Order a high-quality 18"x24" poster print of this page. Add to Cart

Grand Junction Globe Free Press Newspaper Archives Jul 10 1969, Page 55

Low-resolution version. To view a high quality image

Start Free Trial
Grand Junction Globe Free Press (Newspaper) - July 10, 1969, Grand Junction, Iowa 7ve got a pocketful of dreams. A the atomic age and a changed world1950-1960 the atomic age beginning a new Era 11 50-1960 that new tangled invention the television was the talk of the town these Days especially after Matt Corcoran who was an electrical appliance dealer held a television show february 21 and invited the Public to come and see How the new machine worked. The grand Junction Community had always been a Community Active in the farm Bureau the Farmer s Union the homemaker s Extension clubs and in 4-h. In local achievement shows at the county fair and in state Competition the 4-h clubs of the Junction Community always came Home with their share of the awards. It was a great thrill then in february 1950 to see a member of the Junction live wires 4-h club Janice Hillman and her Mother mrs. Elbert Hillman featured in a Mother daughter team Story in the Des Moines sunday Register. From its very beginning grand Junction had always aimed to give its Young people every possible advantage seeing in each generation of youth which came along the leaders of the town in future years. How fortunate the town had been that its leaders and a town fathers have Ever been men who believed in the Best schools a Good Library youth centers summer recreation programs musical opportunities through the band the Myca the scouts the Camp fire girls the 4-h clubs herein has been the secret Lawn ornaments dutch boys and girls a Willie wiggles the moving Bird ducks and chickens made by Bill Youngblood who had opened up a woodworking shop. The methodist Church was planning an addition to the Church and the House just West of the Church and formerly the parsonage was moved away to make room for the addition. There was plenty of fun and Good times around town. The Home Talent show a Slaff it off sponsored by the vow Post was a laugh riot which Drew a capacity crowd. Boys 14 and under had a grand time As they had organized a baseball team after they had such a Good time playing in cub scout teams the year before. The town baseball team As usual was providing popular entertainment and their games never failed to make the front Page of the local paper. Baseball and grand Junction had certainly been a a partners since the town s beginning. There was a typhoid scare in Midsummer when a Junction boy was taken to the Hospital with typhoid. It was thought possible it had come from the City s water Supply As recent samples had shown it unsatisfactory and the Council was Busy considering various possibilities for a pure Supply. Another part of town took on a new look when o. H. Nelson had the five old buildings at the West Side of . On Hager Street torn Down to make Way for a new Concrete Block Structure. Neel lumber company also began plans for building a new lumber building and an office across the Street from their location on Hager Street. Late in november Gordon Wertz announced that the Globe had been sold to or. And mrs. William Watt of Lamoni who were to take Over the paper As of december i. Or. Watt had been shop Foreman for the Lamoni chronicle and of the Small Stock Magazine for Many years. So with the beginning of the new year a Watt s new a was to become a familiar column in the Hometown paper. Of the City s growth and Progress. From the Days of the literary societies in the one room school to today s Well rounded school curriculum youth Exchange program Little leagues and youth clubs grand Junction has recognized its youth As its greatest wealth. It seemed As if the terrible world War h had scarcely ended and even before the bodies of All of our War dead had been returned Home for burial As requested by their families when our country was again involved in a struggle overseas. The korean conflict How they hated to Call it War began in 1950. The United states responded to a Call from the Security Council of the United nations for armed troops to help South Korea resist the communist forces of North Korea. Again we were to see our Young men leave for battlefields overseas. Here at Home we were to live with the fears and the heartaches of War yet it was not called a real War Tobe backed by All out efforts. No matter what the Prosperity of the times or the signs of our Progress the brightness was dimmed by the anxieties of the world conflicts of having our boys in Korea and elsewhere in the world and training in Camps at Home. It was to become the pattern of this atomic age signs of Progress were to be seen in Many changes about town c. D. Mitchell held a formal opening of the variety store he purchased from Ralph Cronin. This was a a return Calls for or. Mitchell As he had been school superintendent Here from 1937- 43. It would seem evident that he liked the Crossroads town Woods and Diehl bought out Wilts and Mears hardware and plumbing and Phil and Payson Hillman started up a plumbing business in the building next to the fire station. O. W. Dutton Joe White Hill and m. A. Lunt formed a corporation and put up a Large warehouse a Block South of the school bus barn. It housed the Whitehill implement business and the rest of the building was used to store and assemble new machinery. The Krakau produce was taken Over by Sampson and Hummel and renamed the Farmer s produce and feed store. An interesting business Transfer took place when Ralph Teagarden bought Back the building which he had originally built from the Turner seed company to use As his Teagarden Chevrolet company. Lee Robson announced he was closing out his plumbing shop. It is interesting to note that this year too the fake s Dairy observed their 50th anniversary and the Roselyn Dairy it s 21st year. The summer of 1950 the Board of trustees of the Light Plant carried out quite a water Extension and expansion program. $32,000 in Revenue Bonds to mature in 19 years were sold and by the end of the year a new pump was in operation at the Plant. The splendid new Home of the Peoples Trust and savings Bank the building formerly the Harker s bakery on the North Side of main was being extensively remodeler during the summer and fall. It s customers were eagerly awaiting the opening of the new Bank the next Spring. Fire it had been some time since a big fire such As the one at the modern construction company s Plant in december. The fire of undetermined origin did an estimated $25,000 damage. The office and the Coal bins were in separate buildings and were not destroyed. The company set to work immediately on plans to rebuild the burned out Plant. It had covered nearly a Quarter Block there was also All of the machinery to repair or replace. 