Lethbridge Herald, The (Newspaper) - February 28, 1975, Lethbridge, Alberta
The LetHbridge Herald LETHBRIDGE, ALBERTA, FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 28, 1975 15 Cents London train crash kills 20 passengers Pucker power Speaking of wooing voters, at least two party leaders were all puckered up when they came to the South this week. NDP Leader Grant Notley, on the left (so to was all puckered up about the evils of the Syncrude project when he addressed a nomination meeting for Lethbridge West. Conservative Premier Peter Lougheed, on the right (so to offered his million pucker for an irrigation aid announcement at a Taber rally Thursday night. Toronto posties return to work By THE CANADIAN PRESS About 250 striking postal maintenance workers return- ed to their jobs in Toronto to- day as the strike by federal blue-collar workers entered its 12th day The maintenance workers, members of the Public Ser- vice Alliance of Canada voted Thursday to remove picket lines at Toron- to's main terminal which handles about 50 per cent of the country's mail. But Mike Lyons, regional representative of the PSAC, which is deadlocked in a wage dispute with the federal treasury board, warned citizens not to use the mails. He said the workers' return may be temporary and ser- vice might be disrupted again at any time. Mr. Lyons said the decision to lift the picket lines was taken in accordance with the union's policy to rotate the strikes. The fate of national and international mail remains precarious, however, due to a continuing strike by 250 other PSAC workers at Toronto International Airport. Inside 'n was halfway along Ihe assembly Una, whan a layoff call was announced.' 32 Pages Classified........28-31 Comics............26 Comment...........4 ....17-19 Family.........20, 21 Markets...........27 Sports...........14-16 Theatres...........13 Travel............. 22 TV...........7-10, 12 Weather............3 At Home ...........6 Low tonight 20 (-7C) high Sat. 40 cloudy periods. Cambodians retreat from key positions Kidnappers seek release of anarchists from jail BERLIN (AP) Kid- nappers of West Berlin mayoral candidate Peter Lorenz threatened today to kill him unless six jailed anarchists are released within 24 hours, authorities said. A letter was sent to a Ger- man news agency setting down a rigid timetable for the prisoners' release and flight to freedom. It said unless the demands were met Lorenz would share the fate of Guenter von Drenk- mann, the West Berlin chief judge who was slain last No- vember. The letter staling the de- mands was accompanied by a picture of Lorenz with a sign, "Prisoner of the Second of June Movement." It was the first word on Lo- renz, the Christian Democratic candidate in Sun- day's elections, since he was seized Thursday.' The Second of June Move- ment is a band of anarchists who named their group for the day in 1967 when student Benno Ohnesorg was shot to death during a leftist demonstration in West Berlin. Police said the group is al- leged to have killed an anarch- ist last year after he gave in- formation to the police. The letter demanded the re- lease of Horst Mahler, a former lawyer and a leading figure in the early days of the leftist anarchist movement. PHNOM PENH (AP) The Cambodian army abandoned two key positions today five miles northeast and 12 miles west of Phnom Penh after heavy shelling and ground at- tacks, military sources and field reports said. Government troops fled from Tuol Leap, 12 miles west of the Cambodian capital, and Prek Luong, five miles northeast of the city on the other side of the Mekong River. Both positions have been isolated for months. But military analysts said the fall of Tuol Leap opened the way for the Khmer Rouge in- surgents to push closer to Phnom Penh airport, west of the city, where a U.S. airlift is delivering the only sizable shipments of ammunition and rice to reach the besieged city. Field reports said the rebels also attacked three besieged outposts 15 miles west of Phnom Penh. Rocket and artillery attacks on Phnom Penh and the air- port dropped off slightly, with 12 rounds fired during the night. One person was killed and six were wounded, military sources said. About 500 government troops pulled out of Prek Luong after heavy attacks that began during the night and continued today. Some swam the river and others were picked up by navy boats. It was the closest fighting to Phnom Penh since the early days of the insurgents' dry- season offensive that began Jan. 1. The insurgents broke through the government lines during the night, and occupied half the village. There was hand-to-hand fighting, with five government soldiers killed, 50 wounded and 60 mis- sing, according to initial reports. Military sources said the government rushed rein- forcements to Prek Luong, but they could not check the Khmer Houge. Farmers urged to plant more major grain crops OTTAWA (CP) Concern over reduced grain stocks has prompted the Canadian wheat board to call