New Braunfels Herald Zeitung, October 11, 2000

New Braunfels Herald Zeitung

View full pageStart a free trial

Issue date:

Pages available: 16

Previous edition:

Next edition:

NewspaperARCHIVE.com - Used by the World's Finest Libraries and Institutions

About New Braunfels Herald Zeitung

Publication name: New Braunfels Herald Zeitung

Location: New Braunfels, Texas

Pages available: 319,437

Years available: 1952 - 2013

Learn more about this publication

About NewspaperArchive.com

  • 2.16+ billion articles and growing everyday!
  • More than 400 years of papers. From 1607 to today!
  • Articles covering 50 U.S.States + 22 other countries
  • Powerful, time saving search features!
Find your ancestors now
Start your Genealogy Search now
See with your own eyes the newspapers your great-great grandparents held.

View sample pages : New Braunfels Herald Zeitung, October 11, 2000

Get access to these newspapers Plus 2.16+ billion other articles

OCR Text

New Braunfels Herald Zeitung (Newspaper) - October 11, 2000, New Braunfels, Texas Council delays action on new drainage rules By Jo Lee Ferguson Staff Writer Some pending single-family developments could be exempt from a new fee New Braunfels City Council is considering as part of a proposed drainage ordinance. On Monday, council postponed final action on the proposed ordinance. Instead, the council elected to let city staff add some proposed changes and publish the ordinance in the newspaper three times as required by law. After that, council will conduct a public hearing on the proposed ordinance in November. The council then could make changes to the ordinance before approving it a third and final time. City Manager Mike Shands said most of the new changes are clerical. “Probably the change of substance was allowing a master plan to constitute a basis for exemption from the ordinance, which had been removed at a prior council meeting,” he said. The drainage committee developed the proposed ordinance. It includes two possible fees: a watershed system development fee for new developments and a watershed management utility fee for existing improved property. As originally presented, die ordinance would have waived the watershed system development fee for residential developments if they had approved master or concept plans and drainage plans or final plats before the ordinance went into effect. However, Councilwoman Juliet Watson previously led efforts to reword that provision to instead waive the watershed system development fee only for those developments that have filed final plats before the ordinance becomes law. After Monday’s meeting, the proposed ordinance would waive the What’s Next? ; ■ The proposed ordinance will be published three times in the newspaper. ■ Council will conduct a public hearing in November and make changes before third and final reading. ■ The ordinance does not go into effect until 60 days after final approval. ■ City will publish three times the proposed resolution setting the watershed system development fees and the watershed management utility fees. ■ Council will conduct another public hearing on the proposed fees and consider approval of the fees. fee for single-family residential developments that have approved master plans and master drainage plans or final plats. The change was proposed after Shands discussed the issue with a spokesman representing local developers. “His argument, which I felt had merit, was that, No. I, this ordinance imposes two restrictions on developers,” Shands said. “One is that they must contain their runoff” That means that no more water can leave a piece of property after development than did before development, he said. “In addition, they also pay a fee,” Shands said. “Their point was, in other cities, it’s either or. In San Antonio, for example, you either See DRAINAGESNEW«figiLjFELSHerald-' Water Restrictions ■ New Braunfels Utilities customers with addresses ending in 3,4 or 5 can water today before 9 a.m. and after 7 p.m. For information, call 608-8925Vol. 149 No. 248    16    pages    in    2    sections    October    ll,    2000    IT    7    x    ^„    .    T    .    Serving    Comal    County    since    1852    50    cents Wednesday RON MALONEY/Herald-Zeitung Rescue workers walk ashore with a body discovered in Canyon Lake Tuesday afternoon. Body recovered from Canyon Lake By Ron Maloney Staff Writer CANYON LAKE — Officials pulled a body from Canyon Lake Tuesday that likely belongs to the 14-year-old Houston boy missing since September 23. Comal County Sheriff’s Sgt. Jimmy Limmer said a fisherman reported finding the body floating on the lake at about 5:15 p.m. Tuesday. Sheriff’s Det. Tommy Ward said the body was recovered from the area of the lake where divers searched for Anthony Shephard, 14, of Houston. He said a medical examiner would attempt to identify the corpse at an autopsy scheduled for today in San Antonio. Ward said Shephard’s family was informed of the find Tuesday evening. “We found a body in the same area as the one we’ve been looking for — for the past few weeks,” Ward said. “Right now, we only have a physical description. Tomorrow, we’ll conduct the autopsy to see if we can get a positive identification.” Canyon Lake Fire/EMS divers, Chief Shawn Wherry, Capt. Mark Montgomery and firefighter Dan Donaldson were dispatched to the scene on Jet Skis. They placed the body in a bag and loaded it onto a U.S. Army Corps of Engineers patrol boat, where it was taken to the dock at Jacob’s Creek Park on the north side of the lake. Corps of Engineers ranger Judy Scott and Canyoi) Lake firefighters Mike Shown and Scott Trial carried the body ashore. The few people who showed up for an informational meeting about the upcoming changes at New Braunfels High School got a glimpse at the future of