Lethbridge Herald (Newspaper) - February 26, 1973, Lethbridge, Alberta
Alberta cabinet minister killed on 'death road' EDSON (CP) - Len Werry, provincial minister of telephones, was killed Sunday morning in a car-truck collision nine miles west of here, on a sharp curve described by police as "dangerous at the best of times." Chief Coroner M. M. Cantor has ordered an inquest. The 45-year-old cabinet minister, who was among the original six Progressive' Conservative members in the Alberta legislature, died when his east-bound car collided with a truck on Highway 16. The highway was icy at the time of the accident - 9:15 a.m. MST. He was the third provincial cabinet member to die in a car-truck collision on that highway. Social Credit agriculture Minster David Ure of Red Deer was killed in a head-on collision with a truck 40 miles west of Edmonton in 1953. And .Norman Willmore of Edson, Social Credit minister of lands and forests, died in a head-on collision with a truck 70 miles west of Edmonton in 1965. Four of Mr. Werry's children were in the car, his daughter, Charlen 16, was taken to hospital here with undetermined chest injuries. She was transferred Sunday night to University Hospital in Edmonton, 120 miles west of here. Mr. Werry's sons Brian 14, and twins Sheldon and Spencer, 10. were released from hospital after treatment for minor injuries. Another son, Leonard Bruce, was at home in Edmonton with Mrs. Werry. The driver of the truck, Wen-dal Zachow, 27, of Edmonton, was not injured. Reports indicated Mr. Werry's vehicle apparently slid across the lane, striking the rear wheels of the 72,000-pound truck. The truck's rear tandem wheels were severed. Mr. Werry's car was demolished and the minister died instantly. Born in Cereal, about 95 miles north of Medicine Hat, Mr. Werry moved to Calgary with his parents when he was eight years old. He attended school there and obtained an industrial accounting degree. He served in the Royal Canadian Navy for Vh years and worked for the Department of National Revenue as a business tax assessor for another 3'/2 years. In 1963 he went into business as a public accountant and partner in Werry, Young and Co. At the time of his death Mr. Werry was Progressive Conservative MLA for Calgary Foothills. In Edmonton, Premier Peter Lougheed expressed deep sorrow and said he would propose that the legislature rise and adjourn for the day today in respect for Mr. Werry. "Len Werry was one of the most human and kind men I have ever had the privilege, to know," said the premier. "We extend our deepest sympathy to Mr. Werry's family." James Henderson Social Credit house leader, also extended his sympathy. "I think I could truthfully say that Len was well-liked by everyone," said Mr. Henderson. Former premier Harry Strom, who recently resigned as Social Credit leader, said he was "very sorry to hear of Mr. Werry's untimely death." LEN WERRY The LetlibrUkje Herald VOL. LXVI - No. 65 LETHBRIDGE, ALBERTA, MONDAY, FEBRUARY 26, 1973 PRICE: 10 CENTS THREE SECTIONS - 24 PAGES Canada threatens peac Alberta MP under fire By PAUL JACKSON Herald Ottawa Bureau . OTTAWA - An Alberta MP has come under vigorous attack by the Eastern political establishment simply because he wants Western Canada to get a fair deal when it comes to federal spending. The battle, which cuts across party lines, has made front page news in the nation's capital. It all began when Doug Roche (PC - Edmonton Strathcona) sawjuthe federal government's spending plans for 1973-74 which were released early last week. The plans revealed that two federal departments, public works and transport, would pump more money into the individual provinces of Ontario and Quebec in the coming year than into the entire four Western provinces combined. What's more, according to the Liberal government's own figures, the public works department planned to spend more money in the city of Ottawa alone than in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, the Yukon and the Northwest Territories combined. And that's despite Prime Minister Pierre Elliott Trudeau's pledge that government should be decentra-lized as much as possible. Public Woi-ks Minister Jean-Eudes Dube, when tackled by Mr. Roche in Parliament, explained that while the Trudeau government still believed in giving the West a fair shake of the stick in principle, when it came to facts it couldn't be done. Senator Donald Cameron, the independent Liberal from Alberta, was dismayed when he saw the figures. He commented that with a situation such as this no wonder Mr. Trudeau can't win seats in the West. ', Water, water everywhere, That was the story Saturday at the annual Leth-bridge hose coupling competition, a speed drill for firefighters. Twenty-seven teams competed. Here, George White of the Claresholm Safeway Mobile Homes fire department gets a little wet after a coupling between two pieces of hose fails to withstand the 50 pounds pressure. The aggregate winner was the Lethbridge fire department No. 1 team. PARIS (CP) - North Vietnam and the Viet Cong opposed today the Canadian suggestion that the 13-party Vietnam peace conference be made the continuing political authority to which the truce observers can report. As the first plenary session ended, spokesmen for the two Communist groups told reporters that a continuing political authority is unnecessary and inappropriate. Informants said China took the same view but suggested the question still is open to negotiation. The plenary session, at which External Affairs Minister Mitchell Sharp of Canada presided, was adjourned until