Internet Payments

Secure & Reliable

Your data is encrypted and secure with us.
Godaddyseal image
VeraSafe Security Seal

Lethbridge Herald Newspaper Archives

- Page 18

Join us for 7 days to view your results

Enter your details to get started

or Login

What will you discover?

  • 108,666,265 Obituaries
  • 86,129,063 Archives
  • Birth & Marriages
  • Arrests & legal notices
  • And so much more
Issue Date:
Pages Available: 20

Search All United States newspapers

Research your ancestors and family tree, historical events, famous people and so much more!

Browse U.S. Newspaper Archives

googlemap

Select the state you are looking for from the map or the list below

OCR Text

Lethbridge Daily Herald (Newspaper) - April 15, 1918, Lethbridge, Alberta PAGE EIGHT the Lethbridge pailt herald monday, april 15, 1918 E. J. R089ITER J. HARRIS & Co. FARM LANDS NOBLEFORD, RETLAW AND LETHBRIPGE Good Ranches For Sale Roy E. Connett Building Contractor PLANS, SPECIFICATIONS AND ESTIMATES FOR ALL BUILDINGS Nobleford Alberta 1280 ACRES of deeded land with 7360 a*cres of closed lease. About 1000 acre* of deeded land Is tillable of which 100 acres are under cultivation. Soil fl� chocolate loam with clay sub-soil. "Well watered by running creek, small lake ami springs. Good grazing over the entire ranch. Good seven roomed house wired for electric light, stable, cattle Rhcd and corrals, wind mill and other small buildings. Fenced and cross fenced into six pastures. Has plenty of natural shelter in the way of brush. Situate between Leth-bridge and Mediclnfe Hat. Stock and implements can be bought if purchaser so desires. Price $32,000.00, cash payment $10,000.00, balance arranged to suit purchaser. 640 ACRE* of title deeded land with 3240 acres enclosed lease. 500 acres deeded land tillable, 140 bush and coulee making good shelter and pasture. Black loam soil. Entire ranch has good growth of grass. Two creeks, 20 springs and well 7 ft. deep at house. Good house, large cattle shed, granaries, blacksmith shop and other buildings. All fenced. PricoN $11,500.00, cash payment $4,000.00. Purchaser has option of buying Sjtock and Implements if .required. About 200 head of horses and 20 head of cattle on the ranch. Will carry about S00 head the whole of the year. ^560 ACRES clear title deed land. 3500 Government Lease with 15 years to run. 2000 acres of deeded land is tillable, balance good pasture. Soil chocolate loam .with clay sub-soil. 25 acres in alfalfa, 250 acres, in western rye grass and 300 acres ready for crop. 150 acres of good wild hay. Post office 2 miles, church 2 miles, shipping point Medicine Hat. Good house, barn, granary, blacksmith shop, large barn equipped with hay track and slinks. 500 acres can be irrigated and Vater right tins been obtained and dam and ditches have been built which cost $2500.00. Stock-100 head pure bred Herefords. 10 grade cows, 80 head grade horses, 8 registered Clydes. chickens and pigs. Full line of implements sufficient to equip first class ranch. Watered by 3 wells 12 feet deep, lake and springs. Price $82,500 for ranch stock and implements. This ranch has one of the best bunches of stock in the country, cattle should sell at $200.00 per head on the open market. We have for sale some of the best grain farms in Nobleford and Retlaw districts. Write us for listings. Phone No. 1 Nobleford, 1412 Lethbridge. A VAST STRETCH OF WHEATFIELD ON A NOBLE FARM Nobleford, The Newest Village of Southern Alberta, Has Had a Most Growth and Development CUTTING WINTER RYE ON A NOBLE FARM The Merchants' Bank Of Canada ESTABLISHED 1864 HEAD OFFICE :: :: MONTREAL Capital, Reserve and Undivided Profits - $14,421,292. LT.-COL. SIR H. MONTIGUE ALLEN, PRESIDENT D. C. MACAROW, GENERAL MANAGER Canada and the Empire are in the Greatest War in History for the greatest purpose in history. We have men, money and munitions, but we need FOOD. FARMER, TAKE COMMAND. The result rests squarely on your shoulder*. Will you meet the test? This Bank is prepared to assist you In eyery way possible not only to seed the greatest acreage possible but to break every foot possible. Do your part, farmers of this district "that the dead who have given the last full measure of devotion shall not have died in vain." The' newest village In Southern Alberta makes itself known through the columns of this page. Nobleford does not need much introduction to people of this part of the province and is also well known to others the world round as the place where the wheat record of the world was captured in 1916, and which record has not yet been lifted. Noblerord as a village, however, is not so well known, and the enterprising business men who live in its boundar-[ ies are taking this opportunity of plac-' ing the village on the map in a good and proper way. Nobleford is situated about 22 miles northwest of Lethbridge on the KJpp-Aldersyde line of the C. P. R. and derives its name from C. S. Noble, the. pioneer farmer of the district, who b/ his energy and extensive knowledge of farming and general business ability, combined with the loyal support of an efficient staff of help, has built up a number of farms up to date x in every respect and which are conceded by all who see them as being second to none on the continent. Ml*. Noble came into the district from Claresholm In 1909 and commenced work on' the Grand View farm which lies to the east of the present village. An office building was the first to be erected and grad-| ually other buildings were put up and other pioneers came into the district. Among the earliest here one might mention the Tackaberry's, Medd's. McGregor's. Stewarts and Hunt's, all of whom took part in the formation work in building up the new village. The place progressed very slowly until the fall of 1916, .when Mr. Noble decided to build an up-to-date hotel which was finished early in 1917 and which is known as the McDouga.ll House. Having such an hotel seemed to act as