Alton Telegraph (Newspaper) - November 1, 1999, Alton, Illinois
ti 11 e i na i
SERVING THE RIVERBEND SINCE 1836
I I I
Helping each other Residents donate countless hours to help United Way
TUB outlook Mostly cloudy and mild
High 73, Low 39
Page D4Vol. 164, No. 290 - 50 cents
November 1, 1999
Streak over, Rams lose to Titans 24-21
By WARREN MAYES
Telegraph sports editor
NASHVILLE, Tenn -Cinderella lost some of her luster Sunday afternoon.
The St. Louis Rams, the NFL’s only undefeated team, fell from the ranks of the unbeaten. So the carriage returned to being a pumpkin ironically on Halloween. The six-game winning streak is history now after the Tennessee Titans (6-1) scored a 24-21 victory over the Rams at sold-out Adelphia Coliseum before a raucous crowd of 66,415.
“We knew what we were in for all week," said St. Louis wide receiver Isaac Bruce. “We didn’t come here thinking to lose the football game. We came down to Nashville to win a football game. They honestly were doing the same thing"
"Hie Titans won the coin toss and marched 80 yards in ll plays on the opening drive for a touchdown and a 7-0 lead Tennessee converted two fumbles by quarterback Kurt Warner into touchdowns and the Titans led 21-0 with I minute, 24 seconds left in the first quarter.
“We dug ourselves a hole,” it Marshall Faulk
The turnovers were costly,
« YI Tell learn from this. It s not VV going to kill us.”
on the Rams’ disappointing loss Sunday
“We turned the ball over and we paid the price," Bruce said “They got some breaks that we had been getting."
Cornerback Todd Lyght said the Rams never planned on having an unbeaten season.
“We knew we were going to drop a game here and there,” Lyght said. “Take your hat off to the Titans. Those two early turnovers changed the perspective of the game."
However, St. Louis rallied in the second half to pull within three with just over two minutes left in the game. After a successful onside kick, the Rams missed a chance to tie the game when Jeff Wilkins pushed his 38-yard field goal attempt wide right with seven seconds showing
So, the Rams were saddled with their first defeat.
“There is no happiness to a loss," defensive tackle D’Marco Farr said.’“But this is not the end of the season. We’ll learn from this. It’s not going to kill
Offensive tackle Fred Miller said he would have preferred to keep winning.
“The object of the game is to win," Miller said “And I tell you what, I would have been a lot happier if we had won. "
The Rams said they felt no pressure to stay undefeated or that the streak was harmful.
“We just play one game at a time,” Bruce said. “If we were thinking about being undefeated, it was obvious we were overlooking the Tennessee Titans. And that wasn’t the case. That’s not anything we would want to happen in this locker room.
“I think we handled (being undefeated) well. We’re 6-1 and we got to face another good team (next week) in Detroit."
“We have another game next week,” he said. “We still have the rest of th* season to continue. This is just one game that * we lost and we're going to try our best to put it behind us."
Tennessee Titans cornerback Samari Rode (21) brings down St. Louis Rams wide receiver Ricky Proehl (87) after Proehl grabbed a pass from quarterback Kurt Warner for an 11-yeard gain in the second quarter on Sunday in Nashville, Tenn.
City engaged in full-speed ahead for building demolitions
By LINDA N. WELLER
Telegraph staff writer
ALTON — The city is continuing its effort full-speed to rid itself of rundown buildings whose owners have no interest in fixing them up.
So far this year, the Public Works Department or subcontractors have demolished 56 such structures. Ten more are pending in the court process. Of those 56 buildings, ll were in the Hunterstown area, said George Carter, personnel director for Alton's Building and Housing Department.
Last year, the city tore down 52 derelict structures; it demolished 48 in 1997, said assistant city attorney Allan Napp. The push to rid the city of the buildings began in May 1997, he said. Besides being eyesores, the structures are “attractive nuisances” that are dangerous to enter, are fire hazards, sometimes occupied by drifters and criminals, and attract curious children.
