Acton Concord Enterprise Newspaper Archives

- Page 1

Issue Date:
Pages Available: 8

About Acton Concord Enterprise

  • Publication Name: Acton Concord Enterprise
  • Location: Acton, Massachusetts
  • Pages Available: 8,349
  • Years Available: 1888 - 1947
Learn More About This Publication


  • 2.17+ Billion Articles and Growing Everyday!
  • More Than 400 Years of Papers. From 1607 to Today!
  • Articles Covering 50 U.S.States + 22 Other Countries
  • Powerful, Time Saving Search Features!
Find Your Ancestors Now

View Sample Pages : Acton Concord Enterprise, October 09, 1918

Get Access to These Newspapers Plus 2.17+ Billion Other Articles

OCR Text

Acton Concord Enterprise (Newspaper) - October 9, 1918, Acton, Massachusetts VOLUME XXXI. 4c PER COPYWEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 9, 1918 NUMBER 7 ❖ O 0 ^ 0 0 o ❖ ❖ o o o o 4 o o o o <> o 0 o # D MAKING EVERY EFFORT NFLUENZA EPIDEMICCountry transportation NEEDS emphasize the value of this car built for business purpostsIt will pay you to visit us and examine this car The haulage cost is unusually low Miss Helen Flagg lias been very sick the past week, but is better. Mr. and Mrs. Roy Grady were ill last week. Miss Dorotliy Grady has been assisting at tlie home. A few from here attended the Groton fair. The name of Warren Wetherbee of Stow appeared in the Boston papers as severely woundod in Prance. Mary, daughter of Rev. and Mrs. L. G. Morris, had an operation performed at the Concord hospital recently and is getting along well. Mrs. Edna Touge o£ North Adams was a recent visitor at the home of George L. Towne. J. A. Goding, of the clerical force at the store of C. H. Mead & Co , was sick last week and was unable to attend the double funeral of his nephew and niece, George Goding and Miss Rose Goding, at Stow. Hall Bros. Co. lias installed a large fan and blower for shavings and saw dust at their mill. Miss Ruth Gould left recently for North Carolina. Miss Helen Flagg and two of the Emerson children were quite sick last week. Stuart MacGregor and Durton Lit-tlefield have recovered from an attack of Spanish influenza. Mrs. Harry Womboldt has been very sick with pneumonia. •Miss Hazel Gage of Maine visited recently the past week at the home of A. P. Blanchard. The Baptist parsonage has been repainted in the inside by L P. Fullon-ton, the past week. Wilbur Blume, young son of Mr. and Mrs. George Blume, was very sick last week. * P. H. Willis is gaining from his se vere illness Mrs. Moan of Auburndale, a former resident here, was in town last Mon day to- attend, the funeral of Thomas Devano. . CfiaMes Bradford of Shirley, and formerly of this town, has bought the farm of Mr. Peckham. Tim farm is better known as the late Jerry McCarthy place. The two Latroll boys, Harry and Adolf, are gaining after a- severe at tack of influenza. Leland Campbell spent last Sunday at Keene, N. H. The public schools are closecT'On account of the epidemic. Miss Hazel Stone left Monday. for her home at Kennebunk, Me.Influenza and Pneumonia IsClaiming Many Victims-Russian Priest Dead Authorities in charge of the w^r on the epidemic of influenza ( and penu-monla in Maynard are hopeful that it Is being held in check. It Is Intimated that more than 400 cases of isease have been treated In Maynard since it first made it3 appearance. Churches of every denomination were closed Sunday, In response to the appeal of the Staffe and town health authorities. FUNERAL HELD ARSDodge Touring Car S900In fine ahape and a good driver917—Ford Touring Gar $550A first class family car and runs wellOverland- Runabout S500Overhauled and in good condition The funeral of Thomas Devane of Waltham, and son of the late James Devane of this town, was held at St, Elizabeth's church Monday morning of last week. DIED AT MEDFORD All liquor saloons, wholesale and r6 tail, and soda fountains were closed Monday. Thursday all pool and billiard rooms, club rooms and bowling alleyB were closed by order of tip health authorities. The places will stay closed until the health conditions warrant their reopening. The police are under orders ta keep crowds from gathering in public places or on the streets. Every effort is being made by