Internet Payments

Secure & Reliable

Your data is encrypted and secure with us.
VeraSafe Security Seal

Lethbridge Herald Newspaper Archives

- Page 3

Join us for 7 days to view your results

Enter your details to get started

or Login

What will you discover?

  • 108,666,265 Obituaries
  • 86,129,063 Archives
  • Birth & Marriages
  • Arrests & legal notices
  • And so much more
Issue Date:
Pages Available: 6

Search All United States newspapers

Research your ancestors and family tree, historical events, famous people and so much more!

Browse U.S. Newspaper Archives

Select the state you are looking for from the map or the list below

OCR Text

Lethbridge Daily Herald, The (Newspaper) - July 10, 1908, Lethbridge, Alberta ALTA., f ft I D A V, J U1 Y H, page s aT Ei On the School Board of the City The First School Who Have Given Over Twenty Years Past The New School E Uyinc of tbe of the new 8cliooi DAturaUjr -.etlb to mud the T coiutructibu of the the city luwl, the trutteoi who have curried on the poriaut work the teftcheri who tuve had of the various through the hUtory of the public of Utbbrklgl in one that refteds cred- it upou the city aikd upon tike nuiar public spirited, dtiieoH who have served ai aud upon the teachers, who, UK a rule huvo b'Cii of a high HtHiulard. Upon the Board of Tiusteeti froiti uirie to time U'tlibridire'a most prominent eit- which fact goes to prove that Ihe interests of ItfKMi r.OHMiU'red of great importance uiul worthy of the; careful aitfution of tlu> cityV men who have had charge of school as priueipal have recog- by calls to higher posiiipus And not a few of.' tho students who have goue from the city schools in the past twenty years rhavc -brought credit alike to their, city, and schools. in lit Mirth Ward About this tube a great many peo- ple had located their homes-across track in what became known us North Ward. and wanted a In April 1861 at a public It was that the department of education at Regioa in response to an application for the formation of a school district, outlined the 'district and appointed Win; Stafford, Johrr Craig 'and -A. Scott to act as trustees. The last-named was unable to act, However, and HI Green- wood; was elected by the'people to till the vacancy. He was appointed secretary-treasurer of the board and Stafford, chairman. The board "at its initial meeting, March 25; 1886, decided to purchase liooks for the use of the students and a cottage: was rented from1 the North West Coal and Navigation Co., now the Alberta Rail- way and Irrigation Co., for" school purposes. C. F. P. Conybsare was appointed to make up the first assess- ment roll, which showed an assess- ment of which a.t the..rati of four milia-nan -'the 'dollar yielded a revenue of First Teachers The straightway proceeded to get a suitable erected. Aequ iri ng some lots iat'.the coriier ;of Glyn and Dufferin streets, a 'two room building was erected by Messrs. Fraser Blythe for the contract price of ..Here Mr. Latimer, and MisH 'Margaret now Mrs. Fane, of Beaver Lake, Alta., gave many, a Lethbridge young -man and woman their education. In the .popu- lation of the city increased- so that it was necessary to put on some, ad- ditional room which" was done by Mr. Geo.McFarquaher and A. 3. Dove was appointed third teacher. School Built The next year, 1890, it that Ji still larger school would be required so the trustees after con- siderable decided' to build a six room brick school on a portion of the site of the present Central School which had been bough't from the North West Coal and Navigation Co. for additional lots being purchased in 1891, at forty dollars a lot.; William Henderson, now mayor of the city, prepared the plans and ,got the contract for the erection of the six. structure for The school was soon in readiness and WHS occupied- without any opening ceremonies. Old ScrtMl, Labor TwnpU The town council was allowed the use of one the rooms for a coun- cil chamber. The old property was to E. T. Gait, president of the Alberta Railway and Irrigation Co. It later came, into the possession of the Kmpire Club ami was used as a eluh. When that club ceased its exis-Uiiice, the property was acquired by-the Trader ;and Labor Council and the old school building is today well known as the Labor Temple. meeting to discuss the question, it was moved by J. H. Fleetwood, now chairman of the city school Micouded by Mr. H. Martin, wh'o later was member of tho board, tfiat be ed to erect a school across the "track in North Ward immediately, ft iiig been shown by a deputation that waited on the board that there were sixty children in'that section of'the town, plans' were prepared :for a .scliool 26 x 40 and1 an acre lot was