Internet Payments

Secure & Reliable

Your data is encrypted and secure with us.
Godaddyseal image
VeraSafe Security Seal

Lethbridge Herald Newspaper Archives

- Page 1

Join us for 7 days to view your results

Enter your details to get started

or Login

What will you discover?

  • 108,666,265 Obituaries
  • 86,129,063 Archives
  • Birth & Marriages
  • Arrests & legal notices
  • And so much more
Issue Date:
Pages Available: 32

Search All United States newspapers

Research your ancestors and family tree, historical events, famous people and so much more!

Browse U.S. Newspaper Archives

googlemap

Select the state you are looking for from the map or the list below

OCR Text

Lethbridge Herald, The (Newspaper) - August 16, 1974, Lethbridge, Alberta The Lethbridge Herald VOL. LXVII-208 'Cyprus crisis threatens UN credibility9 Herald Washington Bureau UNITED NATIONS, Kurt Waldheim warned Thursday night the fighting on Cyprus threatens the credibility of the UN and "calls into question" its very reason for existence. The Secretary-General, in an unusually frank assessment of the Cyprus situation, also told the Security Council the UN peace -keeping force (UNFI- CYP) on the island "cannot function effectively" to cool the crisis. "It is obvious that, under its present mandate and present strength, UNFICYP could not interpose between two armies engaged in full-scale said Waldheim. He stressed "successful discharge" of the force's parties concerned. If "acceptance and co-operation" are withheld, he added, the UN force cannot "function effectively." The secretary-general said UNFICYP "is in no sense an enforcement operation" under Chaper 7 of the UN charter which established the UN army in Korea. Waldheim said the fighting on Cyprus "clearly represents a threat to international peace and security" and "calls in question the very essence of the United Nations charter and the raison d'etre of our organization." after the secretary-general spoke, the Security Council passed a mildly-worded cease-fire resolution, its fourth since the Turkish invasion of Cyprus July 20. Remains deadlocked The council then recessed for nearly six hours, but reconvened shortly before midnight to pass a second resolution calling on the combatants "to demonstrate in a firm, clear and unequivocal manner" However, when the council finally ended its meeting at 11-30 MDT this morning, it remained deadlocked over a resolution proposed by France which is strongly critical of Turkey's resumption of fighting Wednes- day. Council members consulted privately throughout Thursday on the French draft, but diplomatic sources said a number ot countries the United opposed to the strong language directed at the Ankara government. The French draft records the "formal disapproval" by the council "of the resumption'of military operations in Cyprus by Turkey." Several countries were said to object to singling out Turkey when there was no formal condemnation of Greece last month over the Athens-led coup which ousted President Makarios and triggered the current crisis. As the council adjourned this morning, Ambassador Jacob Malik of the Soviet council cryptically that "an agreement" had been reached during the consultations. He added the council would "act appropriately" Friday. British Ambassador Ivor Richard, questioned as he left the meeting, told a reporter that he expected the council would meet again Friday afternoon to discuss the French resolution. "I expect that the resolution has enough support to pass, but not he said. The ambassador added that he didn't think any of the five permanent members of the France, the United States, the Soviet Union and exercise its veto power. However, some nations might refrain from voting. Amendments asked W. Tapley Bennet, the deputy U.S. delegate, said he had "no idea" about whether there would be another meeting today "There will be one if the French request it." The mildly-worded ceasefire resolution adopted Thursday night merely recalls previous council resolutions It "insists on the full implementation" of those resolutions "by all parties with the immediate and strict observance of the ceasefire" The nearly-six-hour recess Thursday night followed a request by Austria for a postponement. During the private consultations that followed, Austria insisted on an amendment to the draft resolution on UNFICYP calling for "firm, clear and unequivocal" demonstra- tion of co-operation by the combatans. In addition to that revision, which replaced a paragraph merely demanding that "all parties co- operate" with UN troops, the resolution "deeply deplores" the fact that UNFICYP members have been killed and wounded. Earlier in the day, a UN spokesman confirmed that three Austrians killed by a Turkish aircraft had been j bombed with napalm after being strafed by bullets. The spokesman added that before firing, the aircraft had made a pass over the clearly-marked white UN ve- hicle transporting the soldiers. LETHBRIDGE, ALBERTA, FRIDAY, AUGUST 16, 1974 28 Pages 15 CENTS fi Turks achieve military objective Cyprus gov't flees Nicosia Train disaster The first car of an eight-car train lies crumpled