Order a high-quality 18"x24" poster print of this page. Add to Cart

Albert Lea Centennial Tribune Newspaper Archives Jun 7 1957, Page 53

Low-resolution version. To view a high quality image

Start Free Trial
Albert Lea Centennial Tribune (Newspaper) - June 7, 1957, Albert Lea, Minnesota Mj.,. A. To hit Albert Lea Tribune daughter Church a round Prairie gave Lunder first Start by the Rev. A. C. Korsrud the Lunder lutheran Church a daughter congregation of the round Prairie Church was so named because Many of the founders and their families were members o f Lunder Church in Sok Redalen nor Way. Dedication of the Church was held sept. 30, 1906, by or. Hans g. Steeb president of the norwegian Synod of the evangelical lutheran Church. The Rev. O. T. Lee and the Rev. O. A. Sauer assisted and took part in the dedication service. New parsonage the Rev. 0. A. Rust and family pastor of the Oakland and Moscow lutheran churches Are the first to occupy this new parsonage which was built in 1955. The House was dedicated oct. 9, 1955. Services were held on the parsonage Lawn and the ladies of the Parish served lunch. Moscow lutheran Church a the Rev. 0. A. Rust serves the Oakland and Moscow lutheran churches. In 1889, the Rev. 0. H. Smeby was contacted by a representative of the Moscow Community about beginning a lutheran Church. Rev. Smeby was in Albert Lea at that time. Church dedication services were held june 26, 1910. Times hard in Early Days a Moscow pastor paid for his services with Oats and Cash in payment for his services at the Moscow lutheran Church in 1889, the Rev. O. H. Smeby received a sack of Oats donated by each Farmer three free will offerings and 130. Rev. Smeby was contacted by Berthold j. Stoa As a representative of the Community in february 1889, in regard to starting a congregation among the norwegians on the North Side of True Creek. When he asked Rev. Smeby if he could serve them the pastor replied Quot i have often thought of you people Over there isolated As it were surrounded by water and Marsh on three having received encouragement from the interview a meeting was arranged for March 18, 1889. At the schoolhouse District no. 120, for the purpose of organizing a congregation it was unanimously voted Tot adopt the con suttion and by Laws of the Hayward congregation. The name chosen was the Moscow norwegian evangelical lutheran con Grega Uon. Berthold j. Stoa acted As chairman of the meeting. The officers elected were Berthold j. Stoa Secretary Ole bang trustee for one year Hana Fryden Lund trustee for two years and Anders Mollerstuen hanson1, trustee for three years. The Secretary was also elected to serve As treasurer. It was also decided to secure the services of Johannes hoist a to act As a Klokker a or Leader in hymn singing As there was no Organ or organist in those Days. As payment for his work he would receive a Load of Wood a year from each of the Farmers. Called Rev. Smeby on april 22. 1889, the meeting was continued and it was decided to Send a letter of Call to Rev. Smeby to serve As pastor of the Moscow congregation. The letter requested that the pastor conduct 12 services during the year the times to be determined by him on sundays or weekdays. For this he was to receive $30, a sack of Oats donated by each Farmer three free will offerings and ministerial fees for baptisms weddings and funerals. So the first pastor was Rev. Smeby of Albert Lea who drove with horse and buggy 22 Miles to conduct services in the sch o o 1-House, District no. 120. He had to drive by Way of Moscow Village to get across Turtle Creek since there was no Bridge West of Moscow Village at that time. When the Creek was Low they forded it Down by Gullickson until 1909 when the Bridge was built there and another Bridge built to the West on the town line Between Moscow and Riceland towns i p s. Services were conducted in the schoolhouse once a month and oftener until 1910 when the Moscow lutheran Church was built. At a special meeting held feb. 21, 1894, it was resolved that the Moscow congregation Call the same pastor As Hayward and Oakland. Another meeting held dec. 5, 1896, Ben Bridley was elected his salary for the year consisted of one Load of Wood from each Farmer or 75 cents a year from those who had no Wood for Sale. The following year Wood As salary was discontinued and each family paid 75 cents a year from then on. On dec. 15, 1899, members voted to discontinue the annual donation of a sack of Oats from each Farmer and that each one should pay 50 cents extra instead. The trustees had previously gone from House to House gathering the Oats and delivering them to the parsonage. The ministers salary was raised to $50 a year at another meeting. Officers elected Berthold j. Stoa served As Secretary of the congregation from the time it was organized until his death in 1922, except for five years 1905 to 1909, when Martin t. Stoa served As Secretary. Past treasurers Are Martin t. Stoa who served for to years until 1895, John Nordby for nine years and Elling Soli for 23 years. In 1936 Oscar Stoa was elected treasurer and served until 1944. Ivan Johnson served two years John Nordby or. For four years mrs. Clarence Gullickson for two years mrs. Richard Ruble for two years and Richard Bergstrom at the present time. From the congregations beginning