General Advertiser Newspaper Archives

- Page 1

Issue Date:
Pages Available: 4
Previous Edition:

About General Advertiser

  • Publication Name: General Advertiser
  • Location: London, Middlesex
  • Pages Available: 8,378
  • Years Available: 1744 - 1850
Learn More About This Publication


  • 2.17+ Billion Articles and Growing Everyday!
  • More Than 400 Years of Papers. From 1607 to Today!
  • Articles Covering 50 U.S.States + 22 Other Countries
  • Powerful, Time Saving Search Features!
Find Your Ancestors Now

View Sample Pages : General Advertiser, June 11, 1746

Get Access to These Newspapers Plus 2.17+ Billion Other Articles

OCR Text

General Advertiser (Newspaper) - June 11, 1846, London, Middlesex The General Ad vertifer. � n^mb. 36272 WEDNESDAY, June 11, 1746. Deal, June 9. HIS Morning his Majefty's Ships ] the Sheernefs and Surprize, the Eaft-India Ships, and all the Outward-bound failed to the Weft ward. Came down the Prin-c�fs Amelia, Beft, for Eaft India; Wincltefter, Legros, for Cape Breton; the Anfley, Rand, for Lifbon ; the Elizabeth, Howard, for Liverpool. His Majefty's Ship Chatham, Commodore Mitchell, is preparing to fail. Remains his Majefty's Sloop Ferrit. ' Wind W.N.W. LONDON. A Defcriptiott of Charleroy. CHARLEROY, tho' the leaft of the three neighbouring Towns in the. Auftrian Netherlands, that are not jet i'ubdued by the French, is a Place of considerable Importance on Account of its confiderable Strength and Situation. It was only a Village, called Charnoy, till the Year r666, when the Spaniards fortified it> and called it bytheprefent Name, in Honour of Charles II. the laft King of Spain of the Auftrian Family. It is a regular Hexagon, fituated on the North Banks of the Sambre, where it receives the Pieton, which River and a ftanding Body of Water cover it on the Eaft and Weft j fd that it is open only on the North. There is a Bridge over the Sambre, which leads to a large Crown-work on the South of that River, and a Horn-work points to the Angle where the Pieton and Sambre meet. The French took Charleroy the very next Year after it was fortified, and kept it by the Peace of Aix-la-Cbapelle till 1678, when it was reftored to the Spaniards by the Treaty of Nimeguen. They and the Dutch, under the Prince of Orange,' had twice befieged it in vain during this Interim, in 1672 and 1677. In 1692 the French bombarded it, and in 1693 took it by Siege after 27 Days open Trenches, King William and the Eleftor of Bavaria not being able tq relieve it. The Marquis de Villeroi directed this Siege, and the famous Duke of Luxembourgh covered it. By the Treaty of Ryfwick in 1697, Charleroy was, reftored to the Spaniards; but the French feized it again, in 1700, upon the Death of the fame King of Spain who gave its Name, and kept it till the Peace of Utrecht, when they were obliged to evacuate it to the late Emperor Charles VI. who held ft till his Death, as his Daughter, the Emprefs-Queen, has done ever fince. > This Town(Sands in the County of Namure, very near the Borders of Hainalt, 14 Miles Weft of Namure, zi Eaft