New Braunfels Herald Zeitung, September 11, 1985

New Braunfels Herald Zeitung

September 11, 1985

View full page Start A Free Trial!

Issue date: Wednesday, September 11, 1985

Pages available: 25

NewspaperARCHIVE.com - Used by the World's Finest Libraries and Institutions
About New Braunfels Herald ZeitungAbout NewspaperArchive.com

Publication name: New Braunfels Herald Zeitung

Location: New Braunfels, Texas

Pages available: 311,884

Years available: 1952 - 2013

Learn more about this publication
  • 2.10+ billion articles and growing everyday!
  • More than 400 years of papers. From 1607 to today!
  • Articles covering 50 U.S.States + 22 other countries
  • Powerful, time saving search features!
Start your membership to the world's largest newspaper archive now!
Start your genealogy search now!
See with your own eyes the newspapers your great-great grandparents held.

View sample pages : New Braunfels Herald Zeitung, September 11, 1985

All text in the New Braunfels Herald Zeitung September 11, 1985, Page 1.

New Braunfels Herald-Zeitung (Newspaper) - September 11, 1985, New Braunfels, Texas 410 MOSS MICROPLEX MITCH WOMBLE BOX 45436 TX 75245 Local Newsmans death hits close to home See below Water Watch Comal cfs up 11 Canyon cfs down 55 Canyon cfs same Edwards Aquifer up Canyon Lake level up City Bones delay annex construction for a bit See below Fun and fitness at Petes Page 6A New Braunfels Herald New Texas Wednesday September 25 Cents 38 Pages3 Sections Schertz officer stable after shooti By SARAH DUKE Staff writer SCHERTZ A Schertz police was listed in stable condition this mornng inValley Oak Regional Hospital after being shot at a Schertz home Police officer James Mac was shot by a shotgun after arriving at a home where a burglary was reported to be in After a 90 minute standoff with law enforcement officers from Police chief calls for FBI investigation ByDANA OVERSTREET Staff writer Saying that his department has been wrongly accused of New Braunfels Police Chief Burney Boeck has asked for an FBI in vestigation into such At a press conference this mor Boeck issued a statement For too many weeks the New Braunfels Police Department has been subjected to allegations of misconduct and abuse without any of the charges being This has gone on long citizens of New Braunfels and the police officers do not deserve to have this department in this manner any longer with a proper See Page 10A Death penalty sought competency hearing set By DEBBIE DeLOACH Staff writer Comal County District Attorney Bill Schroeder said he will seek the death penalty against Rodolfo if he is found competent to stand trialfor capital 207th District Court Judge Robert Pfeuffer granted the competency hearing in pretrial motions As of presstime 12 jurors were being chosen to hear testimony and decide the competency Their decision will ultimately determine if there will be a trial at was one of two San Antonio men charged with capital in connection with the ganglandstyle shootings of five Mexican nationals off FM 1863 on March The other Jesse Garibay has struck an apparent plea bargain with the state in ex change for his testimony against Jury selection for the trial was scheduled to begin at 9 but Court Administrator Martin Allen Said that has now been post poned until 9 Allen said Pfeuffer granted the competency hearing because the issue of competency was and after reading case he felt like he just about had to afford them See MURDER Page 10A Local man mounts hunger strike to protest TDC action By DANA OVERSTREET Staff writer A month after he says he began a hunger strike to illuminate excessive punishment at the Texas Department of a New Braunfels man this week remains in the prison A prison spokesman said Monday that Robert serving 35 years in TDCs Ellis II unit in has not yet been Spokesman Charles Brown said Monday that Delgado admitted to being on hunger strike on Delgado says he began his strike 7 in protest of his being placed in solitary confinement in June after refusing to shave and get a haircut due to my religious beliefs which superseded TDC I was excessively sentenced to 45 days in solitary lost days of earned good time reduced from trusty III status to the lowest class status L3 and lost all privileges recreation including the loss of the right to receive second and third class Delgado States in a letter dated After completing the above sentence again for the same disciplinary the disciplinary committee doubled our punishment and place me in security detention and ordered all privileges the letter Delgados letter states that he was shaved and his hair cut while he was in super which he says is worse than solitary confinement because there are fewer privileges and recreation On Brown the