for increased plan- tings of the major crops this year, Otto Lang announced today. Mr. Lang, minister responsible for the wheat board, made the announcement at the same time as he outlined initial grain payments for the 1975-76 crop year that are essentially the same as for the last two years. A spokesman said this is because current market trends are uncertain. Should conditions warrant later in the year, there would be an interim payment similar to those in the last two years. Mr. Lang is calling on farmers to plant 26 million acres of wheat, including 2.5 million of Durum. The total is up 12 per cent from last year's 19.3 million acres, which included three million of Durum. Premier offers irrigation plan to South voters LONDON (CP) A packed subway train crashed "like a battering ram" through the protective barriers of a station in the financial district at the height of the morning rush hour today and slammed into a tunnel wall, killing 20 passengers and injuring 73, of- ficials said. It was the worst wreck in the 112-year history of the London subway, the world's oldest. Authorities said a policewoman and a man were trapped in the wreckage alive and that rescue workers were battling to free them. One young girl who sur- vived the crash had a metal pin driven through both legs. Firemen used acetylene torches to cut through one of the twisted coaches to pull out bodies. The bodies were in three front cars that were badly smashed. "Two of the coaches are concerlinaed in an area where one coach would nor- mally Police Com- mander Ernest Bright said. Authorities said they feared the death toll would rise. Lon- don's worst previous subway wreck occurred in 1953 when 12 persons were killed, and 45 were injured. Authorities said it was not immediately known what caused the crash of the six-coach train today. The crash occurred at Moorgate Station in London's financial district, where hundreds of thousands of com- muters work. The train plow- ed through the buffers at a.m., during the busiest period of the morning rush, when subway trains are always crammed with passen- gers. Police sealed off roads to give emergency traffic fast access to the scene and appealed through loud speakers for the public to keep away. But hundreds of by- standers crowded onto raised sidewalks to watch as scores of ambulances and fire trucks poured into the area. London cabs were com- mandeered to rush nurses through the city. Office workers lined up outside the station and volunteered to give blood. Shortly after the wreck, about 100 workmen began fighting their way through the tangled wreckage with metal- cutting equipment to reach trapped passengers. A police spokesman said the train overran the platform and went into a blind tunnel. "Two coaches are in that tunnel and the third coach has ridden up on the back of the he said. Moorgate station workers said the train ran through the buffers at the end of the track and then hit the wall at the end of the tunnel. Electric power to the track was cut off immediately and rescue workers went in. "It could be quite a long a police spokesman said. "We have to work from the first coach backward." The London subway system covers 252 miles, 99 of them underground. During the Se- cond World War, its un- derground stations and cor- ridors were used as public shelters from night bombing raids. The train that crashed today was the a.m. from Drayton Park on the northern line section. It stopped at several stations, including Highbury and Islington in north London, and should have terminated at Moorgate. By GEORGE STEPHENSON Herald Staff Writer -TABER A ?200 million government investment in Southern Alberta irrigation was promised here Thursday by Premier Peter Lougheed. The first major promise of the 14-day-old Alberta election campaign was made in the riding of Taber-Warner be- ing contested by Social Credit Leader Werner Schmidt and Conservative Bob Bogle. To be made over 10 years and taken from the Alberta Heritage Savings Trust Fund, the investment should nearly double Alberta's irrigation acreage, Mr. Lougheed told 500 people at the Tories' first Southern Alberta rally. It will "have a major positive impact on the economic viability of our rural areas in Southern Alber- he said. One reason he called the election to ask Albertans if they agree with the government salting money away in the trust fund, the premier said. "The heritage trust fund is to be there when the oil wells aren't, and we thought we had better say, 'Do Albertans agree with "Funds invested for capital irrigation works means the preservation and conservation of a valuable resource water for use not only in Seen and heard About town Four-year-old Karen Fletcher, Magrath, saying if she had two pets she'd like to name them Joan and Charlie after'her aunt and uncle Sandy Morris and Kalhy Hoyt almost resorting to a fencing match during a fondue party. food production, but in mak- ing available to our residents the necessary domestic water supplies