purchased for for a school ground. W. F. Gaty built the school, one 'room of which was 'finished and A. .J. Dove1, of ihe Central put in charge. Enlarge School With the trustees had sufiiciont accommodation ior ten years. In Jthey, were forced to consider the matter of more accom- modation. Messrs. Barford, Reed and Flectwoou were a committee to re- port on the advisability of extending the Ceniral School south from the wesi end, malting four rooms more. This} was decided upon. Architect V. W: Dooley prepared plans, the debentures were passed and issued for tenders were called in August- 1903 arid' shortly .after Wm. Oliver, who got the contract, started Stafford, the superintendent of first assistant teacher "employed waa CENTRAL'SCHOOL, SOON TO BE REPLACED BY THE FINE NEW BUILDING af abandoned one on the addition, completing it shortly aiter New Years, 1904. Th'e old part was overhauled 'arid considerable dif- ficulty waa experienced in getting a suitable heating and ventilating sys- tem for th> whole bunding. As a compliment to the chairman of the Barford, who had takon such great interest in the erection of the addition, decided to call the new wing the Barford wing. New School in .North Ward In schoorin the North Ward had become crowded and at midsummer the trustees consider- ed the enlargemeHt of build ing. ?p6licy" in favprv of a which was': in a proposed by Trustee R. Ninimons March 1906, that plans for a four room .brick school iiilhe Nortlv Ward be ordered. The motion' passed w ith the result that the" handsome struc- ture known as Wesiminster--School, was .opened on the- first Monday in January 1906 with all due ceremony. The building, was erected by Smith Brosl A -a; coat rof upon two_acre lots purchased from C. H. Harding. At first only tfro roomfiot this schools were used and some, people feared that the four wquld never be used but inside of two years all were arid over- crowded so that-this year the board of trustees isXaeriously contemplating the addition of four rooms in the spring: J: if.J Bedding purchased the old North Ward school and convened it into a dwelling. Having now departments the trustees ielt that liad suffi- cient accommodation for some time and early in 1907: began :to discuss the advisability of securing property on which to erect a school to take .the place of therold part of the Central which was getting into bad shape. Before anything could be done Tht' "became so serious that it was found necessary upon the formation of a kindergarten class in the midsummer of 1907 to rent the Baptist Church for its accommodation. Property across the street from the Centra] School was secured and Smith -Brom A Wilson at a cost of erected a two room .frame building which for kindergarten' and primary classes the best built and equipped in the province. It was opened in December 1907. The. trustees were, in the mean- time actively engaged in getting plans for a Kig new Central School com- pleted but the increase of the. school population came so fast that it found necessary to build another small-school. Si Accordingly lots were purchased on the of Smith and Courtland streets and a two room movable school was erected by J. Norman Go., ready for occupation at Easter of thi year. Only one room was used but after the present holidays both rooms will be required. In the meantime, the plans for the new Central had prepared by Kilis and Connery, of Toronto, to suit the board with some changes due to Alberta wealher conditions wnich were made by F. B. RoHson, of this city, who is the school board's ar- chitect. He prepared the sptcifi ca- tions debentures hav- ing been sold at a 'good ftfrnre, the board caiiwl for tenders. Smith Bros. A: Wilson will erect the building. Wm. Head and Co. will put in the Pease- Waidon heating and ventilating sys- tem chosen, and McKenvic ft Roy win do the electric wiring. The total cost Northwest Coal Navigation mine, .John Craig, and A. Scott to serve as a board of trustwes. "Mr. Scott was unable to act so 11. F. Greenwood wus elected in his place. Mr. Stafford was chosen chuinnun and Mr. (irueiiwood acted as secret a. ry for a short time until the first when it was started in 1891 but re- Miss Margaret Duff, then: a resident of the As Mrs, Fruyne, she is now residing Ik'uver 'Luke, Altu. Shortly a third teacher was required A. J. was cntploycft, lie wtis .avadc priru'ipul of the North teacher II. L. LaUmcr, was sppoint- ed secretary, u position he helil for several years. In Juno, 1887 Mr. Stafford resigned and the late Rev. Charles licKillop was elected to serve-oyt the term. Mr. Craig IMJ- cominif chairman, ile was succeeded Mven in whcj) U. signed at the end of the same year. .Mr. IJovu afterwards entered the min- istry. A. J. Dove was succeeded at the Central School by Miss Kennedy who stayed only a short tiniir and Hiss Simpson took her place. This estbn able teacher up her position Itonttoy took the place of Rev. Mc-jtuo yours, huer to enter into a lire Killop. In 1389 Dr. Mowburn wiUi partnership with Latimer. A Messrs. Xiven, and H. licntley form- fourth tciii-her being required .Miss ed the boaVd that started the erection! joined the stulT in 18'Jl. THE WESTMINSTER SCHOOL DR. W. S. QALBRAITH of the first brick school which was completed by the hoard of 1890 which was composed of Messm. R. Xiven W. Colpman and II. 