Order a high-quality 18"x24" poster print of this page. Add to Cart

Albert Lea Centennial Tribune Newspaper Archives Jun 7 1957, Page 73

Low-resolution version. To view a high quality image

Start Free Trial
Albert Lea Centennial Tribune (Newspaper) - June 7, 1957, Albert Lea, Minnesota Out of the old new unitarian Fellowship newest in county to join family of Christian churches used two churches a this is the old universalist Church building on Clark St. In 1911. When the universalist society disbanded in Albert Lea the building was taken Over by Salem lutheran Church Albert Lea. Services were held there until 1922 when the present building was erected at the Corner of water and Washington. The Rev. L. W. Steckel was pastor of Salem Church at that time. This photograph is used through the Courtesy of l. A Spicer. Met language need a Salem lutheran Church made significant gains Salem English evangelical Luth j the Rev. Charlesj Dion was Cran Church of Albert Lea Cele j called in 1948. He came to Albert Brates the 50th anniversary of its Lea from Lakeville. Rev. Dion re founding this year. This Church was organized in order to satisfy the need for a pure signed Wash. The in 1952 to go to Seattle Rev. George e. Dressier by English speaking Luth e r a n was called in 1952, coming from Waukesha. Wis. He is the present pastor of Salem Church. The congregation is making plans for building a Parish House on the m. A. Neudecker property which was purchased some months ago. Present officers of Salem lutheran congregation Are vice president. Herbert Neibuhr Secretary j. William Hanson and treasurer Roger c. Nelson. The Church trustees Are j. William Hanson Herbert Neibuhr. Roger c. Nelson and Lloyd b. Peterson. Deacons Are Herbert Neibuhr j. William Hanson Roger c. Nelson John Hayek Lloyd b. Peterson. William Stone John Olson f. Dale Wells Irwin Volkman Arthur Luedtk and a Dell Gunderson. Chippewa tribe had language of difficulty one of the hardest tasks of the Minnesota Frontier was to learn the Indian languages. Early traders had to talk the Langu Ages of their customers. The missionaries spent a Large part of their lives in trans Iauco and making dictionaries of the Sioux and Chippewa languages. With the exportation of the Sioux after the outbreak of 1862 the knowledge of this language was not important. Chippewa is spoken to this Day and for hundreds of years White men have sought knowledge of this language. Ability to t a i k with the indians in their own words often came slowly. In fact there were Many chippewas who Learned to talk English before the englishmen could Converse in Chippewa. There were also Many chippewas who Learned French before the English came. That language was virtually Universal on the Minnesota Frontier a Century ago. Those who know the Chippewa language describe it As Beautiful and euphonious. Its sounds Are soft and musical. Harshness is unknown. There Are Many words verbs and conjunct ions. Students of this language say that there is no idea that can be expressed in English that cannot be Well spoken in Chippewa. One of the Early missionaries to Minnesota who spoke nine languages said that Chippewa was the most difficult for him to learn. Church in Albert Lea and Vicinity. About 55 years ago a transitional period was occurring in the history of lutheran churches in the Northwest. It was the passing from the Mother tongues of German norwegian swedish and danish into the English language. The Young people of the Church grew up with the English language and unless the lutheran Church provided English. They drifted away from the churches of their parents. Julius e. Nelson wrote to the Rev. Frank e. Jensen Field missionary for the Synod of the Northwest. Who at the time was a Busy with the organization of the English lutheran Church at Lindstrom. A year elapsed before he was Able to come to Albert Lea and look Over the Field for a purely English speaking lutheran Church at Albert Lea. The first meeting was held april 18. 1907, at the Home of a. U. Mayland. A committee was appointed to secure a Church or suitable place of worship. Committee members were l. J. Okre a u. Mayland h. F. Wittmer and Julius e. Nelson. The Constitution of the Church was adopted on april 19, 1907. At the Julius Nelson Home. On May i 1907, at the Home of Martin Wulff the committee advised that the universalist Church building had been secured for services. This Church was located on w. Clark South of Central Park a Church Council was elected members were a. U. Mayland Julius Nelson l. J. Okre c. L. Swenson Luman land and h. F. Wittmer. Julius Nelson was elected the first sunday school superintendent. Had 46 members the charter membership consisted of 46 confirmed members. Total confirmed and