Order a high-quality 18"x24" poster print of this page. Add to Cart

Adelaide Southern Cross Newspaper Archives Sep 12 1947, Page 1

Low-resolution version. To view a high quality image

Start Free Trial
Adelaide Southern Cross (Newspaper) - September 12, 1947, Adelaide, South Australia National Library of Australia fifty Golden years Marist Brothers Jubilee in South Australia As religious orders go the Marist Brothers Are very Young it is Only 130 years since their foundation. But few As Are their years their growth has been remarkable their achievement immense for now numbering tens of thousands they Are carrying on missionary work and teaching throughout the world. This article commemorating the Golden Jubilee of the Marist Brothers in South Australia gives a Short account of the order s origin and outlines the work of the Brothers in this state. To was in the year 1817, on january 2, in a Remote Hamlet called Laval la in the diocese of Lyons prance that the birth of the Institute of the Little Brothers of Mary took place. The instrument in the hands of god to set this work on its Way was a Humble priest now known to thou Sands the world Over As the venerable Marcellin Champagnat the cause of whose beatification is proceeding. Foundation father Champagnat in the course of his priestly labors soon saw the dire need there was of teachers for the children of the Countryside. France had just emerged from those trying Days of the revolution and the Napo Leonic Rule and was in great need of spiritual revival. Father Champagnat with unbounded Confidence in god and great Trust in our lady whom he styled his Ordinary re source set about solving his own difficulties. He confided his plan of an order of teaching Brothers to a promising youth who together with a few companions formed the foundation of the Institute that has since spread its branches throughout the world. The first Brothers were trained in the religious life by the Good father himself he enlisted the services of a pious gentleman who gave them instruction in teaching methods and soon the hamlets of the District were provided with teachers whose main object was the Christian instruction of children. The demand for More Brothers was most press ing and thanks to prayer Large numbers of Well disposed youths came Forward. At the time of the founder s death in 1840, there were no fewer than 45 Marist schools in France. Australia meeting a Challenge the work continued to be blessed by god and the services of Marist Bro thers were sought for by the ecclesiastical authorities in other countries. In 1871, a Community of four Bro thers set sail from France for Australia in response to the invitation of archbishop Vaughan who was faced with the problem of providing Catholic schools when the unjust Secu Lar system of education was introduced into . By Henry Parkes. A Short time after the Brothers arrival in Sydney a novitiate was opened and australian born aspirants sought admission. These men were supplemented by More Brothers from France and soon a number of schools were opened in and around Sydney. In 1893, two foundations were made in Victoria at Kilmore and Bendigo and in 1897 the first Marist school in South Australia was opened at port Adelaide. Negotiations were made for this foundation by the Parish priest Rev. Father Williams. It was left to his successor father Enright with his. Assistant father now monsignor Davis to Welcome the Brothers to the port in november 1897. Among the original band of pupils who marched from the Sisters school on november 16 of that year Are seve ral who Are still living As the Fol lowing names will show a. Hill j. M. Hanrahan l. Molloy now Bro ther Williamj. P. Mcguire j. Mckeough t. O Loughlin m. Crowe w. Allwood g. Drew and c. Harris. The Story which follows is taken from the sacred heart College Maga Zine of 1937. Port Adelaide the port Adelaide parochial boys school was opened in november 1897, in a three roomed Brick school build ing alongside the Brothers House in Rev. Brother Stephen commercial Road. Brother Jules Stephen was director with a Community of three Brothers Brothers Daniel hyacinth and evangelist. Simultaneously with the parochial primary school the sacred heart High school was opened in the Par Lor of the Brothers House with seven pupils. Brother hyacinth was the chief teacher brother Stephen also did a Little teaching there. The number of pupils increasing in the parochial school an additional brother brother Martin came in 1898. In the same year the sacred heart High school was removed from the Brothers parlor to two classrooms in the House opposite the parlor. Here the Brothers prepared pupils for the preliminary examination replaced by the old primary examination in 1901and in due course