Order a high-quality 18"x24" poster print of this page. Add to Cart

Cedar Rapids Citizen Newspaper Archives Jan 29 1964, Page 1

Low-resolution version. To view a high quality image

Start Free Trial
Cedar Rapids Citizen, The (Newspaper) - January 29, 1964, Cedar Rapids, IowaCall pm 5-6042 j or subscriptions volume Iii 218 2nd Avenue South West published week Lynn Cedar 1964 by James Brooks an elderly Cedar rapids woman and her dog died in a fire that scorched the Interior of her Frame Home monday afternoon. Gertrude o Hern 75 1806 5th" Avenue be was pronounced dead on arrival at mercy Hospital. The reason for death was Given As smoke inhalation. A neighbor . Perkins arrived Home from work shortly before 4 when a woman ran up to his Home shouting is the woman who lives in. That House no Perkins she is arthritic and nearly her House is on the woman said. Before Perkins could get to the House police officers Robert Jaeger and John Reed arrived. The officers., were unable to enter of ithe merchants opened Scwll be Clown. All three were in abundance new merchants National motor Bank _ stations provided the balloons and the kids Neuman named a member of the Cedar rapids religious Community rabbi la Sac Neuman was named last week to conduct a tutorship at Cornell Coll Ege under the auspices of the jewish Chautauqua society. The society head in new York City announced that they will establish and underwrite the resident lectureship beginning the second semester of 1964. Rabbi Neuman will teach a course devoted to the his tory of Judaism at Cornell a methodist affiliated Liberal arts College. A native of Poland who became a naturalized Amer ican citizen rabbi Neuman was awarded a National federation of Temple sister hoods Fellowship in the Early 1950 s to study at the University of Cincinnati and hebrew Union College. He earned the . Degree from the University of Cincinnati majoring in comparative literature and modern languages. He also holds the . Degree from hebrew Union College and a Jerusa Lem diploma from hebrew i con i. Page 2 theorized the fire had started in Box or waste Basket beside the Jet Chen stove. It looks like she tried to get it out of the House but had to drop it by the window in the dining Hunter said. All the stove burners were Hunter continued. Apparently the fire was started by a soldering neighbors said the partially crippled widow was a heavy smoker. Mrs. O Hern apparently triefly flee from the flames. She got As close to safety As the front door before before collapsing. The body of her Only companion a pet bulldog was found beside her. One of those Days Jerry Fronek 2417 a Avenue be had a couple of bad Days last week. Fronek is a delivery Man for the scientific diaper service. Wednesday night someone stole eight Gallons of Gas from his delivery truck thursday was no better. While making a delivery on second Street be someone entered his truck and made off with six dozen diapers. The diapers were described As being in plastic packages three dozen to a package. They were valued at per dozen and were further described As being clean

Search all Cedar Rapids, Iowa newspaper archives

All newspaper archives for January 29, 1964

Browse
Order a high-quality 18"x24" poster print of the page above.