prisons medical staff examined who had not lost enough weight to be placed in the in Brown said Delgado was put in the infirmary 30 showing signs of Brown did not say how much weight Delgado has lost to but Delgados letter says that on he had lost 26 pounds in 24 Delgados letter also states that he can now receive substitute like the when pork is He said that because he has taken the Nazarite he cannot eat A federal lawsuit filed by Delgado protesting conditions in the Comal County jail forced the See HUNGER Page 10A Universal Guadalupe County and the Texas Department of Public Willie of 161 Curtis surrended to The Schertz police department received a call of a burglary in process at Tuesday at the home at 161 Curtis When Mac Sorley and officer Brian Doerk arrived at the a shot came from inside the house and hit Mac Schertz Police Chief James Keith said Mac Sorley was hit with a 8 bird shot from a 12gauge He was injured in his neck and upper Ten minutes after Mac Sorely was an ambulance carried him to the Keith said Mac Sorely was con Police officers arrived and evacuated the homes in the surrounding See Page 10A Upgrade project DERYL CLARK HERALD ZEITUNG New Braunfels Utilities is in the process of changing poles and upgrading lines in the area of Lone Katy and San Antonio Bones delay annex construction for short time By LILLIAN THOMAS Staff writer Bones found at the construction site of the Courthouse Annex stopped work in one small area for three days until the bones were identified as animal rather than Lloyd site supervisor for had his workers stop digging one footing site late Friday when bones were uncovered while excavating a foundation said Mary administrative assisitant for Comal County Com missioners The bones were lying in a hole that had been the body Brotze Before he talked to the architectural assistant also said he had found some glass and but that turned out not to be in the same and from the early 20s and But the bones alone would have been enough to cause the con struction to stop until a deter Newsmans death hits close to home By SARAH DUKE Staff writer When two NBC newsmen were killed in Mondays unsuccesful coup attempt in the grief was felt close to They were just doing their said Paul of 7 River Oaks New Bill a soundman with NBC killed during the coup was his Bill and Neil were caught in crossfire during the coup Davis was the NBC bureau chief in Latch said he remembered his nephew as a fine young He had worked in Thailand since I took him deer hunting with me a few Latch I guess we were pretty Its ironic that his father was at Pearl Harbor and Latch And 44 years later his only son is killed by a bunch of brutes in The coup attempt failed less than 12 hours after it They murdered Latch They were just unarmed civilians and they murdered Latch said he has just gotten over the initial shock and did not know whether he and his wife would attend funeral Bill Latch grew up in where his Billy still the New Braunfels man Latch said he had always read about the horrors of terrorism and he he knows they can strike close to initiation or origin could be under the Texas Antiquities Code of the Natural Resources We called Mark Denton with the Antiquities Committee of the Texas Historical and he brought in an archeologist and later a physical anthropologist with the University of Texas and they determined that the bones were some kind of fourlegged not Brotze Denton came down but not enough of the skeleton was showing to make a Denton and construction workers had put in the pit all of the bones they had found which were from other It turns out that this area was a trash dump at the turn of the century and early 20th Denton The mix of bones confused and I thought there was still a possibility of human remains Tom Gootenjohn with the Institute of Texas Cultures came to bid the archeology work that might be Denton but once he dug a little around the bones he speculated they were either dog or coyote Once Denton heard he brought in Barbara Jackson with the University of Texas Archeological Survey to make a final determination that they were so that the county could get back to work on that area of Inside Todays Weather A 50 percent chance of rain today decreases to 20 percent tonight and 30 percent Since the radio station recorded only inch of but Canyon had If rain does not cool things temperatures could reach the lower90s and fall to the lower70s Tuesdays high was 94 and this mornings low was Sunset will be at and sunrise will at Final concert Parks and Recreation Departments Concertinthe See Page 2A CLASSIFIED COMICS 69B 2C DEARABBY 38 DEATHS 2A ENTERTAINMENT 7C HOROSCOPE 6C KALEIDOSCOPE 13B OPINIONS 1C SPORTS STOCKS 10A David Owens will perform the final WEATHE R 2A ;

RealCheck