Low Resolution Image: Become a member to access this full resolution image at 375% higher quality.

OCR Text

Altoona Mirror (Newspaper) - September 15, 2001, Altoona, Pennsylvania ATTACK AtMenica, LATEST DEVELOPMENTS ■ Federal authorities make first arrest in connection with the attack; details not disclosed ■ President Bush declares national emergency, gives military authority to call reserves Nearly 5,000 people reported missing or confirmed dead at WTC; Pentagon death toll at least 190 ■ Justice Department releases names of 19 alleged hijackers and says it wants to question IOO people Congress approves $40 billion in aid to help victims, increase security and track down culprits ■ Taliban militia warns of revenge if the United States attacks Afghanistan for harboring alleged terrorist Osama bin Laden ■ Recorders found of plane that crashed into Pentagon; voice recorder recovered in Shanksville crashAltoona Mirror © Copyright 2001PA. FUNE CRASH Document outlines flight’s last moments By Robert Igoe Staff Writer SHANKSVILLE - As a nation comes out of shock over Tuesday’s terrorist attacks, new evidence has come to light that offers insight on the last minutes of United Airlines Flight 93 from Newark, N.J., to San Francisco before it crashed in Somerset County. In a document prepared for U.S. Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pa., Tom Swanton, an assistant U.S. attorney, indicated a struggle occurred on the aircraft before the crash. Swanton wrote that “radar tracks of the jet, as well as eyewitnesses on the ground, indicate there was a struggle for control of the aircraft before it crashed. The airplane took some sharp turns in a short period of time. “Additionally, eyewitnesses on the ground stated that the airplane was wobbling before it crashed.” The document also indicated that no passengers on the doomed flight were from Pennsylvania. In the document, Swanton wrote about cell phone calls placed to Westmoreland County emergency dispatchers, and others placed by at least three people prior to the crash. FBI agents have taken possession of all tapes and are examining them, but they have not come forward with details about them. The first call, which came in to county dispatchers at 9:58 a.m., was from a man who locked himself in the plane’s bathroom. He told dispatchers, “We are being hijacked; we are being hijacked,” and he described the plane as “going down” while reporting an explosion and “white smoke coming from the plane.” Please see Right/Page All Karen Kiser of Altoona lights a votive candle at Our Lady of Mount Carmel at Eighth Avenue and lith Street, Altoona, during her lunch break Friday in memory of those who died Tuesday. SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 15, 2001IN SUNDAY’S MIRROR ► FULL-PAGE AMERICAN FLAG 500 newsstand Bush vows to rid world of evildoers The Associated Press As rescue efforts continue in the World Trade Center rubble, President Bush raises an American flag while standing on a burnt flretruck during a tour of the devastation in New York Friday. By Ron Fournier The Associated Press WASHINGTON - President Bush, vowing to “rid the world of evil,’’ called 50,000 military reservists to duty, won power from Congress to wage war on terrorists and waded into the ruins of Tuesday’s attack for a flag-waving, bullhorn-wielding show of resolve. “I can hear you,” Bush told hundreds of weary rescue workers Friday at the World Trade Center in New York. “The rest of the world hears you, and the people who knocked these buildings down will hear all of us soon.” Cheers of “USA! USA!” rang out across the scarred landscape — a brief moment of exuberance at ground zero of the worst act of terrorism on American soil. The nation steeped in sorrow, Bush prayed with his Cabinet and attended services at Washington National Cathedral before boarding Air Force One for New York. Flanked by U.S. warplanes, the presidential jet negotiated the troubled skies for the first time since Tuesday — the day that hijackers steered four jetliners to a gruesome demise. Millions of Americans, hearing the president’s call for a day of prayer, streamed to churches, other houses of worship and civic gatherings. Others found different ways to underscore their sadness and anger. Expressions of patriotism abounded. “God bless the U.S.A,” read a sign along one of Bush’s motorcade ■ More coverage of the Attack on America / Pages AS, A IO, All, A12, Cl, C2_ routes. American flags, half-staff at government buildings, fluttered from porches across the country. “Today we mourn,” read another sign. “Tomorrow we avenge.” Congress cleared the way for action. Both houses approved $40 billion, on unanimous votes, to help the victims, to increase security and to hunt down terrorists who masterminded the attacks. With just a single House member voting in opposition, Congress also voted to let Bush exercise “all necessary and appropriate force" against the terrorists, their sponsors and their protectors. Bush gave the military authority to call 50,000 reservists to active duty for homeland defense and