Tuesday to allow extensive bilateral negotiations between Foreign Minister Nguyen Duy-Trinh of North Vietnam and U.S. State Secretary William Rogers on a draft declaration to guarantee Vietnamese peace. Canada and Poland will take turns presiding over the plenary sessions without the official title of co-chairmen. A spokesman for North Vietnam said the peace declaration may be ready for signing by Friday. Sharp, who initially wanted the UN Security Council to be selected as the continuing political authority, offered the idea of the conference becoming that authority when it became clear that the Communist side strongly opposed the UN channel. He got limited support from Pilot's licence produced From AP-REUTEIt TEL AVIV (CP) - The Israeli government said today that the French captain of a Libyan Boeing 727 airliner forced down by Israeli figher planes in the Sinai desert last Wednesday was not licensed to fly the trijet 727. However, Air France today produced the pilot's licence which showed he was authorized to fly a Boeing 727. The pilot, Captain Jacques Bourges, was on loan to the Libyan airliner by Air France. Guy Hoyet, Air France's representative here, issued a statement regretting that an earlier report on Bourges's licence had been given to the press without being checked with the airline. The earlier report, from the Prisoner release reports differ Inside Classified .. Comics ____ Comment .. District .. . Family .. � Local News Markets .. Sports .. , Theatres ... TV....... . 16-19 ... 35 .... 4 . 3, 9 13 11, 12 ... 20 .. 6-8 .... 5 .... 5 Weather......2 LOW TONIGHT 25, HIGH TUES. 35; SUNNY, MILD From AP-REUTER SAIGON (CP) - There were conflicting reports today on whether the release of United States prisoners of war would go ahead on schedule Tuesday. The Associated Press quoted a North Vietnamese spokesman as saying no prisoners will be released Tuesday. Reuters news agency quoted ceasefire sources as saying the release will be made by Tuesday's deadline. U.S. STILL HOPEFUL But a U.S. official told reporters there was still a "distinct possibility" of about 140 Americans being released Tuesday. North Vietnam and the Viet Ceng handed over 143 American prisoners on Feb. 12, 15 days after the signing of the cease-lire agreement in Paris, and the United States expected the release of another group of the same size Tuesday, 15 days after the first transfer. Twenty more U.S. PoW's were handed over in Hanoi on Feb. 18, but this was billed as a gesture of appreciation for the visit of U.S. presidential adviser Henry Kissinger. The Communists still hold 407 servicemen and 15 civilians in North and South Vietnam and Laos, Hanoi says. Meanwhile, South Vietnam charged that the North Vietnamese had established three surface-to-air missile sites just below the demilitarized zone in violation of the ceasefire, and informed sources said the sites had been photographed by U.S. reconnaissance planes. Tliis was the first word that American reconnaissance flights are continuing over South Vietnam, U.S. sources said that While the ceasefire agreement specifically prohibits such flights over North Vietnam. Israeli government press office, said Bourges's licence did not list the 727. Bourges was among the 106 persons who died in the disaster. Premier Golda Meir said as she left for the United States today that she thought the downing of the airliner would have no effect on her talks with President Nixon. Foreign Minister Abba Eban told reporters that Mrs. Meir will give top priority in Washington to the possibility of "proximity" peace talks with the Arabs. Under this formula, the Israelis and Arabs would meet separately and alternately with a neutral negotiator who would act as a go-between. The procedure was tried by Gunnar Jarring, the United Nations mediator for the Middle East, but was not successful. The government also announced that it is ready to make payments to the families of the persons killed in the crash and to the other seven aboard the plane, who were injured. But it refused to use the word "compensation" because that would imply guilt for the downing of the plane. ERRORS BLAMED Defence Minister Moshe Da-yan has said the Israelis misinterpreted the situation but errors by the pilot and the Cairo air control centre also were to blame in the downing of the airliner. In Washington, meanwhile, a leading expert on the Middle East said the air tragedy has not jeopardized the peace efforts in the area. 'We think the dors of diplomacy are still open,' Joseph Sisco, assistant secretary of state fur Near Eastern and South Asian affairs, said in a broadcast interview. Rogers and French Foreign Minister Maurice Schumann. Rogers voiced confidence that the ceasefire would be maintained and suggested a simple mechanism should exist for reconvening the conference if violations occurred. Sharp warned that unless some form of continuing political authority is approved, Canada will withdraw from the observer force. But to demonstrate Canada's responsibility, he said, the original Canadian withdrawal deadline set for March 30 would be extended until April 30 to provide sufficient time for selection of a replacement. Foreign Minister Chi Peng-Fei told the conference that China would respect the Vietnam ceasefire agreement and is ready to work with all parties to keep the peace. In offering his draft resolution for a continuing political authority, Sharp proposed that UN Secretary-General Kurt Wald-heim should play a limited role of reconvening the conference after receiving ICCS reports. Shrap's resolution called on Waldheim to