Internet Payments

Secure & Reliable

Your data is encrypted and secure with us.
VeraSafe Security Seal

Lethbridge Herald Newspaper Archives

- Page 7

Join us for 7 days to view your results

Enter your details to get started

or Login

What will you discover?

  • 108,666,265 Obituaries
  • 86,129,063 Archives
  • Birth & Marriages
  • Arrests & legal notices
  • And so much more
Issue Date:
Pages Available: 63

Search All United States newspapers

Research your ancestors and family tree, historical events, famous people and so much more!

Browse U.S. Newspaper Archives

Select the state you are looking for from the map or the list below

OCR Text

Lethbridge Herald, The (Newspaper) - February 27, 1909, Lethbridge, Alberta LETHBRIDGE HEBALD SPECIAL PUBLICITY NUMBER IMPERIAL BANK OF CANADA ESTABLISHED 18T5 CAPITAL PAID UP REST- D. R. WILKIE President HON. ROBT. JAFFRAY Vice-President HEAD OFFICE, TORONTO A branch of the Bank will be opened in the BEGIN BLOCK, ROUND STREET, LETHBRIDGE, on or about 10th March, 1909. The most careful attention will be given to all business entrusted to the Bank. SAVINGS allowed on Deposits of and upwards at current rates from date of deposit D. R. WILKIE General Manager MUNICIPAL DEVELOPMENT IN By W.CIVES AT tlie beginning of the year 1908, the Courcil of the City of Lethbridge. facefi tlie problem of extreme need for civic improvements of an extensive nature, and a closed money market. Financial conditions compelled, the Council to delay com- mencement of proposed improvements, but a small programme was prepared, added to, from time to time during the year, resulted in most substantial of a permanent character that would enable future administrations, of the city to add to them from time' to -time, as. the city's finances permit, and as the improvements, are required, During 1908i feet of water mains were added .to the city's system, together with feet of sewer 'mains', at a '.total cost Tt' was deemed "advisable to delay no longer in ing- aipermanei.it foundation upon which the -City, should be built, and for 'such purp'ose, 'about 8 miles of streets, were brought to with plank ;curbings and was achieved at an expenditure and -added to this, 4 miles of ceineut sidewalk were varying- .in width from six to eighteen .jieftt-. at H, cost of The problem of the water supply required to be handled at once, on account of the Increasing 'consumption in the City, and for such purpose the erection of a new Pipe, with aL capacity of gallons, ami twelve inch force is now well on' the way to completion, which will cost and the City wall then be in A position of being assured of an ample supply of water for a population oi people. r A, new Fire Hall has been erected at an expenditiire of will not only accommodate the city's fire appar- atus. but for the" present, and until'the city building is erected. will reontain 5the city offices! ,...A market was also initiated, where the business is constant- ly increasing, and wheie those who take advantage of it have been able to muteriallr- reduce the cost of: living in the Citv. NEW BUSINESS BLOCKS OF 19O8 The Stafford 8t A brick building including th foundation 50 s 80 with pressec brick facings. The Stafford Eflock contains two stores .down stairs eacn 21 s 78 with-stair leading up to the fifteen office rooms on the second floor at the right of the bmlcling- work throughout the Building is of cedar in the natural finish. In laying out the offices particular effort was made to give each of- fice the greatest possible amouni ptrlignt, and a spacious hall at the head of the in this respect. The block has an eight foot basement the full length of the stores., well lighted street byJuxfer- prisms, with "concrete floors i jind'in the basement'is a hot water THE NCW LCTHtftlDGE FIRE HALL plant. The outside appearance is handsome gal- vanized iron cornices being used at the first floor the top of for jmish and decoration. F. B. Rolf sen was the architect. Bryan St. A brick Kuilding including 'pundation 50 x 72, and contain- ng two stores, with "concrete ioors and lighted by .luxfer )risms. Heavy galvanized iron cornices are.placed on the r first floor and on the top of the build- 'ing. The structure is of steel frame, making the building al- most fire-proof. The interior woodwork is cedar in the natural finish. 