baptized membership was 97. The name of the Church Salem meaning peace was approved. On May 5, 1907, the first Church service was held and incorporation was completed o n july to the trustees were Julius Nelson a. U. Mayland and c. L. Swenson. In special session on july 23, 1907, the congregation extended a Call to the Rev. John Keehley of Minneapolis. This Call was accepted and Rev. Keehley moved with his family to Albert Lea in november of that year. The new Church prospered and was developed along All lines of Church activities under the leadership of Rev. Keehley. He served the congregation until March to 1910. The Rev. A. J. D. Haupt d. D. Was called to serve As Salem a pastor and he moved to Albert Lea from Philadelphia on july 18, 1910, or. Haupt was Active among the Young people and organized the knights of Wartburg which was a forerunner of the boy scouts. While or. Haupt was pastor of Salem his daughter Margar e to was commissioned in Pittsburgh pa., As a missionary to India on nov. 3, 1913. Or. Haupt resigned to enter juvenile court work in St. Paul. The Rev. L. W. Steckel was called As pastor in january of 1914 and moved to Albert Lea from Platte vip \ wis. Rev. Steckel was an aide Leader and a devoted pastor. During his pastorate the pre sent Church edifice was erected on the Corner of water and Washington. The Corner Stone for the building was Laid with appropriate services in August of 1922. Rev. Steckel was instrumental in the organization of Grace English lutheran Church at Alden and Faith English lutheran 1 Church at Walters lie resigned to go to Milwaukee in 1923 served until 1928 the Rev. M. A. Haker called and accepted in 1923, coming to Albert Lea from Marinette wis. He served Salem Church until 1928. The Rev. W. J. Strom Berg w As called a pastor in 1928. Coming from Grace English lutheran Church Aldea. He served la Albert Lea for a period of 20 years. During his pastorate the Church property was altered Ai All indebtedness with appropriate divine services on aug. I ims. Rev. Fat rom Berg resigned in 1948 to go to Sioux City Iowa. French founded first Mission at Frontenac the first of Minnesota a lakes to be seen by traveler from t h e South was Lake Pepin on the Mississippi. A who came northward on the big River passed through it. One of the most interesting place on this Lake la Frontenac. In the fall of 1727 a body of French soldiers under command of Simeur de la farriers founded a trading Post on the Point that project from the weal Side of the Lake. Besides the soldiers and the fur traders there were two priests. On was father Louis Guinas. Homes were built for priests and soldiers a surrounded with a protective log Wall. The fort was named be a us a in Honor of the governor of Canada. Trouble Between the Sioux and Fox indians threatened the Mission and for. Guinas left after a year three years later he returned with some soldiers and rebuilt the fort on higher ground. Trouble still persisted. In 1738 the indians scalped two Frenchman near the fort and burned the Fence around for. Gulf Naan Garden. In the Spring of the following year the frenchmen burned the fort so it would not be used by the Indiana and left never to return the Mission of St. Michael the archangel a for. Guinas called it lasted for but seven years la Nam was later Given to the Chapel by Tho who built the Convent and Academy on the land reputed to be the site of the rebuilt tort. Unitarianism a one of the oldest of non roman Catholic religions a is one of the newcomers to the Freeborn county scene. The Albert Lea Fellowship is less than a year old. There have been unitarians in the county almost from its inception but these have been few. There is record of an earlier Fellowship but it passed in time. Less than a year ago a few professed unitarians invited Monroe husbands of Boston to meet with a group of like minded people to explain unitarianism. As a result of his visit a study group was formed. It now numbers about two dozen people who meet on alternate sunday nights to study the worlds religions. The Albert Lea Fellowship has officially petitioned for recognition. At a meeting in March by Laws were adopted and officers elected. The preamble to the Constitution Calls for a intelligent quest of truth from whatever chairman is Orville Gil in o r a High school teacher and a John Hay fellow of Columbia University by Cook High school teacher at Wells Don Petran agricultural Engineer treasurer and Ken Allen editor Secretary. The Fellowship takes world literature As a Well Spring of knowledge listens to recorded sermons of great religionists works out assignments among its members and undertakes the study of the Best of Mankind a thoughts. An earlier group there Are dim memories of a