Internet Payments

Secure & Reliable

Your data is encrypted and secure with us.
Godaddyseal image
VeraSafe Security Seal

Lethbridge Herald Newspaper Archives

- Page 52

Join us for 7 days to view your results

Enter your details to get started

or Login

What will you discover?

  • 108,666,265 Obituaries
  • 86,129,063 Archives
  • Birth & Marriages
  • Arrests & legal notices
  • And so much more
Issue Date:
Pages Available: 56

Search All United States newspapers

Research your ancestors and family tree, historical events, famous people and so much more!

Browse U.S. Newspaper Archives

googlemap

Select the state you are looking for from the map or the list below

OCR Text

Lethbridge Herald, The (Newspaper) - April 9, 1974, Lethbridge, Alberta 20 THE LETHBRIDGE HERALD Tuesday, April 9, 1974 The Herald: a 70-year adventure On a cold December day nearly 70 years ago a handful of Lethbndge men and one woman embarked on an adventure The date was Dec 11, 1907 and the adventure was the birth of the Lethbndge Daily Herald It had been only two years since a young and ambitious newspaperman from Ontario had acquired the newly-established Weekly Herald For William Asbury Buchanan it was a step of considerable boldness and courage Lethbndge s population then hovered around the mark and already had a daily morning paper The News But W A Buchanan had faith in himself and the people he worked with He had faith in The Herald But above all he had faith in Lethbndge and Southern Alberta His faith and vision have been amply rewarded The Herald prospered as did kethbridge and the South The News folded in 1913 The growth and prosperity continues Today Lethbndge's population is The city serves a retail trading area of people The Herald's circulation of 300 on that December day in 1907 has burgeoned to But for Buchanan prosperity wasn't enough He believed the South deserved a great newspaper His will and determination and of the people who worked with him made The Lethbndge Herald one of the most respected journals of its size in Canada And along the way of a distinguished career as a civil servant and politician William Buchanan became a giant of Prairie journalism Much has happened since those days Two world wars "the Korean war, the war in Vietnam Man has walked on the moon He has discovered the secret of life Yes, journalism today is as much of an adventure as it was then And the vision and the spirit the marked the long Buchanan era lives on The Herald as well That vision is today exem- plified by the million dollar project that converted The Herald trom hot metal printing that had served it so well for nearly 70 years, to ultra-modern offset complete with new press and machinery that makes it one of the most modern printing plants in Canada The Herald has come a long way from its original former Chinese laundry The weekly Herald was born in the fall of 1905 on Round Street in a little frame shanty that had a various times been a law office and a laundry The edition consisted of four pages The brainchild of two Cranbrook men THE HERALD'S HOME ON SIXTH STREET FOR 53 YEARS William Asbury Buchanan Fred Simpson and A S Bennett the fledgling newspaper adopted the slogan "Watch Lethbndge Grow Not long after its birth, the infant was adopted by William Asbury Buchanan He increased The Herald's activities considerably a drum cylinder press, monolme and a Gordon press was purchased A larger home became necessary The new residence was a warehouse directly behind the old office, facing the lane at the rear of what today is the Dallas Hotel However, that location proved somewhat less than satisfactory the "building was level with the ground and when it rained, the printing office flooded The third move was to a building on bth Street, south of 4th Avenue Shortly alter this move the Knights of Pythias built a brick block adjoining The Herald office and the equipment and staff was transferred to the large modern headquarters There The Herald really grew And on December 11, 1907, it became The Lethbndge Daily Herald The first edition of the daily was a four-page, seven sheet It had a subcription rate of a year by mail or 35 cents a month delivered The circulation was about 300 daily The Herald grew so did its staff and machinery Soon these quarters became cramped and another move was necessary A new building was constructed in 1909 just north of the present Woolworth Building on 6th Street South, but the staff had hardly settled in to its new quarters before an addition was required With several extensions and the construction of another building on its north side, this spot housed the paper until 1952 In May of that year, The Herald moved to its present facilities In the old days news was received by means ot a poiiv telegraphic service supplemented by clipped news In 1907, Buchanan helped establish the Western Associated Press rWAP) This was forerunner of the Canadian Press and was the first co-operative Canadian news gathering agency Buchanan later became a director of CP and its national president in 1945 and 1946 Having become a member ot CP in 1917, a wire service was leased and a telegraph operator was installed in the editorial room In 1929, the telegraph was replaced by a Creed Teleprinter, and since then, the Teletype has been (he main supplv of world news The Herald now has five teletype machines which run day and night These are augmented by a Photofax wirephoto unit which provides instant pictures on important news events from throughout the world In 67 years of publication, the paper has never missed an issue in spite of fire, flood, explosion and power failures It hasn't always been full- sized, and it hasn t always been delivered on the date of publication, but nevertheless, a paper The Herald has come along way since Billy Lamb collected Personals and local tidbits, Rev J E Hughson wrote a weekly column, and Buchanan covered the council meetings, courts, railway stations, sold advertising, kept the1 books and sometimes even set type In 1959, the Buchanan's long association with The Herald came to an end when the paper was sold to FP Publications From a staff of 11 in 1907, the employee list has grown to 129 There are paid correspondents in many towns and villages in Southern Alberta and southeast British Columbia and there are special correspondents in Ottawa, London, York, and Washington ;