reconvene the conference on any of the following conditions: -On a request from the ICCS, -On a request from either the four-party Joint Military commission (JMC) of the two-party Joint Military Commission, -On formal request from five members of the conference, excluding Waldheim himself, -If it is shown that two-thirds of the conference members, again excluding Waldheim, consider the conference should be reconvened. Sharp said the head of the Canadian ICCS delegation in Vietnam told him late last week that the current ceasefire has not been effective throughout South Vietnam and that the four - power JMC has not operated effectively. Nine ersons die Resina fire S�en and heard About town RETIRING Jim Cousins bubbling over on his 65th birthday because the government gave him a raise in (pension) pay . . . Canadian chamber president John Ellis describing a new credit plan: "There's no down payment and nothing monthly until the whole family is on welfare." REGINA (CP) - As police today still were trying to identify two of the nine victims of Sunday night's fire in a downtown apartment building, they said the total could have been higher. The blaze in the old brick-faced building was reported at about 10:40 p.m. and quick action by patrol Constable Keith Ball, who turned in the alarm, and two young civilians, was credited with saving lives. The fire in the 46-suite Rose-lyn Apartment at 2025 Rose St. was the second in an apartment on the street in five months. A fire in the 28 - suite Regina Court at 2061 Rose St. last October claimed two victims. Police withheld names but said two of the dead were a young couple, believed in their 20s. who were married Satur- Bank robbery conspirator gets 17 years STRATFORD, Ont. (CP) - A conspirator hi Canada's largest bank robbery was sentenced to 17 years in jail today. William Ferguson, 50, of Montreal pleaded guilty last Tuesday to conspiracy to rob a Windsor bank of $1.2 million. Judge Wilfred Dupont said the Dec. 18, 1971, robbery showed preparation of a kind "that is a plague on society." Ferguson's lawyer, Norbert Losier of Montreal, had earlier said that any sentence of more than 10 years could be "a sentence to death" for Ferguson, a diabetic who has suffered two heart attacks since the robbery. Mr. Losier said Ferguson had expressed the hope he would not "come out of penitentiary in a pine box." Three other men, convicted in Windsor of conspiracy and robbery in the same holdup, were given terms ranging from 15 to 20 years. day night, just more than 24 hours previously. At least 18 persons were injured Sunday night, 14 of them tenants. Four firemen and a policeman also were treated in hospital. A police -spokesman said at least one of the injured is on the critical list. Fifty-four tenants were registered in the building, many of them elderly. An adjacent home was turned into an emergency shelter to care for the survivors who escaped in the above - zero temperatures. It is believed the death toll is the worst in the city's history as a result of fire. Insp. Bob Connell said he had been told the building was inspected about a week ago but he did not know the results of that inspection. One fireman said most of the interior was wooden and some of the walls had at "least 20 coats of paint which would cause them to burn rapidly." Mr. and Mrs. Jack Brown, owners of the home at 2034 Rose St. that was turned into an evacuation centre, were away when the fire was reported but their, son Terry and a family friend opened the doors to bewuildered and dazed survivors. Medicine Hat man charged in death A 24 - year - old Medicine Hat man charged with the noncapital murder of his two-year - old son, appeared in provincial court today in Medicine Hat, and was remanded to March 5, without plea or election. Harvey Eason was charged after his son Rodney Eason died Saturday of internal injuries in a Medicine Hat hospital. No dissention in party OTTAWA (CP) - There is nation-wide party solidarity for the position of the NDP in Parliament, David Lewis said Sunday. The national NDP leader made the statement at a news conference near the conclusion of the party's federal council meeting. The council met to plan the 1973 party convention and an election strategy. Mi*. Lewis said there was no trace of dissension in party ranks and there was "unanimous accord for the position of caucus in Parliament." He said continued NDP support for the minority Liberal government would depend on guides laid down by the party caucus. But there would be limits to that support. Corporate tax cuts such as proposed in the May, 1972, budget would be one such limit, he said and reductions hi the Unemployment. Insurance Commission fund would be another. He declined to speculate on when an election might take place, or what the NDP platform might be. "I don't intend to use the corporate welfare bums theme again. I will make it in the content of the situation." He said the quality of urban and rural life, regional economic disparity, Canadian au- tonomy, the cost of living and unemployment would probably receive attention in the party's next campaign. A 35-mcmber election planning committee will meet here March 23 to make more detailed proposals, he said. National party president Donald MacDonald said he is aiming at a budget of $400,000 to fight the next federal election whenever it comes. The NDP emerged from the last federal election with "virtually no deficit at all" and consequently would have no burden of inhibition in preparing for the next election. The party's convention will be held July 20-23 in Vancouver.