Read an issue on 1 Mar 1986 in Colorado-Springs, Colorado and find what was happening, who was there, and other important and exciting news from the times. You can also check out other issues in The Colorado Springs Prospector.
We use Optical Character Recognition (OCR) technology to make the text on a newspaper image searchable. Below is the OCR data for 1 Mar 1986 Colorado Springs Prospector in Colorado-Springs, Colorado. Because of the nature of the OCR technology, sometimes the language can appear to be nonsensical. The best way to see what’s on the page is to view the newspaper page.
Colorado Springs Prospector (Newspaper) - March 1, 1986, Colorado Springs, Colorado
Colorado history from Early pay newspapers vol. 17, no. 2colorado territory Price $1.00 Ocif Navarre has colourful past Celebration toasts history Denver Public Library Western history department. Brinker collegiate Institute Ca. 1883. Built in 1880, the building housed the Institute until 1883. Refurbished it opened As the hotel Richelieu in 1889. The be Cense Kames As the Navarre in 1901. Its colourful history Aud Romause legends made ii a Colorado landmark. For most of its years the building housed a restaurant and on hotel until it opened its doors As Denver a museum of Western Art in 1983. Denver s new collegiate Institute Jan. 1,1881 the Brinker collegiate Institute situated at the Junction of Broadway and Tremont streets comprising two Large and commodious buildings has a frontage on Tremont Street of ninety feet. One building is devoted exclusively to school purposes the other to boarding department music and class rooms. This school was erected seven or eight years ago when Broadway was virtually the City a Eastern Boundary. It was used for educational purposes with varied Success and faltering Fortune till 1877 when professor Brinker came to Denver and established Denver collegiate Institute now called Brinker collegiate Institute. In this building two years of successful management developed the necessity for More extensive buildings and Large facilities and professor Brinker relying faculty Jan. 21, 1880. The second term began monday with 128 matriculated seven male and three female teachers and the following daily programme of recitations chemistry natural philosophy botany physical geography astronomy physiology rhetoric logic moral science evidences of christianity natural history a requiring two classes in geography three in grammar five in arithmetic three in algebra geometry spelling Reading charts Etc., three classes in latin three in German and French and a thorough course in bookkeeping. The classes in German and French Are in charge of professor Henry Bloch a Learned rabbi of the jewish Church. The sciences Are taught by professor w. J. Waggoner a Man of scholarly attainments and Large experience. Upon his own Energy and unaided by endowments or contributions of any kind purchased the school building and lots adjoining and in june 1880 began the erection of the Large building which now adorns the intersection of Broadway Tremont and eighth eighteenth streets. Three months from the laying of the foundation Brinker collegiate Institute opened in the new building with one Hundred pupils. The new building planned by f. Eve Brook is fifty feet front one Hundred and ten feet in depth and four stories High. Its style is More of a residence than of a Public institution and gives both an air of Comfort and Home. The building in All of its appointments has been constructed with references to Security from fire Comfort and convenience. Latin and a Belle Lettress Are taught by professor d. E. Reese a Ripe scholar and Superior teacher. Professor w. J. Crockin a graduate of the Virginia military Institute will teach mathematics and military tactics. William 0. Brinker stands at the Helm in the intermediate department and mrs. J. A. Dobson in the primary. The commercial department is under the management of professor Waller c. Brinker who gives his entire time to his pupils now numbering Twenty. This department is so managed As to allow pupils who have other studies or persons who can devote Only one or two hours to Book keeping to receive instruction for any length of time each Day they May desire and be charged proportionately therefor while any who May wish to Complete the study As soon As Possi. Hie can devote their entire time to it. This department is open to every the first floor is allotted to the presidents office and commercial department in front class rooms dining room Kitchen Etc. On the second or principal floor Are the Parlours a reception rooms music rooms kindergarten department and Beautiful Chapel with a seating capacity of 300. The two Large Halls form a huge Cross having front rear and Side doors affording Superior ventilation and great Comfort. The third and fourth floors Are set apart for sleeping apartments the former for females the latter for males. The bed rooms Are designed to accommodate four pupils each in Case of necessity but ordinarily will be occupied by two. They Are supplied with closets Gas new furniture and most of them carpets. A the Rocky Mountain news new years edition. Body male and