for the exams which followed it. In 1899, a further increase of parochial school pupils made Neces sary the addition of a fourth room to the South end of the building. Bro ther Bede came As an additional Mem s.h.c., Largs Bay Ber of the staff in 1900. By the end of 1901, the total number of pupils was 230 in the parochial school and Over 40 in the High school. For the latter the Brothers study was requisitioned that year As a third class room and brother Bede was transferred to the High school staff. Among other Brothers at port Ade Laide in these Early years were Bro thers Conal Barnabas and Herbert. The list of Early pupils of one or both schools includes several priests and Brothers fathers j. A. And f. Gatze. Meyer who were also later pupils at semaphore ,. Brothers William and Honorius the first local boys to join the Brothers they left for the Junior ate in 1899brother Sixtus the first to win a scholarship from the Paro Chial school to the High school he also went later to semaphore Bro ther Timothy one of the original seven pupils of the High school left for Sydney at the beginning of 1902, and brother Gregory also at Largs Bay 1905-8, but did Mot become a brother till some years later. Semaphore in 1902 an important change came when the sacred heart High school was transferred to the Seaside at semaphore with brother Stephen As director and Brothers hyacinth and Bede As his staff. Two Semi detached cottages had been rented at �120 per annul and these were formed into one school building and Brothers House by piercing two doors in the Wall. The number of pupils was now about 60. Boys also began to come from the country but there was no provision for boarding them at the school. Accommodation was arranged for them with private families. Fathers j. A. And f. Gatzemeyer and brother Sixtus have already been mentioned As attending the High school at port Adelaide and continuing to attend it at semaphore. Two other priests Are also old boys of semaphore father George Henschke m.s.c., and father Louis Gerhard o.carm., now in Melbourne. Albert Hannan k.c., is another semaphore old boy also at Largs 1905-6. Meanwhile at port Adelaide Bro ther Gabriel had taken up the directorship of the parochial school. This position he held for eight years until the end of 1909 with great Success. Boys were sent regularly for the Pri Ven. Marcellin Champagnat Mary examination. The annual school concerts were special features of his work and reached a very High Stan Dard in vocal calisthenic and drama tic items. Brother Gabriel was followed by brother Huibertus 1910 12 and brother Barnabas 1913-20. He came Back As director in 1921, and spent another six years in that position being succeeded by brother placidus now provincial in 1927, when the school was transferred to Alberton. Largs Bay a further step Forward in the for tunes of the High school was made at the beginning of 1905, when it was transferred to Largs Bay about two Miles North of the semaphore House and established As a boarding As Well As a Day school henceforth to be known As sacred heart the property of three acres was about 200 Yards from the Beach. A Stone cottage at the Corner of military Road and Hannay Street contained the Brothers study also used As a senior classroom during the Day the Bro ther director s room the parlor and continued on Page 8 my son As executor is it advisable to appoint my son As executor of my will Al though it is a natural and worthy desire experience has taught that to impose this Burden on a son who has had no Opportunity to acquire knowledge of the exacting and highly technical duties of an executor and trustee is both unfair and unwise. Added to the numerous risks and responsibilities which an executor and trustee must accept he has often the worry and trouble of discord Between beneficiaries. His is almost invariably not Only a thankless office but one to which Adverse criticism seems Natur ally to attach itself and one which the average Man is Only too Happy to avoid. It is Wiser and More considerate to appoint elder s trustee company As your executor. For 37 years this company has specialised in the efficient impartial handling of the numerous estates entrusted to its care and will be ready and willing to take up the duties of administering your estate when the necessity arises be it ten or fifty years hence. No private individual can give you this. Assurance. Ask for free Booklet wills and elder s trus tee and executor company limited elder House 37-39 Currie Street Ade Laide. El57 Advt

Search all Adelaide, South Australia newspaper archives

Explore other publications from Adelaide, South Australia

All newspaper archives for September 12, 1947

Browse
Order a high-quality 18"x24" poster print of the page above.