federal,'State Mid town; auj^orHtea, :tQ stamp out tl\i epidetttflii™- £iit>.Uc telephones have' all been covered wfth sterilized gauze, changed af£er~eacli call under health authorities' orders. The schools are closed indefinitely, CONCORD JUNCTION MRS. MARY JAQUES WOOD i^ere Milton Bean a Victim of Pneumonia Burial Services Held Wednesday Thursday night, Sept. 26, about 11 o'clock a telephone message came to Mrs. C. J. Holton, saying that "her brother, Milton Bean at Medford, was very low with pneumonia. Both Mr. and Mrs. Holton left in their car for his home, where Mrs. Holton remained until Sunday, when her brother passed away. Milton Bean was well known in Acton and Concord. He was a youug business man, just starting out in life as an optometrist, with an office at Boston, Peabody and Maynard. The young man was taken with influenza followed by pneumonia. He mada a gallant fight for life but to no avail Burial services were held at the family lot here. Wednesday. ACTON CENTRE Miss Helen B. Robbins liaB returned after a two weeks' visit in New York. E. Z. Stanley was operated on at the Deaconess hospital for appendicitis and is reported to be in a serious condition. His many friends are hoping for a favorable result of the operation. ACTON FAIR TORREY & VIALLE « Main and Waiden Streets Concord, Mass. Acton Fair was postponed owing to the Governor asking all public gatherings to cancel their dates. The same program will be carried out on the 12th,of October'. All persons who desire to contribute toward the Red Cross Fund may bring articles to be sold in the evening, by auction, the proceeds to go for Liberty Bonds and Red CroBS. FUNERAL HELD ÌTELEPHONE 245R or 8622 The funeral services of Mrs. Mary A. Parlin were held fron. her late home on Monday, Sept. 30, at 2 o'clock Rev. Mr. Robertson of the Congregational church officiated. Mrs. Parlin was born in Carlisle in the year 1838 and her parents came to Acton when she was about four years old Her 'husband died in 1899 and was a veteran of thé Civil War. Since his death Mrs. Parlin has. made her home with her brother, Asaph Parlin, who is the only remaining near relative. Interment in Woodlawn cemetery. Mr. and Mrs. E A. Phalen returned ' ! Monday afternoon from a three days' trip to New Hampshire by auto Death came suddenly into the home of ex-Officer Wood not many days ago. Mrs. Wood had seemed to be nearly in her Usual health, and was quite herself at the table on Friday noon, Sept. '¿7, but that same evening she suffered a shock from which shr did not recover. As stated in The Enterprise of last week, she died on the 28th inst., but before the dawning of the day. Mary Jaques, in her maiden name was born in West Newbury, Mass., in 1840, but through an early removal of the family she spent the larger part of her happy girlhood In Biddoford, Me. Her father subsequently re moved to Roxbury. Therfe Miss Mary became very inti mate with the daughter of Mason Robbins, and latter was a dear and frequent visitor at their Acton home It was there that she became ac quainted with Mr. Wood. At the time of the marriage, Mr. Wood was an officer in the Massacuu-setts Reformatory. In the construc tion of the buildings of this Institution in the 1870's he had been one of the carpenters. His fellow officers now bore an important part in the memorable reception given after the return of the married pair from tlieii wedding tour. These events occurred in October and November of 1886. Early in 1911 Officer Wood availed himself of the privilege of long service and seniority, to ask for retirement and his request was granted. During all the seven years since then Mr. and Mrs. Wood have spent the winters In Florida. They built'and maintained a winter home in St: Petersburg, be side retaining for summer the use o) the home at 376 Main St., West Con cord, which Mr. Wood built when a young man. Before this sickness the day was set for the closing of thiB home for the season, and returning to St. Petersburg during the present month. Besides her husband and two chil dren of an earlier marriage, Fred W. Wood of Boston, and Mrs. Grace Wood Rackle (widowed) Mrs. Wood leaVes an only sister, Mrs. Small of Concord Junction, and a "brother