derailed Thursday night on its way to Brussels and Antwerp, killing at least ten persons and injuring 6C others. See news briefs on Page 2. among the girders on a railway bridge crossing the canal from Charleroi to Brussels at Luttre. The train Kenora Indians settlement near KENORA, Ont. (CP) Sen- ior Ontario government officials met Thursday night with Ojibwa Warrior Society leaders amid signs that a settlement to the Anicinabe Park occupation could be near. There was no comment from either side in the talks, which lasted more than hours. The secret meeting site was located near the park, which has been occupied by steadily- decreasing numbers of armed Indians since July 22. Heading the government delegation was Ontario deputy solicitor-general Frank Callahan. who arrived with other government officials Thursday. It was the first time such a high ranking official had oireclly entered the negotiations. On his return to the park from the talks, militant Indian leader Louis Cameron went straight to the general meeting area which during his absense had echoed to the beat of a tom-tom and chanting. 'Take that man's name Inside Classified........24-27 Comics........... 18 Comment...........4 District ......17 Family.............9 Local Markets...........19 Theatres...........11 Travel.............5 Weather.......3 At Home ...........5 LOW TONIGHT 45; HIGH SAT. 75; POSSIBLE SHOWERS. Ottawa seeking early end to West Coast grain row Seen and heard About town One year old Tova Place rejecting her mother Terry's cooking in favor of available cat food Lloyd Weight man telling a panel of women in art at a Women's Place meeting all they were really trying to do was escape boredom OTTAWA (CP) Two cabi- net ministers have asked for a meeting in Saskatoon next Tuesday with the heads of four grain companies as the government continues to press the firms to settle their labor dispute with West Coast grain handlers. Labor Minister John Munro and Otto Lang, minister responsible for the Canadian wheat board, announced today they have issued invitations to the presidents of United Grain Growers, Saskatchewan Wheat Pool, Alberta Wheat Pool and Pioneer Grain Co. Ltd. They were included in tele- grams in which the ministers said that "it appears that prospects for settlement of the issues in dispute between the parties have not improved" since recent sessions between company and government officials. The government has told the companies repeatedly to accept a conciliation report already accepted by the workers, or face a' settlement imposed by Parliamenf. Prime Minister Trudeau told the companies in a telegram Wednesday that the conciliation report, by Dr. Neil Perry, "appears to us to offer the basis of an equitable settlement." While the dispute continues, the workers have invoked a slowdown at British Columbia grain terminals that is backing up exports of Prairie wheat. The ministers' telegram today referred to "finding a resolution to the impasse and avoiding possible disruption of Canada's ability to fulfil its international grain commitments. By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS Turkish forces reported closing the last gap in their assault line today, putting one-third of Cyprus under Turkish control as both sides declared a ceasefire at dusk to end a three-day war. The government of Cyprus President Glafkos derides, which abandoned the battered capital ot as Turkish planes and mortars pounded the outskirts, announced that Greek-Cypriot forces would quit fighting at 10 a.m. MDT. From Ankara. Premier Bulent Ecevit declared his forces would halt their offensive at the same deadline. For five or six minutes after the ceasefire deadline sporadic firing continued in the capital. But as of 6.20 p.m. (10.30 a m MDT) the fighting appeared to have ended at least temporarily Turkish forces had already captured Famagusta, 35 miles east of the capital of Nicosia, and had been driving on Horner to stay with Tories Lefka. 30 miles west of the capital. At the same time, Turkish air and artillery attacks forced the Cyprus government to abandon the capital and flee to the south coast port of Limassol. Cyprus President Glafkos Clerides and his ministers fled so hurriedly that the doors of the deserted presidential offices were left banging in the wind. There was no evidence that any attempt had been made to remove files or other papers The building was deserted. Even the armed police guard surrounding it until earlier in the day was nowhere to be seen A portable radio in the office of the president's secretary was still blaring martial music from Cyprus radio. The desk of the president was orderly and in the middle was a large rnanila envelope with the United States Embassy stamp on it. The envelope was empty Telephones were ringing. A diplomat from the West German embassy across the street was wandering around the empty corridors in search of a single government official to talk to. "Where is everybody? Where is the he asked. "Ecevit said the Turkish troops were expected to reach their "military objectives no later than the ceasefire hour." He said the military objec- tives do not exceed