with about 12 families the Church has grown to 38 families. Twenty years passed before a meeting was held sept. 22, 1909, to plan the building of a Church. It was under the leadership of the Rev. O. Am Halsrud. Plans were to build on the land lying adjacent to the cemetery on the North which was Given by b. J. Stoa. The building was to be 24 feet by 36 feet by 12 feet. The size of the Steeple and Sacristy were to be determined by the building committee which consisted of b. J. Stoa Martin Stoa and Elling Sou. The Church building was compte Ted in the Spring of 1910 and dedication services held june 26, 1910 the District president Rev Vangsness was in charge. Several visiting pastors were pre sent among them o. H. Smeby h. J strand and Magna Endresen who assisted Rev. Am Halsrud at the dedication. The first funeral held in the new Church was that of Ole n. Wiker a Pioneer resident the first in Fant baptism was that of Kermit Merrill Underdahl and Emil Christian Nordby. First wedding was the marriage of Helen Stoa and Peter m. Hanson a member of the Hayward congregation in the Parish. A Mission festival was usually held in the fall with services in the Forenoon and afternoon neighbouring pastors As guest speakers. As there was no basement under the Church until 1932, the members of the ladies Aid served the dinner in tents which were set up on the Lawn beside the Church. An interesting item found in the reports of the annual meetings is that b. J. Stoa furnished Wood for heating the Church for $1 a year. This continued until dec. 12, 1916, when it was voted to pay him $2 a year. Built basement although it was the time of the depression the ladies Aid hired the Joe Wehner construction company to excavate and Complete a basement for the Church. They also installed a new Furnace and Kitchen equipment paid for painting and redecorating the Church and Laid a new carpet in the Church Chancel. A special meeting was held june 4, 1951, to discuss plans for remodelling the Church. Merrill Smeby John Nordby and John Soli were on the building committee. Paul Olson contractor from Hayward was hired. Elected to the finance committee were George m. Nelson Ivan Johnson and Jose p h Stoa. An addition was added to the West end of the Church and a room in the Northeast Corner leading to the Belfry. The ceiling and inside Walls of the Church were rebuilt gothic style with the new addition finished As the Chanc e i choir room Sacristy and stairway to the basement. New electric wiring and Church fixtures were installed. In the basement the Kitchen was finished in the new addition and a Nursery and Furnace room were included. A loud speaker and record player donated by Alfred sme by and family in the fall of 1951 in memory of mrs. Alfred Smeby was installed by Bill Schmidt of Minneapolis a son in Law of Smeby. The rededication of the Church was held aug. 31, 1952. Services were held in norwegian and in the English language. Dedication was by District president the Rev. E. C. Reinertson assisted by the revs. F. J. Bolton b. L. Schroder g. K. Berg m. D. Hide lie a. R. H. Johnson s. J. Fretheim and c. S. Pederson. Joined Hayward Palish Moscow lutheran ogre Gate o n joined trondhjem Hayward and Oakland in 1889 to form the Hayward Parish. They were served by one pastor until 1954. Rev. Reinert son president of the Minnesota District of the e.l.c., found it necessary to realign these congregations and Hayward and trondhjem were joined As were Moscow and Oakland. The Rev. Art h u r Vorhes was called As pastor to the Hayward and trondhjem congregations. The Rev. O. A. Rust came to Oakland and Moscow on March 15, 1955. There was no parsonage for the pastor of the Oakland and Moscow churches at that time. At a meeting held oct. 20, 1954, it was decided to build the parsonage on the West Side of the Road across from the Church on a tract of land purchased from b. M. Legreid for $399. Members of the building committee from Moscow congregation were John Nordby Clayton Stoa and Harold Bauers. Those from Oakland were Frank Anderson p. The Lunder lutheran Church is located two Miles Northeast o / twin lakes. Those who took the initial step to build a Church were Anders Overland Gulbrand Moen and Paul Oppegaard. Each of these men contributed $100 to Start the building fund for the new Church and before Long others came Forward with their gifts. Those who were unable to give Cash donations offered to donate their time and labor. The building program got underway shortly after a ladies Aid meeting held at the farm Home of or. And mrs. Sam Narveson about two Miles North of twin lakes. This historic meeting b of place in the summer of 1905. Neighbors and friends at round Prarle together with business men at Albert Lea were among the contributors to the building fund. Halvor Selstad was the Stone Mason hired and Ole Emstad and Ole Thompson were the carpenters. The work progressed so rapidly that the building was used for services in february 1906. Women built too an interesting note in the minutes of the ladies Aid of those Early years shows that the women did not stand idly by while the men were building the Church. Here is a description of the preparations made for the first service in the new Church Early in 1906. The committee on arrangements consisted of mrs. Elling Isaacson mrs. Paul