'Afncbeth. The next rear C. K. r. C'onylxjarc Mr. NMv'L-n and C'oljJiny.n became chnirman, which position he held in 1892 also. In Ifl92 the numlx-'r of trustees wus increased to five, who were C. p.. fJco. Urdu ner, A. Link an.l H. Martin, which board held ofticc during 1893 except tlmt N. T. succcedrnl Mr. Colpman. Size of the Beard That year n dispute arose as to whether the Leth bridge district co'-sld in 1801 it was decided to nmke a union High and Public School, and us Mr. LatimcM-'s quulilirutums wen; not high enough U. Ji. Sid ley was appointed master of the high school department and afterwards nuule principal of the union .school. "in ho resignwl and was succeeded hy .1. A. Munro from Exeter, Out., who, however, hn.1 to give up in u. fcw months on account of ilNiealin and K. AV. ot Calgary fol- lowcd, holding the ypositton until 1895 when he resignexl. Mr. v-ia is now a prominent Edmonton, being mayor oi the the year of the the province. be designated a "Town School inauguration- "1'he nect i Sitnni'Jiuf 1 trict" entitlcil to five members on the board or a "School District" with only three The ad- vice of the Department of 1'uMic .In- struction at Regina lega! atl- vtco given by W. A. Clalliher now M. i'. for Kootenay was in favor" of the latter term and board. The members of the new hoard the with unexpired terms, viz.. Messrs, lire-inner, Link, and vho was electwl chnirman. The next ear the Board increased to five and vas composcil of John Bruce, A. J. .ink, A. Gallihnr, "Robt. Kipley i ml Goo. Hremner That Jlr. Hremncr. and was ucceeded by Thos. McNabb, and lobt. Ximmons was in the >lace of John Bruee, resignwl. The next year fJco. Rremner was again An the board-and T. Macleod was again elected liiit resigned in May, by A. Cotton, Dur- ng 18b8r 1900 A'.-.I. tank was chairman. T. F. Kirkham an( Robert Hipley were elected In and year H. "Macbeth lin became a of the board vice A. Gotten resigned. The board ns thus held ofnce ilurfng 1900. In 1901 J. n. neetwootl, the present chairman, and W. L. Har die entered" the., board and H. Mac who is at present the local rcpre- putative in the Alberta Legislature and the Liberal candidate for the louse of Commons. Mr. Siminoris iccupiod tho position until mUlsum- ner of LB99 wlicn he started to stu- ly law. His' successor was; -i r McC'aig, MtA., who camfi fronv I'eter- Ont. Mr. ilcCaig jriiicipal until February, w.heii was appointed school When "the Allxirta government the provindal Normal School in 1900, Jlr. McCnig was appointed assistant principal which position he held for a short time only, being made superintendent of the.Edmon- Lon city schools, which he holds at present. lie is acknowledg- ed to be -one. of the. lending educa- tionists of the province. Ills successor was ,W_ A. ITumlitori who still holds the position, and is known throughout the Xeou'ntry as one of the most successful prlniclpals in TEe joincxl the Lethbradge stalY in September, 1890 as first as- sistant to Mr. McCuig. being placed in charge of the entrance claw afterwards sharing with .the princi- pal the work of the 'high scho9l de- partment. During the administration of these three principals the schools have of bmMing about which with furnishing will make a total cost of nearly one hundred thousand dollars. Central The new Central School that is now in the course of erection will bs one of which the people may well be proud.. Not'in all Western Canada, not.even excepting the city of Win- nipeg, will there be a larger or more modern public school building. The building is to be a three storey struc- ture with full basement. It will con- tain twelve teaching classrooras. fine Jarge corridors, plenty of small- er rooms tor offices library etc. and an auditorium occupying the whole of the third storey. The length o? the building is 161 feet 6 inches and the width 65 feet. It will face on Coutts St. but the rear of the building facing on Bnrdcttu St. will be identical with the front. It will be built of pressed brick trimmed with Bedford stone. The i entrances will have