“The aldermen gave us the budget to do it, and we are actively pursuing it," Napp said.
Some $32,000 is allocated for demolitions in the 1999-2000 city budget.
City officials hope strict inspections will eliminate future problems of old buildings getting to the point where they have to be torn down.
“We are trying not to let houses get that bad,” Napp said. “The inspectors are taking an aggressive stance.
“I can only praise Mayor (Don) Sandidge. It will be a nice-looking town between this, what Dennis Dugan (director of housing and community development) is doing and the city’s facade program,” he said.
“We’re bringing the neighborhoods back,” Napp said. “Where we’ve torn down these houses, neighbors are fixing up their homes left and right. It’s a snow-
■ See DEMOLITIONS, Page A7
Five die over holiday weekend
Egypt Air jetliner crash leaves 217 dead
By DENNIS GRUBAUGH
Telegraph staff writer
Tragedy visited the Telegraph area time and again during the weekend, leaving five people dead in three unrelated accidents.
Three people from Mississippi died just after 9 a.m. Sunday when a tractor-semitrailer tipped over onto their pickup truck at the juncture of Interstates 255 and 55-70.
Early Saturday, an 18-year-old girl from Macoupin County died when the vehicle in which she was riding failed to negotiate a sharp turn, ran off the roadway and struck an embankment. Police have charged a 14-year-old boy who was driving the vehicle.
Later Saturday, a Brighton
man died after a large, earthmoving machine he was operating slid down an embankment and turned over, pinning him underneath, authorities said.
The Sunday interstate incident occurred when a traetor-trailer driven by Robert W. Herek II, 26, of Berwyn, overturned as it negotiated an entrance ramp leading from westbound Interstate 55-70 to southbound 1-255 at Collinsville, police said.
Reconstructionists are still trying to determine the cause, Illinois State Police Trooper Ralph Timmins said.
The entrance ramp is about three-quarters of a mile long and has two lanes. Authorities are not sure if the victims in the pickup were parked along the ramp curve
or moving in a traffic lane.
Herek was driving a trailer loaded with 15,000 pounds of frozen food, Timmins said. He was taken to Anderson Hospital and his injuries were not believed to be life-threatening.
The victims, all from Pontotoc, Miss., were identified as the driver, William Freeman, 43; Samela G. Freeman, 47; and Indialee T. Roye. Roye’s age and the relationship of the victims was not immediately known.
“Our thoughts and prayers go out to the families affected by this tragedy,” said Capt. Diana Sievers, commander of State Police District ll.
Investigation of the crash will continue today, Timmins
■ See WEEKEND. Page A7GoodMorning
Bulletin Board B2,B4
Forsythe, Savage, Stamper, Stauffer
BOSTON (AP) - An EgyptAir jetliner with 217 people on board, including dozens of U.S. tourists, plunged into the ocean off Nantucket Island on Sunday en route from New York to Cairo. Searchers found debris and human remains scattered across the sea but no sign of survivors.
Authorities said there was no distress call from the pilots before the Boeing 767 plummeted to the sea in two minutes from 33,000 feet. Though the FBI and other intelligence agencies began checking on the possibility of sabotage, President Clinton and other officials said there was no immediate indication of foul play.
Searchers found two partially inflated life rafts, life jackets, seat cushions abd other small debris, none with any burn marks, said Coast Guard Rear Adm. Richard M. Larrabee. Finding such marks on some of the debris could suggest the possibility of a fire or explosion aboard the plane.
Alan Lewis, chief executive of the Boston-based travel agency Grand Circle Corp., said the plane was carrying a group of 54 people — all over 50 — bound for a 14-day drip to Egypt and the Nile. He said most of the travelers were from Colorado, Arizona and the Pacific Northwest.
■ See CRASH, Page A7
The Telegraph/RUSS SMITH
The city has begun the legal process of tearing down this condemned house at 1306-1308 E. Fourth St. in Alton as part of an effort to clean up derelict properties.