1950 marked the retirement of or. Charles Humphrey who had practice dentistry Here for Over 55 years. 1951 when Leon Frantz widely known Guernsey cattleman held the dispersal Sale of his Herd in january buyers from a Large area were in attendance. The Day the Peoples Trust and savings Bank held their formal opening was a gala occasion in grand Junction. It was estimated Over 2000 people attended the opening. Officers in the Bank at the time were Claus Loof president mrs. Ellen Morgan and mrs. Marion Curry assistant Cashiers and j. E. Brady As cashier. The building had not Only been completely remodeler but a 16 foot addition had been built to the rear. There was a big vault on the first floor for the customers use and a basement vault for storage. There were spacious conference rooms and a Lovely director s room. The Community was invited to use the latter room for committee meetings. The children were not forgotten on the Bank s opening. There was a free show for them at the theater and a Jar full of pennies for a guessing game with prizes of course. W. W. Mueller had worked at the Milligan elevator so Long 37 years that he had almost become a fixture around the place by the time he retired in 1951. He had worked there since the Days when Jacob Smittle owned the elevator when he recognized the team of every Farmer by sight old Man Winter was up to his usual tricks that March and dumped 14 inches of Snow in a three Day storm. Schools and the country roads were closed for a week and then another big storm crime which really brought everything to a standstill. Travellers were stranded All along Highway �?o30�?� and the town was kept Busy providing lodging and food for them. Even the theater closed and the wedding of Betty Rinker and Richard Van Pelt had to be postponed. Our unpredictable Iowa blizzards always have a Way of providing the risk element in All of our Winter plans the businesses which were really swamped when the roads opened up after being closed nearly two weeks were the produce stations. Morlan s processed 113 cases of eggs in one Day and the Farmer s produce estimated they did a usual two weeks business in two Days time. The Board of directors of the Junction Telephone co. Put out an sos in the Spring of 51 saying a the Junction system needs the old equipment the Wall phones the switchboard were All outdated. The company had used up it s capital investment and Reserve trying to keep up with the Post War demands for More phones and More lines. Something had to be done. At that time the company had about 630 telephones and Over 90 pole Miles and 5 toll lines. The next few years was to see considerable discussion on what could be done to update the system. Or. And mrs. Darwin Vipond became the new owners of the funeral Home. Darwin had worked his apprenticeship and As an intern under his father in Law h. A. Reimer who was retiring. H. H. Turner was another Junction businessman who retired that year. A new Massey Harris implement House was established Here in july by Rueter and Zenor. The Lincoln roamers motorcycle club of grand Junction was providing excitement and recreation for Many and something to gossip and shake Heads Over for the rest As they took part in Hill climbs and other motorcycle events of the summer. There were those who thought of that summer As a one big Roar those noisy motorcycles you know a new a Gas House was built East of the municipal Light building to House the meter equipment As the engines of the Plant were converted to natural Gas marking a new Era for the Light Plant in Junction. A new engine was installed which burned either Gas or fuel Oil. The town of grand Junction also received new equipment in August to be used to resurface the streets of the City with Oil stabilized Type Black top. A Lovely late summer Flower show was sponsored by the Al Carim club with the proceeds to go to the youth recreational fund. It was a most successful show with 296 entries and Over 350 in attendance. Death came to Pioneer banker t. R. Watts in december at the age of 78. He had not Only been Active in the civic work of our town and an efficient banker but had served on the executive Council of the american banker s association and As treasurer of the Iowa Bankers association. 1952 when miss Dora Gladson and mrs. Estelle Lilves announced they were retiring at the end of the school year in May the entire Community joined in honouring them with an appreciation night a very noteworthy and memorable event in recognition of their combined 61 years of service to this Community. Miss Dora Gladson had taught for 42 years 30 of those years in grand Junction As Junior High principal. Mrs. Lilves had taught 37 years 31 of them As an elementary teacher in grand Junction. The Globe carried a full Page a in appreciation tribute to these Fine teachers and various business houses saluted them in their ads. Over 300 attended the banquet and the program which followed. Former superintendent Kincaid returned to take part in the Happy event. Many former pupils took part in the programs while others from around the country sent greetings to the two honoured teachers. At the close of the festivities each teacher was presented a commemorative plaque from the Community. The methodist Church which had undergone extensive remodelling until it was practically a new Church was consecrated on june 8, 1952, at a Cost of approximately $72,000. It was a building of which the congregation and the City might be justly proud. The City was also in the construction business and adding to its equipment. It purchased about $30,000 Worth of modern Street equipment which would make it possible to Black top the City streets and also constructed a new municipal building Back of the fire station to House the new equipment. Or. John Goodrich the new dentist arrived in town in july and opened his office in the newly remodeler and redecorated office in the front part of the Hillman s plumbing building. The year brought a change in the Church status of the Pioneer country Church Southwest of grand Junction known As pleasant Hill methodist Church. Since its founding in 1881 the Church had been not Only the spiritual Center of the pleasant Hill neighbourhood but was the Community Center As Well. At the Church s annual conference that summer

Search all Grand Junction, Iowa newspaper archives

All newspaper archives for July 10, 1969

Browse
Order a high-quality 18"x24" poster print of the page above.