his own role. Former commander scoffs at system LONDON (Reuter) A for- mer NATO commander in Eu- rope warned today that the United States defence system compared to the Soviet Union's makes the U.S. "the world's greatest nudist colony." Gen. Sir Walter Walker, from 1969 to 1972 the commander-in-chief of Al- lied forces in northern Eur- ope, was commenting in a letter to The Times on what; he called the danger of the numbers game, "the mere counting of warheads without analyzing their megaton nage." Walker said that although it is argued that U.S. sub- marines prowl the seas with nuclear missiles able to hit any target without warning, "the new Soviet ballistic mis- sile submarine, which will carry mis- siles" a much greater range than the best U.S. submarine- launched missiles, can be stationed in a stand-off posture opposite both U.S. coasts with atomic warheads targetted at every major city in the country." The general said the Soviets have "extensive, already-de- ployed anti-missile defences, anti-bomber defences, and an excellent civil defence organ- ization." "By comparison the U.S. is now the world's greatest nudist he said. SAYS NATO INVALID Walker said "the balance of terror is now such that Russia has made it impossible for the West to go on sheltering any longer under the American nu- clear umbrella. CANADIAN PRESS Six railway union members from the Vancouver area have been charged with violating Parliament's back-to-work legislation, and Norman Mullins. justice department director in Vancouver, said Sunday his instructions were to "continue on and on" until all those defying the legisla- tion are prosecuted. Mr. Mullins said more than 20 charges would be laid today. Workers in Thunder Bay, Ont.. and Winnipeg returned to work Sunday, ending a week of defiance. Roger Butler, president of the Vancouver-area Joint Council of Railway Unions, warned Sunday that if charges continue to be laid "then the only defence is a nation-wide strike." Mr. Butler said if the federal justice department had waited the unions might have sent the men back to work until former Supreme Court justice Emmett Hall made his arbitration report. The joint council was sched- uled to meet again today. VOTE TO STAY OFF The 17 unions belonging to the joint council represent about 2.500 railway employees. The workers voted overwhelmingly in a secret ballot Saturday to stay off the job. The vote came shortly before the first charges were laid by the justice depart- ment. Summonsed are Robert Thompson, Harold Holmes, Robert Butterworth and Fred Coiirt. They were to appear in court today. Charged but not yet summonsed are Stuart McLeOd of Port Moody and Harold Gaffeny of New'West- minster. Court is secretary-treasurer of the joint council and Gaffeny is an official of his un- ion. The remaining are rank- and-file union members with Holmes due to retire in December. Mr. Mullins said: "We're not trying to hit the union of- ficials in the head, just to break it (thesituation) up." He said most of the charges will be laid under the Criminal Code and would mean a crimi- nal record and a maximum prison term of two years on conviction. All six laid on the weekend are of this type. FORCED TO RETURN Mr. Mullins said the legisla- tion required those who were off the job to return to work. It also breathed life into the un- ion labor contracts that ex- pired last December and made it illegal to strike after the legislation was approved. The second group would be charged under the Canadian Labor Code, he said. Unions found guilty of approving such a strike would be liable to a per day fine and in- dividuals to a single fine. Mr. Butler said the joint council membership will sup- port those charged but there is little money available. He said the railway workers see the legislation as an at- tack on the right to strike and other labor groups are being requested to help defend the mainstay of organized labor. In Victoria. Roy Head of the Brotherhood of Railway, Airline and Steamship Clerks, also warned the legal action against the six Vancouver railway workers could spark another mass rail walkout. j OUR FIRST PAPER I DONE IN OFFSET j This is the first issue of The Lethbridge Herald with j; lithe type produced photographically and the ijdone on the new Goss offset press. A small inaugural ceremony was planned for the oc- llcasion with Clarence Copithorne, minister of 'land transport, and Mrs. Marie Long, widow of IJHerald publisher Harold Long, pushing the buttons the new press. All the old printing equipment will be removed iimediately, most of it having been sold. Renovation of i; :khe vacated space will be completed as soon asi All the operations will then be moved into; Stheir permanent quarters, and only then, when- jit'he'change is complete, will it'be possible to noldj: open house. j; Oil sands face gov't exemption OTTAWA (CP) Produc- tion from Alberta's un- developed Athabasca oil sands may be exempt from the federal government's plans to lower the cost in Canada of domestically produced oil. Energy Minister Donald Mac- donald said in an interview taped for the CTV program Question Period. "I think there is going to have to be a special arrangement for the oil sands because of the higher cost involved in producing oil from said Mr. Macdonald. He was commenting on the government's announcement last week that controls may be imposed to ensure that higher oil prices in the United States market do not automatically increase prices in