Oppegaard and mrs. Chris Larson. They cleaned the floor and placed planks on Nail kegs to serve As pews. A planing Bench served As a pulpit. The first child baptized in the new Church was Elmer Leroy Overland son of or. And mrs. Knudt a. Overland on dec. 9, 1906. Others baptized in 1906 were Franklin John Nelson son of or. And mrs. John Nelson Alfred Sorenson son of or. And mrs. Peder Sorenson and Mabel Lilian Nelson daughter of or. And mrs. Stephen Nelson. The first wedding performed in the Church was that of Nels Hayne and Clara Overland in april 1907. Members of the first confirmation class were Emma Hovland Clara k. Knutson and Leon James. Dedication of the parsonage Wras Oppegaard Joseph Overland and held oct. 9, 1955, with Rev. Rust Alvin Overland. The first funeral in charge. Open House was held service was held oct. 20, 1906, for after the service with lunch served mrs. Lubrand Moen. The first cushy the ladies of the Oakland and to Dian was Kristian Hovland. Moscow congregations. Pastors who have served the congregation Are t. O. Tolo first resident pastor 1894 Eivind ska to 1899 o. Am Halsrud 1904 Johan Ellertson 1913 Charles Fritz 1924 Andrew nor d a u a a 1934 s. O. Sorlie 1951 and o. A rust 1954 to present. Mrs. Obert land or. And in. Pau Loppe Gard or. And mrs. Elling Stovern or. And mrs. Gunder Gunderson or. And mrs. Sam o. Narveson or. And mrs. Lubrand Moen or. And mrs. Andrew Stovern or. And mrs. Ingvard Moen or. And mrs. Elling Isaacson or. And mrs. Kristian Hovland or. And mrs. Johannes Hagen or. And mrs. Theo Dore haraldson mrs. Oline Olson Kristine Olson and mrs. Sigrid Larson. The building committee included Paul Oppegaard Elling Isaacson and Sam o. Narveson. Special Observance the 25th anniversary was observed on sept. 20, 1931, with or t. F. Gullixson president of Lur theological Seminary of St Paul and prof. Bert Narveson a Northfield As guest speakers. The 50th anniversary was observed on sept. 30, 1956. Guest speakers were the Rev. E. A weeks of Hayfield the Rev. A. Rustad of Faribault the Rev. Nels Flugum of Forest City prof. Berf Narveson of Northfield. Or. Ignatius Bjorlee of Glenville and the Rev. A. C. Korsrud. Mrs. Russell Bakken was the organist. During the past 18 months the Church has been renovated and Many improvements have been made. A new carpet was Laid new Light fixtures installed and the ladies Aid bought new Oak pews for the 50th anniversary. The Kitchen was modernized and knotty Pine wainscoting was put in the Church Parlours. The secretaries of the congregation have been Knut Overland 1905 to 1922 Nels Hayne 1923 to 1928 m. R. Oppegaard 1929 to 1934 and Henry Bjerke 1934 to present. Officers of the congregation for 1957 Are president. Rev. Korsrud Secretary Henry Bjerke and treasurer mrs. Melvin Overland. The trustees Are Olav Haugen Ervin Stenseth and Carlisle Gunderson. George Vocora is head usher. Deacons Are Melvin Overland and Alfred Rugland. The organist is mrs. R. V. M. Bakken and the assistant organist is Phyllis Gunderson. Alfred Rugland is the Sexton. Members of the Bible school committee Are Knute Nelson and William Hagen. Ole Thompson and Willi a m Hagen Are the auditors. Members of the grounds committee Are Melvin Overland and Carlisle Gunderson. Clifford Thompson and Carl Nesje Are members of the membership committee. The custodian is Melvin Overland. Officers of the ladies Aid ant president mrs. James Herth vice president mrs. C. O. Gunderson Secretary mrs. Alton Gavle and treasurer mrs. Parnell Oppegard. Luther league officers Are president Phyllis Gunderson Vic president Milo Oppegard Secretary Berdine Gavle treasurer Carroll Oppegard and program chair Berg is the organist. The first Christmas program Given by the sunday school was in 1906. Anders Thompson was the first Quot Klopper Quot and led the congregational singing until the congregation purchased in Organ Sev Man James Horgen. Eral years members of the Congre Lhasa the capital and holy City Ballon were or. And mrs. Anders i of Tibet is often referred to m Overland or. And mrs. Knudt Over-1 Quot the forbidden _ of first lutheran Church Glenville Minn. The first lutheran Church of Glenville a organized in March 7, 1910 and at the first business meeting 0. A. Sailer was elected president of the congregation. Services were held in the methodist Church until june 1st, 1921 when the present building was dedicated. During the last 37 years the congregation has increased from 30 families to 490. Sunday school a 9 30 each sunday divine worship 10 30 every other Sun. Services catechumens 8 30 each saturday pastor a. C. Korsrud Salem since 1907 the preaching of the word a n d the administration of the sacraments Quot that they May know him Quot Jesus lord redeemer Kins pallor have previously served her flock Salem. Fifty years in kingdom work years in witness to Jesus Christ our lord years in the training of Christian people Salem now builds a Parish House the Rev. Geo. E. Dressler pastor since 1954 Salem worships Matins 1 30 sunday school 9 30 chief service 11 00 the sacrament of the holy communion the pint sunday of the month. Aho following Loch service Ivery sunday

Search all Albert Lea, Minnesota newspaper archives

All newspaper archives for June 7, 1957

Browse
Order a high-quality 18"x24" poster print of the page above.