recovery missions. In doing so, he declared a national emergency based on Tuesday’s carnage and “the continuing and immediate threat of further attacks on the United States.” Though not part of a military mobilization, the activation was meant to signal Bush’s intent to wage a war on terrorism that advisers say could take several years and involve far more than the perpetrators of this week’s attacks. “This nation is peaceful, but fierce when stirred to anger,” Bush said in his prayer service address. Please see Bush/Page AIQ Local residents observe National Day of Prayer A * J feu.. rn I_.v    *•* ii *    ,    * I. Mirror photo by Gary M. Baranec By Jay Young and William Kibler Staff Writers It’s been 60 years since Maryann Brown’s father guarded the streets of Altoona during the nights of World War II. On Friday, the Broad Avenue resident returned to the streets her father walked on a similar noble mission. Brown was one of about 35 people who came together outside Cheryle Whipple’s house on the dark, chilly night. “I just felt it was my Amer ican duty,” Whipple said of having a gathering at her 17th Street home. Her husband, a member of the Pennsylvania National Guard, is with his unit in Germany. “He’s there. I’m alone,” she said. “Well, you won’t be alone anymore,” Brown said. Brown’s father was an air raid warden during World War II, when Brown was a little girl. It’s nights like this that spark the memories of a day when her father stomped the pavement, making sure all lights were out after air raid sirens sounded. On the dawn of a conflict like no other, Brown joined strangers as they recited the Pledge of Allegiance at 17th Street and 21st Avenue to the sound os car doors shutting. More people were marching toward the small home. It was at the end of the day that the healing began. Children and their elders looked to the sky Friday to gaze at a flag or to reach for a higher power to guide them toward an uncertain future. While many of the 423 students at Pleasant Valley Elementary School don’t understand what occurred, they learned of its importance. “Something has happened in our country that is not good,” principal Vince DiLeo told the students gathered around the school yard flagpole. In the middle of the huddled students were Kayla DeCrisch-io and Madeline Berry, dressed in red, white and blue. Please see Prayer/Page AIQTuesday’s attack won’t affect STB decision on local car shop By Craig Williams Staff Writer This week’s terrorist attack in Washington, D.C., will not affect the timetable on the Surface Trans-poration Board’s decision on the planned closing of the Hollidaysburg Car Shop. STB board members and staff were back on the job Wednesday. The STB, a regulatory arm of Congress, could make a decision next week. “It is business as usual for the STB,” said Dennis Watson, spokesman for the federal agency that regulates railroad mergers. “The board is continuing to issue decisions daily.” Shop owner Norfolk Southern Corp. plans to close the facility Oct. I, idling about 300 workers. The railroad giant cites declining economic conditions for the shutdown. The closing is being fought by state and union officials, who claim Norfolk Southern is violating promises it made to gain regulatory approval for the takeover of Conrail in 1999 — promises to keep the shops open and invest in Blair County. Please see STB/Page A9Appeals court upholds conviction, sentence in 1998 fatal car accident By Phil Ray Staff Writer A Pennsylvania appeals court has upheld the conviction and sentence for an Altoona man who killed three young Cambria County men in a 1998 traffic accident. In December, James Wolfe was sentenced to 13 to 42 years in state prison for the deaths of Leonard McConnell, 21, and Franco Del- Grande, 18, both of Cresson, and Ryan O’Neill, 22, of Lilly. Wolfe’s pickup truck crossed the centerline of Route 36 at Skyline Drive, Logan Township, Nov. 28, 1998, and slammed head-on into a car driven by O’Neill traveling in the opposite direction. Rachel Kaminski, 19, of Gallitzin and Randi Jones, 18, of Cresson, who were passengers in the O’Neill vehicle, survived the WH IMC#** HHK DELIVERY Subscription or home delivery questions: 946-7480 or (800) 287-4480 22910 00050 Bitt FOUR 9 8    6    2 Lottery numbers, A2 WEATHER Partly sunny, 65° ■ Forecast, A2 Altoona mirror [THE great combination Call us today...Make money today. -A.sk for THE GREAT COMBINATION of MIRROR CLASSIFIEDS and Phone (814) 946-7422  or fax us at (814) 946-7547 ■b HMM P LOCAL iiitiirin—iWMn QI NATION Business A9 Classifieds C4-14 Hospitals Obituaries A13 A13 • Opinion A8 0 UFI JHI SPORTS "SBW* LISP Comics D5 Local Bl >4 Movies Puzzles D3 D4 Scoreboard B5 Television D4 crash but were severely injured. Logan Township police said Wolfe was driving while drunk. But the defense, led by Altoona attorney Steven P. Passarello, told a Blair County jury that Wolfe, although he may have been drinking at a bar in Loretto before the accident, was not driving his truck. Please see Court/Page A3 FREE INSIDE ;

Clippings and Obituaries for the Altoona Mirror