polished marble coromns and arches of Bedford stone. The first and second are the same each having six class rooms 25 x 38 by 13 feet high, with cloak rooms thmr ge corridors and four rfioras for offices, flc. The lighting and vcntjlnlion will be as perfect as it is possible to SCHOOL TRUSTEE OLIVER D. AUSTIN drinking fountains in the corridors of tnch floor. The auditorium is 70 x 51 with 15 foot coiling and will seat six hun- dred people. At the ends will be an- terooms, dressing rooms, and store- rooms. In the basement are the heating rooms and the lavatories, which are equipped with the most modern lix- tnrrs, perfectly- sanitary and with floors of Ajax plastic The heating and ventilating will bit clone by the latest Peaso-Waldon natural draft system, by which the air in ev- ery part of the building is chanped ten to twelve times an hour. As an aid to ventilation in sluggish weath- er there is a large fan driven by an electric motor. As far as the heat ing ts concerned, it is remarkably cheap and satisfactory, there bi'ing absolutely no waste, the heat given off by the surface of the boilers and all parts of the plant being used for the rooms. K. R. Kolfson is the ar- chitect in charge ami Smith Bros. Wilson have the contract for its erec- tion. The school will be thoroughly in ever particular making it beyond a doubt, the best school in Western Canada. THE TRUSTEE BOARDS Mony of Lethbniigc's busiest men have found time to devote a good deal of attention to the affairs of the schools. When Protestant public Public "School District No, 51 was organized in 1886, the go- both was elected cbAinnan. The next'made the trustee year Job Heed was elected and JI. board at different times having' pasa- Barfoixl Ixxran.ie ..chairman, holding resolutions of cougriitnlatioii nnd the ofJice until the close of 1905. NU-" apprectHtion of their work. -And to- merous chnnges took place in-1.903.'day it is gencrnlly acknowledged .that C. W. Lowther nnd M.. .Yonng. now there is no school In the prbyinee Sheriff Young, were electcil hut the. managed with greater efficiency and former immediately resigned. 0. W.'success than the Lethliridgc schools, liobin-son wats elected but his sent of-which A. ITnmilton is the prc- was vacateil because of alisencrc and siding genius. NV. D. L. Ilnrdie was ngnin elected. One of the greatest hindrances to Dr. Oalbraith succeedcnl Job Ueed in Lhe progress of education in the West 190-1 and on the board ever jis the constant nnd frequent changes since. The next yenr V. W. Dooley of teachers. Lethbridge until recent- ftiid R. Niininons ;vore elected. This'ly has had no Ixsttcr luck than the board built the Westminster School.' schools of other.places. These short Upon Mr. Hat-ford's retirement in terms of service have been particu- O. TT. .Tohnston was elected.'Inrly frecjuent among the ladies who nnd re-elected for 1908. This'have been appointed to the staff. Du- ycar .T. H. Iwcnmc chair-! ring the two years of Mr. mnn, a position he continues to hold, absence. 1891-1803, his place was At the- first meeting of the 1906 taken by Wm. TCose, who remained, board, the new chairman, on behalf] .on the'stuff until tSOij. .lie is now of the bonrd presentexl Mr. Itarford practicing medicine nt C.leichen. with a framed collection of photos! Alta. Miss White -.vns on of the retiring hoard as an expres- staff for a year and n hah" sion of tho appreciation of his val- was succeeded Ta- ucd servircs during the eight years den, who stayed until 1895. Her he TVO-S on the board. The 1907! successor, Miss Chisholm, 1 oanl included Messrs. F'ect.wood.l Gafbraith, Johnston. M. Freeman' and TT. Macbeth. The first two re signet! at the end of the year and G. TT. Johnston, Dr. Dr. J. S. Stewart and D. AusUn were elected to complete the lioimf w.ith Mr. Fleet wood, forming the board now in office. (Continued on Next have them. There will be sanitary and ventilating plant, two large play verr.rncr.t npposnted the Ir.te Willi THE TEACHERS, PAST AND PRESENT The Lcthbritlge schools have almost Invariably blessed with n strong staff of teachers. Very occasionally s occasion arisen detna'mltnx any action on tluv part of the School lo get rid of any teacher. B. .L, Lratimer, the that young had, stayed with the school for twelve yca from ISSfi to 1803. except for three months leave of absence, ri'.ring v.hieh A. B. Stafford supplied for him. and for two years iwtweon .180 5 nnd 1803. During several years of his engagement he acted as secretary for tho hoard. Mr. is now a prosperous real estate dealer in Victoria, R.C.. having ix-en previous- ly editor of papers in Man. and Lacombe, Alta. As mentioned, the first J. M. FLEETWOOO Chairman Public SchWl ;