residing in Maine. A son also of Mrs. Rackle is now serving in the United. States navy, and is at present in the' Mediterranean. The funeral services were attended on Tuesday afternoon, at -the house and the burial followed at" Acton. One of the ministers officiating, Rev. Mr. Stone of the Union Church, alluded to the dignity of a good life, and im-pressiveness of death when, after many years of noble living, .it comes painlessly and peacefully, as if one simply fell asleep. It was In Deautiful harmony with such reflections that this funeral occurred on the afternoon of a perfect autumn -day. The air was mild and still, the sun shining brightly down npon them, as 'he sorrowing company bore the form of this be-' loved woman to rest among the. generations of the kindred of her husband, in the historic burial ground on the old Acton hillside. and all meetings of lodges and societies postponed. Dr. N. P. Ogleqby of Columbus, O., U. S. health officer, arrived in town Wednesday and is cooperating with the Board of Health in the war on the epidemic. Joshua Edwards, chairman of the Maynard board of health, with the federal officer and several nurses and volunteers, havfe canvassed the town and posted < oach house where there are patients a placard marked "Influenza," warning the people to keep out of the homes, and cautioning inmates to take every care to prevent the spread of the disease. _ Dr Simpson of Lowell, health officer1 of northern Middlesex district, is In touch with the local situation and is cooperating with the local authorities. The scarcity of physicians was partly relieved when two of the aick, Dr. Mortimer Paine und Dr. Christie, recovered and resumed .practice, and Dr: Mayell, East Acton, a retired physician, \yas impressed into service again. Dr. Ogleshv also assists and tends to emergency cases when a local physician is not available. Mi«fe. George Champagne jind Miss ®J!a Schnair, professional hur'ses, wer\ engaged as district nurses to visit the homes of the sick and were assisted by volunteers. Miss Nellie May and Miss Ethci Butterworth, school teachers, and Mary Papineau, volunteered for this work and are giving valuable assistance in the war to 6Vercome the epidemic. Principal Horace Bates, chairman of the Public Safety committee, who sends a ispatch each day to the Massachusetts Emergency Health committee of the local conditions, received the following telegram the latter part of the week from Gov. McCall: "In addition to the request of the city of Boston that the churches close, the State of Massachusetts and the city of Boston have ordered closed all saloons, soda fountains, bowling alleys, pool rooms, slot machine parlors, billiard halls, auction rooms and other places of public gatherings1. It is our earnest hope that the entire State of Massachu setts, every city and town, follow this wise example and thus assist the federal and State authorities in shecking and overcoming the Influen-ia as rapidly as possible. Samuel W. McCall, Governor." Up to Sunday night more than 200 homes had been placarded and an average of 25 new cases' a day were reported. In some homes1 entire families have been sick with the disease. An idea of the prevalence of the lisease may be gained from the.following few ' facts, tabulated the first lays the health authorities were on Lheir canvass: In 55 houses visit-id on one day, there were 100 cases; m 34 houses another day 64 cases were found, and on another trip in 33 houses, 50 cases were found. Most of the new cases were found n homes where already some one had been or was then sick with the srippe. Pneumonic complications .vere prevalent in seven per cent, of the total cases, and of these flvo per cent, were considered serious. Two deaths a day were reported tor Friday and Saturday. Saturday five funerals were held in May-nard„ of ipeople who died here and of bodies brought here for burial. Never before in the history of the town have the churches been closed, and never before were the saloonB closed due to the prevalence of sickness. Soda fountains ai.e closed to prevent infection front spoons and glasses. Ice cream, though, may be bought in bulk for home consumption. vocal selections were by