and municipal water he said. The announcement, made'in the heart of irrigation country, 30 miles east of Lethbridge, follows by five months a Socred plan that would provide 521X1 million in low-interest loans during the next decade for irrigation. Details of the Conservative scheme were not announced at Thursday's rally. Co- operation of the irrigation dis- tricts, local governments and individual farmers will be needed for the plan to work, Mr. Lougheed said. The premiar said the invest- ment "ties in ideally with our industrial strategy for the province and for further food processing here at home. "Further processing not only adds value to the product, provides jobs for our young people, challenges for our businessmen, but is one way in which we can offset the problems of he said. "These are our goals and objectives for the irriga- tion areas of Southern Alber- ta." The government has already drafted a position paper to suggest where Alberta Heritage funds should go, Mr Lougheed told a press conference this morning. Ad- ditional position papers for investment of the heritage fund in other areas will be an- nounced as the campaign progresses. The irrigation paper will be presented soon after the legislature reconvenes in mid- May, if the government is re- elected. The government would then ask for suggestions on the proposals from irrigation dis- tricts and farm groups, and hope to take some action at the fall session. Munro's friends' conduct 'suspect' Syncrude to cost Ottawa million in 1975 By JEFF CARRUTHERS Herald Ottawa Bureau OTTAWA The federal government estimates it will spend million during 1975 to fulfil its 15 'per cent interest in the billion Syncrude Canada Ltd. oil sands extraction plant, ac- cording to Ottawa sources. The estimate, to be includ- ed in government supplmen- tary spending estimates scheduled for tabling before Parliament on Monday, includes Ottawa's costs dur- ing fiscal year 1974-75 after the pull-out of Atlantic Richfield Canada Ltd. from the Syncrude joint venture, Ottawa's 15 per cent share of operating costs during the rest of 1975, and "calch-up" costs to give Ottawa a share in funds already invested by oil companies in Syncrude. A special three-man task force established quietly by Ottawa three weeks ago is working feverishly to develop a binding, written agreement by the end of March on the for- mal participation of the federal government, Ontario and Alberta with the three remaining private oil companies in the con- troversial billion Syncrude project. The Syncrude participation a9reemenl needs to be accepted and signed by the six participants by the end of March so that Ottawa can legally start contributing its 15 per cent of costs incurred through March 31, before the fiscal year runs out. The (138 million estimated expenditure for 1975 is 46 per- cent of the estimated MOO million federal share in the Syncrude project if the costs remain within the billion Syncrude estimate. A reason for the large initial payment is that the new part- ners, Ottawa, Alberta and On- tario, are in effect having to "catch up" with the three re- maining oil companies in in- vesting in the Syncrude pro- ject. By rough estimates, the original partners had sunk about million into the pro- ject up to Dec. 31, 1974. Ontario, Alberta and Ot- tawa would have to contribute roughly million, either as a lump sum or in a series of payments during 1975, just to obtain their joint 30 per cent interest in the project costs up to the end of 1974. Ottawa's' share of this "catch up" investment would amount to about Still in dispute is the status of Atlantic Richfield's 148 million interest in the project through the end of December. OTTAWA (CP) While Labor Minister John Munro was absent from the Com- mons Thursday, new questions were raised about the minister and two acquain- tances as the furor over dredging contracts continued boiling. Transport Minister Jean Marchand said in the Com- mons that Joseph Lanza, Mr. Munro's former campaign manager, was not reappointed to the Hamilton Harbor Com- mission because of suspicions about his conduct. The same was true of another man whom he later said was Delbert Hickey. Tom Cossilt (PC-Leeds) requested information from the government on whether Mr. Munro was involved in the "illegal entry of an inadmissi- ble person" into Canada. Mr. Munro was staying with Ottawa friends and seeking medical attention, a labor de- partment spokesman said. Aides were trying to persuade him to take a holiday in the south. The labor minister said Wednesday he would take a few days off. Ford extends WASHINGTON (AP) President Ford announced to- day "a final extension" of his clemency program for Vietnam-era draft evaders and deserters until March 31. The president told clemency board chairman Charles Goo- dell that "there will be no fur- ther extensions" of the pro- gram, put into effect last Sep- tember to provide clemency for thousands of young men who were involved in draft evasion or desertion.