Lethbridge Herald (Newspaper) - August 1, 1907, Lethbridge, Alberta
The Alberta town with the Flowing Gas Well Lots now on the market for the First Time The COMING CHICAGO of CANADA IS o-A.Xi3i.i2sr a- Coleridg* is the ^result of the law of evolution, the survival of the fittest. Some yeara before the advent ot the railways it bccamo necessary to move the headquarters of the Northwest Mounted Police from Fort Mac-leod t6 a point more c>:ntritl to thi* work, and Fort Walsh was selected, it being more suitable from all polats of view. On the arrival of the C. P. R. :n 1883, which skirted the hills on the north, the police post was transferred to Haple Creek, the nearest point on the railway, and the headquarters to Regina. A small town soon sprang up on the banks of the Saskatchewan which was named Medicine Hat. It was fibout this time that attention was drawn to the immease lelds of domestic coal lying to the went but some distance to the South at a point then known as "Coalbanks." It was here that the freight teams hauling supplies from Fort Benton u.sed to load up with coal for their return trip. The town of Macleod also drew its supply of coal from this mind. The Belly river was not found practicable as a navigation proposition so that coal could not be transferred from the mine to the main line of the C. P. R., hence a railway waa built from the mine to the mainline joining at a point called Dunmoro Junction, now known as "Coleridge" This was a narrow guage road until the year 1891, when it was changed to the standard guage and passed from private ownership to ponetsion f the C.P.R. This is ancient'history, but is sufficient evidence to prove that the town of Coleridge is the natural railway outlet for the larg* uumher of coal mines now being operated in Southern Alberta. ?Tlie district The vast district tributary to Coleridge may be truly spoken of as natural result of changes- in the seitling up of a country, and the duve> opments, not only of its own imnsKiate district, but of the 'mmeniiMy wealthy agricultural districts lo the west. A glance at the map w!ll convince anyone of the stratoijotic advantages possessed by this town. It is the gateway to the rich agricultural fields surrounding Loth-bridge, Uacleod, Pinchor Crjik, tjii? to the foot of the mountains Cf� aecting by a branch line with Oiirftston, Raymond, and also Croat FnHe Montana, by way of the Gnjirt Northern, and further west ihe apparent developed coal fields of �h�Crow's Nest Pass towns at Frank, Coleman, Michel, Fernie, and on the prairie at Lundbreck, also the eaten eive lumlier areas from Fornie win, will now be transhipped through Coleridge. This alone i� sufllcient to justify an Immediate liierea.su in real estate values, but accmi-panying this we have the impetus given the town l)y tlie many new industries which are locating at Coleridge in preference to other towns, from the fact that Coleridge has the be�t shipping facilities in the west, and �n unlimited supply of natural gas and a home market. MMMMMMMIMM ( We want you to write for Free Townsite Plan to the Secretary The vast pralrtea surrounding Coleridffe arc world famed fv)r their fertility and productivenesa, on* of the most prosperous farming .scttleuitBts In Alberta lies immediataly to the south of this town, and U cnlled the JOSEPH8BURO SETTLEaCENT, whose reputation Tor thrift, industry, and lUcoeM. baa bean a l>y�oid for years, and Coleridge is the sbi|>-piBff point for thouannda of tushcto of grain which will be m-trketerl this year. The climata of Coleridge and vicinity is moderate In summor and iu winter. For instance last wiuUr was an exceptionally severe one in tha wMi^ yet at Ootorldge tte snow had disappeared he Fuinii!<.