Lethbridge Daily Herald, The (Newspaper) - November 3, 1919, Lethbridge, Alberta
NEW ADDITION TO CP.O.S. FLEET GREAT WAR RECORD THE EMPRESS OF FRANCE. (1) Captain E. Cook. (2) C. P. 0. S. Empress of France. (3) Bedroom Suite. (4) First-class Smoking Room. (5) Lieut. R. Stewart (marked who won ths Victoria Cross rmrt the D.S.O., with bar, in command of one of the famous "Mystery Ships" during Lh'e war, and the navigating officers of The Empress, with Mr. C. B. Benjamin (in passenger traffic man- ager of the C. P. 0. S. (6) First Class Dining Salon. (7) First Class Lounge. Second Class Dining Salon. (9) First Class Library. (10) Second Class Smoking Room. (11) First Class Card Room. (12) Kitchen Galley. AN INTERESTING WAR RECORD The- latest addition lo (he great Heel of C. P. 0. Steamships which ply between Canada and practically, all the fmporlanl call in the world Is the "Empress of before the war popularly known ag Ihc S.S. "Alsatian" and one of the ocean grey hounds between Canada and .Liver- pool- Tho vessel has been reconditioned since the war ceased and receiilly completed her maiden trip Quebec under her new name. The photographs here reproduced give an adequate description of Tier Interior arrangements and fittings, and will compare favorably with the great Leviathans in Ibis respect Tho "Empress of France" has a length of COO fL; beam 72 fL; depth (io U. 51 '11. 6 In.; and a tonnage ol gross. A striding pecuniarily la the cruiser's stern, whlcb Imparts a warlike appearance lo the vessel. Her war record Is one lo tic proud of. The "Empress of France" aa (he S.S. "AlsalUn" was requisitioned for war purposes under Royal Proclamation Immediately on her arrival at the Port of Liverpool, midnight on tbc Gth August 19H. After completion of discharge, the entire removal of all passenger accommodation and other wood- work, she was armed with 8-6 In. guns, commissioned and manned a naval crew unacr the com- maud of Captain V. PbMUraore, D.3.O., and was attached to the IGlh Cruiser Squadron on northern patrol iduly, salting from Lirerpool on August 35th, at which port shr. has been based during the cnUre period ol her Commission. From August to December 191-J, she remained as above staled, but fn December sbe was made Flap flhfp of (he Squadron to which she was atlachtil, and iVfce-Admiral sir Uudlcy K, S. Do CnMr, K.C.Ii., M.V.O., hoisted his flag, which flew up ID March IJj.lG, when lie was succeeded by Admiral Sir Reginald O. Tuppcr, K.C.B., C.V.O-, who wag succeeded In NoTtmber 1518 by flear-Admlral C. YV. Kelfhley Peach, under whose flag she terminated Her commission as an Armed Cruiser. The Squadron lo whkn she was attached, and later became Flagship of, consisted of 21 ves- sels, the majority of which were Armed Mercantile Cruisers. The duties ot Ihe HquKdron consisted o( Ihc stopping of vessels, boarding them and examining their papers, nnd phould on examination llicy prove lo ho tt all of a fiuuplcioiis nature, a Naval Offirer was placed fn charge and they were taken Into a UnlLf4 Kingdom port for closer examination. This similarly applied lo any members of Iho pasEtrigera or crew, as each and everyone had (o give n satisfactory rjrlanallon ai lo Ihclr nationality business. AvalJabfc rccorrfj show Ibal In all the Squadron Intercepted some rnsscls, but Jt Is Impossible to Blalc how man? of these proved to be engaged In work hoslile lo Ihc Allies Interests, In the early part of 1918, circumstances permitted of lae 10th Cruder Squadron being consider- ably reduced In numrcra, and vessels so engaged helns allocated to Convoy Protection Duty, tho ''Alsatian'1 figuring amongst tbc number and being stationed on the N'orth Atlantic route in such ca- pacity. While- so cngaccd sbe escorted nine convoya of about 20 each, parrying an estimated number o( troops per convoy of 30.00D, principally Americans, on Convoy Escort duties Ihc "Alsatian" also carried troops and cargo, the num- ber of former per voyage bi'lncr about GOO, and (he weigh I of cargo per voyage between and 3.000 tons. She made her last voyage on Government Service In November. 1018, galling from Liver- pool on (he Ulh, and rcdocko'd at. (hat port on December ]Uh 1318, having ntcamcd a total distance on Covcrnmcnl Service of 2CB.741 miles nnd consumed Ions of coal. On January I71h she left for Glasgow, having been ptacod In the hands of her Messrs. tiardmoro the Admiralty fnr reconditioning, rrdellvcrcd lo (he C. P. 0. S. at the Port 6f T.ivf rjMol on Thursday, September 23lh, and .sallctt for Qutbcc on Friday, September 26lh, i CapUlr. Omram her Caplaln whon War hrokc mil, was glvtn Ihc rank of Commander 11.NMI.. and In that copicily, which was of an advisory nature, under both Vice-Admiral Sir Dudlpv H. H. PR Chair, K.C.n., M.V.O., and Admiral Sir Reginald, Tuppcr, K.C.D., C.V.O., nnd was granled Ihc D.S.O. for EerTlcc-R rendered, being aucceodcil by Captain Cook at the j-amc lime ns Admiral Tuppcr [was succeeded by fl far-Admiral C. W. Krtehlry Pea eh. Cflplaln Cook, was appoinlcd J-'lag Captain, pnd granted a commission as Canlnln It.N.n., and now cor.iminds Uic vessel.