unitarian group that seems to have been entered around Glenville years ago but nobody seems to recall much about the group. One Glenville Man says he believes the group went to Albert Lea for meetings. Beginnings of the uni t a r i a n movement Are equally obscure. The movement cannot be traced to any single teacher nor to any specific Date it had its sources in the thoughts of Many minds in Many lands. In essence unitarians believe in one god a the father. This is in contrast to most current Christian beliefs in god As a Trio Ity a god son and holy spirit. The real significance of the movement is imperfectly stated in the name. Its real importance lies in its teachings concerning Mankind and the nature and work of Jesus. During the 17th Century separate religious Community i e s arose in Poland Hungary and England. The name was attached in England from when the movement spread to the United states. The Bibl Only the societies took seriously the Rule of the a Bible and the Bible in 1792 unitarians petitioned the English parliament for the right to examine scriptural writing and publish their findings. Orville Gilmore. Quest for truth the movement has been characteristic in its demand for personal religious Freedom and for Clear distinct and coherent Eligi o u s thought and teachings. In 1662 More than 2,000 English clergymen lost their pulpits under the act of uniformity. Among these was Richard Baxter who put his Mark on the movement by seek tog to diminish the a number of essentials and some of the ejected clergymen arrived at the conviction that a a trinitarians were in error in the whole scheme of salvation with inherited guilt eternal punishment and vicarious atonement. Penal Laws against dissenters from the Trinity were not repealed until 1813. An association was formed in 1825. Today Many English belong to the unitarian Church. By the beginning of Ute 19th Century unitarian christianity was broadly speaking a biblical religion that rejected creeds and attached Little importance to rituals. Revised theology this system in its turn gave Way to a revised theology which was part of the changed Outlook on the world and human history due mostly to development of scientific and historical knowledge during the 19th Century. A steady movement of doctrine can be traced among English unitarian ministers and laymen. The unitarians no longer find the seat of authority Only within the pages of even the Best and broadest of books but in the a religious history and experience interpreted by the reason and conscience of Many unitarians have undergone persecution by larger history e churches of Christendom but these trials Only infused a certain habit of mind a of Independent judg doors have had a part in religious ceremonies the door however fantastic or Humble has Given Rise to More ritual symbolism superstition and lore than any other single part of a building the National geographic society says. Philadelphia s Christ Church reserves use of its Washington door to United states presidents. One of the few known exceptions was made in 1948 when Gen. Dwight Sisters Aid education of All catholics the Sisters of St. Francis have been in Albert Lea Ainee they first came to staff St. Theodore Grade school which was opened in 1911. They have however worked in the diocese of Winona since 1877. It was Early in that year when Mother m. Alfred Mora a member of the slaters of St. Francis of Joliet 111., saw Minnesota far the first time having come with the intention of opening an Academy far girls in the Southern part of the state. A site was purchased in Owatonna on May 28, 1877, a second site was purchased in Rochester. The Cornerstone for t h Rochester building was Laid in june 13�?z 1877. The Academy in Owatonna opened in september 1887 on december third Aith same year school began in the new Convent and Academy in Rochester. On dec. 23, by act of the Bishop of Chicago the slaters then in Minnesota were separated from the Mother Houa in Joliet and were established As an Independent congregation under Thuu of our lady Lourdes. Twenty a four Sisters with Mother Alfred Farmed the new congregation. Today the congregation of slaters which Mother Alfred founded in Rochester 80 years ago number 875 living member including 70 Novice and 40 Post lants or candidate. The slaters staff 22 High schools and 40 Grade schools. The fallowing former residents of Albert Lea have become franciscan sister sister m. Aquina t a Agnes Sippl Slater m. Bertrand Luella Cecilia Rockwell later m. Edith Mabel Whelan Slater m. Edwardine Bernice Sippl sister m. Ignatia Bertha Sippi it sister Mary Jude Bernadette Servat Slater m. Zenobia Mary France Whelan deceased Slater m. De or or Janet Mary Sullivan and Slater m. Lionel Joan Katherine