Mrs. Geo. Smith and Miss Florence Mann. Mr. Carmicliael was born in New York June 13, 1889, made his home in Maynard since early childhood iin-til six years "ago, when he entered the employ of the Metz factory at Waltham. Besides his wife he is survived by an uncle and aunt, Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Wilson, Pleasant et. The bearers wore William McGar-ry, Alvah Dockerty, Roy Archer, Archie Livingston, Arthur CJiampagne and Frank Rand. Mrs. Carmicliael, who was 111 at the time of her husband's death, is reported as much improved in health.CONCORD The Grange postponed their regular meeting last week on account of the great amount of Illness. The Concord Grange Is to' hold its annual fair In the town hall, Friday Oct. 18. Mr. and MfB. Granville Holden were called to Fitchburg thè first of the week to attend a. funeral of a relative. On Sunday, "occurred the death of Mrs. Adelaide Crosby, widow of Charles C. Crosby. Mrs. Crosby was in her 80th year. The funeral services were privata Many were Interested to learn that John Macone haB recently been appointed setgeafnt. He is at Long Island. He is reported ill with the new epidemic. It will please the many friends of Capt. R. F. Rlefkohl of the 03rd Coast Artillery A. E. F., now In France to know that he has been promoted to major of the 63rd C. A. C. Mrs. J. M. Howard and family have returned to their Hubbard st. home after a several months' stay at their summer home. Preston Rankins is enjoying a furlough from his duties with the naval reserves, which he is spending at his Elm st. home. Funeral service for Private MyleB Tierney, who died Tuesday morning, Oct. 1, at Camp Upton, N. Y„ of pneumonia, was held at St. Bridget's church Saturday morning. A requiem mass was celebrated by the Rev. John E. Killion, and the music was under the direction of A. A. Hll-feHy, organist. The bearers ' were Myles King, Joseph Soanlon, Cornelius Dquraorid, P^trjcfc.Klttrklge, Nicholas Driscoll and' Dennis White, the last two representing Maynard lodge, Loyal Order of Moose. Private Tierney had been less than a month in the service when he died, a victim of the epidemic that is sweeping the cantonments and country, Another gold star will be added to Maynard'» honor roll of the men who have died in the service of the nation in the world war. Private Tierney is survived by a father, tour brothers and two sisters in Ireland, a sister, Mrs. Thos. Scan-Ian of Dorchester and a brother Thomas Tierney, Garfield1 street, Itv-nard, from whose home the burial was held. The body was brought here Friday afternoon from Camp -Upton with a military escort. He was born in Delphi, County May Ireland, Nov. 26, 1891, and has ma >>.his home here the past six years. He was employed as a carpenter by the E. W. Plttman Construction Co. A profusion of floraL tributes bore muto testimony of the love and esteem of the friends, neighbors and relatives. Interment was at St. Bridget's cemetery. U8E MORE WOOD TheophiluB Mason, Concord, chairman, and David H> O'Keefe, Concord Junction have been appointed as a Wood Fuel committee. That committee will try to induce owners of standing wood to cut much more this season than was cut last year, and to persuade consumers of coal to use wood, much more than they nave done formerly, In place of coal. This can be done If every one will help, and-the doing of it will go a long way towards preventing suffering' from a shortage of the coal supply, the coming winter. In view of the danger of' such a shortage of coal, we ask own« era of standing wood, choppers, dealers and coal consumers to co-operate in every way possible In the efforts that will be made by the Wood Fuel committee to accomplish the objects stated, which deeply concern everyone. DIED OF INFLUENZA James Reed was another of Concord's residents to die from the Spanish influenza. His death occurred in the Deaconness hosptal on Tuesday of last week. The funeral services werd held from his late home at 6 Cottage St., Friday morning, with a high mass of requiem in' the St. Bernard's church following. He Is survived by a widow, Julia Lipps Reed and two children, besides four brothers, John, Murray, Alexander and Samuel, and one