Lethbridge Herald, The (Newspaper) - May 29, 1973, Lethbridge, Alberta
10 THE LETHBRIDGE HERALD TuMdey. 29, 1973- May 29, If 73 THE LETHBftlDGE HERALD LEFT: An arttsts's concep- tion of new research sta- tion offices and laborator- ies at Lethbridge. The structure is scheduled for completion fn two years. A look into the past, present and future: Lethbridge Research Station expansion to be completed in 1975 The federal and provincial departments of agri- culture will be united under one roof when the new administration and laboratory complex at the Leth- bridge Research Station is complete in 1975. The building will house the largest research and agricultural extension centre in Canada, employing more than 500 persons. The present Lethbridge Research Station team will comprise the majority of the centre, accounting for 344 persons, including 76 professional members, 260 year- round full-time persons and 84 seasonal or casual em- ployee. The total expenditure of the station for the 1972-73 fiscal year is set at million, including million for salaries. The research station includes the Lethbridge com- plex, tjhe Manyberries range substation, the irrigation substation at Vauxhall and the foothills substation at Stavely. The entire complex originated in 1906 with the transfer of 400 acres from live Alberta Rail Road and Irrigation Co. Dr. W. H. Fairfield was the first super- intendent and sole professional employee in 1910. The station was termed the Dominion Experimental Farm until, through several amalgamation processes involving different sections of agricultural research, it was named the Lethbridge Research Station in 1959. Director Dr. J. E. Andrews says no new staff will be added to the research team and the focus will re- main to increase the efficiency of agriculture. Also included in the new building will be 150 mem- bers of the Alberta Department of Agriculture, now located at the Lethbridge Community College, and 25 members of the Canada Department of Agriculture products and marketing branch, presently located in the post office building. Army hospital renovated After the Second World War, a former military hospital at Lethbridge airport was moved In three pieces to the research station grounds. The structure, shown above under construction in 1948, initially housed the science service laboratories. Research administration centre Today, former hospital is used a biofogy building and houses several other deportments Including adminFstrcrtion, plant pathology, crop entomology, photography and a library. Plant science building A former horse barn constructed in 1931-1932 now serves a different role at the research station. With rencvaticns ond additions to the building, the barn currently houses the plant science department and computer centre. Old entotnological laboratory Constructed in 7915, the present toxicological laboratory first housed the entomofc. g.cal department. In 1931 the unit was mobilized, using vehicles similar to the car pfc- tured above. Entomology moved into the science service building in 1947 Built Bu.lt A home for the workers i v wot thit boarding house. 1906 add.t.ons and renovat.ons have since converted it into a soils laboratory.