Lethbridge Herald, The (Newspaper) - February 5, 1974, Lethbridge, Alberta
TiMtdcy, February LETHBRIDQE Lethbridge No. 8 mine G7 Photo essay by BILL QROENEN Wheels have stopped turning, cables are still, windows.are broken and buildings deserted at the" old Number 8 Mine in West Lethbridge. The mine opened in 1935 shortly after one of Alberta's worst mining disasters. On Dec. 9 that year 16 men were killed when an explosion ripped through the coal mine at Coalhurst as the miners were changing shifts. Many of the men came to work at Number 8 after the explosion closed the Coalhurst mine. Number 8 closed in 1957 and is now owned by Nord Precast Concrete Ltd.