sister, Elizabeth. • He was 28 years old. Great sympathy is felt for Mrs. Reed in her great loss. WOMAN'S CLUB PROGRAM William Vincent, the 11 year old son of Mr, and Mrs. Joseph O'Connor, Dartmouth st., died Friday night at 11.30 of bronchial pneumonia, following a five days' illness. Burial was Saturday afternoon at -St. Bridget's cemetery, where services were held, the Rev. Edward F. Crowley, pastor of St. Bridget's church, officiating. Miss Jennie R., the 14 year old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. James HowC Naylor ct., died Friday morning of pneumonia, following a six days' illness. Besides her parents she is survived by three brothers and two sisters. Burial was Saturday afternoon at St. Bridget's cemetery, where prayer service was held, the Rev. John E. Killion officiating. Tho ¡bearers were Nicholas Whalen, Richard King, John Kane, John Johnson, Martin Brumley and Thomas Kennedy. Mrs. Victor Rutkiewicz, 2 Main st., died Thursday at the Deaconess hospital of influenza. Besides her husband she-Is survived by four children. Funeral was held Friday with services at the grave In St. Bridget's cemetery, the Rev. Francis Joblon-skl officiating. , Webster Feeley, 27 years of age, a former resident here and brother of William Feeley of South Acton, died at the city hospital, Boston, on Thursday of pneumonia. The body was brought here for burial and funeral services were held at St. Bridget's church Saturday morning. Interment was at St. Bridget's cemetery. He is survived'by two brothers and one sister. Funeral services for Roy S. Car-michael, who died Tuesday of last week at the Waltham hospital of pneumonia, were held Thursday afternoon at Glenwood cemetery. Rev. Charles F. Parsons, pastor of the Fedeiatsa cnurches, officiated, and Mrs. Vincesia Kodls, 7 Railroad St., died Saturday morning of pneumonia after a short illness. She was 28 years of age and Is survived by a-husband and two children. Burial was at St. Bridget's cemetery, Saturday evening. Services were held at the grove, the Rev. Francis. Joblonski, pastor of St. Casi-mlr's church, officiating. Following is the program of Concord Woman's club for the coming season: Oct. 14, 3 to 5 p. m.—Reception to the president—music. Oct. 28, at 3 p. m.—Literature; lecture by Professor Bliss Perry, subject "Alexander Hamilton." \ Nov. 11, at 3 p. m.,—Camp DevenV. Day—Lecture by Rev. Smith O. Dexter, subject: "My1'Experiences During Six Months as Chaplain at Camp Devens;" Tea; Regimental (Band if available. ' Nov. 25, at 3 p. m.—Lecture by Dr. Woods Hutchinson; Subject: "Social Gains of the Great Tragedy." Dec. 9, at 3 p. m.—Education; Lecture by Dr. Payson Smith, State Commissioner of Education: Subject: "Education After thé War." Jan. 13, 1919, at 3 p. m.—Travel: Lecture by Dr. Frederick Marble, Subject: "Korea," Illustrated by stereop^ flcon Jan. 27, at 3 p. m.—Home Talent Day—To be repeated for Red Cross Benefit; Living Statues of Women in Sculpture. (Arranged by Mrs. Cyrus E. Dallin; Tea. Feb. 10, at 3 p. m.—Children's Day: F. O. Harrell, Magician; Magical Pro gram, Musical Glasses and Swiss Bells. Feb. 24, at 3 p. m„ in Unitarian vestry—Conservation Day; Woman and Food; Demonstration Lecture; Speaker from Amherst Agricultural College. March 10, at 3 p. m.—To be announced. March 24 at 3 p. m.—To be announced. March 14 at 3 p. m.—Annual meeting. The body of Everett Haynes, a former resident and son of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Haynes, who lived on Great rd. near St. Bridget's cemetery, was brought here Friday for burial. He was 29 years of age and died at Nashua, N. H., of pneumonia. Rev. Alexander Lupinovitch, pasto? of the Russian Greek Catholic church, died at his home on Elm st. ■Saturday night at 10.15 of pneumonia. JJe first complained of feeling III the Sunday previous, and took (Continued on Page 5) barbollo Acid for Carbuncles. In an article in the New York Medical Journal Dr. Edward H. Ochsner reported very favorable results In the treatment of carbuncles by injections of carbolic acid. The injection gives immediate relief from pain and the sore heals rapidly."FIGHTING FOURTH" ♦ LIBERTY LOAN Begins SEPTEMBER 28th Get ready; save to boy; bay early ;