Order a high-quality 18"x24" poster print of this page. Add to Cart

Grand Junction Globe Free Press Newspaper Archives Jul 10 1969, Page 14

Low-resolution version. To view a high quality image

Start Free Trial
Grand Junction Globe Free Press (Newspaper) - July 10, 1969, Grand Junction, Iowa The first Metzger meat Market about 1879, located on the North Side of main Street West of the Railroad tracks where the Harry Neidigh residence stands today. The family living quarters were immediately behind the store. The Metzger family in the picture Reading left to right Are we. F. Metzger c. E. Metzger Sarah Metzger olm Stead mrs. C. C. Metzger Carrie holding Theressa mrs. Charley teeters. C. Metzger and Frank e. Metzger. Note the Board sidewalks in front and at the Side of the store and the Wagon tracks on the a Street. Eye olde Pioneer Butcher shop that was Charlie Metzger a place Charlie Metzger always said that he literally a blew in to grand Junction on that March 14, 1870 for he arrived on the first Day of a terrible three Day blizzard. Within a few hours of his arrival he was engaged in the Butcher business with Samuel Thompson forming a Friendship that lasted their life time. However they did dissolve partnership Ere Long and Charlie continued in the business for himself. The Metzger meat Market was West across the tracks on main Street located just beyond the Babbitt hotel now Edith Hillman Young s Homeland the Metzger family lived in part of the building. The a a butchers held an important place in the lives of the housewife and her family in those Days. He soon became accustomed to the family a preferences and made it a Point to Cater to them. In those Days the Butcher often gave the liver away to his customers As a Good will gesture it was too a a common a meat to sell Well anyway Charlie not Only butchered All of the animals to get his Supply of meat but would ride horseback out into the country and choose Choice animals for Slaughter right from the Farmers feed lot or pasture. He would then have to hitch up to his Butcher Wagon and go to the farm to haul the animal Back to his Slaughter House. He also bought hides and tallow from Farmers who did their own butchering for the meat for their own table. Charlie was an enterprising merchant and peddled his meats through the surrounding Countryside in a Spring Wagon. Each Butcher put up his own ice in his icehouse and used some of this ice to keep his a meat boxy Cool while delivering meat in the country. Charlie carried a Bell which he rang to i it the House wives know of his arrival. He also did a thriving business i providing the meat for All of the hotels in town and this alone was quite a business. Speaking of these hotels serving meals old timers loved to recall How in those Boom years when there were so Many hotels Here with the Benson House and Adams restaurant beside it on the South Side of the Street and another run by a or. Connely across the Street that at meal time morning noon and night All three of these eating houses rang a Bell to signal that a soup was on and a made enough noise to shake the timbers in buildings two blocks away a a not to mention their other competitors about town across the Street South from the Metzger Market was the bakery. J. H. Powers and j. W. Harvey were proprietors of this bakery at different times. Out the City a first paper the headlight. Or. S. C. Stephen Maynard managed the paper for the Des Moines publishers and then or. Maynard purchased the paper in 1871. Through the next several decades a c. Maynard was to Wield an influence on the growth of the town which it is impossible to measure. Whatever was progressive and for the betterment of grand Junction and its citizens the editor gave it his utmost efforts through the columns of his paper. Being unmarried Young Stephen 24, stayed with the Alberts at the Babbitt hotel and later when they built their Home he roomed with them thus a lifelong Friendship was formed with the senior Alberts and with their son Gates who was to become a celebrated judge of the Iowa supreme court. By 1870 the population of the town had grown so rapidly that the Little White Frame schoolhouse was outdated almost before the lumber had thoroughly dried so that year a new Brick school House 40 x 60 feet containing four rooms was built on a half Block of land donated by the Hager family. The first floor consisted of two rooms separated by a wide Entrance Hall and this floor was used for school purposes. The upper floor was used As a Hall and for Church services until churches were built and dances were also held there. The Cost of the new school was approximately $7,000. It was located at the Southeast Corner the town gets a newspaper and a new Brick school in the autumn of 1869, As soon As grand Junction was Laid out and everything pointed to a Boom town the proprietors of the town realizing How much a Good newspaper could Benefit the new towns growth arranged with Mills amp co. Of Des Moines to publish a paper Here. They equipped a new office about where Oblinger a ladies Wear is today of Hager and 12th. The West room of the two downstairs rooms was used for the High school. This room also was used for Church services with the methodists and presbyterians alternating sundays to use it for the preaching service. A a primary school Grade occupied the other room. Two of the earliest teachers were or. And mrs. A. C. Albert Porterfield who left their Home in Ohio july 4, 1872 and arrived in grand Junction july 6. Or. Porterfield and his new Bride had applied for the positions of principal and primary teacher respectively and been accepted each for a six month term. They received a combined salary of $75. Previously or. Porterfield had bought 160 acres of land South of town. That a fall however the Young couple rented a farm a mile East of town and later moved there while continuing to teach and or. Porterfield recalled How he often taught various one room country schools during the Winter months to a a amused himself As he put it. In telling of the Church services being held in the schoolhouse in town he told of How the settlers for Long distances around grand Junction would come to the services in wagons some having Spring seats others using boards across the wagons for seats. During the Winter months he and others enjoyed attending the dances that were held in the schoolhouse every Friday evening. The old Brick school grand junctions second school House

Search all Grand Junction, Iowa newspaper archives

All newspaper archives for July 10, 1969

Browse
Order a high-quality 18"x24" poster print of the page above.