Erpenbach. D. Eisenhower visited the Church. Folk tales Akhund with magic doors forbidden doors and enchanted doors. In ancient India it was believed that souls dwell beneath the threshold. Some country Folk in Ireland Scotland and Northern England open doors when a person is dying to Ess passage of the soul. The custom of carrying the Bride Over the threshold however is based on logic. In Olden Days huge Sills Farmed a part of the House Odds were Good that a Starr eyed Bride might trip at the door. Doors As an architectural form hav had a somewhat belated but splendid career. Little is known about doors of Antiquity. Great temples at Nineveh Babylon and Ephesus had doorways but n o doors. Primitive dwellings merely had openings big enough to crawl through. Skins linens tapestries and silk hangings served As cover until ancient architect Learned to provide better privacy and Protection with thin Stone slabs and Board tied with thong. The israelite after fleeing from Egypt in about 1300 b. A and settling in Canaan constructed doors of both Stone and Wood. The threshold was considered sacred. The doors of King Solomon s Temple were made of Olive Wood the Bible relates that he a carved upon them carvings of cherubim and Palm Trees and open Flowers and overlaid them with the oldest authentic door relics a Bronze pivots and Banda rom a away plan tempi at Balarat. Carvings on the Metal bands depict the heroics of Shalm Aneser Iii a great assyrian emperor who died about 825 b. C. La roman mythology Janus was the god of doorways Beno the Patron of All entrances and beginning. A Janus Arch in the forum featured an immense door that was kept open Only in wartime this door was closed just four times before the Christian Era roman families apparently attached More symbolism than practicality to the door. They left House doors open during absences and closed them on return i n g. Strange As the practice May seem it corresponds with colonial americans custom of leaving a Latch string hanging outside the door. Door building rocked a Peak during the Middle age. Sculptors poured their talents into the monastic Church and particularly the great Central door. Thee magnificent example of sculpture combined with architecture Hee erne so massive they were opened Only in special occasions. Ment of bringing opinions to the bar of Strong common sense of proving All things and holding fast that which is Good a Harvard College has Long been representative of the Best of unitarian thought and Many new England clergymen hold to that Faith. King s Chapel in Boston under James Freeman was first to accept the Faith. Thomas Jefferson was certain unitarianism we Ould become a kind of state religion. He Learned of it from priestly. But unitarians do not believe in missionary work. They Are Content to remain Small. The total number in in United states is probably less than 200,-000. Many great men from Small numbers unitarians have produced a great Many men and women of history. The following list is from a recent Publica ton a Thomas Jefferson was a unitarian. Also president John Adams and his son John Quincy Adams. Ben Franklin held unitarian beliefs and was a close Friend of the English unitarian minister Priestley the discoverer of oxygen and founder of unitarian churches in America. Tom Paine was a unitarian. Madison Mason and Monro held unitarian views. Emerson Longfellow Thoreau Walt Whitman Mark Twain Bret Harte and Many other writ Era Down to Thomas Wolfe were unitarians though not All of them were members of a unitarian Church. Scientists have frequently been unitarians As for example Steinmetz and Morse. A other unitarians were Daniel Webster Theodore Parker Julia Ward Howe Susan b. Anthony also Horace Mann founder of the Public schools Dorothea Dix reformer of prisons and founder of hospitals Henry Bellows founder of the sanitary commission which developed into the american red Cross Gridley Howe who pioneered the movement Foi care of the Blind Henry Bergh who founded the society for the prevention of cruelty to animals. In England Florence Nightingale was a unitarian As were Martineau and Milton and Many others influential in Public life. Returning to the United states several justices of the supreme court have been unitarians As for instance Oliver Wendell Holmes William Howard Taft and. At the present Lime or. Justice Burton. A five president of the United states were unitarian. Among contemporary leaders in government May be mentioned senators Douglas Hrusk a and Saltonstall Chester Bowles mayor Clark of Philadelphia Adlai Cornerstone placed a in april 1955, the new Citadel of the salvation army was dedicated. Capt. T. H. Martin divisional commander Minneapolis is shown at the ceremony when the