the campus — and things could not look brighter. Superintendent Ron Reaves explained a new traffic pattern and the construction schedule at NBHS, 2551 Loop 337, to a small group of parents on Tuesday night in the school cafeteria. The most immediate change could happen within the next seven days when officials expect a new traffic signal to be operational. Currently, all six entrances and exits at the high school handle two-way traffic. But the fatal car accident that killed NBHS students Shelby Farnsworth and Fernando Diaz Jr. prompted school officials to study traffic flow at their school. As soon as the traffic signal is online, the new traffic .pattern will take effect. A traffic arm donated by Lightning Metals Specialty Inc. will help control the flow near the baseball field. NBHS District superintendent outlines work schedule for traffic flow changes By Jennifer Rodriguez Staff Writer traffic plan Campus motorist input and a study by the Texas Transportation Institute helped officials plan the changes. Two exits in the back of the school will remain two-way drives, but the three that cross Loop 337 will change. The driveway by the new library will become exit-only, and the two exits closer to Highway 46 — the main entrance and the baseball field driveway — will become entrance-only driveways. Buses are allowed to use the baseball field driveway, which is close to the bus bam, as an exit. Reaves said their drive times do not interfere with the school’s busy traffic times. With all the re-routing and construction, officials expect traffic to increase in the back of the school along Ohio Street. Reaves also went over the district’s 30-month construction plan for the school. Highlights include expanded football stadium seating; an open, mall-style cafeteria with a career center at the end; expanded band hall facilities; an indoor, four-sided, arena-style gymnasium that will seat about 1,700 visitors; and new hallways to improve K. JESSIE SLATEN/Herald-Zeitung NBISD Superintendent Ron Reaves speaks to a small gathering at New Braunfels High School Tuesday evening. Reaves outlined the building and traffic flow plans to be implemented during the next 30 months at the school. access to previously hard-to-reach parts of the school. “I think it’s fantastic,” NBHS parent Isabel Campos said. “The new look of the high school is uplifting. The Commons is going to be awesome. It’ll be so welcom-ing- Construction will create some campus-wide cramping. First, a popular parking spot for space-hungry students at the school will be closed soon to make room for construction on the band hall side of the building. See TRAFFIC/5A Center expansion eyed By Jo Lee Ferguson Staff Writer An organization proposing to expand the New Braunfels Civic Center said the city could lose the bed tax money it spends on the civic center now. On Tuesday, the city’s hotel occupancy tax committee heard two proposals for spending the city’s hotel occupancy tax revenues. The committee is charged with making recommendations to city council for spending a portion of the city’s bed tax revenues. The New Braunfels Community Chorale asked for $2,000 to purchase risers. Also, the New Braunfels Lodg ing and Restaurant Association presented two possible plans to expand the civic center. One would cost $3.5 million and expand the center to 23,750-square-feet from 15,000-square-feet. The second option would cost $6.5 million and expand the center to 33,207-square-feet. Sharon Toeller, information officer for the lodging association, said state law requires that the bed tax money be used for tourism events. The group will not make funding recommendations to the council until later. Applications for funds will be accepted at the municipal building through Nov. 3.Inside Abby................................5A Classifieds.....................5-8B Comics..............................2B Crossword........................5A Forum.................................6A Local/Metro........................4A Movies.................................5A Obituaries...........................3A Sports............................7-8A Today.................................2    A Television..............................SAwww.herakFieftung.com (Key Code 76) City nixes Brookshire deal By Jo Lee Ferguson Staff Writer Brookshire Homes is abandoning the Meadow Creek subdivision after the New Braunfels City Council left the bargaining table Tuesday night. The city council, with two members absent, voted to reject a proposed settlement agreement with Brookshire Homes and continue with litigation. And Brookshire Homes said the litigation would proceed. Brookshire Homes Spokesman T.J. Connolly said the city’s actions have caused millions of dollars worth of damage to Brookshire through lost sales and damage to future sales. Also, the company said it will not build any more homes in the Meadow Creek subdivision. “The plan is Brookshire Homes will go ahead and complete the 12 homes (already under construction),” said Brookshire Homes Spokesman T.J. Connolly. Brookshire will then “abandon” the Meadow Creek subdivision, he said, and let the city see if it can find someone to build in the subdivision given the varied dynamics of the homes there. The battle with Brookshire Homes began a number of months ago when Brookshire Homes received four permits to build in the Meadow Creek subdivision off Pahmeyer Road. Area residents petitioned the city, complaining about the type of homes that would be built in the subdivision. The city put the building permits on hold four days after they were issued. City staff maintained that the homes violated city code because they were not the same average value, size, type and construction as other homes in the area. Biookshire Homes sued the city See BROOKSHIRE/^ ;

RealCheck