Canada. This would introduce, in effect, a two price system. The oil sands projects "are going to involve the com- panies in very heavy expen- ditures for which they will merit financial said the minister. "I would see a very different systems for pricing the oil sands oil when it comes on the market than we're proposing in the two price system." The minister said he would meet this week with Gilles Masse. Quebec minister of natural resources, to discuss the proposal to extend the oil pipeline from Western Canada into Montreal. Mr. Masse has termed the proposal "unacceptable." Mr. Macdonald said the pipeline extension is in the interest of Quebec residents because it will secure the supply of crude oil "virtually in any contingency." It also would stabilize prices in the Montreal market. Quebec has tentative plans to build large refinery plants on the St. Lawrence River, to be supplied by oil imports from Venezuela and the Mid- dle East. Mr. Macdonald said such plans should be approached "with great caution." For one thing, the foreign oil supply may be cut off. said the minister. There also was the chance the U.S. for its Qwn policy reasons may shut refin- ed oil products out of their market. Mr. Macdonald said the decision to supply Canadian markets with Canadian oil is not a question of patriotism, but of practical policy. It was incumbent on the government to try to protect the Canadian market from interruption of supply and from price increase. Blasts injure 11 in two stations LONDON (AP) Bombs exploded in two railway stations here today, injuring 11 persons and climaxing wave of blasts in British cities blamed on Irish Republican Army (IRA) terrorists. Police originally said one man was killed. Scotland Yard announced later that the man is still alive "but in a very bad way." Bomb scares forced police to evacuate two other railway stations here. The blasts and warnings at all four stations came between noon and 1 p.m., suggesting a co- ordinated wave of terror. In Belfast. Northern Ireland, usually reliable sources said the bombings were certainly inspired by the outlawed IRA, although mainstream IRA operators may not have set them. This has been the suspicion in police circles here for the last two weeks. Beginning Aug. 28. a series of bombings has disrupted life in London. Birmingham, Manchester and other cities. Few have been injured because in most cases war- nings were given. Police expected worse trouble, assuming the bomb- ing had been orchestrated to build up to the opening of a trial in Winchester today of 10 defendants accused of setting off bombs in London on March 8. Historic trial of Nixon men 'potentially explosive By ARNOLD H. LUBASCH New York Times Service NEW YORK A criminal trail of historic significance is scheduled to start on Tuesday with two of President Nixon's former cabinet officers as the defendants in federal district court here. The .defendants are former attorney general John N. Mitchell, who was the .president's campaign director for the elections of 1J68 and 1972. and former commerce secretary Maurice H. Stans, who was the chief fund-raiser for both campaigns. They are accused of obstructing a major fraud investigation of Robert L. Vesco, a fugitive financier, in return lor a cash contribution to the Nixon cam- paign last year. The potentially explosive trial, which could last about a month, promises to provide an all-star cast, of prominent political' names, including former White House aides and one or perhaps both brothers of President Nixon. When the defendants were charged on May 10 with con- spiracy, obstruction of justice and perjury, it was the first indictment of anyone who had served in the cabinet since the Teapot Dome Scandal in the administration of President Warren G. Harding The only former cabinet of- ficer ever indicted, convicted and imprisoned was Albert B. Fall, secretary of the interior in the Harding administration, who served a one-year sentence for accepting a bribe in the 1922 leasing of govern- ment oil reserves at Teapot Dome. Wyo. Harry M. Daugherty. a Harding associate who was the only former attorney general ever indicted before Mitchell, went to trial in 1926 for a fraud conspiracy to ease million for a German company, but his case ended in a hung jury. In the Vesco case, the 46- page federal indictment represents the first formal charge against Mitchell and Stans. who are also being investigated as a result of the Watergate burglary and bugg- ing scandal in Washington, Their trial 1S'expected to open with careful questioning of prospective jurors in an ef- fort to select an impartial jury for prominent defendants in the spotlight of extensive publicity related to the Watergate scandal as well as the Vesco case. Defense lawyers for Mitchell and Stans have argued that the case be dis- missed or delayed on the ground that "massive pre- judicial publicity" had made a fair trial impossible. f; The remaining defendant in case. Harry L. Scars, is a S.'i-yoar-old lawyer, republican politician and V e s c o .-.issooiate. His case was severed from the other defen- dants with the consent of the prosecution, and he is schedul- ed to go to trial after Mitchell and Stans, but he could testify against them if his lawyer comes to terms with the prosecutors. V Res ides tne defendants .the prosecution has named John W. Dean, the former White House counsel, as a co- conspirator along with Laurence B. Richardson Jr.. and Howard F. Cerny, two Vesco associates. ;