Cornerstone of the building was Laid. It took eight years of study and planning to build the new Citadel which stands at 302 court St. Tribune photo cry of streets a salvation army gained Start 60 years ago the salvation army corps at Albert Lea was opened in january 1896, by it. Bander As a swedish corps. In november 1898, it was transferred to the midwestern chief division. This corps was dropped for a time but re opened again in july 1917, As part of he Minnesota and North and South Dakota division. The officer in charge was Ensign Ada Taylor with capt. Bessie Norris As her assistant. In april 1920, the corps moved from Euclid to 138 w. William during the time capt. And mrs. Fra n k Tremont were the officers i n charge. The Citadel site was Chan god from its position Ham to the new building at 302 court in 1955, it took eight years of study and planning to build this new Citadel. Dedication services were held april 12, 1955. It. Col. T. H. Martin of Minneapolis divisional commander. Gave the address. H i a concluding remark was a charge to the Albert Lea officers Ever to be Alert to heed the cry of the a report of 1952 shows that the salvation army a heeded this cry. A in aiding the families of our Community we have Given 27 grocery orders la fuel orders and aided five families with rent. We have made available to the Public our clothing room and we have Given out 2,025 garments and 92 pairs of shoes. Two were Given medical Aid and four Small amounts of Cash or other Quot the army stands ready to help the wayfarer who finds himself in Albert Lea cold and hungry. The meal consists of a hot pork or at 138 w. Wll beef Sandwich with drink and their Choice up to 40 cents. A have Given out 130 meals loth lest six months a the 1951 report continues. A the women a group meet each week for a Tim of spiritual enrichment and work with their hands for the Good of Tho Lese fortunate. They have made and Given out six layettes Given too for Albert Lea Tribune Friday june 7, 1957 a. J j Church order gave word to Minnesota when Columbus made his Sec Ond journey across the Atlantic in 1493 he was accompanied by 13 priests of the Benedictine order. This Branch of the roman Catholic Priesthood was then More than a thousand years of age. It is an interesting fact that the first of the Pioneer roman Catholic churchmen in Early Minnesota were of this order. In 1856 monsignor later to become Bishop Cretin asked the Headquarters of the Benedictine order in Pennsylvania to Send help for the Mission work in Minnesota. Three Young men came. One Val father Demetrius Marogna. The other two were Cornelius Wittman and Bruno Hiss who were ordained As priests after they arrived in St. Paul. This was the first ordination in Minnesota. These three men left immediately for Stearns county. To this ares along the Mississippi was then coming the Vanguard of a great settlement of roman Catholic people from Germany and Austria. Father Pierz then on the Crow River welcomed help and gave the newly arrived priests the use of a log Chapel just built St Sauk rapids under these four Pioneer priests Many important activities were begun. Churches were built lands secured and schools constructed. In 1857 the Benedictines established St. John s College. It opened in the fall of that year with six pupils. In the years from 1856 through 1867 the Benedictine order sent 12 priests Aud seven Lay Brothers to the area near St. Cloud. Fifteen churches were built in Stearns and Benton counties. Foreign missions and bought 24 folding chairs for the basement. The group has also visited the rest Homes of the City singing songs and giving words of encouragement wherever members of the salvation army advisory Board Are Orville Pask. Chairman or. T. M. Gui. Ken Allen Secretary Verner Henry treasurer o. Russell Olson Charles upon Harold j. Spier c. J. Leu Man a. C. Wilby the Rev. Harold o. Mcneil Albert g. Roto. Mel Solberg Dick Diekema and l. R. Lilja. Capt. And mrs. Robert Flowers had charge of the Albert Lea corps from August 1950 until june 1966 when they were transferred to Duluth. Capt. And mrs. George Hogg Are presently la charge. Hartland and Manchester Synod lutheran churches la \ it of. Frt to v so tit to it vow i of Quot in ii l Hartland services 11.00 a Mon the 1st, 3rd, 5th sunday 9 00 on the 2nd and 4th sunday Manchester services 11 00 . On the 2nd and 4th sundays 9 00 . On the 1st, 3rd, 5th sundays w8 preach today the Samb gospel that the pioneers enjoyed romans 3 24 a therefore we conclude that a Man it justified by Faith without the deeds of the Law a Paul Ylvisaker Raifor

Search all Albert Lea, Minnesota newspaper archives

All newspaper archives for June 7, 1957

Browse
Order a high-quality 18"x24" poster print of the page above.