'The entrance to the office of the Bryan Block is on Duf- ferin St., and the offices them- selves are well lighted and have good ventilating arrangements. F. B. Rolf sen was the architect. Begin St. An all brick two-storey build- ing 25 x 60.. with- pressed brick front and buff Bedford limestone trimmings with moulded comi- ties. The Begin 'Blpck contains one store on the main floor and has a 8 ft. 6 in. high with concrete floor. The first, floor contains four, double offices handsomely finished. The office windows on the first floor are of 5 ft. z 6 ft. plate glass with transoms. The interior woodwork is fir in the natural finish. The building is heated by steam. B. BoWwa was the architect. .Shepherd St.., By the arrangement of the windows on the main the Shepherd Block will contain one handsomest stores in Lethbridge. The building is 25 x -75, is all Ibrick and has a full basement 7 1-2 it. high. On the first floor are ten office rooms well lighted and finished in tural wood. The window on the ground floor is especially strik- semi-circular, and the.transom above the window is handsomely wrought coppered glass. The entrances, to the store and the upper offices are on either side of the window. 'F. B. Rolf sen was the architect. Addition to the Conybeare Block Round St. Owing Jo the rapid growth of Conybeare. Ue Alexandra restaurant and Skeith Tflley. On the floor there is a large hall for and about half doz- en offices. C. Begin has under coasfa'uc tity a- trj- fine loolang uiici: block of two storeys on Round St. next to the: Bentley Co. j t bas au artistic front of stone far- ings. Une of the tenants of tj.-o arround floor will be 'the Impe al i3ank. local Chinamen invest- ed their savings ia brick blocks In 1908. THE RAINFALL FOR The precipitation in by months jc January February.......... March- April.......... May June......... August .September November 4t December 1908. inches 0.27 0.75 1.10 0.67 2.78 7.64 0.41- 0.89 0.73 '-1.19' .0.02 0.25 the law firm .of Tones, it was necessary to build in-aH brick two" storey addition at the rear of the present offices on the first floor, the first floor. Iso making" morev accommoda- ton for the Hub Caie and its apidly The 'building is steam heated and has a high basement "the full length and concrete floor. .The interior woodwork is of cedar' in the na- tural finish. f F. B. Rolf sen was the architect. The Addition to the Macdonald Block. The Macdonald Block is one of the finest-business-blocks in the city. Probably its location at the corner of Redpath and Round St. is the best in the city. In August last the large store was extended and a storey .added to the whole building. The building now contains twelve large comfortable offices and the ground floor accommodates tfie large stock of the A. McDonald Co. J. A. McDonald was the architect. A Crabb St. Block. C. B. Bowman opened up Crabb St. as a business centre when he erected his trim little block in May last. The block is occupied by the Woodhall Da- vidson company and the White Furniture Company. J. A. Mc- Donald designed the building. For the previous five years the record has v 1902...... ....27.91 1903 1904 ......11.40 1905............. ;...13.78 1906 ....22-48 1907.......... ..15.50 if. W. C. SIMMONS, EX-M.P.P. For Lethbridge district if. if. if. if. ALBION RIDGE CROPS; E. D. HARRISON'S NEW RESI DENCE The crop statistics from Al- bion Ridge district which em- braces the north ht.lt of Township? M, RangeT 22, are follows for Number of acres cropped, I.4W. Number of bushels wheat from 23jfOO. Number "of bushels ef Toats from 300 acres, Number of bushels of flax from 40 acres, I'iBO. Number of bushels of Bar- ley from 50 acres, There are about seeded to fall wheat. The average given above would ba as Wheat, nearly 22 Oats, 30 bushels. Flax, 4 bushels. Barley, 20 bushels. Potatoes, 125 bushels. J'he Oddfellows erected a two- block on KOUTK! St. on the north corner of The ground floor is occupied by THC NEW CITY MARKET ;