the political ones Turkey asked for at the Geneva conference table. The objectives apparently involve carving out a Turkish sector in the northern third of the island which would be cut off from the south by a line bisecting Cyprus from Lefka in the west to Famagusta in the east The Turkish troops have al- ready taken Famagusta, and Ecevit's statement indicated that they expected to take Lefka too by the ceasefire deadline. Herald Ottawa Bureau OTTAWA Conservative Jack Horner announced yesterday he has decided to stay within the Conservative party The outspoken Alberta rancher, bitterly disappointed because of the expected delay in holding a leadership con- vention, had stated earlier he would have to consider his position within the party. Horner announced his deci- sion to stay following a meeting yesterday afternoon with a number of his colleagues He said the group would work toward supporting a "conservative" candidate in the leadership convention to oppose what he termed "the red tones Horner has frequently fought at conventions and in caucus to prevent the party from taking positions which he regarded as ''too socialistic At a Niagara Falls convention live years ago he was instrumental in turning the party away from espousing "a guranteed annual income policy He was critical of the party's incomes and prices controls policy which was the main plank in the Conservatives 1974 election platform Ford to keep tapes WASHINGTON lAP) President Gerald Ford's new- lawyer said today that Richard Nixon's tapes and documents will remain in White House custody until Watergate legal issues are resolved. Relaying a statement of White House counsel Philip Buchen. Press Secretary Jerald terHorst said. "In the interests of allowing timely consideration of possible legal issues raised by the special prosecutor or others, movement of tapes and documents being deferred TerHorst said Ford "has as yet taken no action" on the question of Nixon's tapes and documents Missing parts plague farm implement business By RIC SWIHART Herald Staff Writer Due to long delays in delivery, farm implement dealers have stopped writing a firm price for machinery into sales contracts at the time of the order. For th'eir own protection between the time of the order and the time of delivery, implement dealers have resorted to charging farmers what the implement costs once they have taken receipt of the unit because of rapidly increasing charges from the manufacturer. Adding to the frustrations of some local implement dealers, many machines are being delivered with parts missing from them. Don Dalke. manager of Southland Ford Equipment Sales in Lethbridge, said he has been facing the missing parts problem all year on many machines. Tractors and combines will be delivered on blocks, minus tires. He blames a labor dispute at tire manufacturing plants for the lack of tires, claiming the manufacturers of equipment are being forced to send the machines almost complete in the hope the local dealer can find the missing parts. He cited one example of a pair of tires on back order since January. That long back order cost him a sale to the farmer who ordered the tractor originally. Mr. Dalke did manage to find a farmer who bought the tractor with substitute tires, realizing he can't utilize the full capacity of the unit at this time. The tires are still on back order. Lynn Williams, manager of Williams Ranchland and Farm Supply in Lethbridge, said the manufacturers are shipping the incomplete machines to dealers rather than let them pile up at the factory waiting for parts. Clarence Stanley, sales manager for International Harvester in Lethbridge said his firm has been fortunate this year. Some machines have been late being delivered but they have all been Murray McKay, manager of McKay Bros. Farm Implements Ltd. in Lethbridge, agreed, claiming he has experienced no problems this year. But he can use more equipment in general as stocks are low. Frank Aubin, partsman for Bridge Farm Centre in Lethbridge said his firm had trouble getting swathers with factory-installed tires this spring but all tractors came equipped. The main problem facing Bridge Farm Centre is a lack of knowledge about the machines as they are being shipped, said Mr. Aubin. "We don't know what to expect until we get the machine." All the dealers contacted by The Herald confirmed that equipment is being solid subject to price set at the time of delivery. Mr. Dalke said if a dealer makes a contract with a set price, he is in trouble. He now takes an order from a farmer but will not guarantee a price. Helmut Entrup, farmer's advocate in Alberta, said in a telephone interview, he has had about 40 calls in the past two weeks from farmers complaining about price changes after they had completed transactions with dealers. He is felling them, if they have signed a contract at a set price, that is the price they have to pay. The dealer is the person left holding the bag. Mr. Entrup said farmers can sue the manufacturer or the dealer under the Bill of Exchange Act if the price is changed after a contract has been signed. Untired tractor tires come later, maybe. ;