female whether connected with the school or not. Mrs. F. C. Rushmore teaches the class in painting and drawing and mrs. Brinker the music class. President Brinker gives a general supervision. His school is a Good one and worthy of patronage. A the Rocky Mountain club dec. 7, 1879 the students at Brinkers Institute Are forming a dancing club to be styled the a Queen City the Hall of the Academy building will be made available for the purpose and the society will be productive of genuine enjoyment to All connected. A the Rocky Mountain news. Sep. 3, 1982 the faculty of Brinker Institute will be the same As last year with the exception that prof. Forman and wife will be added. A the Rocky Mountain news. Nov. 30,1984 Here a a Celebration that anyone who loves Denver a past and future wont want to miss. Its the one year birthday party of the museum of Western Art december 8 in the beloved Navarre across from the Brown Palace. The birthday is being celebrated with the museums first free admission Day and a gala Christmas spirit. For about seven years it looked As if the handsome victorian building a perhaps the City a most colourful landmark a might be demolished for yet another Glassy eyed Tower but by one of those modern marvels and lot of human determination it was saved. The Navarre is both on the National Register of historic places and a designated Denver landmark. Denver is doubly fortunate to retain such a splendid building from our past on the downtown scene and to have such a magnificent new museum one that delineates our Western history so vividly. The excellent Art is presented with a historical perspective so that you begin on tile third floor with paintings before the White Many a arrival on through to today. William and Sandra Foxley founded the museum with their own private Art collection because they thought the Region needed such a specialized museum and from the enthusiastic response in be heard they were right on the Mark. Guests in be taken have lingered with great appreciation. The Navarre 1725 Tremont place has had a Lively history since it was built in 1880 As the Brinker Institute first co educational school West of the Mississippi. After the founder died it became a Classy gambling House and renamed the Navarre. As a bordello it inspired a local legend that a Tunnel connected it to the Brown so that patrons be seen entering the Navarre in the recent renovation a Tunnel with narrow train tracks was found in the Navarre basement walled up below the Street. Owner Vasco l. Chucovich ran it Elizabeth Chenault Brinker As a Quality Saloon and cafe from 1909 until 1933, and when he died the proceeds went to his Hometown 2,237 year old Risan Yugoslavia where he had built a Hospital and done other Good deeds. During the �?T40s and �?T50s, it was a popular gathering spot for celebrities and in the �?T60s jazz musician peanuts Hucko brought it new Fame for a time but it eventually closed presumably to wait for demolition. But Denver ites loved it a few More than Maggie of Connor who with Phil Taylor of innovative design constructors bought the endangered building and undertook to restore and find a use for it. They even replaced the cupola that had been missing for decades. When Foxley decided it would be an appropriate Home for his collection the Circle was Complete. He hired John m. Prosser As architectural consultant and the Denver firm c. W. Fentress to Complete the renovation which won an american society of Interior designers project design award for adaptive reuse. The museum was featured in the october Issue of a Interior in addition to the Joy of saving the Navarre and having it enjoyed by the Public there was another far reaching precedent connected with the building. Because citizens did no to want to lose their designated landmarks downtown they backed legislation that makes it possible for the building owner to receive some of the benefits of a landmarks location without tearing it Down for a new building. If it is a designated landmark a say three stories a in the downtown where a 10-Story building would be permitted by the zoning regulations the owner May sell those a a unused development rights to a new building within the same downtown n zone. And now designated landmarks done to have to be razed for a full economic and Denver gets to keep the most important of our Early buildings. We All gain. A Joanne Ditmer the Denver Post. Photon Courtesy museum of West in Art. Joseph Brinker Joseph Brinker came to Denver in 1876 for his health. He died to years later at age 53. His energetic wife helped run their schools in Kentucky and Colorado where among other things she taught music. Her picture was taken at 20, just before her marriage in 1855. Joseph Brinker was about 50 when this picture of him was made
Search All Newspapers in Colorado Springs, Colorado
Search the Colorado Springs Prospector Today
with a Free Trial
We want people to find what they are looking for at NewspaperArchive. We are confident that we have the newspapers that will increase the value of your family history or other historical research.
With our 7-day free trial, you can view the documents you find for free.