Order a high-quality 18"x24" poster print of this page. Add to Cart

Las Vegas Optic Newspaper Archives Jul 27 2015, Page 1

Low-resolution version. To view a high quality image

Start Free Trial
Las Vegas Optic (Newspaper) - July 27, 2015, Las Vegas, New MexicoEvent to spotlight city consolidation Monday Scattered showers and thunder- storms after noon. Mostly sunny, with a high near 87. Southwest wind 5-10 mph, increasing to 10-15 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 40 percent. Isolated showers and thunderstorms at night. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 56. Southwest wind 5-15 mph, becoming west after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 20 percent. Tuesday A 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly after noon. Partly sunny, with a high near 88. Northwest wind 5-10 mph, becoming southeast in the afternoon. A 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly after midnight. Mostly cloudy at night, with a low around 57. 50 centslasvegasoptic.com Monday-Tuesday July 27-28, 2015 Inside Looking back Weather FYI Looking ahead Vol. 136, no. 89 1 secTion, 8 Pages Sunrise ... Sunset 6:05 a.m. to 8:09 p.m. Staffing changes at East Motorcycles galore Above: Thousands of motorcycles are parked along Bridge Street during the 10th Annual Rough Rider Motorcycle Rally on Saturday. License plates from various states, including Vir- ginia and Illinois were seen at this year’s rally. Left: Las Vegas resident Oliver L’Esperance and wife, Cynthia, ride around Plaza Park on their motorcycle. Many people were seen driving their motorcycles around town and the area during this year’s rally. For more photos of this year’s rally see Friday’s Optic. Mercy López Optic photos Woman gets 5 years in homicide Victim shot in torso By Mercy López Las Vegas Optic In just a few weeks Las Vegas City Schools students will return to school. Upon their return, they will notice several administrative changes that took effect recently. Former Paul D. Henry Elementary principal Anthony Marquez will return to the school district after a year hiatus. In 2013, Marquez was given his walking papers by former superintendent Sheryl McNellis-Martinez, but he has since been rehired. Marquez will now serve as principal at Legion Park Elementary and Paul D. Henry Elementary. In another change, Memo- rial Middle School social stud- ies teacher Monica Montoya will now serve as principal of MMS. Another familiar face join- ing the district’s administration team is Tom Meserve. He will serve as the district’s transpor- tation director after the recent resignation of Ruby Martinez. Meserve retired from the New Mexico State Police and has been driving busses for the dis- trict for several years. Long-time Memorial Middle School Principal Martina Tapia will now oversee Los Niños Elementary and instructional programs such as bilingual and federal programs. The bilingual and federal programs position was left vacant in December with the abrupt resignation of Lydia Flores, who served as director for more than five years. Las Vegas City Schools Superintendent Ruben Cor- dova said Nancy Jeffery will assist Tapia with the instruc- tional programs aspect and also serve as principal at Sierra Vista Elementary. Tapia and Jeffery worked together prior to the last school year at Memorial Middle School, where Tapia served as prin- cipal and Jeffery as assistant principal. Montoya’s former position as social studies teach- er will now be advertised for the upcoming school year. Juan Carlos Fulgenzi will now add principal of the dis- trict’s Early Childhood Center to his duties of co-curricular director and high school assis- tant principal. Mike Yara will remain as Robertson High School principal. The district’s special programs director, Les- Several schools getting new principals See East, Page 2 By Martín Salazar Las Vegas Optic A 43-year-old Las Vegas woman has been sentenced to five years in prison for shooting her boyfriend to death in 2013. Kristina Lopez pleaded guilty to voluntary man- slaughter, a third-degree felony, and to negligent use of a deadly weapon, a petty misdemeanor, in June and was sentenced earlier this month. She had initially been facing a charge of sec- ond-degree murder, but that charge was dropped down to voluntary man- slaughter as part of the plea agree- ment. The agree- ment gave District Judge Gerald Baca wide latitude on sentencing. Under the terms of the plea agreement, Lopez could have been sen- tenced to anything from a conditional discharge and probation to seven years in prison. See Homicide, Page 2 Submitted to the Optic People have existed on a short stretch of the banks of the Gallinas River since time imme- morial, as archaeological studies reveal. Recorded history is documented by members of succeed- ing nations; Spanish, Mexican, United States of America. Beginning in 1821, with Independence from Spain, Mexican authority eventually established a community land grant in 1835. This northern Mexican, Span- ish-speaking community, flourished as a commer- cial outpost located west of the River. Expansion of Eastern North American interests, after the 1846 defeat of Mexico by the United States, launched the Ter- ritorial Period in New Mexico. Then, in 1879 the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad established a stop about one mile east of the River and the established community of Las Vegas west of the River. This distant loca- tion for the “ironhorse” leads to the birth of a See City, Page 2 in 1965 Tuesday, July 27 — The 12 officers in the Las Vegas State Police District No.2 issued 4,957 traffic citations in 1964 and trav- eled a total of 438,588 miles. Of the traffic citations issued, 4,851 were processed in the courts. There were 52 accidents resulting in injury to people; 109 accidents with no injuries due to traffic viola- tions; 88 accidents with no injuries and no traffic violations and 11 fatal accidents in which 14 people were killed. BenefiT concerT This Tuesday Ronstadt Generations will be doing a benefit concert for the Tri-County Farmers Market from 7 to 9 p.m. on Tuesday, July 28 at the Travelers Cafe. There is a $5 cover charge at the door. For more information, contact Jennifer at 575 937-5339. sPorTs Dancing on the big stage — 8 The San Miguel County DWI Safe-Ride-Home Ser- vice is available Fridays and Saturdays, from 8 p.m. to 2:30 am. Call 429-0336 for service. Deaths Telesfor Abeyta Lester “Les Vegas” T. Aragon Eloy Chavez Maria Concepcion Esquibel Melecia Gallegos Leroy Brian Santana Garcia Lynda Lorraine Quintana Esmeralda O. Urioste See Page 3 for obituaries Lopez

Search all Las Vegas, New Mexico newspaper archives

All newspaper archives for July 27, 2015

Browse
Order a high-quality 18"x24" poster print of the page above.