a spur on the growing operations and soon a movement was underway to get papers of incorporation as a village. To E. C. Cranstoun was given the task of getting up the petition and seeking to get power to form a village C. S. NOBLE/ Reeve of Nobleford. from the Minister of Municipal Affairs. These efforts bore fruit and on Monday last the Tillage council held its first meeting and at which Mr. C. S. Noble the founder of the place was j honored by being elected its first ' reeve. At the nomination meeting held on March ISth, the electors nominated Messrs. C. S. Noble, F. W. Hunt and J. Harris as the first council. The policy of the council will be a progressive one and will recommend itself to anyone who Is seeking a home in the best country on the face of the earth, whether they are living on their means or have to work for their living. Mr. Cranstoun was chosen by the council to act as Secretary-Treasurer of the village. To those who have stayed with the place from its infancy and now look back upon its growth, can see much that is encouraging for the future. The pioneer days when the children had to go to Rose Butte school are gone forever. First we had our little sChoolhouse and now we look with pride on the new brick building, erected at cost of $10,000.00, which has just been opened and which is a credit to a village of our size. The trustees of the school district are CS. Noble, R. Tackaberry and E. C. Cranstoun with F. W. Hunt as secretary-treasurer and the school staff is E. M. Pyke and Miss Mcintosh, both of whom are doing good work in training the youthful minds of pur future citizens. During the years that have gone the religious side of life has always been to the front and the Presbyterians early established their cause here. In 1917 the board or management under the chairmanship of F. W. Hunt decided to build a new up-to-date church costing about $6,000.00 and on March 10 this bnilding was formally opened by the Rev. Dr. Ferguson. The board, like all othe* bodies in the village, is progressive and are doing all they can to develop the religious life of the young people. At the present time the bonrd is made up of .Messrs. F. W. Hunt (chairman), C. S. Noble, H.! Stewart. J. H. Medd, C. C. Hetzel, P. Hunt, M. A. Kilpatrick, W.! We Stock Nearly Everything You Need In General Merchandise DRY GOODS CLOTHING ?00TS AND SHOES GROCERIES FRUIT HARDWARE DISHES HARNESS OILS PAINTS AND VARNISH AUTOMOBILE ACCESSORIES PRICES RIGHT, SATISFACTION GUARANTEED OR MONEY REFUNDED. MEDD & HUNT PHONE 5, NOBLEFORD uary 25th last and which will serve as a social centre for a long time to come. Nobleford can boant two general stores, the Noble Foundation, Ltd., and Medd & Hunt, who during the past year have extended their holdings considerably. The local branch of the Merchants Bank of Canada located here one year ago in a small office adjoining the head office of The Noble Foundation, Ltd. Their business has been such and their confidence in the, present and future prosperity of Nobleford that they are at present erecting a new bank building of brick to cost in the neighborhood of twelve thousand dollars. During the past year a new post, office building and large implement shed have been erected by F. W. Hunt & Son. A large pool hall, and barber shop owned by A. Sorenson is another addition. Two elevators are also an addition in the past year. Making five elevators in all. Several houses have also been erected and others in course of erection. The lumber business of Becker & Yates, Lethbridge, open a branch here one year ago and have had a rushing business ever since. They have lately bought more property to extend their yards in the spr/ng. A large garage to take the place of the one recently burned down has, been erected and *as a necessity and reports a good business sinco opening. A large local agent's business has also been started by J. Harris & Co., and many good deals have already been closed. This is o,ur record up to the present in the village proper, hut what can be said'about our district? The .district which holds the world's record wheat production will take a lot of beating and all the farmer in its vicinity are determined that if good farming and careful attention to detail wit) do anything Nobleford as a wheat centre will bo on the map for years to come. On all hands we find men who are following in the steps of the pioneer of the district and, who are producing the. same result. Our village and district will'bear comparison with any district in Alberta and all the inhabitants are. pleased to live and work in the best place in Sunny Southern Alberta. II. Dalgleish and E. C. Cranstoun. The session is composed of the Rev. J. A. 1 Leslie and Messrs. H. Stewart, C. S.; Noble arfifc. C. Hetzel. There is also a strong Sunday School in connection with the church and which Sunday by Sunday has a good attendance. The fraternal orders are well represented 'by the Knights of Pythla*, who, under the able guidance of the C. C. Ero. W. J. Buchanan, assisted by other good workers, has made great strides 'since the formation of the Damon' Lodge No. 11 in May 1917. [ They have recently built a com mod -lious hall .which was opened on Jan- M. A. KILPATRICK, V. A. EBERLY, � . . MANAGER NOBLEFORD BRANCH  MANAGER MONARCH BRANCH Ford Parts a Specialty Phone 13 Complete Line of Tires and Accessories NOBLEFORD GARAGE DODGE MOTOR CARS ALL CLASSES OF REPAIRING DONE. FREE AIR Complete Stock of Oil, Grease and Gasoline, Prompt and Courteous Attention. Auto Livery Day and Night GENCO ELECTRIC LIGHT PLANTS ' ARCHER POWER MACHINES, FOX AUTO TRAILERS, STORAGE BATTERIES FORALL CARS, BATTERIES CHARGED AND REPAIRED 4thc LETHBRIOQE BOARD OF TRADE VISITS THE FARMS Courteous Treatment Prompt Service NOBLE FOUNDATION LIMITED - Dept. M. Groceries Hardware Implements Boots, Shoes Crockery Dry Goods We Carry the Largest Stock in the Village, NOBLEFORD, ALBERTA THRESHING 8CENE ON A NOBLE FARM ;